2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Odds of Getting on The Old Course As A Single

Going to be in St. Andrews later on October 6th and all day on the 7th. What are the odds of being able to get on the Old Ourse as a ingle? I know I'd have to show up in the queue but not slure how early to get there or are there other options. I don't have another golfer so can't sign up or the ballot. Any help is appreciated.

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100% guaranteed!

I showed up at 430 am and was 4th on the list. Ended up that a full tee time cancelled and they paired the 4 of us together at 8am.

Tee times have the right of refusal....first on the list was a lady and 3 tee times refused to accept her to join their pairing....too bad, lovely lady and good golfer!

Anyways, you may get picked up by a pairing earlier.

[quote name='Capitalist!' timestamp='1374575932' post='7520220']
Not 100%

But highly likely... Probably 98%

If you need 100%, sign up through a tour operator.... Also try single golfer advanced tee times thru website....
[/quote]

Can you be more specific on the single golfer advanced tee time thru website?

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 

Titleist Pro V1X

[quote name='buckI' timestamp='1374628115' post='7526092']
[quote name='Capitalist!' timestamp='1374575932' post='7520220']
Not 100%

But highly likely... Probably 98%

If you need 100%, sign up through a tour operator.... Also try single golfer advanced tee times thru website....
[/quote]

Can you be more specific on the single golfer advanced tee time thru website?
[/quote]

The best thing to do, would be to email them and explain the situation, as they normally stipulate a min of 2 players for both advanced bookings, and the ballot, so your best chance may be to just turn up on the day at silly early. They may relent on their 2 player policy if you email them though, as they really don't want to be turning people away.

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1374547994' post='7518984']
100% guaranteed!

I showed up at 430 am and was 4th on the list. Ended up that a full tee time cancelled and they paired the 4 of us together at 8am.

Tee times have the right of refusal....first on the list was a lady and 3 tee times refused to accept her to join their pairing....too bad, lovely lady and good golfer!

Anyways, you may get picked up by a pairing earlier.
[/quote]

Sounds like I just need to get there early...how early is the question.

Do you just wait around near the starter area until you're called if they have an opening or can you leave for a while assuming you are far enough down he list?

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 

Titleist Pro V1X

[size=4]Tee times have the right of refusal....first on the list was a lady and 3 tee times refused to accept her to join their pairing....too bad, lovely lady and good golfer![/size]
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]Unless a group was going to fart, swear and tell dirty jokes all day....why would they not want to play with this lady.[/size]
[size=4]You know she's likely to be a fairly decent golfer....she woke up early to be on the singles list and it's not cheap to play the Old Course.[/size]
[size=4]I can't believe at a public course......a group would be allowed to refuse a player unless they paid for the vacant slot.[/size]

[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1375276900' post='7575050']
I was there last year in the first week of September. I checked with the starter the day I got there and he told me to be at the queue at 3:30. I did that and was fifth the first day and first the second day.
[/quote]

As the fifth, what time did you actually tee off? Also, once the starter arrives, do they just tell you to wait or do they give you any idea how long it will be if there is a chance you can play?

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 

Titleist Pro V1X

[quote name='grant7' timestamp='1375357767' post='7582044']
Once the starter is there they will take names and give you an idea when you'll tee off, you are free to leave and come back, you won't to removed from the list.
[/quote]

But if you miss your spot you are screwed.

The best thing to do is pack a "breakfast" for yourself - a sandwich, some fruit, a drinkable yogurt, a can of coke for caffeine. That what after the starter gets your name you can stay and eat your breakfast on one of the benches near the first tee.

The starter gives no indication of when you may go off.

[quote name='buckI' timestamp='1375316538' post='7579654']
[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1375276900' post='7575050']
I was there last year in the first week of September. I checked with the starter the day I got there and he told me to be at the queue at 3:30. I did that and was fifth the first day and first the second day.
[/quote]

As the fifth, what time did you actually tee off? Also, once the starter arrives, do they just tell you to wait or do they give you any idea how long it will be if there is a chance you can play?
[/quote]

Once the starter arrives everyone gives their name in the order that they got to the queue. (Don't forget you need a printed handicap card. I don't believe they will just take your word for it.) Then it is anyone's guess as to how long you will wait. At the caddie shack there is a monitor that shows the reserved tee times which may give you some indication, but surprisingly, there are often no-shows - even entire groups.

So as I mentioned in response to the next post, bring a packed breakfast and hang out on the bench and eat when you get hungry. As I said if you are gone when they call you you are screwed. Oh and have your clubs with you. I saw at least one get screwed over because he thought he'd have time to go back and get them .... he didn't.

When I was first in the queue I actually got out in the first group. Wish I hadn't as I was paired with three arrogant American a******* who pretty much ruined the experience. When I was fifth - I don't remember when I got out - maybe 9:00 AM? That time I was actually paired with a member and two of his American guests. It turns out I recognized the two Americans as I swear I had been paired up with them on a local course outside Boston. They didn't recognize me though. This was a great round. the member was very friendly and generous and keen to make sure I had an enjoyable time. Not snooty of stuck up at all. It was funny because he actually had his dog tied to his bag. He'd trot along when walking from shot to shot. And then sit quietly when not moving. It was great. Imagine seeing that on the uppity, uppity, snooty, better-than-you private course we have her in the States!

Anyway, if I think of more advice I'll let you know.

Get there early, bring your handicap card, bring your clubs, bring breakfast, and don't go anywhere. Oh and dress in layers - it is cold at 4:00 AM and it was quite pleasant during the day.

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1375287370' post='7576442']
[size=4]Tee times have the right of refusal....first on the list was a lady and 3 tee times refused to accept her to join their pairing....too bad, lovely lady and good golfer![/size]
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]Unless a group was going to fart, swear and tell dirty jokes all day....why would they not want to play with this lady.[/size]
[size=4]You know she's likely to be a fairly decent golfer....she woke up early to be on the singles list and it's not cheap to play the Old Course.[/size]
[size=4]I can't believe at a public course......a group would be allowed to refuse a player unless they paid for the vacant slot.[/size]
[/quote]

The groups refusing the woman should have been shamed off the course. What *****s.

I showed up at 5 two days in a row. The first day I was 4th in the queue. Second day I was 7th. I put my name in with Steve(the starter) at 7:30 and then left to eat breakfast, which Steve told me to do. Before I left for breakfast, Steve estimated I'd tee off between 10 and noon based on my standing. I was out by 11 on day 1, 10:30 on day 2. In most cases, you'll have time to grab breakfast and work on your putting while waiting.

[quote name='Northside Matt' timestamp='1375363230' post='7582528']
I showed up at 5 two days in a row. The first day I was 4th in the queue. Second day I was 7th. I put my name in with Steve(the starter) at 7:30 and then left to eat breakfast, which Steve told me to do. Before I left for breakfast, Steve estimated I'd tee off between 10 and noon based on my standing. I was out by 11 on day 1, 10:30 on day 2. In most cases, you'll have time to grab breakfast and work on your putting while waiting.
[/quote]

Must have had a different starter. I was specifically told, "don't go anywhere" and ,"we have no way of knowing when you may get out".

Personally I'd rather not have taken the chance.

[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1375364114' post='7582624']
[/quote]

Must have had a different starter. I was specifically told, "don't go anywhere" and ,"we have no way of knowing when you may get out".

[/quote]

When did you go? You used to have to stay but they have changed things in the last few years, my understanding is that when you return you regain your place on the list even if you have missed an earlier opportunity. Ask the starter on the day to be sure.

[quote name='grant7' timestamp='1375379745' post='7584558']
[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1375364114' post='7582624']
[/quote]

[/quote]

When did you go? You used to have to stay but they have changed things in the last few years, my understanding is that when you return you regain your place on the list even if you have missed an earlier opportunity. Ask the starter on the day to be sure.
[/quote]

I just played there last fall - first week of September.

Perhaps you were told to stay because it was clear you were going to get off quite soon.

They won't tell anyone a tee time because groups can refuse to take singles or there may be cancelations, they can't be certain but they can give you and idea, or you could just count the number of empty spots and make your own estimate.

• 1 year later...

the refusing singles in a very interesting twist. On one had it sucks, but on the other hand groups might spend $3000+ coming over to play and they may not want to get stuck with some a-hole. Not sure though how they know the person is an A-hole or not before they tee off.

I be over as a single in April, I guess I will need to wear my least A-hole outfit.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely have your things with you, I have seen people be crossed off the list for reasons such as

"I just need to get my clubs from the car, will be back in 5" and "My friend is just in the bar at the Dunvegan, can I go and get him"

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

• 4 months later...

I am going with my Wife this time next year (already planning our trip out). We are arriving in Edinburgh on Sunday morning, will drive up to the course and probably walk it, since it is closed on Sunday. Arrive at the course early Monday morning to get on the singles list.[list]
[*]Is May a tough time of the year to get on as a Single? My wife will be walking with me and not playing, most likely with a camera. Are they ok with that?
[*]I have also heard that the caddies you get there seem to be in their late 60-70s and "on their deathbed", my friend ended up carrying his own bag and more had a story teller and caddy! I assume they are worth the $50?
[*]I will be renting clubs, I assume from their website, they are good/current technology clubs?
[/list]

I saw a post a while back to get on their advance singles list signup on their website, I plan to do that also when it is available in August.

Anything else I am missing?

PING G425 LST 9*
PING G400 3w
PING G400 5w
Srixon z745 4-PW
PING Glide 50, 54, 58
PING Tomcat 14

My caddie was early 20's. As was one of the others in our group. And yes, even if old, they are worth the price. Jubilee you don't need them. New you can probably get away without. But the old course has so many lines that are different depending on the weather/wind that they are worth it. Take that time to enjoy the course without worrying about your sticks.

[quote name='jsams222' timestamp='1433254908' post='11673978']
I am going with my Wife this time next year (already planning our trip out). We are arriving in Edinburgh on Sunday morning, will drive up to the course and probably walk it, since it is closed on Sunday. Arrive at the course early Monday morning to get on the singles list.[list]
[*]Is May a tough time of the year to get on as a Single? My wife will be walking with me and not playing, most likely with a camera. Are they ok with that?
[*]I have also heard that the caddies you get there seem to be in their late 60-70s and "on their deathbed", my friend ended up carrying his own bag and more had a story teller and caddy! I assume they are worth the $50?
[*]I will be renting clubs, I assume from their website, they are good/current technology clubs?
[/list]
I saw a post a while back to get on their advance singles list signup on their website, I plan to do that also when it is available in August.

Anything else I am missing?
[/quote]

The rental sets will be matching and very decent, caddies are worth the money and most likely not on their deathbed, last time I played the other players in my group had caddies that were most likely mid 40s and you should be able to get out ok in May, just ask once you're in the area what time you need to be in the queue.

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"