2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

Ok, time to finally unbag the old Callaway x-14's. I called my bro at the pro shop today and ordered mine, 4-p red dot, CFS Stiff. I have Cleveland black pearl cg14 wedges (50,54,58) that I love and wont come out of the bag.

Thanks to all for the great info in this thread. It's also nice being able to pull these bad boys in at cost.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

[quote name='atlanta golfer' timestamp='1378895992' post='7830987']
[quote name='bluedot' timestamp='1378862886' post='7829597']
[quote name='atlanta golfer' timestamp='1378862266' post='7829509']
I replaced my G10's with exact same irons in the G25's 5 iron through gap wedge. I'm wondering who has tried the G25 sand and lob wedges? I kept my I-wedges in the bag for now. I always thought I should have different wedges than my regular irons but now I am wondering.
[/quote]

I have the G25 wedges. I had been using i5 wedges plus an iwedge L and figured I'd just go ahead and make the switch full out. I see no reason to have different wedges automatically; I've tried it both ways and have had better success with the set wedges.
[/quote]

My 50 degree gap wedge is almost my favorite club coming into a pin but for whatever reason when I get 15 yards closer and pull out the 54 degree wedge I can't execute anywhere near the same. So this is why I'm thinking of extending the G25 set into the higher wedges. [b] Question - how is the 58 degree G25 out of the sand?[/b]
[/quote]

Amazing. I've been playing G20 LW for 2 seasons now.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

I'm a 4 up from a +1 as recently as a year ago. (Ive had an elbow injury that has pretty much kept me from the range) My previous recent sets of irons have been Nike and 588 forged combos and a set of I10s. I just got a set of 4-U G25s last week with X100s and my gosh are they impressive. It's almost like cheating coming from a players iron . My thin misses give feedback of a thin shot but fly virtually no different than one hit in the center.I'd say I picked up a touch over 10 yards a club with them compared to forged models built off a 47 or 48 degree wedge. I have had no issue transitioning into the larger offset heads and I love the dark finish. This is an amazing iron , don't snub it for not being a low offset compact head. If you're even considering them definitely go find a demo.

[quote name='TVGM' timestamp='1378952072' post='7835773']
I'm a 4 up from a +1 as recently as a year ago. (Ive had an elbow injury that has pretty much kept me from the range) My previous recent sets of irons have been Nike and 588 forged combos and a set of I10s. I just got a set of 4-U G25s last week with X100s and my gosh are they impressive. It's almost like cheating coming from a players iron . My thin misses give feedback of a thin shot but fly virtually no different than one hit in the center.I'd say I picked up a touch over 10 yards a club with them compared to forged models built off a 47 or 48 degree wedge. I have had no issue transitioning into the larger offset heads and I love the dark finish. This is an amazing iron , don't snub it for not being a low offset compact head. If you're even considering them definitely go find a demo.
[/quote]
TVGM, did you notice any tendency for a draw bias in the longer irons having more offset?

[quote name='Marks23' timestamp='1378954870' post='7836073']
[/quote]
TVGM, did you notice any tendency for a draw bias in the longer irons having more offset?
[/quote]

You know I really didn't. I don't move the ball a bunch (more push/pull than anything else), but like everyone says on these they just kind of want to go mostly straight.

Aerojet LS 9* - Aerojet LS 14.5* - Baffler 17.5* - Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

[quote name='bluedot' timestamp='1378862886' post='7829597']
[quote name='atlanta golfer' timestamp='1378862266' post='7829509']
I replaced my G10's with exact same irons in the G25's 5 iron through gap wedge. I'm wondering who has tried the G25 sand and lob wedges? I kept my I-wedges in the bag for now. I always thought I should have different wedges than my regular irons but now I am wondering.
[/quote]

I have the G25 wedges. I had been using i5 wedges plus an iwedge L and figured I'd just go ahead and make the switch full out. I see no reason to have different wedges automatically; I've tried it both ways and have had better success with the set wedges.
[/quote]

I also came from i5 wedge up to S and did the same for G25. Kept my vokey 58 10 bounce. The S wedge is my fav club in the bag -- from 65-85 it is $$$.

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

[quote name='Marks23' timestamp='1378954870' post='7836073']
[/quote]
[/quote]
Possibly just a touch which I actually like. My shot shape is straight to a baby fade and the limited long irons I've hit on the course have been straight or baby draws. It's not a huge impact though.

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1378586629' post='7812591']
Things are getting interesting indeed. Played a quickie yesterday and was able to hit some quality shots with G25s again. Today I had more time so I did an extended range session and found myself hitting better and better. There's obviously some adjustment needed coming from smaller heads. I guess at first I could not figure out how to take a divot with them. But I was able to ease myself during range time.

In an interesting happenstance I birdied 3 out of 4 Par 3's today. 8, 12 and 3 foot putts after 7,8 and 6 iron tee-shots. The last one had a potential to be a hole-in-one.

[b]If things progress nicely they will get battle-tested in a tournament on Saturday.[/b]
[/quote]

Took 3rd overall in my club tournament. Very solid on the iron front with only 1(!) missed green from iron range. Very pleased.

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
Odyssey #9 O-Works

[quote name='talksalot81' timestamp='1379188537' post='7850995']
I'm tempted... Only thing is that I can only really see stock shaft options and doubt that will work so well. How easy is it to try other shafts and how much do they upcharge?
[/quote]

Only serious upcharge is for PX shafts.

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
Odyssey #9 O-Works

I'm tempted... Only thing is that I can only really see stock shaft options and doubt that will work so well. How easy is it to try other shafts and how much do they upcharge?
[/quote]

Im a KBS superfan and I am loving the CFS shaft. Don't discount it.

My two cents...

HDCP is weak 5 (most scores that count are from familiar course in decent weather...). I tend to play clubs such as Ping i series, Mizuno MP 60/64, etc. I was using - and loved - second generation Ansers with PXi until they were lost in shipping returning from a loft/lie adjustment. I stumbled across a set of these (4-PW) 'as new' for a very good price and thought I'd give them a spin based on the reviews here. Black dot, CFS stiff, std length - not optimum for me but very close. I played two 9 hole practice rounds (multiple balls dropped from different spots) and one regulation 18 hole round this weekend.

Substantial offset that is not well 'blended' bothers me. It's more mental than physical of course but the effect is real. I rented a set of G20s last year for kicks and couldn't stand them. Although I prefer more of a 'midsize' look, the other typical features of SGI irons such as a large head, thick topline, and wide soles don't bother me that much. I recognize that the actual change from the G20 is fractional but the visual effect is significant. These are much easier to look at and I was not put off at all. I was able to get into a comfortable address position and hit decent shots after the first few balls.

The feel on well struck shots is very good and misses don't jar your wrists and elbows. Feedback is only so-so as one would expect from a SGI type clubhead design. Minor misses thin were detectable but you have to get pretty far into the heel or toe before you get reliable feedback there.

The large sole is somewhat misleading and much easier to play than it appears. The trailing edge relief that is apparent if you look close works well. I dropped a couple of balls on bare ground that was nearly 'hard pan' and had no trouble at all.

The ballflight is REALLY high for me. So much so that distance wise I lost a full club in the longer irons and lost even more in the shorter irons. As such, controlling distance was difficult even when dropping a half dozen balls in the fairway. Strangely, the ball didn't really seem to balloon from over spinning - even into the wind. The launch angle is simply crazy high and it cost me. I was able to hit subtle draws and fades without issue but did not find success in flighting the ball down consistently. As an aside, a friend that currently uses i20s and has a lower standard ballflight than me hit a few shots with them and found similar distance to his i20s.

Many will disagree but I found them no more forgiving in terms of either distance loss or movement off intended line from slight to moderate mishits than the Ansers (or even the i20 which I played for about half of last year). I suppose it's possible that percentage wise the actual loss is less than Anser/i20 and my impression is skewed due to losing 10-15 yds per club on well hit balls due to the launch angle - but I doubt it.

Overall, this is not the club for me as the combination of my swing idiosyncrasies and the SGI design that promotes higher ballflight throughout the set don't mesh well (I'm a mid-high ball flight guy anyway). But, they are nice clubs and I'll be happy to play them until the insurance claim gets settled for the Ansers and I can replace them.

WITB Link

[quote name='WT Door' timestamp='1379212337' post='7852757']
My two cents...

HDCP is weak 5 (most scores that count are from familiar course in decent weather...). I tend to play clubs such as Ping i series, Mizuno MP 60/64, etc. I was using - and loved - second generation Ansers with PXi until they were lost in shipping returning from a loft/lie adjustment. I stumbled across a set of these (4-PW) 'as new' for a very good price and thought I'd give them a spin based on the reviews here. Black dot, CFS stiff, std length - not optimum for me but very close. I played two 9 hole practice rounds (multiple balls dropped from different spots) and one regulation 18 hole round this weekend.

Substantial offset that is not well 'blended' bothers me. It's more mental than physical of course but the effect is real. I rented a set of G20s last year for kicks and couldn't stand them. Although I prefer more of a 'midsize' look, the other typical features of SGI irons such as a large head, thick topline, and wide soles don't bother me that much. I recognize that the actual change from the G20 is fractional but the visual effect is significant. These are much easier to look at and I was not put off at all. I was able to get into a comfortable address position and hit decent shots after the first few balls.

The feel on well struck shots is very good and misses don't jar your wrists and elbows. Feedback is only so-so as one would expect from a SGI type clubhead design. Minor misses thin were detectable but you have to get pretty far into the heel or toe before you get reliable feedback there.

The large sole is somewhat misleading and much easier to play than it appears. The trailing edge relief that is apparent if you look close works well. I dropped a couple of balls on bare ground that was nearly 'hard pan' and had no trouble at all.

The ballflight is REALLY high for me. So much so that distance wise I lost a full club in the longer irons and lost even more in the shorter irons. As such, controlling distance was difficult even when dropping a half dozen balls in the fairway. Strangely, the ball didn't really seem to balloon from over spinning - even into the wind. The launch angle is simply crazy high and it cost me. I was able to hit subtle draws and fades without issue but did not find success in flighting the ball down consistently. As an aside, a friend that currently uses i20s and has a lower standard ballflight than me hit a few shots with them and found similar distance to his i20s.

Many will disagree but I found them no more forgiving in terms of either distance loss or movement off intended line from slight to moderate mishits than the Ansers (or even the i20 which I played for about half of last year). I suppose it's possible that percentage wise the actual loss is less than Anser/i20 and my impression is skewed due to losing 10-15 yds per club on well hit balls due to the launch angle - but I doubt it.

Overall, this is not the club for me as the combination of my swing idiosyncrasies and the SGI design that promotes higher ballflight throughout the set don't mesh well (I'm a mid-high ball flight guy anyway). But, they are nice clubs and I'll be happy to play them until the insurance claim gets settled for the Ansers and I can replace them.
[/quote]

If they don't baloon then they don't overspin. In my experience they are high launch but no more than medium spin.

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
Odyssey #9 O-Works

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1379233387' post='7853679']
[quote name='WT Door' timestamp='1379212337' post='7852757']
My two cents...

...the ball didn't really seem to balloon from over spinning - even into the wind. The launch angle is simply crazy high and it cost me.
[/quote]

If they don't baloon then they don't overspin. In my experience they are high launch but no more than medium spin.
[/quote]

I agree but was apparently unclear in saying so

WITB Link

[quote name='kevnixon' timestamp='1379196391' post='7851465']
40 Gbp for s300 and kbs for the set in the uk
[/quote]
[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1379197634' post='7851591']
[/quote]

Only serious upcharge is for PX shafts.
[/quote]
[quote name='fupresti' timestamp='1379200705' post='7851837']
Im a KBS superfan and I am loving the CFS shaft. Don't discount it.
[/quote]

Thanks guys. How does the CFS compare? My concern is that I tend to hit the ball pretty high with rifle 6.0 in forged players clubs so I figure that, on a club designed to help get the ball in the air, I would need something with quite a high kickpoint to make an SGI like the G25 work for me. I am going to try mizuno JPX EZ as well so will get the recommendations on shaft out of that but obviously the CFS won't be identified by that system!

talksalot81

Everyone would agree these heads do hit the ball high. I came from MP 32 with S300 and I hit those high but I still ended up with CFS shafts in the G25 heads. Yes they hit even higher and I was a little uncomfortable at first with the trajectory but they did not ballon and I picked up more then 10 yards per club.

Best to find a Ping fitter with the cart and all the different shafts. I know J-Tizzle went with C Tapers and other have gone S 300 and S400 to keep the trajectory down.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

No question, coming from high, forward cg irons like a Mizuno MP series, Titleist CB/MB, Ping S-series, etc, these things WILL hit it HIGHER, especially with the same shaft and more than likely regardless of shaft. PERIOD. If you are looking at transitioning from said high, forward cg irons and maxing out on forgiveness with keeping SPIN as reasonable as possible, I have found that the G25 is actually fairly LOW spin when comparing to other GI offerings and the LOWEST SPIN of any SGI offering. Just my two cents.

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

[quote name='fupresti' timestamp='1379254422' post='7854339']
I hit them high. I also hit them stupid long and they don't balloon. This idea that a high ballflight is a bad thing amazes me. I would rather the ball fall on my target, but thats just me.
[/quote]

Agreed!!! I think a LOT of ppl are confusing HIGH with BALLOONING. Ballooning occurs when spin is way above optimal levels, leaving the ball extremely susceptible to even minute amounts of wind, which is totally not the case in my experience with this head. Very low spin for the amount of forgiveness and stability it offers

[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

[quote name='willboyrd' timestamp='1379254886' post='7854393']
[quote name='fupresti' timestamp='1379254422' post='7854339']
I hit them high. I also hit them stupid long and they don't balloon. This idea that a high ballflight is a bad thing amazes me. I would rather the ball fall on my target, but thats just me.
[/quote]

Agreed!!! I think a LOT of ppl are confusing HIGH with BALLOONING. Ballooning occurs when spin is way above optimal levels, leaving the ball extremely susceptible to even minute amounts of wind, which is totally not the case in my experience with this head. Very low spin for the amount of forgiveness and stability it offers
[/quote]

Agreed. I played G15s a couple of years ago. The G25 I demoed on course was WAY higher than the 15s. But the ball never moved offline and it just kept GOING. Even INTO the wind. I was amazed. These have optimal spin for me at least with the CFS stiffs.

Update-- I haven't been playing my G25's because I tend to wanna make the game harder when I'm not playing a lot of tournament golf. I have sold around 40-50 sets from my shop and they are easily the most well received irons I have ever had the pleasure of selling. They simply work for almost everyone. I my opinion it's the greatest iron for the masses ever created.

[quote name='Instant Offense' timestamp='1379256844' post='7854563']
Update-- I haven't been playing my G25's because I tend to wanna make the game harder when I'm not playing a lot of tournament golf. I have sold around 40-50 sets from my shop and they are easily the most well received irons I have ever had the pleasure of selling. They simply work for almost everyone. I my opinion it's the greatest iron for the masses ever created.
[/quote]

Say it ain't so!!!! What're in the bag in their stead? Ansers?

[quote name='bluedot' timestamp='1379250685' post='7854119']
I don't think the G25s launch higher than other Ping G series clubs or GI irons in general go. If you are a high ball hitter, you'll hit 'em high; same with other trajectories. But I don't think you'll find them to "balloon".
[/quote]

On the ballooning thing....

I have always hit a fairly high ball, and was playing Mizuno MS-11 blades near the end of 2011. I was having trouble in the wind, which is a usual thing for me.

In spite of being a big blade guy, I've ALWAYS had a thing for Pings. I think the Karsten-engineer thing appeals to my inner nerd, or something like that. Went to the local 2nd Swing shop, checked out a set of Eye2+ and ISI. The ISI came with JZ shafts, not a good fit for me, so I looked more closely at the Eye2+. My spin rate with my Mizunos was over 7000rpm with my 6 iron, which combined with high flight, not a good fit. The spin with the Eye2+ was 5500-6000.

I bought and played the Pings the last month of 2011 and up through August, 2012. I hit the ball even higher with the Pings than I had been with the Mizunos, but I didn't have the same problems in the wind. They just weren't spinning the ball enough for the even higher than my old stupid high trajectory to be a problem, even into the wind.

Golfsmith posts robot tested spin rates of their clubheads. Their CBs almost universally spin the ball less than their blades (when they sold blades, anyway).

Point of all that, even though the G25s will hit the ball higher than folks are accustomed to seeing, I'm betting on them having a low enough spin rate such that it won't be an issue.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='willboyrd' timestamp='1379258090' post='7854651']
[quote name='Instant Offense' timestamp='1379256844' post='7854563']
[/quote]

Say it ain't so!!!! What're in the bag in their stead? Ansers?
[/quote]
At the moment I have a set of MP64's. Only till the S55 comes out.