2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

[quote name='chocolatte' timestamp='1368598125' post='7038432']
Sorry if i missed it in the pages but has anyone came from i20 to G25? Just curious about your inputs. Thanks!
[/quote]

I've owned and played both, and the G's are easier to hit. Love both sets, but G's won out for me. My natural shot is a draw, and can fade the ball when necessary, but rarely try to. i20's make it easier to work the ball, but unless you want to work the ball regularly, I don't think they hold any advantage.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='avrag' timestamp='1368562530' post='7034746']
[quote name='puttitin' timestamp='1368121545' post='7000252']
I know this topic is for and by LOW HC's,but just wondered if any of you tried out the Graphite TFC shafts with the G25's.
If yes, how do these feel compared to Ping's Light weight steel offerings.

I'm only a 15HC and senior who needs R-flex light weight shafts. Currently playing Srixon i-701 irons with Aldila NV 85-R shafts.
[/quote]

In addition to testing 7 irons with different shafts on a launch monitor and on the range, I also played two complete rounds with G25 demo clubs. One with the CFS stock steel shaft and one with the TFC stock graphite shaft, both in R. The graphite shafts felt better, were longer, more stable and much to my surprise gave me a more penetrating flight and none of the ballooning issues I had with the CFS R. However, after more testing, I realised once again, that my swing is a lot more consistent with a mid-weight shaft, so I decided on Dynalite Gold XP in R.
I hope that the clubs arrive Friday.
[/quote]

Mine are dg XP s300. One round in and no regrets selling off the i20's and most everything else I had as I needed to liquidate anyway.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

What is everyone's thoughts on workability, and by that I mean ability to play low/high shots? I keep looking at this thread and realize these may be the i5 replacements that I've been looking for. I was thinking about waiting a for the i25s but these seem really interesting to me.

I ask about the trajectory control as I play in the Midwest and spring/fall it gets pretty windy and I'm a fan of taking an extra club or two and poking it under the wind.

Really considering a set of 4-W with s300s weighted at d2 at a 0.5" long. I figure the s300 will help keep the flight down some.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

You guys have got me drooling. I have been playing i20's, but my set of G25's (4 thru gap) will be here Friday. Thinking hard on a 20* G25 hybrid.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

Just got fitted for the G25's today. It was totally out of the blue, considering I had my eyes on either an S56 or i20 setup.

I think the importance of having a properly-fit shaft is a HUGE factor in the performance of the G25's. I tried out many different combos of i20 and G25 heads with different shaft brands and flexes, and could really see how they performed side by side (along with the aid of a Trackman, of course) I was eventually fit with the CFS X-Stiff. While it had performed well enough with the i20 head, once being paired with the G25, it just flat out out-performed the i20. A tad higher launch, of course, but spin numbers were still in the same ballpark, more forgiveness, and I didn't hate looking down at them (having played Player's CB's since my teens)

I was also hitting into a 40 km/h cross wind from right to left (hook wind), so I can report with this shaft/head combination, there didn't appear to be any ballooning or exaggerated hook issues (even with a wind helping these shots). When the shafts were swapped for comparison purposes, though, you could tell that there may be some ballooning/high hook going on. IMO, though, it is much more a function of the club shaft (although the clubhead has some influence i guess)

A word to the wise for those experiencing "fairway flyers", take a hard look at the data when getting fit for shafts with these clubs. Make sure you get fit into a shaft that produces proper spin numbers for that head.[b] Even if you've had 5 consecutive iron sets with ___________ shaft, doesn't ensure it being optimal with this higher-launch, low spin head[/b]. I hit a few shots with a DG X100 and PX 6.0 (which ive previously used/using) and the spin numbers were very inconsistent and trended a bit low. As a result, I had a few of these "fairway flyers" where the launch angle would be in line with the rest, but the lack of spin caused that flyer which would incomprehensibly sail an extra 15 yds.

TaylorMade M4 (9.5*) -- w/ Mitsubishi Diamana S+60 (X-stiff)
TaylorMade M1 3HL (17*) -- w/ UST Mamiya Proforce V2 7F4 (stiff)
Titleist 913F (19*) - Mitsubishi Diamana BB S+ 72 (stiff)
TaylorMade Tour Preferred (4-PW) -- w/ TT Dynamic Gold S300
Titleist Vokey SM6 M Grind (54*) 
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind (60*)
Odyssey Stroke Lab - One - w/ Super Stroke Flatso 2.0

Anyone tried these with PXi?

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]

Finally got a chance last night to have a quality range session on grass with my new 5-U G25s. CFS R. Very pleased. High, towering shots. Great appearance at address. The sound and feel at impact told the story of each shot. Very soft when flushed. Not forged, but pretty darn close. Heel or toe shots still felt solid but there was enough of a difference that I could tell I didn't quite catch it in the middle. Very forgiving irons and the dispersion was pretty tight even for my mishits. Not much distance loss on these shots either.

Prior to purchase, on a LM, I did compare to the G20s and the results were very similar however I liked the G25s slimmer look. Hoping a few more GIRs each round can get me to a 9hcp by late summer.

Definitely an iron to consider for those thinking of new sticks.

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1367977555' post='6989146']
[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1367976912' post='6989088']
GBall,
Did you see any distance increases from your other sets? I know they are not that strong of lofts, but how are the ball speeds? Thanks.
[/quote]

Definitely picked up distance, 8 -10 yards. Even though I saw that on the range yesterday I had a hard time believing it during my first 18. When I finally trusted it things went very well and shot an easy 79. I was pooped by then because I walked the last 18. It was effortless distance which is what I was looking for.
[/quote]

Keep in mind that the lofts on the irons are a couple degrees stronger than the G5's for example so you will see some distance increase. Nothing compared ot the g15/20 etc. however. But the G5's that I am transitioning from I expect to see about 5-10 yard difference.

[quote name='BCULAW' timestamp='1368713039' post='7046562']
Anyone else love how these clubs feel and sound? I've not gone to SGI irons in years, and was concerned they would feel dead. These feel so lively and the sound is excellent. Not missing the forged feel at all.
[/quote]

Yes it's a great release by Ping, I am loving my CBs but would get G25s in a heartbeat if I had to replace them. Used to play G15's and these are much better.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

Does anyone know the actual clubhead specs for the G25? I only ask because, although it seems possible, I can't "see" the visual differences between the G15, G20 and G25 irons. I had all of these side by side at Golf Galaxy and the difference from one generation to the next seemed negligible, at best. I have an excellent set of calipers and can take measurements of the G15 if someone can do the same for the G20/25. I'd like to know what, if any, difference there is.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

[quote name='Arpeggi' timestamp='1368713820' post='7046648']
Anyone tried these with PXi?
[/quote]

I have mine with pxi 6.0 really thought I was going to miss my Anser irons. Nope I love the g25 flag hunters for sure!!! I am a huge club ho and ways change a sets a few times a season. Not this year g25's are not going anywhere for quite some time

[quote name='dxdgenert' timestamp='1368746137' post='7050082']
Does anyone know the actual clubhead specs for the G25? I only ask because, although it seems possible, I can't "see" the visual differences between the G15, G20 and G25 irons. I had all of these side by side at Golf Galaxy and the difference from one generation to the next seemed negligible, at best. I have an excellent set of calipers and can take measurements of the G15 if someone can do the same for the G20/25. I'd like to know what, if any, difference there is.
[/quote]

Some comparative data at Golfworks...[url="http://www.golfworks.com/images/art/MPF_PING.pdf"]http://www.golfworks...rt/MPF_PING.pdf[/url]

In terms of not being able to see the difference, I can see them, but they are subtle in my opinion. Some other people view it differently though.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='J-Tizzle' timestamp='1368674095' post='7044784']
What is everyone's thoughts on workability, and by that I mean ability to play low/high shots? I keep looking at this thread and realize these may be the i5 replacements that I've been looking for. I was thinking about waiting a for the i25s but these seem really interesting to me.

I ask about the trajectory control as I play in the Midwest and spring/fall it gets pretty windy and I'm a fan of taking an extra club or two and poking it under the wind.

Really considering a set of 4-W with s300s weighted at d2 at a 0.5" long. I figure the s300 will help keep the flight down some.
[/quote]

In a couple of posts I have made I talked about how easy these are to flight down. As a reference I played MP 32 with S300 most of last year and I truly see no difference in trajectory control. Now the G25 is naturally a higher flying iron but I can flight these down at will. What really suprised me was being able to do this with the short irons 9 - U wedge. To made this even crazier I have CFS regular flex shafts. This was an experiment to go lighter and softer than what I usually play and so far so good.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1368790311' post='7052336']

[/quote]

I have CFS regular flex shafts. This was an experiment to go lighter and softer than what I usually play and so far so good.
[/quote]

How far do you hit your 7i? Curios as I just ordered mine in R flex as well.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

[/quote]

In a couple of posts I have made I talked about how easy these are to flight down. As a reference I played MP 32 with S300 most of last year and I truly see no difference in trajectory control. Now the G25 is naturally a higher flying iron but I can flight these down at will. What really suprised me was being able to do this with the short irons 9 - U wedge. To made this even crazier I have CFS regular flex shafts. This was an experiment to go lighter and softer than what I usually play and so far so good.
[/quote]

Boy these sound right up my alley, as I've been told I'm the worst ball striking 2 handicapper on the planet. I wish I had attended the demo dayTuesday at my course. Now I'll have to find another one to go to or just hit up the fitting cart.

Thanks for the response.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

I know this topic is for and by LOW HC's,but just wondered if any of you tried out the Graphite TFC shafts with the G25's.

I'm only a 15HC and senior who needs R-flex light weight shafts. Currently playing Srixon i-701 irons with Aldila NV 85-R shafts.
[/quote]

In addition to testing 7 irons with different shafts on a launch monitor and on the range, I also played two complete rounds with G25 demo clubs. One with the CFS stock steel shaft and one with the TFC stock graphite shaft, both in R. The graphite shafts felt better, were longer, more stable and much to my surprise gave me a more penetrating flight and none of the ballooning issues I had with the CFS R. However, after more testing, I realised once again, that my swing is a lot more consistent with a mid-weight shaft, so I decided on Dynalite Gold XP in R.
[/quote]

Agree, the TFC graphite shaft feels better than the steel in similar flex. Dispersion is also better. Great match with the G25 head.

[quote name='erock9174' timestamp='1368791386' post='7052386']

[/quote]

I have CFS regular flex shafts. This was an experiment to go lighter and softer than what I usually play and so far so good.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I hit my 7 iron about 155, still establishing the distances with these. I could have gone with a stiff because the CFS is lighter and softer than DG shafts. I just decided to try a regular flex shaft, I am a tweener with a smooth swing and transistion. I was at the range yesterday and spent alot of time with the 4 iron, thing is ridiculously easy to hit, I mean hybrid easy. I came thinking I should order a 3 iron. This is coming from a guy who has had a 3 & 4 hybrid firmly in the bag for 5 years.

You will love them. What set make up did you go for and how long till they arrive? Give us a review once you have spent some time with them

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport

[quote name='GOLFNOLOGIST' timestamp='1368805505' post='7053734']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agree, the TFC graphite shaft feels better than the steel in similar flex. Dispersion is also better. Great match with the G25 head.
[/quote]

Great, i'm going with the Graphites in regular. Anybody want my Srixons i-701 with the NV 85-R shafts :slow_en:

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2

[quote name='J-Tizzle' timestamp='1368795516' post='7052712']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Boy these sound right up my alley, as I've been told I'm the worst ball striking 2 handicapper on the planet. I wish I had attended the demo dayTuesday at my course. Now I'll have to find another one to go to or just hit up the fitting cart.

Thanks for the response.
[/quote]

I don't want to give you the wrong impression about height, these do launch high and so do the shafts. If you need to keep the flight down and like DGS 300 I think that would be a great combo. Over in the club building forum someone started a thread about " G25 with DG shafts" and after trying CFS in S and XS he found DGS300 to lower ball flight by 25%. As you say, find a fitting cart and see what shafts work best for you in thoses heads.

Good luck

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport

Anyone who has went from blades to these and can tell me about the transition? I am currently playing Titleist 695 MB (DGS300) but due to less time for playing I am considering changing to something easier. Until today my top choice was the bstone j38 dpc/cb but having read this thread I want to try the G25s before deciding. Anyone with some input on these different clubs regarding shaft options etc.?

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1368865320' post='7058424']
[quote name='erock9174' timestamp='1368791386' post='7052386']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I hit my 7 iron about 155, still establishing the distances with these. I could have gone with a stiff because the CFS is lighter and softer than DG shafts. I just decided to try a regular flex shaft, I am a tweener with a smooth swing and transistion. I was at the range yesterday and spent alot of time with the 4 iron, thing is ridiculously easy to hit, I mean hybrid easy. I came thinking I should order a 3 iron. This is coming from a guy who has had a 3 & 4 hybrid firmly in the bag for 5 years.

You will love them. What set make up did you go for and how long till they arrive? Give us a review once you have spent some time with them
[/quote]

I will be adding the 6i-PW to match the UW and LW I already had. I play Trilogy 4 & 5 hybrids so it should mesh well.
They should arrive between Wed and Sat this week. Can't wait to hit them.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

[/quote]

I believe the data you are looking for is here - http://www.golfwrx.com/58285/ping-g25-irons-gi-forgiveness-in-a-smaller-package/

Odyssey Tank #7
PING Glide Wedges 54, 58
PING G15 5-UW KBS C-Taper Lite
PING G25 Hybrid 20 & 23
PING K15 3W
PING G20 Driver

[quote name='Talimongous' timestamp='1369068243' post='7069492']
[/quote]

I believe the data you are looking for is here - [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/58285/ping-g25-irons-gi-forgiveness-in-a-smaller-package/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...maller-package/[/url]
[/quote]
Pretty close. It looks like the sole width is roughly 1/4 inch less on the G25 but the topline looks very, very similar.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2