Age 55 and older

67 years young.... 2.3 index....driver "Carry" distance is 235-240...the rest depends on bounce and roll (Various course = various conditions)

[i][b]Miura SIT,[/b][/i] 10.5* (Actual loft is 10*) Aerotech Claymore 48 gram...F5 flex...45.5" length...Pure grip....Total weight is 298 grams..... D-2 swing weight.

I have always been very straight and this driver gave me a little more distance....high launch and low spin.

Love it!!!

Yonex Tri-G 10* driver
Yonex Ezone GT 15*  3  wood
Yonex Ezone GT 18*  5 wood
Yonex Ezone GT irons 4-AW
Miura Tour Black 54* SW
Miura Tour Black 60* LW
Miura KM007 Putter

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came back to golf a few years ago after about a 25 year hiatus. I am 68 but in decent shape as my wife is a fitness person. I even run a little bit. And my driving has been one of the pleasures of my game these days. I can get it out about 280 sometimes. I guess like everyone else most of my drives are about 230 or so. I have been using a Titleist 910 - D2 with a regular shaft and I set it with a little more loft (it is a 9.5) and for some draw - I recall it is set at B4. I also have the Cleveland Classic 290 which I like just because of the looks of it. But the Titleist is the main club. And I regripped it not long ago so it feels good in the hands.

Callaway XR, 10.5. Fujikura Pro, R
Callaway XR, 15*
Taylormade SLDR 19*
Mizuno MP 64 4-PW, Project X 5.0
Cameron Studio Selecot Newport 2
Mizuno 52, Titleist Vokey 56, 60

71 290-300. 270 when my back hurts.

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]

55 TaylorMade R7 HT 10.5 with old Diamana BB 63gr stiff shaft with 45 inch length. Normal carry is 260yds. Have been tempted this year to shorten length 1/2" due to little control issue. Rheumatologist has had me on glucosamine/chondriton for years. Without it, I would not be anywhere near as limber as I currently am. As we all get older, better living thru chemicals.

I am 60 and use a Ping Anser 9.5 with Ahina stiff shaft. My drives average 250 with the occasional 275. I just wish they were straigter where I could score more consistantly.

Taylormade M5 9 hzrdus smoke stiff
Ping G410 14.5 Ping Tour 75
Taylormade M3 19 tensei blue 65 stiff
Callaway Apex CF-16 4-6 UST Recoil 780
Callaway MB 7-AW KBS Tour 110
Taylormade HiToe 54 & 60
Taylormade Tour Red 34"
Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
Titleist ProV1 Yellow 

57, driver swingspeed 85 or so, Callaway X-Hot 9.5 regular. Average 220, good is 240. Cobra Amp Cell in 8.5* setting is a fairway finder - I mean amazingly straight - but doesn't quite give me as much distance consistently as the X-Hot. I've hit literally every current driver from all the major manufacturers. Optiforce 460 in the Diamana shaft was decent, just not enough to pull the trigger at $400 when performance didn't really outshine the X-Hot. I'm a bit of an odd breed - despite a relatively slow swing speed, I have high spin and launch so I typically need a low loft with lower launch.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

[quote name='DrSchteeve' timestamp='1375306797' post='7578682']
57, driver swingspeed 85 or so, Callaway X-Hot 9.5 regular. Average 220, good is 240. Cobra Amp Cell in 8.5* setting is a fairway finder - I mean amazingly straight - but doesn't quite give me as much distance consistently as the X-Hot. I've hit literally every current driver from all the major manufacturers. Optiforce 460 in the Diamana shaft was decent, just not enough to pull the trigger at $400 when performance didn't really outshine the X-Hot. I'm a bit of an odd breed - despite a relatively slow swing speed, I have high spin and launch so I typically need a low loft with lower launch.
[/quote]

I'm the same way.When I was fitted for my Ping I20 irons I was sure I wanted to go with the KBS shafts.When the guy pulled up my numbers he said I definetly did not want to go with the KBS's because I already put a ton of spin on my shots. I hit my Cleveland Classic really good but I always think there is another setup out there that I can gain another 10-20 yards. I'm just really happy I'm not the only one here that doesn't hit 300 yards everytime and still have a day job. :rolleyes:

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

60 years old. I have been playing a 10.5* 913 D2 with a stiff Bassara shaft at 46". I can get the ball out to 240 with it on occasions, but usual distance is 230 - 235. I hit the ball straight enough to usually break 80 on a 6100 yard course.

Yesterday went to Titleist for a fitting. They want me to use a Bassara regular shaft at 45" with a 913 D2 9.5* head. I tried that tonight at the driving range and hit the ball higher. I'll be comparing for the rest of the year to see which I enjoy hitting better.

I also have a stock Ping G25 9.5* head with the stock regular shaft. It's easy to hit straight, and only a few yards shorter that the Titleist with the 46" shaft.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

57 years old, and was playing a G25 with the Tour Stiff stock Ping shaft. It was a great driver, but the head was so big it was almost a distraction.

Saw the new Callaway OptiForce the first day they put them out on the rack.

Picked up the 460 to look at and was not impressed.

Picked up the 440, set it down, looked at it, and immediately fell in love with the size and shape of the head. Hit a few balls in the simulator, walked to the counter and bought it.

Performance on the course more than justified the decision.

It is a transition / adjustment to a lighter club, but by focuusing on a smooth tempo, playing this driver is a great experience. Consistently hitting it 275-285, and it almost feels effortless.

Last Saturday, hit a drive on a par 5 (510 yards) and had 187 to the flag. Yes, it was a downhill tee shot, but I hit a fade to the center of the fairway.

Might be the best tee shot I ever hit, and the ball looked like it would never land.

I highly recommend this driver to any of you of the senior variety.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

58, 6 ft, 172 lbs, decent flexibility, recovering from circulatory "stuff"

R1 w/ Oban Revenge 55 R Flex set at 12 deg, D4 at 45 inches. In 90+ weather, put it out 240, with some at 260. Had it at 10.5 but added 1g to each weight port, and have decided to try it at 12 deg.

Just ordered Callaway 3Deep 14.5 YS6+ at 43.5 for tight par 4 holes off tee. If I want punishment, will try it off deck.

Had an Adams 9088UL 12.5 in Fuji Blur 55, but slightly too high and roll was limited. I like being past other old men, not hit a pretty drive and being only a few yard longer than the "roll the ball on the cement fairways" gang who look ugly doing it. Motivated me to improve my swing and speed.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I made a club for Jim, my friend, 73, uses a stiff ad di6 with i15 11.5, hits it 235. [quote name='lawsonman' timestamp='1375268896' post='7574592']
Just wanted to get a idea of what some of us older guys are playing for drivers. I'm 61 and still hit the ball decent.Drives are usually 210-230 and I am rarely in trouble off the tee. Every once in a while I'll hit one 250 but that only happens maybe once a round. I use a Cleveland Classic 290 with a stiff stock shaft. What are some of you other old farts using?
[/quote]

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

Not quite in the group you are asking about as I am 54 years old. I have always been a long ball hitter and I am still quite limber and have a very large swing arc so I can still generate a fair bit of clubhead speed (relatively speaking). I usually hit about 270-280 with the odd exceptional pop that gets out close to 300. I am currently using a Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme shafted with a stiff flex Diamana Kaili 75. I have gone up in loft to 10.5* from 9.5* in the last year and am seeing improvements in my driving distance due to the higher launch/flight and I can turn the 10.5 over much more consistently than the 9.5 so the draw also helps. I play my driver at 44.75".
My usual playing partners are a bit older than me and their distances have really dropped off over the last few years. We all used to be fairly similar in distance and I am frequently seeing differences of 30-40 yards between us now, so I guess that is what I have to forward to in the next few years.

64 I live in Asia and recently was in the US for a vacation. I spent almost the whole
month of June trying drivers. I was in shops and stores in Massachusetts, Rhode Island
and Florida. I tried every driver on the market and almost every shaft available. Through out
all the test my swing speed averaged 94. Most of the time I had no idea what the fitter was
giving me to hit. Using a launch monitor I just went by the direction off the center line and
the trajectory I wanted. Distance was unimportant.
It turned out the best driver for me was a Stock 9.5* Callaway X Hot with a stock R flex Project X.

Talent is the desire to practice

Great to hear from all you keen golfers who are similar in age to me. It's a nice feeling to be involved in a thread with your peers. It feels like a little WRX splinter group.
Bit of a side topic and I apologize if this is hijacking the thread, but i notice a lot of you guys have commented on the aches and pains, particularly back, neck and shoulder niggles that interfere with your driver swing. Question.... Do you think these niggles are a result of playing a lot of golf or are they just a natural state of affairs that are exacerbated by playing?
I know I could relate when I heard someone on here say that voltarin rapid was the 15th club in his bag. It caused me to chuckle but on the serious side is there a way to deal with these ailments so we can keep playing, or better still so our flexibility and full swing is more dynamic and productive?

[quote name='Oldplayer' timestamp='1375335006' post='7581324']
Great to hear from all you keen golfers who are similar in age to me. It's a nice feeling to be involved in a thread with your peers. It feels like a little WRX splinter group.
Bit of a side topic and I apologize if this is hijacking the thread, but i notice a lot of you guys have commented on the aches and pains, particularly back, neck and shoulder niggles that interfere with your driver swing. Question.... Do you think these niggles are a result of playing a lot of golf or are they just a natural state of affairs that are exacerbated by playing?
I know I could relate when I heard someone on here say that voltarin rapid was the 15th club in his bag. It caused me to chuckle but on the serious side is there a way to deal with these ailments so we can keep playing, or better still so our flexibility and full swing is more dynamic and productive?
[/quote]

I have always thought WRX should have Senior section so everyone is on the same planet when talking about the game we love. My aches and pains aren't from playing too much golf.I guess it's just what you have to put up with when you get older. Excercising is so important as we get older but I have a hard time being consistent about doing it.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I'm 66 playing an Anser 10.5 with the Phenom shaft-stiff. I'm getting 235-240 with roll and in the fairway. Love it. Interestingly I can't get within 15 yards of that with the G25. Straight, but dies where it lands. Tried three different shafts but... Ping does have enough different heads/shafts that anyone can get something that works.

[quote name='lawsonman' timestamp='1375354903' post='7581858']
[/quote]

I have always thought WRX should have Senior section so everyone is on the same planet when talking about the game we love. My aches and pains aren't from playing too much golf.I guess it's just what you have to put up with when you get older. Excercising is so important as we get older but I have a hard time being consistent about doing it.
[/quote]
Yeah a senior section might be good although it might end up with everyone talking about there ailments and surgical procedures ha ha.

[quote name='lawsonman' timestamp='1375354903' post='7581858']

I have always thought WRX should have Senior section so everyone is on the same planet when talking about the game we love.
[/quote]

They do; it's called the Classic Golf and Golfers section, although I must admit that most of the discussion centers around vintage equipment.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

[quote name='presser34' timestamp='1375275550' post='7574916']
Finally, realistic numbers in a WRX thread Never thought I'd see it!!!
[/quote]

Look at the age group. I think most of us are serious enough and have been around the block a few times that we could sniff out BS a mile away, either that, or, our eyesight and distance recognition has gotten better with age.

[/quote]
I have been in the medical field for 30 yrs. From day one I have always enjoyed talking with patients. My own thoughts are that it is just a fact of life. Majority of it can be from the stuff we did while we were younger, but not always true. Right now the main thing it to stay active. It doesn't matter it is something as simple as walking. You need to keep the parts moving. Biggest thing is a person has to find out what works for them, not what everyone else tells you to do. For us it is chasing that damn white ball.

Going to be 57 on the 5th

I have a good friend that owns the local Golf shop and have spent the last year hitting every USDM OEM club and shaft combo
available. It was somewhat of a challenge thrown out by him as I having been playing JDM clubs for the last 6-7 years with the
claim that I play better because of some of the stuff they offer that seems to suit me quite well.

Bottom line. There is know one club that is the best for all of us. You simply must get fit to get the most out of your swing and
swing speed. What works best for you really has nothing to do with what works best for me.

Having said that I have found that the smaller driver heads and lighter shafts work best for me. Maximizing what works best for me
opposed to something off the shelf I think I like can make a difference in finding the fairway much more often and as much as 20-
30 yards in distance.

I'm going to also go down as saying that because of the technology applied to the shafts in recent years it is the shaft that is making
the biggest difference, not the head.

The recent claims of increased distance with a couple of the newest heads is from being fit proffesionally. Find a head you like to look
down at and get fit and you will see I'm right.

390cc head w/55g shaft for my 96-98mph SS. Getting it out around 250+ on average depending on the firmness of the fairway.

[quote name='bjrapper' timestamp='1375327483' post='7580812']
Not quite in the group you are asking about as I am 54 years old. I have always been a long ball hitter and I am still quite limber and have a very large swing arc so I can still generate a fair bit of clubhead speed (relatively speaking). I usually hit about 270-280 with the odd exceptional pop that gets out close to 300. I am currently using a Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme shafted with a stiff flex Diamana Kaili 75. I have gone up in loft to 10.5* from 9.5* in the last year and am seeing improvements in my driving distance due to the higher launch/flight and I can turn the 10.5 over much more consistently than the 9.5 so the draw also helps. I play my driver at 44.75".
My usual playing partners are a bit older than me and their distances have really dropped off over the last few years. We all used to be fairly similar in distance and I am frequently seeing differences of 30-40 yards between us now, so I guess that is what I have to forward to in the next few years.
[/quote]

I'll be turning 50 in about 9 weeks, so I'm viewing this thread about the same way (what I have to look forward to)...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1375368895' post='7583192']
[/quote]

Look at the age group. I think most of us are serious enough and have been around the block a few times that we could sniff out BS a mile away, either that, or, our eyesight and distance recognition has gotten better with age.
[/quote]

Or maybe the kiddies just really hit the ball that far.

I've played with a fair number of folks I've met through internet golf forums, and while I have no doubt some people online are full of male bovine excrement, I've yet to meet someone who exaggerated their game. Everyone has been at least as good, or hit the ball at least as far, as they say they do.

And from what I've seen among more serious golfers in the general public... yeah, a fair number of the younger guys really hammer the ball.

Sorry for the brief digression, I admit I'm somewhat weary of reading implications that distance claims online are BS. Been seeing it for 15 years, some of it directed at me.

Now back to regularly scheduled discussion of the original topic...

Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1375447946' post='7589788']
[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1375368895' post='7583192']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Or maybe the kiddies just really hit the ball that far.

I've played with a fair number of folks I've met through internet golf forums, and while I have no doubt some people online are full of male bovine excrement, I've yet to meet someone who exaggerated their game. Everyone has been at least as good, or hit the ball at least as far, as they say they do.

And from what I've seen among more serious golfers in the general public... yeah, a fair number of the younger guys really hammer the ball.

Sorry for the brief digression, I admit I'm somewhat weary of reading implications that distance claims online are BS. Been seeing it for 15 years, some of it directed at me.

Now back to regularly scheduled discussion of the original topic...
[/quote]

Pardon the interruption, but, my point was targeted towards the older age group and that those of us that posted distances in THIS thread WERE not blowing smoke.

I regularly play with my sons and their age group friends, late 20s early 30s so I know a 300 yard drive when I see one.

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1375448370' post='7589836']
Pardon the interruption, but, my point was targeted towards the older age group and that those of us that posted distances in THIS thread WERE not blowing smoke.

I regularly play with my sons and their age group friends, late 20s early 30s so I know a 300 yard drive when I see one.
[/quote]

Maybe it's just me, but it still seems as though you're implying those in other areas of the forum ARE blowing smoke. Which relates to the point I was making...

Just sayin' <shrug>