2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1367287281' post='6941251']
[quote name='DrInhale' timestamp='1367285408' post='6941013']
After reading this review I am curious if the G25s will improve my scores. I had some GolfSmith credits so I purchased a set of Ping G25 4-U KBS stiffs. I compared the 7 irons on a launch monitor, hitting both well, identical distance but tighter dispersion with the i20s. I still ordered the G25 thinking it will help in the longer irons. Then I had one of my best ball striking rounds yesterday with the i20s. I am having second thought. Still waiting for shipment on my new irons but don't know if I will play them.
[/quote]

Just curious to know if you have the same shafts in your i20 as the KBS you ordered in your G25?

I know all about those great ball striking rounds. That happened to me the first time I took out my MP 32s last spring. So naturally I had to play them most of last year, had mixed results. Hopefully the G25 works for you if not the i20 are a nice set to have on stand by.
[/quote]

Yes, I have KBS stiffs in my i20s and love them. Thanks, I will decide next week when I get my G25s if I will play them. Just striking the i20 so well. Hate to give it up.

Adams Speedline LS 9.5* Kuro Kage XStiff
Adams Speedline LS 13* Kuro Kage XStiff
Adams Super LS XTD 19* Kuro Kage XStiff
Adams Super Dhy 21* Kuro Kage XStiff
Ping i20 5i-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX 51, 56, 62 KBS Stiff

Hey IO,
I'm an 8 hc, play AP2 710's. I hit them okay. I hit 11 greens last Sunday, which is very good for me. I usually hit less. I hit alot more fairways, so my misses are due to 150-190 iron shots missing the green.
Would it be worth it to move to the G25's? Should I expect to clearly improve my GIR? Or would my GIR's stay essentially the same? Would appreciate your thoughts.
Thx

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

[quote name='Hit em good' timestamp='1367331243' post='6943593']
Hey IO,
I'm an 8 hc, play AP2 710's. I hit them okay. I hit 11 greens last Sunday, which is very good for me. I usually hit less. I hit alot more fairways, so my misses are due to 150-190 iron shots missing the green.
Would it be worth it to move to the G25's? Should I expect to clearly improve my GIR? Or would my GIR's stay essentially the same? Would appreciate your thoughts.
Thx
[/quote]
I would be shocked if your GIR's didn't improve. These things are incredibly forgiving and help terrible swings much more than they deserve to be helped. Perfect example...

Yesterday we were on a par 5. I had 210 to the hole and 200 to carry a pond fronting the green. I grabbed a 6 iron and swung pretty firmly, almost missed the ball. Worst swing of the day. I actually smacked the ground lightly with my club in disgust. I knew it was wet. No chance of carrying. Bogey was a given. Instead the ball held its line and just carried. It landed just short of the green on the bank of the pond (carried 200). I chipped up and tapped in a birdie. That's the best way I can explain how forgiving these irons are and what that forgiveness does for me.

Instant Offense, I just have one question: how do the G25s feel? Are they similar to the G20s (not bad feeling, but a bit clicky and explosive off the face) or are they improved (softer/denser feeling). Just curious.

Thanks.

TITLEIST TSR2 / TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

TM SIM2 Ti / MOTORE X F3 7S

PING G430 / 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i230 / 5-PW MODUS 115S

TITLEIST SM9 / 50F 54D 58D S200

TITLEIST FLOWBACK 5 / SPECIAL SELECT

[quote name='^m9' timestamp='1367333084' post='6943777']
Instant Offense, I just have one question: how do the G25s feel? Are they similar to the G20s (not bad feeling, but a bit clicky and explosive off the face) or are they improved (softer/denser feeling). Just curious.

Thanks.
[/quote]
They sound a bit quiter to me. A little more muted feel, but I have no problem telling where I hit the ball on the face.

[quote name='Instant Offense' timestamp='1367333461' post='6943813']
[quote name='^m9' timestamp='1367333084' post='6943777']

Thanks.
[/quote]
They sound a bit quiter to me. A little more muted feel, but I have no problem telling where I hit the ball on the face.
[/quote]

Thank you!

I was going to start/re-start a thread, but I though it would make sense to post my comment here.

I had joined the g25 club about a month ago, but didn't instantly have the great ball striking (coming from i10s).

I had started a thread and the recommendation was to hit balls and get the body used to the new clubs - I've spent the last two weeks doing just that and the results have been tremendous.

The biggest difference I see from the i10s is that g25s don't twist on a ball hit a bit towards the toe. The club remains stable and the resulting shot is just a bit short but online.

In my last range session - the thin hit balls have gone away and now I'm hitting them in the centre again. These clubs have definitely upped the confidence level.

I play Thursday - looking forward to sharing the result.

[quote name='lordemsworth' timestamp='1367357936' post='6946387']
I was going to start/re-start a thread, but I though it would make sense to post my comment here.

I had joined the g25 club about a month ago, but didn't instantly have the great ball striking (coming from i10s).

I had started a thread and the recommendation was to hit balls and get the body used to the new clubs - I've spent the last two weeks doing just that and the results have been tremendous.

The biggest difference I see from the i10s is that g25s don't twist on a ball hit a bit towards the toe. The club remains stable and the resulting shot is just a bit short but online.

In my last range session - the thin hit balls have gone away and now I'm hitting them in the centre again. These clubs have definitely upped the confidence level.

I play Thursday - looking forward to sharing the result.
[/quote]

Looking forward to your on-course experience with them.

Another little dirty secret about the G25's is the "L" wedge! If you struggle at all with a lob wedge in your game, this wedge is for you.

I picked one up 3 weeks ago almost by accident and am really loving this thing. You can hit all the shots and its fantastic out of bunkers. It's everything the Ping Eye re-do should have been.

FWIW, I'm a 5 HDCP and play Vokey's in my other wedges( 50*/ 54*)

[quote name='texasace' timestamp='1367372195' post='6947885']
Another little dirty secret about the G25's is the "L" wedge! If you struggle at all with a lob wedge in your game, this wedge is for you.

I picked one up 3 weeks ago almost by accident and am really loving this thing. You can hit all the shots and its fantastic out of bunkers. It's everything the Ping Eye re-do should have been.

[/quote]

Curious if you tried the G25 gap and sand since you like the Lob so much?

Not a low handicapper (currently a 13), but am enjoying a 48 hour demo with a G25 set. I love my i20s....they unseated my old faithful i5s. But the G25s are REALLY good. The biggest difference for me was the mid-irons and shots hit slightly thin. They also feel really solid at impact.

I wasn't a fan of the G15 or G20 from a looks perspective...but these are really good. I'm seriously tempted...

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

[quote name='Marks23' timestamp='1367372466' post='6947925']
[quote name='texasace' timestamp='1367372195' post='6947885']

[/quote]

Curious if you tried the G25 gap and sand since you like the Lob so much?
[/quote]
I did not try the gap or sand wedge. I bought the Lob wedge on a whim, because I was having trouble with my Vokey 60*
I didn't even realize until later , that the G25 L wedge is 58*

[quote name='Instant Offense' timestamp='1366763306' post='6904027']
A little background... I'm an assistant professional and golf shop owner. Been playing for about 12 years and play less now than I ever have. My handicap is fluctuating between +3.5 to +4.5 and I've been playing well lately. Other current iron sets that I own and love are the 2012 Anser's and Titleist 712 AP2's. Those two sets are the most perfect sets of irons that I have ever found for my game and God knows I have tried them all. I had a stint with the G20's last year and loved those, but eventually the fat soles and sub par turf interaction (for me) forced me to let them go. On to the good stuff...

I ordered myself a set of 3-W G25 with KBS Tour X flex at standard length and lie. They arrived a couple days ago and I have got the chance to play two nine hole rounds so far with them. Our course isn't hard (71 course rating, par 71, 6600 yards), but there is alot of trouble off the tee. The only time I have hit a bad shot with these was in a tight layup on the 3rd hole I played with them. I was expecting the offset to cause me to hook a 6 iron and I left it out to the right. Other than that shot these irons have been absolutely superb. Almost every shot is high, but not ballooning and dead straight with minimal curvature. They hold their line better than any iron i have ever hit. The crazy thing is I find its also easier to work these irons. Since they want to go straight a hard draw or a hard cut swing produces soft movement in either direction and on command. Its super hard to overcook the ball in either direction with these. The turf interaction on the 25's is much improved over the G20's and the short irons are very i5-ish. These don't seem to ever bounce off the turf like the G20's did. I honestly can't say enough about the versatility of these irons. The 3 iron is way better than any hybrid I have ever tried. It's like the G20's and the I20's had an attractive, talented, and intelligent baby. In the 18 holes that I have played with these I have hit 14 greens not missing any by more than 5 yards and made 9 birdies with a ridiculous (for me) proximity to the hole.

Bottom line... Do yourselves a favor--- suck it up and go try these on a golf course. The offset WILL NOT make the ball go left and the new darker finish hides it better than you would think. I honestly think that 95% or better of the golfing population would drastically improve their scores if they made the switch. Simply amazing golf clubs and a shining example of modern golf technology. My Ansers are a whole lot sexier, but you can't argue with better scores.
[/quote]
Excellent review from an accomplished bonifide player and not the typical wannabee around here that has "tour" everything and exotic specs or it's beneath him. He lives off one good round all year. You all know the type. Can I ask if you have tried the new Cleveland line 588 Mt & TT irons? They seem interesting. I have owned the G10 and G20s along with 30 other sets since 1975 and the grass is always greener when it comes to irons. I can't even remember why I traded the 3-pw g20s other than I do tire of the huge offset and I am not someone who knocks offset,toplines or soles as many do out of hand. I have my backup i5s I got from a head pros personal stash I will never part with and X Hot Pros 4-pw which some respected shop guys feel maybe the best iron ever made. Love um on range and only played one round but as always looking towards next potential set. Even working out religiously 5-6 days a week last 40+ years my flexibility goes and maybe it's time some heavier soles may be helpful and it does seem Ping somewhat "slimmed down" the G 25 profile.

Count me in as a new member of the G25 iron owners club. Hopefully they will be here in a week or so, will spend sometime with them and then throw up a review on this thread.

I have been inconsistent with my iron play, the season is just starting up here. But I do have 5 rounds in and as many range seasons so results are telling . I have a number of forged iron sets that I enjoy and have some good rounds with, but not consistently enough. I finally had enough and on this Mondays league night I played with my sons Callaway X20 irons. Nine hole posted score of 38, seven pars and two bogeys, and my driving was not happening that day. I hit so many good iron shots with mediocore swings. I had forgot what it was like to have an iron actualy help you and forgive your sins...........kinda liked it. The week before with my MP 53 shot a 42 with 100% FIR.

I am not a rocket scientist but that is 4 shots over 9 holes with a driver:that was misbehaving. Time to put looks, feel and cache aside and play with what gives me the best chance at the lowest scores. I will let you know how it works out.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

G 25s have won me over as well, after on course testing. My only problem is with the shafts. After the indoor launch monitor fitting, they gave me CFS R to test on the course. I had about one to two feet of backspin with the seven iron when I hit the greens. When I played shots out of the rough, just to put the ball back in the fairway, the ball came down and just stayed where it was. Part of my plan of going to more forgiving irons was also to get away from shafts which are too stiff for me. But this is a bit extreme I think. I did not lose or gain any distance compared to my old clubs, only gained height, but to get absolutley no release and roll whatsoever from a 6- or 7-iron shot can't be right either. The shots were much higher and did not seem to go forward much after reaching the apex. I had hoped to gain some length as well with softer shafts, but this was not the case. I also cannot afford to play only through the air, because most courses I play are somewhat links style and usually very windy. My average clubhead speed with 6 iron is 78, 79 mph and I usually do not manage to deloft the club a lot. Mizuno shaft optimiser suggests Dynalite Gold XP in R or KBS Tour in R.
I like the feel of the CFS though and Ping irons are pretty expensive in Europe anyway, so I do not necessarily want to pay an upcharge. Should I simply go CFS S-Flex, softstepped maybe? I tried those in i20s and they still went high, but I also seemed to get a little release.
Any suggestions are welcome.
As for the G25s themselves: They are so much fun to play, and yes, they can be worked as well, but attempts at a soft fade will not turn into a slice, which makes them even more fun.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

I just got fit for g25's. they rep fit me into DG XP S300. The shaft analyzer says r300 but the s300's had better dispersion than all others. 5-us on the way. Expected Tues but hoping for sooner. Friday would be great so they are in play on Sat.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1367535751' post='6960565']
I just got fit for g25's. they rep fit me into DG XP S300. The shaft analyzer says r300 but the s300's had better dispersion than all others. 5-us on the way. Expected Tues but hoping for sooner. Friday would be great so they are in play on Sat.
[/quote]

Interesting shaft choice, I have hit that shaft and I like it. I have played DGS 300 & DGR 300 and those XP are nice because tney are lighter and launch a little high but still have that nice kick feel that I love about DG shafts. Hope they show up early for your Sat.:game.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport

[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1367535751' post='6960565']
[/quote]

Mizuno Shaft Analyzer doesn't have Dynamic Gold XP, just Dynalite Gold XP. Which did you order?

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

At this point I am no longer sure. I believe the fitter fit me for Dynamic Golds. I had already ordered from the spec sheet the tep had filled out so whichever i get will be the ones he fit me for. i actually ordered 2 days before I swung the analyzer as I was fit by a Ping fitter outdoors.

What is the difference between the 2? And why would they have two different shafts with nearly he same name?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

According to the Ping Custom Shafts list fpor spring 2013, they only offer the Dynalite Gold XP as a custom option, not the Dynamic Gold XP.
True Temper has always offered Dynamic Gold shafts on the one hand and Dynalite shafts on the other. The XPs are simply smoother option for both, and also follow more of a flighted concept, if I am not mistaken. But it is true that it confuses many people.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

after reading this thread ive gone for 5/PW+UW+SW in yellow kbs tour stiff liked them for a while but held of but no more also added the G25 hybirds 20/23deg but not so keen on the sound of the G25 driver so might stick my old G20 back in also treated myself to the new scotsdale adjustable putter so nearly all back to ping again

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

[quote name='ron lefthanded holmes' timestamp='1367659306' post='6968624']
after reading this thread ive gone for 5/PW+UW+SW in yellow kbs tour stiff liked them for a while but held of but no more also added the G25 hybirds 20/23deg but not so keen on the sound of the G25 driver so might stick my old G20 back in also treated myself to the new scotsdale adjustable putter so nearly all back to ping again
[/quote]

Nicely done Ron, assuming you had to order them, when are you expecting delivery?

If memory serves me right were you playing a set of Callaway X hot pro or am I mistaken. Let us know how you like the G25s when you have played with them

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport

[quote name='Instant Offense' timestamp='1367332420' post='6943715']
[quote name='Hit em good' timestamp='1367331243' post='6943593']
Hey IO,
Thx
[/quote]
I would be shocked if your GIR's didn't improve. These things are incredibly forgiving and help terrible swings much more than they deserve to be helped. Perfect example...

Yesterday we were on a par 5. I had 210 to the hole and 200 to carry a pond fronting the green. I grabbed a 6 iron and swung pretty firmly, almost missed the ball. Worst swing of the day. I actually smacked the ground lightly with my club in disgust. I knew it was wet. No chance of carrying. Bogey was a given. Instead the ball held its line and just carried. It landed just short of the green on the bank of the pond (carried 200). I chipped up and tapped in a birdie. That's the best way I can explain how forgiving these irons are and what that forgiveness does for me.
[/quote]
Yes. That shot would've been wet with blades or player's cb for sure. Going from blades to Ansers really improved my misses especially on par 3's. Shots that would've been well short and shots that would've gone way left or right ended up on the green with the Ansers. There is a set of G25's with DGX100's on the way to my humble abode. Based on the reviews that's been posted it's likely the G25's will take the forgiveness factor to another level. Give me straight and on the green or give me a double. :D

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1367673842' post='6969136']
[quote name='ron lefthanded holmes' timestamp='1367659306' post='6968624']
[u]after reading this thread ive gone for 5/PW+UW+SW in yellow kbs tour stiff liked them for a while but held of but no more also added the G25 hybirds 20/23deg but not so keen on the sound of the G25 driver so might stick my old G20 back in also treated myself to the new scotsdale adjustable putter so nearly all back to ping again[/u]
[/quote]

Nicely done Ron, assuming you had to order them, when are you expecting delivery?

If memory serves me right were you playing a set of Callaway X hot pro or am I mistaken. Let us know how you like the G25s when you have played with them
[/quote]
I ordered and have been told late next week which is fine but that's over here in the UK,and yes was playing the x hot pros so will be able to let you know how they compare,as still have the x hots

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]

I hit G25's today, great irons, looks much improved over G20. The irons were stupid easy to hit, tried to hit one bad, didn't manage even with the shittiest over the top lazy stab they flew straight and high. Sick.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1367711022' post='6971340']
I hit G25's today, great irons, looks much improved over G20. The irons were stupid easy to hit, tried to hit one bad, didn't manage even with the shittiest over the top lazy stab they flew straight and high. Sick.
[/quote]

Fresh sleeves and sticks? did you grip it and rip it?

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I hit G25's today, great irons, looks much improved over G20. [b]The irons were stupid easy to hit, tried to hit one bad, didn't manage even with the shittiest over the top lazy stab they flew straight and high[/b]. Sick.
[/quote]
well im hoping this is the case that's why ive gone for them thanks for letting us know

[quote name='mantan' timestamp='1367718651' post='6971856']
[/quote]

Fresh sleeves and sticks? did you grip it and rip it?
[/quote]

Sadly there's nothing in my swing that could remotely be associated with "ripping." 7I went about 150, but it was straight, time after time.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works