G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

Went for a club fitting yesterday and lads let me tell you I hit everything. EVERYTHING I could find, AP1/2, Rocketbladez, RBZ Tour, Callaway and then the rep said "Try Ping." I'd seen the feedback on here and thought why not, but I don't like anything chunky. I put it down at the ball and thought how nice it looked. And then I hit a 7 iron.

Now before I say anything else let me tell you I have a set of Mizuno MX-25 which are old granted, but I hit them well. I hit the 7 iron from my set 140 and thought not long, but it's certainly not bad. Then I hit the 7 iron from the G25. 160. I was amazed, as soon as it left the club I said to the rep "These are it." before it even landed. Then I got fit for my size and the Ping colour chart, and it was going EVEN FURTHER. I had no qualms in handing my cash over and should have them before 2 weeks. I feel these could be the thing to make my handicap fall, as i'm getting very close in my opinion.

Another thing, technology is amazing. My good shots sometimes veer right in the air and he told me it's because my clubs weren't fitted (Bought them just as I started playing), and the right fade has completely disappeared! Well, from yesterdays showing it had. Super stoked about that, and feel stupid as I didn't realise it was a lot of the club haha.

Roll on til I have my bad boys! :D

[b]Driver: [/b]TaylorMade R15 9.5*
[b]5-Wood: [/b]Ping G400
[b]Hybrid: [/b]Titleist 915 4H 21*
[b]Irons: [/b]Ping i200 w/CB Alta Graphite
[b]Wedges: [/b]Vokey SM6 50* F Grind/54* S/58* M Grind
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6
[b]Balls: [/b]Titleist Pro V1 2017

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, got my G25 with C Tapers in and spent some time on the range with them today. They seem very forgiving just from some range time, given how crappy I've been hitting the ball here lately. Playing again tomorrow and I'm excited to see how they do.

This is just an initial thought, but the C Tapers really seem to knock down a lot of the launch from these (compared to the demo I've hit). Seem every bit as low launching as my i5 with S400's in them but with less spin. I'm still working on getting my right arm/shoulder to full strength (surgery back 4-5 months ago) so I'm hoping to get a bit more distance out of these at that time but we shall have to wait and see.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Man youse guys are KILLING me !!!

Last Spring I spent a few weeks hitting G20s and I20s with all sorts of lies and shafts into a launch monitor at my local Golfsmith's. After exhaustive testing, the G20s with DG S300, while giving me 2-3 yards less distance were easily the most consistent dispersion-wise over the I20s and the G20s with other shafts. All things being equal you could throw a blanket over the shot pattern of well-hit shots vs. the I20s and G20s with different shafts. The G20s actually even FELT better than the I20s

And the MISSES were better as well.

Not surprisingly, while my handicap didn't go down as much as one might expect(?) my scores were made much more easily as my GIRs went up from about 10-13 at my home course and from around 7-10 "away".

And that pattern has continued this season.

And NOW youse guys are making me want the G25s, arguably(?) an even nicer looking (and better(?) performing) iron. :aikido:

DAMN YOUR EYES !!! :D[size=4] [/size]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

So... I just wanted to update a little. G25's are still holding strong in the bag. Won a $6000 Calcutta with them a couple weeks ago and on the winning hole I had to hit the G25 3 iron off the tee... It's a forced carry of 225 yards and most mishits end up in a hazard. Long story short- I knocked the ball right in the front fringe and got up and down to win. The G25's awesomeness allowed me the confidence to hit that shot under the most extreme pressure I have felt in golf. Absolutely love these things. Obviously they would have paid for theirselves even if I hadn't gotten them free. If anybody out there still hasn't tried these do yourself a favor and go hit them ON COURSE. Launch monitors don't show how awesome the turf interaction and ball flight really is with these. It's tough to believe they fly as straight as they do.

On a more retail related note I think we have sold around 25 sets of these now. The next closest iron this season has been the Rocketbladez which I have sold 5 sets of. I just fit the customer with all available demos and the G25 always wins. It's honestly the most universally awesome iron I have had the pleasure of selling. Actually I feel that way about the entire G25 line up. Even the sand wedge and lob wedge in these things are awesome. Several of my members have moved into those as well, some as low as 8 handicaps and they are singing their praises. Ping has really nailed it this season... All the way through the bag.

Thanks again for the updates IO. Still waiting to pull the trigger on my set. Spent more time on the LM with these and they are just SO forgiving. Can't wait to get mine. I am really undecided on wedges for my set. Leaning towards the Gorge's.

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Another follow up after more range time and a round with these.

They are probably the closest thing to the i5's that I've found. They do seem to be about 1/2 a club longer but I'm not sure if thats due to the irons, decreased spin from the c-tapers, or that my swing is finally starting to come around. While the distance is a bonus, these things really shine in forgiveness. Crazy more forgiving than the i5's. I hit some shots on Saturday that would have missed greens or been 50ft short and they were reasonable 20ft birdies left. I'm very impressed with these things thus far. I don't know if I should be pining over the irons or the shafts, but seems like a pretty good couple this far. Lets hope its not a honeymoon but the real thing.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1371519853' post='7268394']
Thanks again for the updates IO. Still waiting to pull the trigger on my set. Spent more time on the LM with these and they are just SO forgiving. Can't wait to get mine. I am really undecided on wedges for my set. Leaning towards the Gorge's.
[/quote]

The Gorge wedges are really good. I got the SS with the WRX Tour grind and they are very playable from a variety of lies. I'm hoping they continue to perform as the courses in the Midwest start to dry out (eventually, but with the 11" of rain we got on Saturday it might be a while). I could really be Ping from head to toe if they only made a Craz-E Scottsdale TR with a 400g head....

So I spent the last 2+ months on a quest to find a new set of clubs, I detailed it in this post somewhat:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/836912-my-journey-into-a-new-set-of-clubs/

I had a fitting about 2 weeks ago, and settled on the G25 irons, the CFS Stiff shafts in a green dot.

I had literally tried every iron on the market that costs less than $1000 for a set except for the Titleist and had narrowed it down to the Adams CB3, the Mizuno 825-Pro and the G25... I just hit the G25s the best.

Even bad hits would go straight, they would just go about 20 yards shorter than the good ones. I dont think a single hit with the G25 showed a side spin of more than 500... Considering that I was getting over 2000 on my driver hits, I would say that is a hell of a good thing. Yes, I have a swing issue, that is something I am going to be working on, have some lessons scheduled already.

Now, the biggest problem I am going to have is coming up with the money for the set!

I've been playing with my G25's for about 4 rounds now. Yes, I've finally figured out some issues I was having earlier in the year with my swing, but these clubs have been nothing short of fantastic. I play to a 9.5 index and have black dots with CFS stiff shafts. I've had some very good ball striking days and if nothing else the long irons are just amazing. I've never hit so many good shots with 4 and 5 irons. I feel completely confident with one of those clubs in my hand. I'm very happy I decided to give these irons a go. I also play the driver, 4w and 20* hybrid. Ping did a great job with the entire lineup IMO. Really looking forward to the rest of the season.

Titleist TSr3  9* Hzrdus Black 4G 60
Titleist TSr2 16.5* Hzrdus Black 4G 70
Titleist TSr2 21* Hzrdus Black 4G 70
PXG Gen 4 0311 XP 5-GW
PXG Sugar Daddy II 52.10 56.10 and 60.10
Scotty Cameron Concept X 7.2 LTD

Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='Instant Offense' timestamp='1371517789' post='7268142']
So... I just wanted to update a little. G25's are still holding strong in the bag. Won a $6000 Calcutta with them a couple weeks ago and on the winning hole I had to hit the G25 3 iron off the tee... It's a forced carry of 225 yards and most mishits end up in a hazard. Long story short- I knocked the ball right in the front fringe and got up and down to win. The G25's awesomeness allowed me the confidence to hit that shot under the most extreme pressure I have felt in golf. Absolutely love these things. Obviously they would have paid for theirselves even if I hadn't gotten them free. If anybody out there still hasn't tried these do yourself a favor and go hit them ON COURSE. Launch monitors don't show how awesome the turf interaction and ball flight really is with these. It's tough to believe they fly as straight as they do.

On a more retail related note I think we have sold around 25 sets of these now. The next closest iron this season has been the Rocketbladez which I have sold 5 sets of. I just fit the customer with all available demos and the G25 always wins. It's honestly the most universally awesome iron I have had the pleasure of selling. Actually I feel that way about the entire G25 line up. Even the sand wedge and lob wedge in these things are awesome. Several of my members have moved into those as well, some as low as 8 handicaps and they are singing their praises. Ping has really nailed it this season... All the way through the bag.
[/quote]

That is fantastic! Nice shot and congratulations!

Ping G30 10.5 Driver Tour 80 75g S
Ping G30 5-wood TFC 419F 57g S
Ping i25 3-UW irons KBS Tour S
Ping Gorge 54SS, 58SS KBS Tour S
Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, ProV1X
WITB Link

[quote name='EdMan63' timestamp='1371563052' post='7271164']
I've been playing with my G25's for about 4 rounds now. Yes, I've finally figured out some issues I was having earlier in the year with my swing, but these clubs have been nothing short of fantastic. I play to a 9.5 index and have black dots with CFS stiff shafts. I've had some very good ball striking days and if nothing else the long irons are just amazing. I've never hit so many good shots with 4 and 5 irons. I feel completely confident with one of those clubs in my hand. I'm very happy I decided to give these irons a go. I also play the driver, 4w and 20* hybrid. Ping did a great job with the entire lineup IMO. Really looking forward to the rest of the season.[/quote]

That is something I am eager to experience myself... I was only fitted into a specific product line based on 6 irons... I cant wait to try the 3 or 4. I can hit my current 3 well, out to about 185 so I cant wait to see what the G25s will do for me.

Instant Offense

Congrats on your big shot and bigger win, just fantastic. Thank you again for starting this thread as it convinced me and I am sure a lot of others to give these a try. They have been nothing but money for me..........just not as much as your money LOL !!!

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

I've got about 8 rounds on them now and they are still freaking incredible. In fact my playing partner opponents don't realize what has been going on lately as my overall iron game has improved so much. Come to think of it, I haven't lost a match with the g25s in the bag. Better girs and approach shots closer to the pin. My last round I pounded a drive and had 182(lasered) slightly downwind. I pulled a 6 iron and hit a nice high draw to about 20 feet and made the putt for eagle to my opponents bogey for a 3 stroke swing. I won the overall match to boot. :D. That is 2 eagles in 3 rounds after another great iron shot on a par 5. I can go on and on with all the great shots delivered by the g25s.. Essentially these just go high and straight with regularity. And they can be worked as well. Please get this set if u r in the market for new irons. You will not regret it.

Ping G430 LST 98 VenTUS Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

[quote name='Joe26' timestamp='1371600450' post='7277066']
I just got mine. Don't know if I should reshaft with C Taper X or not. Worried about the combo being too low spin. The height wont be a problem. I think high as a Georgia pine applies here.
[/quote]
Unless you start launching them really low I can't imagine the spin being an issue. If they are launching high the spin rate will be fine.

[quote name='Instant Offense' timestamp='1371600785' post='7277112']
[quote name='Joe26' timestamp='1371600450' post='7277066']
I just got mine. Don't know if I should reshaft with C Taper X or not. Worried about the combo being too low spin. The height wont be a problem. I think high as a Georgia pine applies here.
[/quote]
Unless you start launching them really low I can't imagine the spin being an issue. If they are launching high the spin rate will be fine.
[/quote]

I am going to reshaft a G20 demo i have and try CFS X, PX 6.5, and CTaper X on the course before voiding my warranty. I dont really trust old range balls. I have never been a high spin player, I probably flip.

A guy came up to demo a few clubs a couple days ago... He was playing Nike TW blades and claimed that he hasn't ever found anything he could hit more consistent or better. So I went and grabbed 10 shag balls and we went out on the range. He hit 5 with the G25 5 iron and never missed a shot. All of them high towering shots landing about 195-200 yards from us, you literally could have dropped a 35 foot circle around all 5 balls. He then hit 1 ball with his Nike and mishit it just a touch and it started a little right and faded another 15 yards. He immediately picked up the other 4 balls followed me inside and paid for the G25's! I love the fact that these things sell theirselves. I just turn a customer loose with a demo iron and they come back and buy the entire set. Just had to reorder 6 more sets as I am down to my last set again.

[quote name='Lobber' timestamp='1371605850' post='7277750']
Anyone have experience with Z65 shaft in these? Not a fan of CFS shafts and thinking Z65 may be a good option. Any feedback appreciated
[/quote]

I have Z-Z65's in my G10's and like them. Like the CFS XS better though. Think I'd soft step the XS CFS before going with Z-Z65, but that's just a nit pick.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Even the sand wedge and lob wedge in these things are awesome. Several of my members have moved into those as well, some as low as 8 handicaps and they are singing their praises.
[/quote]

Sorry if you've already mentioned it, but are you using the SW / LW also? If not, which wedges do you play?

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1371606796' post='7277884']
Anyone have experience with Z65 shaft in these? Not a fan of CFS shafts and thinking Z65 may be a good option. Any feedback appreciated
[/quote]

I have Z-Z65's in my G10's and like them. Like the CFS XS better though. Think I'd soft step the XS CFS before going with Z-Z65, but that's just a nit pick.
[/quote]

I had CFS Stiff and ballooned them hence the thought of Z65. I currently play KBS Tour Stiff which frequency out around 6.3 and are pretty stout. Wonder how the CFS X softstepped would compare?

[quote name='jgolfer33' timestamp='1371607399' post='7277980']
Even the sand wedge and lob wedge in these things are awesome. Several of my members have moved into those as well, some as low as 8 handicaps and they are singing their praises.
[/quote]

Sorry if you've already mentioned it, but are you using the SW / LW also? If not, which wedges do you play?
[/quote]
I think the wedges are awesome, but my wedge play is the best part of my game and Vokey's just flat out perform for me. I have the K Grind TVD's in the 56* and 60*. I play G25's through the U wedge.

Been following this thread for quite some time now. Been to golfsmith many times drooling over the G25 irons.

Then I played Bethpage last week and I can confidently say, my G15 irons are not going anywhere!!! they are the most consistent clubs in my bag right now (along with my G10 15* hybrid).

Sure, a thinner sole and nice finish would be great along with the other improvements but I learned a couple years ago when I first started playing golf, "don't fix it if it ain't broke" when I sold my TM R5 driver with prolaunch blue and started a downward sprial of driver after driver.

My next purchase will be driver fitting and lessons.

[quote name='mantan' timestamp='1367764047' post='6973700']
[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1367758822' post='6973350']
[quote name='Mspits' timestamp='1367756345' post='6973240']
I am sure my story is common among PING players but I had a set of i5's since they came out. I tried a set of i20's based on reviews but they lasted about half a season and I was back to the i5s. I just got a set of G25's and will not go back to the i5's; in fact they were sold on ebay. The g25 is the closest thing to the i5s I have felt but with better forgiveness and length. Amazing irons, I hope you all have the same experience.
[/quote]

That is a glowing review considering the i5 has an almost cult like following and are iconic class.
[/quote]

Very high praise. Not sure I'm quite there yet. I played the i5's for a long time before buying a set of i20s last year. But after a 48 hour demo with the G25s, I traded the i20s in and ordered a set of G25s.

Played a charity event Friday with the my trusty i5s and remembered how much I love them. They are REALLY good irons. I don't think I'll ever get rid of them.
[/quote]

+1

I've had most sets of Pings and my favorites are still the i5s. Demo'd the G25's on Sat and ordered them yesterday. They are most like i5's I've come across.

I won't be selling the i5's but I'm shelving my ego for the extra 1 or 2 greens in reg. My club has small hard greens and soft run-up areas so I'm hoping the extra height will help. I'm in Vancouver and play year round -- soft conditions due to rain most of the year.

*UPDATE* - played my i5's last night at men's night and hit 10 greens. 3 inside 8 feet. Missed all three putts but the irons must have heard the g25's were on order and are fightin' to stay in the bag.... :)

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

[/quote]

I like the CFS stiff better. It took a few months but I find the dispersion better. ZZ65 may be too stiff for me though (86mph 6iron).

FWIW, there's a set of g25's on ebay right now (white dot) with zz65. Seller has erroneously said they are Regular.

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

[quote name='gallas2' timestamp='1371649138' post='7280808']
[/quote]

I like the CFS stiff better. It took a few months but I find the dispersion better. ZZ65 may be too stiff for me though (86mph 6iron).

FWIW, there's a set of g25's on ebay right now (white dot) with zz65. Seller has erroneously said they are Regular.
[/quote]

Currently play ZZ65 softstepped 1x in my G15's. Using the mizuno shaft optimizer, my swing speed was 84mph.

Really like the ZZ65, nice mid-high flight with great dispersion.

Anybody plays Graphite shafts? I demoed these and found them just as good as my Srixon i-701 irons (Aldila NV85 comp shafts), but a whole lot straighter and a bit longer.
Received my set 5-GW a couple of days back, but have'nt had the chance to try them out on course .

Would like to hear from people who've PLAYED!

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2

[/quote]

I actually recently put the G25 L wedge in the bag, replacing my Eye2 SW that I've played with forever. My Eye2 SW is my go to club for my short game, always has been but just decided to see what would happen if I played matching wedges with my G25 irons. Couldn't be happier. Really like it. Can hit all the shots and its even easier out of the sand than the Eye2, which I didn't think was possible.

Ended up not liking the G25 S Wedge so dropped it and now go G25 PW, U Wedge, L Wedge then Tour Rustique 64*.