2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Scotty Cameron 009 Owners...

jtitleist12

What is the thought process behind buying one?
Good afternoon all.

I have been obsessed with the Cameron 009 forums, topics, and pics since I became a member a couple of months ago.

I personally don't think I can afford to get one myself with a baby on the way in about 2 weeks, let alone trying to explain to my wife spending $2,000+ on a single club!!!

Very curious and I hope I am not being imposing or stepping on toes by asking...but I am curious to what everyone does for a living that currently owns an 009?

Maybe I need a career change (Currently Sales) to obtain my seemingly unobtainable "Dream Gamer"

Also, is it hard to game such a beautiful and expensive putter?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if there are people out there who have gone into debt while feeding their need for putters.

One can't simply assume that all putter collectors and 009 owners are rich.

At the same time, there are much more rare and expensive Scottys than the 009 that it would not be overly presumptive to say people with considerable means actively go out and collect those.

Good point moecat.

I am not presuming or assuming anything, about being rich or debt ridden....really just curious at other's thought process when making a huge putter purchase.

As for the 009, that is the one I personally would like to have most!

I really don't see how occupation = discetionary dollars. Have you tried this question to your wife?

Her friends went on a "buying spree" when they heard the prices of LV bags were going up by 15-20% this year. :rolleyes:

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

My method...which is not for everyone, I constantly buy and sell putters. Buy low, sell high, to pay for my expensive putter habbit. There are lots of deals to be had if you know what to look for and where to sell, I use my Credit to buy then save up enough profits that I can buy what I want... last year I bought an 009 and a Bettinardi Ryder Cup putter with the profits. I have since sold the 009 to pay for an engamgement ring, but you get the idea. I use my love for putters to fund my love for putters. This years project is to buy a 009 gamer.

Its alot of work, but its worth it in the end, and I think its fun. The key is not to be impatient, which leads to getting over extended...which is not good. If you are paying alot of interest you are not making any profit. If you cant spin it for a profit in a month dont put it on the CC. And dont send too many expensive putters off to be refinished at the sametime (with a 45 day turnaround at the studio, you will get dinged with interest if you dont pay it off).

It works for me...and without it, on my salary there is no way I would ever own such nice putters.

Dan

Driver: ZX5 MKII 8.5 LS w/TOUR AD VF-6x
Fairway: Srixon ZX MKII 13.5* w/ GD TOUR AD M9003
Hybrid: Srixon ZX MKII 16* w/ Nippon GOST

Utility: Srixon ZX MKII 20* w/Nippon GOST
Irons: SRIXON ZX5 LIMITED EDITION BLACK w/Private Reserve Steelfiber 110
Wedges: RTX6 52* and 56*
Putter: Frontline Elite RHO

Ball: Z-Star XV Divide

All with Bad@$$ headcovers

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if there are people out there who have gone into debt while feeding their need for putters.

One can't simply assume that all putter collectors and 009 owners are rich.

At the same time, there are much more rare and expensive Scottys than the 009 that it would not be overly presumptive to say people with considerable means actively go out and collect those.

Honestly, it's probably unhealthy to look for a career change and/or gain wealth in order to maintain a hobby. Similar to yourself, I'm a relatively new father and I think of my career a lot more frequently than in the past - but that's more due to worrying about paying for my child's future college education than trying to get a dream putter.

Sorry if I'm getting preachy now, but you'll probably actually undergo a significant personal change once you have the baby in your arms. I can almost guarantee that golf and equipment collecting will seem a lot more trivial then. If you don't think so, I recommend seriously looking in the mirror and figure out where your priorities lie.

moecat,

I am sorry, this post was for fun and done completely out of curiosity. I was being a little sarcastic with my "career" change comment.

However, my priorities are perfectly in check and no offense has been taken.

Some other things to consider:

(1) If and when you get the 009, it's quite possible you'll discover another "dream gamer" that's even more out of your budget - imagine and shudder at the thought of your quandary then.

(2) If and when you get the 009, you'll quite possibly want a comparable back-up so that one ends up being something you won't mind getting beat up in the bag and the other remains as your "trophy."

I don't have a 009, but I have done (2) much to my wallet's dismay.

That is very true! I believe there in lies the ultimate decision....to "game" or not to "game"?

You are right though, I am sure a lot of people would get a backup.

I would game it and have it as my only putter and just send to the Custom Shop whenever it was in need of a touch up.

A few things to consider in any golf club purchase for those going with DanTheMan's buy low sell high philosophy:

1. What is the market demand and supply NOW for what you are buying and what will it be in the FUTURE.

Right now the market demand for 009s is VERY high and supply is limited. Consquently, prices are high. They are still in production.

2. How unique is it and what are the alternative/competing products.

There are some stunning examples of 009s with incredible finishes and there are some that are plain. There are few alternatives for the 009, however there ARE some good alternatives if you search around a bit.

3. Why do you want to buy it. To play it, to collect it, or both.

4. Would you be happy holding onto it if it lost half its value.

Just a good gut-check.

Best of luck with the new baby. I have two small boys and there is nothing in the world like the joy from being a parent.

Cheers,

Drew

I really don't see how occupation = discetionary dollars. Have you tried this question to your wife?

Her friends went on a "buying spree" when they heard the prices of LV bags were going up by 15-20% this year. :)

Not that it matters other than coincidence but I just got back from Paris and was quite surprised LV bags are considerably less in price than in the U.S.

I have some very happy friends this week.

Back on topic. I don't get why people are spending big dollars on 009s. They are nowhere near as rare as some would have you believe. Dansrixon said it best, be patient. After another year of 009s getting dumped on tour, next year's price will be a lot lower.

I am not at the 009 stage yet (prototypes for now) but I have started collecting with a goal of one day giving my putters (6 currently - 3 camerons, 2 bobby grace and 1 ping) to my two sons when they are old enough to appreciate the putters. Hopefully in 20 odd years - they will still be worth something, I can share in my passion with them.

Good afternoon all.

I have been obsessed with the Cameron 009 forums, topics, and pics since I became a member a couple of months ago.

I personally don't think I can afford to get one myself with a baby on the way in about 2 weeks, let alone trying to explain to my wife spending $2,000+ on a single club!!!

Very curious and I hope I am not being imposing or stepping on toes by asking...but I am curious to what everyone does for a living that currently owns an 009?

Maybe I need a career change (Currently Sales) to obtain my seemingly unobtainable "Dream Gamer"

Here's my opinion:

1) 009's are not made any better than the good OTR Camerons. I will get arguments from others, but that, in my opinion, is the truth. If you need a heavier headweight that you can't get from most OTR lines, you still have the Newport Mil-Specs, Newport 2 Studio Stainless and the current Newport 2 Studio Style and can choose from 330, 340 and 350 gram heads. All great putters and all obtainable for $300 or less. You can have them fitted to any length you want, and go nuts with different paint fills.

2) If you want a 009 because you like the exclusiveness of it, go ahead--as long as you can afford it. But if you want a 009 because it's going to put the ball in the hole in fewer strokes than the putters named above, forget it, it ain't happening.

Sorry if I'm getting preachy now, but you'll probably actually undergo a significant personal change once you have the baby in your arms. I can almost guarantee that golf and equipment collecting will seem a lot more trivial then. If you don't think so, I recommend seriously looking in the mirror and figure out where your priorities lie.

Well said that man!

Sorry for the slight hijack, but what's an LV bag? My wife doesn't have a clue either...

LV.....Louis Vuitton...and if she doesn't know...count your blessings and don't tell her. ;)

By the way...don't tell her about Fendi, Chanel, Prada and Gucci too! :)

I got my 009 about 12 months ago. It is great...love the 350 head, very "meaty" feeling yet soft.

I have gamed it but could sell it quickly for the price I paid.

But would really NOT want to sell it.

TM M2 driver (2016)
TM M2 3 and 5 woods (2017)
PXG 19 degree
Mizuno MP 25, 4-9 (about to change)
Miura CB-57 PW
Miura wedges, 53 and 59, Y grind
1964/5 Wilson 8813

I just got mine here recently. Mostly just because I wanted it =) - I won't try to justify it beyond that. It has wonderful feel, looks great to my eye. These are purely subjective - I wouldn't argue to someone else that they would like it as much as I do.

I will note this - the thing I really like about it is that mine is a 1.5 neck model, but with a full-shaft offset. This was hard to find, as the Sante Fe necks are only a 1/2 shaft offset. I like the look of the short necks, but also like a full-shaft offset. This putter has that.

I also viewed it as relatively low-risk because I could turn around and sell it for what I paid, or slightly less, so I don't really view it as expensive as it actually was (fallacious thinking perhaps, but it works for me).

I love mine. But that's just me.

[color=#0000cd][b]Callaway Rogue SZ 10.5* w/ Kuro Kage 60 TX[/b]
[b]TM M1 15* w/ Kuro Kage 70 TX[/b]
[b]TM M1 19* w/ Kuro Kage 70 TX[/b]
[b]Mizuno MP-5 4-PW w/ PX LZ 6.0[/b]
[b]Vokey TVD 52* and 56* w/ PX LZ 6.0[/b]
[b]TM Hi-Toe 60* w/ PX LZ 6.0[/b]
[b]Scotty Cameron Oil Can 009[/b][/color]

I got my 009 about 12 months ago. It is great...love the 350 head, very "meaty" feeling yet soft.

I have gamed it but could sell it quickly for the price I paid.

But would really NOT want to sell it.

Smart move adding the "NOT". You probably would've received quite a few offers.

I'm also one of those people looking to buy low and sell high. My Cameron collection fluxuates all the time, but currently is at 14. Most of those I simply own to sell one day in pursuit of a 009 or Circle T that really catches my eye. I can definitely say that I'm enjoying the journey, though. I think the putter will mean a lot more to me when I get it this way versus just being rich and buying whatever I want. My first child is due in June, a son, so I definitely hear loud and clear what some of you guys have previously said. ;)

Putting is all about confidence,looks and feel. I bet if everyone was given a blank check, you would buy one!

Let the pics tell the rest.

You'll get no argument from me, that is a beautiful putter. However, I seeing as how I can only make putts with center shafted MOI type putters, it would be foolish for me to buy a 009 unless I knew I could turn right around and flip it for a huge profit.

To me, what matters is making putts. I don't care how pretty it is, or how much it costs, if I can't make a putt with it, I dont' want it in my bag.

Different strokes for different folks I guess...

WITB:
Driver: Taylormade SIM 2  
3W: Honma TR21  
4-6: Honma TR-21V  

7-10: Honma TR21B  
52*: Vokey 52F
58*: Vokey 58D
64*: Vokey 64M (62 bent to 64)
Putter: Depends on the day and which ones are in time out
Ball: ProV1x

Guys,

These responses are exactly what I was hoping for when I posted this topic!!!

I just really wanted to see how people from different walks of life felt about Scotty Cameron 009s, whether they currently have one, are thinking about buying one or like me, just can't quite get over the edge of just splurging on one!

Thanks for all the responses and I look forward to hearing more!

;)

I have 6 cameron putters....none of which is an 009. I can afford one but there is no way I would pay 2 or 3 grand for a theft magnet. I travel extensively and play golf almost daily. I have never seen a time when the thieves are more active. I'll just wait for another stock market crash and I'll buy an 009 from some poor guy who lost his shirt for a reasonable price. In my opinion, anybody who pays thousands of dollars for a putter is just plain nuts!!!

Nike Covert Driver with Matrix White Tie
Callaway XHot 3 metal
Adams Idea Pro 3 Hybrid
Taylormade r11 Irons with KBS tour
Titleist Spin mill wedges 50,55,60
Nike Method Putter, Pro V1x Ball

Here's the way I see it:

If an 009 is the right putter for you; you like the way it looks; it provides confidence, etc., then get one.

I get a big chuckle out of guys who state "I'd never pay $2,500 for a freaking putter." Then you look around and those same guys have dropped at least that much on a few drivers over the last year. Think about it this way: each time you buy that new TM TP driver at $800 a shot, you're 1/3 toward buying an 009. Even more importantly, what's the resale value on that driver after you hit it?

How many times do you hit a driver during a round? 14 tops (unless you're reloading from on OB shot). How many putts? 28-34 or thereabouts. IMO the putter is the most important club in the bag, so it has to be something that works.

Find something you like regardless of price, name, etc. and use it. FWIW, I use an 009.

Here's the way I see it:

If an 009 is the right putter for you; you like the way it looks; it provides confidence, etc., then get one.

I get a big chuckle out of guys who state "I'd never pay $2,500 for a freaking putter." Then you look around and those same guys have dropped at least that much on a few drivers over the last year. Think about it this way: each time you buy that new TM TP driver at $800 a shot, you're 1/3 toward buying an 009. Even more importantly, what's the resale value on that driver after you hit it?

How many times do you hit a driver during a round? 14 tops (unless you're reloading from on OB shot). How many putts? 28-34 or thereabouts. IMO the putter is the most important club in the bag, so it has to be something that works.

Find something you like regardless of price, name, etc. and use it. FWIW, I use an 009.

That's very well said in a quite unbiased way, which is refreshing given how defensive Scotty lovers here can get when others question the value of the product

Thank you. Most Scotty fans only get defensive when others try to say that an 009 is no different from an OTR Newport, that a tour putter is just an OTR with cool stamps, or similar type discussions. IMO an uneducated post bashing a Scotty putter will cause fans to become defensive. I truly appreciate how this thread has stayed on topic more or less and not wandered off into the typical "Scotty ripped off Karsten Solheim's design" etc. There are already enough of those treads to give us all headaches for weeks.

Here's the way I see it:

Very good thought and point!

Good afternoon all.

Here's my opinion:

1) 009's are not made any better than the good OTR Camerons. I will get arguments from others, but that, in my opinion, is the truth. If you need a heavier headweight that you can't get from most OTR lines, you still have the Newport Mil-Specs, Newport 2 Studio Stainless and the current Newport 2 Studio Style and can choose from 330, 340 and 350 gram heads. All great putters and all obtainable for $300 or less. You can have them fitted to any length you want, and go nuts with different paint fills.

2) If you want a 009 because you like the exclusiveness of it, go ahead--as long as you can afford it. But if you want a 009 because it's going to put the ball in the hole in fewer strokes than the putters named above, forget it, it ain't happening.

Very well said!

I own a 009 beach Newport and I think it's a one of a kind! I got very lucky on e-bay. I threw a bone(500$) to a just added 009 and the seller accepted my offer! You just have to get lucky and immediately throw in a reasonable amount of $$$ so maybe they'll sell.

I'm a golf professional and I don't play it because the headweight is not quite heavy enough. I just keep it safe at the house.

Maybe in a couple of years time it will be worth more, maybe it will be worth less. But you won't make fewer strokes because it says 009 on it. That's for sure!!!