2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1378549363' post='7810857']
[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1378544721' post='7810809']
Well I did pick up a set of G25s with CFS just to see what the hype is about. I used to play G15s and have been using the full wedges set for 3 years no. So I though, well, let's see if full set is fun to play with again.

So far my impression is that the feel is inferior to my TPCBs. However the shots are good and the carry is improved for some reason. I was hitting my TM's pretty well so the Pings have to produce special shots for me to go with such terrible feeling club (sorry guys the feel of the face is terrible).

BTW, am I the only one to see a significant fade bias to these? It's playable but somewhat distinctive.
[/quote]

First time I have ever heard someone say they are fade bias, some say hook bias, which they are not. They are straight bias. The large amount of offset can screw with you visually, coming for the TPCBs and you can set up with the face not being squared up. Ball postion needs to be tweeked as well and this could be why they feel "terrible" to you. I came from MP 32 and when you flush the G25 they feel almost as good, which is saying alot, seriously. Back to the set up issue. Coming from blades with next to no offset I felt there was more latitude for ball postion. With the G25s big offset I can catch it low on the club face if I am playing the ball back in my stance and it does feel terrible, just dead and dull.No doubt about it they do not have a true pure feed back, either nice when flushed or dead and clunky when not. But as you said "shot are good and the carry is improved"
[/quote]

If you need to change ball position when going from the MP32's or the TPCB's to the G25's, then you are REALLY good! G25's are .07" more offset than TPCB's and 0.1" more than MP32's. So just move it a tenth of an inch or so and swing away!

Bluedot

I am that good, thanks for noticing. LOL

I probably worded that incorrectly. What I meant was that with the increased offset there is a big visual difference and ball position can get messed up. Same with face angle at address. It sometimes requires a period of time to get use to it.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1378559637' post='7811187']
Bluedot

I probably worded that incorrectly. What I meant was that with the increased offset there is a big visual difference and ball position can get messed up. Same with face angle at address. It sometimes requires a period of time to get use to it.
[/quote]

Well said.

[quote name='bluedot' timestamp='1378560761' post='7811233']
Bluedot

[/quote]

Well said.
[/quote]
Took 5 rounds for me to get used to them. I almost gave up on them until someone told me on here to stay after it. After several range trips and 5 rounds I am getting along well with them. These are just so good it's ridiculous.
I am a true believer that the whole G25 line is near perfection.

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Well, I took them (my new G25's) on the course for the first time this morning with my regular dogfight group, after picking them up yesterday evening. Despite a couple of nagging injuries together with aerated greens, I was able to shoot 79 with 9 gir, which isn't too bad for my 7.6 index. Compared to my 7 year old G10 irons which these replaced, besides the obvious better looks, I noticed two big improvements ... one is that even from tight lies and when struck a bit low on the face, it is easier to elevate the ball to a normal trajectory... the second thing is the bias to hit the ball straight - the mistake tendency with my G10's was always to close the face early causing the ball to move left.

Things are getting interesting indeed. Played a quickie yesterday and was able to hit some quality shots with G25s again. Today I had more time so I did an extended range session and found myself hitting better and better. There's obviously some adjustment needed coming from smaller heads. I guess at first I could not figure out how to take a divot with them. But I was able to ease myself during range time.

In an interesting happenstance I birdied 3 out of 4 Par 3's today. 8, 12 and 3 foot putts after 7,8 and 6 iron tee-shots. The last one had a potential to be a hole-in-one.

If things progress nicely they will get battle-tested in a tournament on Saturday.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

[quote name='kchuckb' timestamp='1378637230' post='7814809']
Did you guys go with the Cushin inserts on the stock CFS shafts?
[/quote]

I didn't bother. Extra fee plus extra weight in the shaft. It feels pretty good without it.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1378640402' post='7814863']
[quote name='kchuckb' timestamp='1378637230' post='7814809']
Did you guys go with the Cushin inserts on the stock CFS shafts?
[/quote]

I didn't bother. Extra fee plus extra weight in the shaft. It feels pretty good without it.
[/quote]

I didn't add the Cushin inserts either, although I did have them on my previous G10's. I haven't had any tendinitis issues for many years, and also I didn't want the extra 5 grams weight. I know that is not much but it all adds up.

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1378573543' post='7811921']
Bluedot

[/quote]

Well said.
[/quote]
Took 5 rounds for me to get used to them. I almost gave up on them until someone told me on here to stay after it. After several range trips and 5 rounds I am getting along well with them. These are just so good it's ridiculous.
[/quote]

Glad to hear you are finally having success with them. I had read your previous posts about struggling to hit these flush. That has happen to a few others here as well. They are certainly worth the adjustment period because when you do get comfortable with them GIRs go up and scores can start to drop. If nothing else just hitting more greens puts a big smile on my face.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1378651434' post='7815341']
Bluedot

[/quote]

Well said.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Glad to hear you are finally having success with them. I had read your previous posts about struggling to hit these flush. That has happen to a few others here as well. They are certainly worth the adjustment period because when you do get comfortable with them GIRs go up and scores can start to drop. If nothing else just hitting more greens puts a big smile on my face.
[/quote]
Thanks. With the cult following on here I just wanted to love them. Now I do! There are several strikes during my last 3 rounds that should have come up short in a bunker or worse, but they didn't. They just go straight all the time and the forgiveness is crazy! These irons have saved several strokes per round because of the forgiveness and several strokes because they just are easy to hit.
For anyone struggling like me the first few rounds, take the advice I was given on here and go to the range and get it figured out in the dirt. They are worth staying after it!
Even my wife cannot believe I am not selling anything...

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

[sup][size=5]I think the posts in this thread are coming from two different directions ... those of us who have owned prior versions of the G series or other super game improvement irons who are liking the G25's due to better looks combined with better forgiveness, and those who have owned thinner irons perhaps muscle backs or game improvement but with thin topline, narrow sole, etc. who are trying to determine if this is the way they want to go. In both cases, really great comments coming out.[/size][/sup]

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1378662465' post='7815827']
[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1378651434' post='7815341']
Bluedot

[/quote]

Well said.
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Thanks. With the cult following on here I just wanted to love them. Now I do! There are several strikes during my last 3 rounds that should have come up short in a bunker or worse, but they didn't. They just go straight all the time and the forgiveness is crazy! These irons have saved several strokes per round because of the forgiveness and several strokes because they just are easy to hit.
For anyone struggling like me the first few rounds, take the advice I was given on here and go to the range and get it figured out in the dirt. They are worth staying after it!
Even my wife cannot believe I am not selling anything...
[/quote]

Glad u found it in the dirt......

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

[quote name='dunn' timestamp='1378660941' post='7815761']
Tried em last week....no bueno for me, sole is too big...firm conditions out here, maybe in soft east coast conditions better....

head does not want to go into turf which makes it hard to compress ball....
[/quote]

The divot is supposed to be after you compress the ball otherwise it's just a fat shot.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1378672384' post='7816369']
Interesting stat:

3 rounds -- 9/9 GIR on Par 3's I hit irons into since starting playing with them on Thursday.
[/quote]

Way to go! That's a pretty nice stat!

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

[quote name='lawsonman' timestamp='1378671606' post='7816325']
[quote name='dunn' timestamp='1378660941' post='7815761']
Tried em last week....no bueno for me, sole is too big...firm conditions out here, maybe in soft east coast conditions better....

head does not want to go into turf which makes it hard to compress ball....
[/quote]

The divot is supposed to be after you compress the ball otherwise it's just a fat shot.
[/quote]

Beat me to this comment. Wide sole doesn't matter. I'm a digger and my local course is extremely grass bear, and I've never once had problems making solid contact with the ball.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I am getting really close to ordering a set and putting the MP32s in the backup back. Previously played G15s and hit them ok, but I had some "lefts" with them. My demo of the G25 was promising. Just straight, high and no ballooning. Gained at least a club in distance and they felt great with the CFS stiff shafts. Almost, dare I say, forged soft when middled. I couldn't believe how good they felt. I was hitting the 7 iron as far or farther than the Mizzy EZ forged 6 iron and at a much higher trajectory. Lofts between those sets are pretty equivalent (ie 45* PW). G25s were about 1.5 clubs longer than my 32s and dead straight.

On the ledge, talk me off....

[quote name='SHORTBUTSTR8' timestamp='1378676733' post='7816647']
I am getting really close to ordering a set and putting the MP32s in the backup back. Previously played G15s and hit them ok, but I had some "lefts" with them. My demo of the G25 was promising. Just straight, high and no ballooning. Gained at least a club in distance and they felt great with the CFS stiff shafts. Almost, dare I say, forged soft when middled. I couldn't believe how good they felt. I was hitting the 7 iron as far or farther than the Mizzy EZ forged 6 iron and at a much higher trajectory. Lofts between those sets are pretty equivalent (ie 45* PW). G25s were about 1.5 clubs longer than my 32s and dead straight.

[/quote]

Not sure that length is a reason to change since the only important thing about iron distances is knowing how far you can hit each club so you can predict outcome ... but I agree with you that previous G versions tended to go left and G25 goes straight. This is a pretty great feature.

[quote name='atlanta golfer' timestamp='1378679456' post='7816811']
[quote name='SHORTBUTSTR8' timestamp='1378676733' post='7816647']

[/quote]

Not sure that length is a reason to change since the only important thing about iron distances is knowing how far you can hit each club so you can predict outcome ... but I agree with you that previous G versions tended to go left and G25 goes straight. This is a pretty great feature.
[/quote]

Sorry, Wasn't too excited by the length. I just thought it was interesting that I was hitting the 7 iron twice as high and the exact same distance as the Mizuno. I was more in awe about the straightness and easiness of hitting them. "Ok" contact gave great results. And they felt almost as good as a forged iron when nutted.

Another low handicap here coming from mp64's. you are doing yourself harm by ignoring these clubs. The performance is closer to the small forged clubs than ever with extreme forgiveness

Tm sldr 460 with diamana bb x flex
Tm sldr 3 wood speeder s
Ping i25 19 deg hybrid tfc stiff
Ping s55 4-pw Cfs stiff
Cleveland rtx black 52, 58, 64
Odyssey bwb versa 9

[quote name='lawsonman' timestamp='1378672495' post='7816379']
[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1378672384' post='7816369']
Interesting stat:

3 rounds -- 9/9 GIR on Par 3's I hit irons into since starting playing with them on Thursday.
[/quote]

Way to go! That's a pretty nice stat!
[/quote]

Nice..............

My fav G25 stats so far are:

$100 KP (5 iron ~185)......8th place belt buckle in shoot out (priceless)...and most importantly...$28 bucks in last three rounds off a buddy I usually beat only 2-3x / year

we should be getting commission on sales from this forum....

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

Curious what you guys are playing in your woods/hybrids for those bagging the G25?

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2+ Putter

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

Anyone use S300 shafts in these?

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2+ Putter