Age 55 and older

Have been working on my grip for about a year; worst year of my golfing life. Starting to see some progress, but I really hate the 460's any brand. Have a 20 year old Big Bertha Strong 3, loft about a 13, I may refurbish and start using it off the tee exclusively. I hit it about 210-230 but keep it on the fairway and I am finding out as I get older that is the important thing.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1375274295' post='7574830']
A couple of things we need to consider at this point of our games, with respect to age and physical ability is not to be caught up in the higher loft and softer flex being the save all solution.

Remember spin is a double edged sword, so be careful that the equipment still agrees with your transition tempo and launch angle for optimum distance and accuracy.
[/quote]

This relates to my experience. I'm 63 (when fitted) swing about 92 with an easy transition and load the shaft late. I have a 910 D2 10.5 adjustable with a stiff and regular MFT shafts. I do much reading (Wishon and others) and decided I'm going to break down and spend $100 to get a good driver fitting. I went in thinking the recommendation would be for a 12 degree adjustment and a regular or softer shaft. After several combinations put into my adjustable driver the recommendation was for an Oban 7 (75g) stiff shaft with my driver set at 9.75 degrees. This combination cut the spin down and gave me 20 yards more on average based on Trackman. We decided to go with 44" for control and consistency.

[i]Playing a new TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 adjusted to 11.2* with XCon 5 X shaft.[/i]

[i]Carrying the ball about 270-275 these days. On dry Texas fairways, the rollout helps. On lush Minnesota fairways, not so much.[/i]

[i]I hate getting old like all the rest of you guys.[/i]

[i]Texsport[/i]

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

weten2,
I have even started playing an x flex in my irons and the accuracy has increased without a substantial loss of distance. Then, on the other side of the coin I know a younger, extremely fit guy that plays x in his irons, but because of his swing transition off the tee uses a regular flex in his driver. I don't think it's all apples to apples when judging by age and swingspeed only.

[quote name='Texsport' timestamp='1382465849' post='8040821']
[i]Playing a new TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 adjusted to 11.2* with XCon 5 X shaft.[/i]

[i]Carrying the ball about 270-275 these days. On dry Texas fairways, the rollout helps. On lush Minnesota fairways, not so much.[/i]

[i]Texsport[/i]
[/quote]
Texasport
I can relate to the Texas rollout. Coming from Chicago I found my longest drive playing with my son who was attending TCU in Fort Worth.

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1382465859' post='8040825']
weten2,
I have even started playing an x flex in my irons and the accuracy has increased without a substantial loss of distance. Then, on the other side of the coin I know a younger, extremely fit guy that plays x in his irons, but because of his swing transition off the tee uses a regular flex in his driver. I don't think it's all apples to apples when judging by age and swingspeed only.
[/quote]
Based on my long thread on Shafts for 60 and over and many recommendations I went with Aerotech steel fiber shafts for my new irons. I actually talked my fitter into these and he thinks they are more accurate than steel and will gain many followers on the tour. Just ask Kuchar and Snediker who both play the 95 g in their irons. They are also easier on the joints; the main reason for me.

[quote name='weten2' timestamp='1382467091' post='8040953']

[i]Texsport[/i]
[/quote]
Texasport
I can relate to the Texas rollout. Coming from Chicago I found my longest drive playing with my son who was attending TCU in Fort Worth.
[/quote]

[quote name='weten2' timestamp='1382467091' post='8040953']

[i]Texsport[/i]
[/quote]
Texasport
[/quote]

Go Frogs!

A long time friend of mine, Jack Montgomery, played the Tour for 10+ years after graduating from TCU.

He was one of the original Hogan Golf staff players.

He mentored my son who is a PGA professional now.

Jack also got me on Colonial the first time I played it - a great memory! (Too much roll at Colonial can be a bad thing, however)

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

[quote name='lawsonman' timestamp='1375268896' post='7574592']
Just wanted to get a idea of what some of us older guys are playing for drivers. I'm 61 and still hit the ball decent.Drives are usually 210-230 and I am rarely in trouble off the tee. Every once in a while I'll hit one 250 but that only happens maybe once a round. I use a Cleveland Classic 290 with a stiff stock shaft. What are some of you other old farts using?
[/quote]

I'm 72 and my Driver is a Ping G10 9 Degrees with a Ping Soft Regular Shaft. I carry my driver 200 Yards Exactly. Dead center of the fairway everytime, without fail. I'm not long, but I never miss a fairway.

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

I am 57 and I normally play a Taylor Made R9 Super Deep (BBLB) with Aldila RIP Stiff shaft. Today, I am going retro and playing the rough equivalent club from 1952 - [b]a MacGregor Tourney M09 Jumbo LFF (Long Flying F****r). [/b] I am taking along a Mac Toney Penna 3 wood from 1957 and a Jack Nicklaus Muirfield 4 wood from 1986 (Masters win year!).

This should be interesting.....

• 3 weeks later...

Well I am 56 still carry it about 240 roll out to about 260. Right now I am hitting a Hathaway 10.5* with a Creation tour only shaft. My other drivers are a Wishon 949 MC 9* with a UST Pro Force 65 Gold S flex and a Hogan CS-5 8* with the stock Aldila NVS 65. The Hogan I can hit with less carry but more roll but I have been gaming the Hathaway for a month now and can hit it straighter than any metal driver I ever owned

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

66 here and I hit one about 220 last week. I was hitting them 245 last year. I am improving my lag in my swing and getting more distance. (Driving is the weakest part of my game) I can attest it gets harder every year. I just switched back to graphite irons pw-5 but sometimes hit a Scratch 47* wedge with the stock shaft and leave the Rocketbalz pw in my trunk. I have played graphite in past years and am used to them. I have no problem with direction and hit the ball straight. I still carry a Sonartec 21* and hit it well. I cannot afford to lose any more distance.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

• 2 weeks later...

i am 57 and longer than ever thanks to modern drivers. 250-270 avg. i have 2 square head drivers i built using an adjustable hosel kit from golfworks. set them to open and play a power fade. i dont have much luck with most stock drivers as they are made to help a slice. i hit a draw every shot except with the open face drivers i built for my self

73 hogan apex

55 and so far the BEST BY FAR driver I have hit is a Ping i15 11 degree stock regular shaft. Hit it about 230-265 consistently with a slight draw. I know not many like the i15 driver on this forum but man I've had great success with it. Also have a Cleveland Classic 290 with stock regular shaft that I hit well.

[size="3"][color="#000000"]I am 55. About 7 years ago, I demo'd a LH LaJolla 350 cc 9 degree driver from my local clubbuilder with a Proforce 65g regular shaft. I took it out to see how it compared to my TM R7. There was literally no difference in distance and I liked the smaller head. I put it in the bag and sole the R7. I did reshaft it with a Proforce 65g stiff shaft a couple years ago. I lost 10 -15 yards, but hit it straighter. I keep trying the newer drivers, but somehow this one still stays in the bag. [/color][/size]
[size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size]

[size="3"] [/size]

[size="3"] [/size]

By the time I can play again, I'll be 59. Currently play two drivers:

Titleist 910 D3 8.5 cranked as low as it will go loft wise, Diamana WB 73g x-flex 44.5" OAL

Ping i20 lofted to 8.1, Diamana WB 83g s-flex 45.5" OAL

Bill

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 59 at this point w/ a driver swing speed in the mid 90's. That puts my average carry 225-235 with some roll out to 240-250;

SInce January 2013 I've been hitting a Titleist 910 D2 9.5 degree with a stock Kali Stiff, Could go to a Regular shaft but I'm still much more accurate with a moderate weight Stiff shaft.

Titleist TSR2 10* Hzrdus Red
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Red
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1387931548' post='8345467']
Sounds like the plan Memphis. Ah, Christmas in the mid south I remember them well.
[/quote]

Where were the Christmas' spent?

Titleist TSR2 10* Hzrdus Red
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Red
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

• 2 weeks later...

I will be 55 next month and I "hate" all 460 heads...cannot tell you why but I have had many drivers go through my bag to eventually find themselves traded in. I have always played strong 3 woods off the tee and in my 40's could hit them pretty far...used to average around 250 with an XCG3 back in the day but I currently hit an [b][color=#ff0000]i[/color]20[/b] strong 3 wood off the tee and average 225-230 but can put one out there 250 once in a while (don't get much roll on my course)...but I have always longed for PING to get into the strong 3 wood game (13 deg, longer shaft) and finally my wish has come true as this spring they are releasing the PING [color=#ff0000]Rapture[/color] Fairway wood (13 deg and 43.5 inches)...I can't wait even though I will probably order it with a Project X 6.0 Black FW shaft and maybe at 44 inches to get me back to 250???

[attachment=2011331:Rapture_1.png]

[size=3][b]PING[/b] - Rapture V2, 17*, TFC 939 H, x-stiff
[b]PING [/b]- [color=#FF0000]i[/color]20 irons, 3 - PW, +3/4 Black dot, CFS stiff
[b]PING [/b]- Glide 50ss / 54ss, +1/2 Black dot, CFS wedge
[b]PING[/b] - Cadence TR B65, 35in
[b]W/S[/b] - Duo Spin[/size]

[quote name='7464' timestamp='1389117258' post='8416169']
I will be 55 next month and I "hate" all 460 heads...cannot tell you why but I have had many drivers go through my bag to eventually find themselves traded in. I have always played strong 3 woods off the tee and in my 40's could hit them pretty far...used to average around 250 with an XCG3 back in the day but I currently hit an [b][color=#ff0000]i[/color]20[/b] strong 3 wood off the tee and average 225-230 but can put one out there 250 once in a while (don't get much roll on my course)...but I have always longed for PING to get into the strong 3 wood game (13 deg, longer shaft) and finally my wish has come true as this spring they are releasing the PING [color=#ff0000]Rapture[/color] Fairway wood (13 deg and 43.5 inches)...I can't wait even though I will probably order it with a Project X 6.0 Black FW shaft and maybe at 44 inches to get me back to 250???

[/quote]

Get fitted by Your pro or a PING rep. Maybe you need a little softer shaft (god forbid). But see someone who can put you on a monitor, etc. and do it outside where you can actually see the shot in real life, not just read it in a screen.
Back in the day, we could just sti down with the pro and order a driver built to your specs...3-wood head with a driver loft? No problem. Dynamic stiff tipped an inch and 3/8? Why not. Just not an option today. Even today's custom shops are not able to rework the metal woof heads.
Uncle Bub

[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1389132153' post='8417857']
Get fitted by Your pro or a PING rep. Maybe you need a little softer shaft (god forbid). But see someone who can put you on a monitor, etc. and do it outside where you can actually see the shot in real life, not just read it in a screen.
Back in the day, we could just sti down with the pro and order a driver built to your specs...3-wood head with a driver loft? No problem. Dynamic stiff tipped an inch and 3/8? Why not. Just not an option today. Even today's custom shops are not able to rework the metal woof heads.
Uncle Bub [/quote]

Thanks for the words of wisdom but trust me when I say I have been all through that. Actually my swing speed fits a stiff but the best driver I ever owned was the original Rapture with a UST X-stiff shaft (75 grams and 2.8 torque)...I probably only averaged 250 off the tee but hit a lot of fairways...I actually posted one of my best rounds (74) using this driver a few years back. Problem was I could average that with my strong 3 wood at the time and sometimes even put one out there further (GPS a few over 270). The Pro that use to work on my swing had no problem with me hitting just a strong 3 wood off the tee (check out Henrik Stenson) because he saw that I had confidence with it...I am done trying to swing a driver and was thinking about having PING WRX build me a strong G25 3 wood at 44 inches but now I will just wait for the 2014 Rapture.

[b]PING [/b]- [color=#FF0000]i[/color]20 irons, 3 - PW, +3/4 Black dot, CFS stiff

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='7464' timestamp='1389117258' post='8416169']

[/quote]

I'm 61 and play a G25 9.5* with a regular shaft, but I too am very interested in the new Rapture.

I like to play as much as possible with 8 clubs, give or take, because I believe in walking for wellness. I think that the Rapture, 5-wood, 23* hybrid, 6, 8, PW, SW, putter could be the ultimate walk and carry set for me.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

[quote name='gvogel' timestamp='1389977685' post='8478217']
I'm 61 and play a G25 9.5* with a regular shaft, but I too am very interested in the new Rapture.

I like to play as much as possible with 8 clubs, give or take, because I believe in walking for wellness. I think that the Rapture, 5-wood, 23* hybrid, 6, 8, PW, SW, putter could be the ultimate walk and carry set for me.
[/quote]

That sounds like a great set for walking...and I think yardage gaps are way over rated...even though that is what PING is promoting with the new Karsten irons...check them out!