2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

[quote name='gallas2' timestamp='1371649138' post='7280808']
[quote name='Lobber' timestamp='1371605850' post='7277750']
Anyone have experience with Z65 shaft in these? Not a fan of CFS shafts and thinking Z65 may be a good option. Any feedback appreciated
[/quote]

I like the CFS stiff better. It took a few months but I find the dispersion better. ZZ65 may be too stiff for me though (86mph 6iron).

FWIW, there's a set of g25's on ebay right now (white dot) with zz65. Seller has erroneously said they are Regular.
[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up. I saw those and was tempted but gonna demo with multiple shafts first to be sure!

[quote name='EdMan63' timestamp='1371563052' post='7271164']
I've been playing with my G25's for about 4 rounds now. Yes, I've finally figured out some issues I was having earlier in the year with my swing, but these clubs have been nothing short of fantastic. I play to a 9.5 index and have black dots with CFS stiff shafts. I've had some very good ball striking days and if nothing else the long irons are just amazing. I've never hit so many good shots with 4 and 5 irons. I feel completely confident with one of those clubs in my hand. I'm very happy I decided to give these irons a go. I also play the driver, 4w and 20* hybrid. Ping did a great job with the entire lineup IMO. Really looking forward to the rest of the season.
[/quote]

I am one that really does not like the concept of changiing irons. In fact, I still believe if you are hitting your irons in the sweet spot consistently, then changing will produce little variance. However, getting properly fitted will make a difference. The combination of proper fitting and major swing changes,has produced a significant increase in distance and has improved consistency. These are the best irons that I have ever owned...Great job Ping!.

[quote name='Emmett' timestamp='1371603627' post='7277460']
Really like my new irons - but it jumped up the scale of like last week when I had my first hole in one at the age of 70! Gap (U) wedge felt so sweet and it was great. By the way, this wedge is great chipping around the green. Love them and the new 3 wood too.
[/quote]

Congrats on your first ever hole in one. I am still chasing mine but I have come close a few times already with these irons, keep hitting so many shots dead on.

Did you have any friends with you to share it?

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

[quote name='sharkiesj' timestamp='1371660446' post='7282572']

I actually recently put the G25 L wedge in the bag, replacing my Eye2 SW that I've played with forever. My Eye2 SW is my go to club for my short game, always has been but just decided to see what would happen if I played matching wedges with my G25 irons. Couldn't be happier. Really like it. Can hit all the shots and its even easier out of the sand than the Eye2, which I didn't think was possible.

Ended up not liking the G25 S Wedge so dropped it and now go G25 PW, U Wedge, L Wedge then Tour Rustique 64*.
[/quote]

Why didn't you like the G25 S wedge? How does it differ from the U wedge (besides loft, of course)? I have the PW and U, but have not even been able to look at an S wedge.

SDL

I have been following this thread about the G25 irons for some time and since I have been wanting to get some new irons this year, I demoed them at my local pro shop here in Germany last night.

But before I get into my results, some background about my (iron) game:
I am 45 years old and play to a 13,5 hcp. index. I could probably drop a couple of shots further if I played more regularly, but since we have 3 kids and I travel alot for work, time at the range and golf course has been limited over the last couple of years....I get to play about once/twice per month plus about 2-4 visits to the range/month. I currently play AP2 irons with the Nippons NSPRO stiff shafts. They are still the first generation from when Titleist intruduced the AP seriens about 5/6 years ago. My iron play is fairly solid, but obviously with so little play nowadays I want an iron that is more forgiving, just straight and high...So everything I read about the G25 sounds exactly like this is the iron I am looking for.... :golfer:

So I got to try them last night at the range, off mats (which I don't actually like, its never the same playing off mats compared to playing on grass..) and with the pro's LM.
This is where things got complicated, the LM readings... :swoon:
First of all, the spin rate and launch angle with the G25 7 iron+CFS stiff shaft was better the with my AP2 7 iron. AP2s spun way too much, about 800-1500 rpm higher than G25s.
If I recall the readings correctly (I tried too many combos, so I got confused at some point) my APs spun between 5.000-6.000 and carry distance was on average 125 meters, total distance around 130 meters.
The G25 7iron spun on average around 4.500 rpm and seemed more consistent. Launch angle was higher and carry distance was around 130 meters, total around 135-137
But then the pro gave me an i20 / iron (same CFS stiff steel shaft) which interestingly enough spun lower then the G25, same or slightly higher lauch and again about 3-5 meters more carry....than the G25?
WOW, the LM readings of the i20 seemed really consistent, better launch angle, spin between 3.900-4.400 and carry around 135 meters, total distance above 140meters.

BUT, I don't really like to looks of the i20 irons, they just don't appeal to me. And as I said above, I want an easy to hit iron which is more forgiving than what I am playing now.
So has anyone had the same experience with the i20 irons? Are they really low spinning?
Can you guys recommend another shaft in the G25 irons to optimize spin and carry readings? or shall I just not worry too much about "theoretical" LM readings off mats..?

I will do some further on-course testing next week with the G25 and i20 7irons side by side and see how they perform under real course conditions....Just wanted to share my LM experience from last night and see what people here think about different shafts in the G25..

Thanks

[quote name='Johann' timestamp='1371715213' post='7288222']
I have been following this thread about the G25 irons for some time and since I have been wanting to get some new irons this year, I demoed them at my local pro shop here in Germany last night.

I am 45 years old and play to a 13,5 hcp. index. I could probably drop a couple of shots further if I played more regularly, but since we have 3 kids and I travel alot for work, time at the range and golf course has been limited over the last couple of years....I get to play about once/twice per month plus about 2-4 visits to the range/month. I currently play AP2 irons with the Nippons NSPRO stiff shafts. They are still the first generation from when Titleist intruduced the AP seriens about 5/6 years ago. My iron play is fairly solid, but obviously with so little play nowadays I want an iron that is more forgiving, just straight and high...So everything I read about the G25 sounds exactly like this is the iron I am looking for.... :golfer:

So I got to try them last night at the range, off mats (which I don't actually like, its never the same playing off mats compared to playing on grass..) and with the pro's LM.
First of all, the spin rate and launch angle with the G25 7 iron+CFS stiff shaft was better the with my AP2 7 iron. AP2s spun way too much, about 800-1500 rpm higher than G25s.
If I recall the readings correctly (I tried too many combos, so I got confused at some point) my APs spun between 5.000-6.000 and carry distance was on average 125 meters, total distance around 130 meters.
The G25 7iron spun on average around 4.500 rpm and seemed more consistent. Launch angle was higher and carry distance was around 130 meters, total around 135-137
But then the pro gave me an i20 / iron (same CFS stiff steel shaft) which interestingly enough spun lower then the G25, same or slightly higher lauch and again about 3-5 meters more carry....than the G25?
WOW, the LM readings of the i20 seemed really consistent, better launch angle, spin between 3.900-4.400 and carry around 135 meters, total distance above 140meters.

BUT, I don't really like to looks of the i20 irons, they just don't appeal to me. And as I said above, I want an easy to hit iron which is more forgiving than what I am playing now.
So has anyone had the same experience with the i20 irons? Are they really low spinning?
Can you guys recommend another shaft in the G25 irons to optimize spin and carry readings? or shall I just not worry too much about "theoretical" LM readings off mats..?

I will do some further on-course testing next week with the G25 and i20 7irons side by side and see how they perform under real course conditions....Just wanted to share my LM experience from last night and see what people here think about different shafts in the G25..

Thanks
[/quote]

Numbers are interesting and can be useful so here are some for comparison.

Per Trackman data from 2011, the average PGA players 7i launch conditions were about 16 degrees and 7100 rpm. The average LPGA player came in at about 19 degrees and 6700 rpm.

If you indeed remembered the numbers correctly, your G25 7 iron spin numbers are approximately equal to the average PGA 3 iron and LPGA 5 wood. If one assumes that professionals are within shouting distance of optimal, you actually need more spin - quite a bit more. This is not likely to come from a different shaft but rather different impact conditions.

In any case, good luck with your choice. The search is half the fun.

WITB Link

[quote name='WT Door' timestamp='1371718110' post='7288282']

Per Trackman data from 2011, the average PGA players 7i launch conditions were about 16 degrees and 7100 rpm. The average LPGA player came in at about 19 degrees and 6700 rpm.

If you indeed remembered the numbers correctly, your G25 7 iron spin numbers are approximately equal to the average PGA 3 iron and LPGA 5 wood. If one assumes that professionals are within shouting distance of optimal, you actually need more spin - quite a bit more. This is not likely to come from a different shaft but rather different impact conditions.

[/quote]

Thanks for the insight...
Not that I compare my LM data to PGA pros, but its still interesting to learn from LM data and see where this is leading. And obviously I'll have to note the actual figures in future to better recall/analyse them (because I did get confused in the end as we had tried so many different options). Although I am not too keen on LM data but rather see how I get on with a club. But as I said, the i20 7iron gave me much lower spin rates, same/sightly higher launch angle and better distances than the G25 7 iron, regardless of possible swing flaws.
Anyhow, I understand that my numbers are certainly not optimal, but due to too little practice time I fear I have to live with my swing for the time beeing and try and make the best out of it...and find the best G25 / shaft combination for my setup.

Johann

[quote name='johnnybogey' timestamp='1371648635' post='7280738']
Been following this thread for quite some time now. Been to golfsmith many times drooling over the G25 irons.

Then I played Bethpage last week and I can confidently say, my G15 irons are not going anywhere!!! they are the most consistent clubs in my bag right now (along with my G10 15* hybrid).

Sure, a thinner sole and nice finish would be great along with the other improvements but I learned a couple years ago when I first started playing golf, "don't fix it if it ain't broke" when I sold my TM R5 driver with prolaunch blue and started a downward sprial of driver after driver.

My next purchase will be driver fitting and lessons.
[/quote]

Is Golfsmith a good fitter? Or do you guys prefer the local club?

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

[quote name='Onicov' timestamp='1371752939' post='7291646']
How do these compare to the Titleist AP2s? I need a new set of irons and I'm not sure which to go for..
Thanks
[/quote]

Read the very first post, the OP came from a set of AP2. They are very different clubs, it all depends on what you like. Me I like shooting lower scores so I shelved my Mizuno MP53 ( very silmilar to AP2) and there is no way I am going back to a less forgiving club. The G25 is everything you read and more, some can' t look at a clubhead unless it is small with a thin top line and sole. If you can look at these they will not disappoint.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

I saw a few mentions in this thread of comparisons to the Mizuno 825 Pro's. Has anybody compared the G25's to the regular Mizuno 825 (non-pro version)? According to Mizuno's tests, the 4-7 irons are more forgiving than the G25. Just wondering if anyone had hit both sets side by side? I'm coming off rotator cuff surgery and hope to be cleared to hit in a couple weeks. I've narrowed my search down to the G25's or 825 Mizzy's.

Thanks for any insight!

Titleist TS3 Driver
Callaway Rogue 13.5 degree 3W
Callaway Rogue 19 degree 5W
Callaway Epic Flash 21 degree 7-wood or
Mizuno MP-H5 21 degree 3 iron
Mizuno MP-4 4-PW
Callaway MD3 54 degree
Callaway MD3 58 degree

[quote name='sirvinim' timestamp='1371762464' post='7292720']
I saw a few mentions in this thread of comparisons to the Mizuno 825 Pro's. Has anybody compared the G25's to the regular Mizuno 825 (non-pro version)? According to Mizuno's tests, the 4-7 irons are more forgiving than the G25. Just wondering if anyone had hit both sets side by side? I'm coming off rotator cuff surgery and hope to be cleared to hit in a couple weeks. I've narrowed my search down to the G25's or 825 Mizzy's.

Thanks for any insight!
[/quote]

This may help. Video by Mark Crossfield comparing the two.

http://youtu.be/TJGwZJdXbVw

Thanks for any insight!
[/quote]

I've been vacillating between the G25's, AP1's and the Mizuno 825 irons, hitting 6 and 7 irons.
The 825's have consistently been the longest of the three sets, and the AP1's have the best feel (for me). The G25's are the shortest, but only by a few yards. The one thing for me is that I don't don't need the stupid long distance I get from the 825's. So.... I went with the G25's. My swing speed is on the high end of regular. The CFS shafts play a little soft to flex so I ordered stiff shafts soft stepped twice. This should be like a firm regular and give me a little more weight in the shaft and help with dispersion. The Ping CFS stiff is still just a touch lighter than the XP reg in the Mizuno and Titleist.

Bottom line... I could go with any of these irons and be equally happy. My heart was with the AP1's but the retail situation led me to the Pings. Three great irons.

[quote name='johnnybogey' timestamp='1371763512' post='7292816']

Thanks for any insight!
[/quote]

This may help. Video by Mark Crossfield comparing the two.[/quote]

Looks like that is the 825 not the 825-pro that he is using... IMO, the 825-pro is more comparable, at least based on me hitting them both at demo days.

[quote name='WT Door' timestamp='1371718110' post='7288282']

Per Trackman data from 2011, the average PGA players [size=5][b]7i launch conditions were about 16 degrees[/b][/size] and 7100 rpm. The average LPGA player came in at about 19 degrees and 6700 rpm.

[/quote]

Ummmmm,,,,, perhaps I'm misunderstanding this but a 7 iron has about 35* of loft, give or take 1 or 2.

How can it launch at 16* ? What am I missing ?

[quote name='Johann' timestamp='1371715213' post='7288222']

Thanks
[/quote]

Johann,

This is the first time *I* can recall reading/hearing about a player getting fit for irons based on spin rate.

I personally have NEVER paid any attention to spin rate and very seldom to launch angle either.

For ME, if I can repeat my swing with them, they feel right to me and I get consistent (and acceptable) distance and dispersion, that's enough for me.

I don't know the difference in the ball's reaction to say an 8 iron spin rate of +/- 1,000 RPMs but I can't imagine it makes much more difference than the ball ending up 7-10 feet further (land & release) than where it lands or a similar distance in front of where it lands (check and spin back) but in either case I'm sure one would adjust easily enough to the different distances.

If the HEIGHT of the shot really bothers you and you prefere a different ball flight I can see that as an issue but spin ?

Frankly, (especially) at a 13 AND a "part-timer" who doesn't have enough time to devote to becoming a really good player I'd worry a LOT more about consistency and respectable distance/direction and not so much about height and spin.

Good luck in your search. :ok:

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='SDL' timestamp='1371697060' post='7287198']
[quote name='sharkiesj' timestamp='1371660446' post='7282572']
I actually recently put the G25 L wedge in the bag, replacing my Eye2 SW that I've played with forever. My Eye2 SW is my go to club for my short game, always has been but just decided to see what would happen if I played matching wedges with my G25 irons. Couldn't be happier. Really like it. Can hit all the shots and its even easier out of the sand than the Eye2, which I didn't think was possible.

Ended up not liking the G25 S Wedge so dropped it and now go G25 PW, U Wedge, L Wedge then Tour Rustique 64*.
[/quote]

Why didn't you like the G25 S wedge? How does it differ from the U wedge (besides loft, of course)? I have the PW and U, but have not even been able to look at an S wedge.

SDL
[/quote]

I didn't like the S because it didnt do anything for me. My wedge spacing was too close and since I love my 64*, the L fits nicely and I can do everything with the U that I could with the S so the S got the boot. It's purely a wedge spacing thing for me and not a performance thing or tech thing ie. too much bounce, too much rake, no feel, etc.

How is the finish holding up on the G25's? It looks like Ping has been experimenting with different iron finishes over the past few years and I am curious how this darker finish is holding up. Glade to see they kept the logos to a minimum on the G25's I was looking at the i20 and S56 irons at Dick's the other day and the tungsten weighting decal on the toe of the 6-iron of each set was partially rubbed off.

Anyone have experience with Z65 shaft in these? Not a fan of CFS shafts and thinking Z65 may be a good option. Any feedback appreciated
[/quote]

The CFS shaft is based off the ZZ65 shaft. The ZZ65 shaft has been a very popular shaft for Ping. The ZZ65 shaft definitely plays strong to flex. A stiff CFS is roughly a ZZ65 shaft soft-stepped twice. Don't forget to include the cushion. As one Ping fitter told me, it's a must.

[color=#ffa500]Ping G400 Max 10* Fujikura Atmos
Ping G400 16.5 Tour80
Ping G400 Hybrid 19
Ping G Irons Nippon Pro Modus3 105
Ping I25 Gap/Callaway SW
Bobby Grace Smart Fit F-18[/color]

Ummmmm,,,,, perhaps I'm misunderstanding this but a 7 iron has about 35* of loft, give or take 1 or 2.

How can it launch at 16* ? What am I missing ?

A quick search found this:

trackman_pga_vs_lpga_data.jpg

Thanks but can you post a link so I can read a bit more ?

Guess I'm just not understanding,,,,,,,,,,,

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='Centrecut' timestamp='1371825786' post='7297084']
[/quote]

The CFS shaft is based off the ZZ65 shaft. The ZZ65 shaft has been a very popular shaft for Ping. The ZZ65 shaft definitely plays strong to flex. A stiff CFS is roughly a ZZ65 shaft soft-stepped twice. Don't forget to include the cushion. As one Ping fitter told me, it's a must.
[/quote]

Thanks for the insights. ZZ65 may fit me perfectly since the CFS does not.

[quote name='JimTurkey' timestamp='1371751782' post='7291526']
Been following this thread for quite some time now. Been to golfsmith many times drooling over the G25 irons.

Then I played Bethpage last week and I can confidently say, my G15 irons are not going anywhere!!! they are the most consistent clubs in my bag right now (along with my G10 15* hybrid).

Sure, a thinner sole and nice finish would be great along with the other improvements but I learned a couple years ago when I first started playing golf, "don't fix it if it ain't broke" when I sold my TM R5 driver with prolaunch blue and started a downward sprial of driver after driver.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I went to GolfSmith to get fitted on my G25's. I walked in and it took about 20 minutes. He was very helpful and told me what I needed. He then did the hard sell to have me order some - guess they make commission. I stood firm and said I was not ready to place an order. Ended up getting a new set online at a great deal (with my custom specs) and saved $120.

[quote name='captain_bigelow' timestamp='1371847980' post='7299514']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I went to GolfSmith to get fitted on my G25's. I walked in and it took about 20 minutes. He was very helpful and told me what I needed. He then did the hard sell to have me order some - guess they make commission. I stood firm and said I was not ready to place an order. Ended up getting a new set online at a great deal (with my custom specs) and saved $120.
[/quote]

I thought all Ping accounts had a firm price setting policy. How are these guys ordering as a dealer for you and not charging the retail amount. Also, did you give the Golfsmith guy anything for his time and effort giving you an abbreviated fitting and advice?

[quote name='bstring' timestamp='1371852451' post='7299826']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I thought all Ping accounts had a firm price setting policy. How are these guys ordering as a dealer for you and not charging the retail amount. Also, did you give the Golfsmith guy anything for his time and effort giving you an abbreviated fitting and advice?
[/quote]

I am guessing that he saved money by ordering from an Online retailer that doesn't charge sales tax.

[quote name='HaigUltra76' timestamp='1371852887' post='7299874']
[quote name='bstring' timestamp='1371852451' post='7299826']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I am guessing that he saved money by ordering from an Online retailer that doesn't charge sales tax.
[/quote]

Correct no sales tax and I found a dealer who was $50 under rrp. Only one I could find. I am sure Ping will get to him sometime and close him down like discount dans. But I got my order.

I see GolfSmith like BestBuy they are a showroom where you an test equipment. The majority of people who go to BestBuy look at TVs etc and then order on Amazon.

[quote name='Joe26' timestamp='1371866358' post='7300786']
Wow, my first round with these did not go well. I should have bought MP64s if i was going to hit the ball this bad. At least those are sexy. I was afraid to hit the ball by the end of the round because of how much it hurt.
[/quote]

What shaft you get? You get cushin inserts? I can tell when I hit the toe or fat, but with ust recoils they are darn smooth when hitting the center of the face.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x