2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

7 hours ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

4th round of the season. Making up for lost time earlier this April.  At the Park District par three that is about a 2i with the wind at my back from my front door.

I get a season pass for $219 and get unlimited rounds so I went around twice this afternoon.  

I moved up in time from my 1961 M Tourneys to 1962.   The 3w is from 1962 and the Cash-in is of similar vintage.  

Last year I played a set of 1963 M Tourneys regularly.  They didn’t have the D.S but the 11. According to Kaplan the D.S wedge was removed from the line in 1963. 

I really like that 11i and they made one for ‘62. But the D.S appears to be more common in sets being sold used of the pre 1963 vintage.  My ‘61 and ‘58 sets have the D.S as well.  

The soles on the earlier ones are wider and they get thinner as the years progress.  

I’ve never liked the looks of these opting for the 11i.  I’ve had some nice chips with these D.S wedges this spring. I think once the grass gets thicker they will be even more valuable.  I think the trick is to not over swing and let gravity sort of take over on the down swing.

DB1003FA-7CC4-45E5-87F1-C782801F0F9C.jpeg.8df63e3f4908e201ed328a99ce963ad2.jpeg

I can tell you that DS wedge is a do all wedge. They were great back in the day on the goat track courses I grew up on. No wonder my old man carried his for over 20 years and 2 different staff contracts. It is the only FC type club I have actually seen that was worn out. Wish I could find one. I actually like the 11 irons too and have 2 of them.

• Like 4

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Where is this group's cutoff for what counts as "vintage" for the purposes of this thread? I play with a lot of 90s era clubs - original Big Berthas, Titleist DCI irons (but with modern steel shafts), Golfsmith Titanium driver and 3 wood, a blade putter I put together or an original Ping Anser. Oh, and the Ginty pictured 🤣

Edited by grooveolator
  • Like 2

Play whatever you like.  If it's 25 years old, that's considered vintage in car circles I believe.  Others will claim that if isn't 100+ years old then it's not vintage, even if that's a more classic definition of antique.  The oldest clubs that I currently own is a pair of 1967 PowerBilt Citation laminate fairway woods with brass firing pins.  Seems like a practical pairing with a set of '87 Golden Ram blades even though they aren't much older than your Big Berthas or DCI's.

If you spend any amount of time on the equipment threads in other sections of WRX, then 5 years is old from a technological advancement point of view.  Whether it actually is old is the topic of another conversation...

• Like 3

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

28 minutes ago, grooveolator said:

Where is this group's cutoff for what counts as "vintage" for the purposes of this thread? I play with a lot of 90s era clubs - original Big Berthas, Titleist DCI irons (but with modern steel shafts), Golfsmith Titanium driver and 3 wood, a blade putter I put together or an original Ping Anser. Oh, and the Ginty pictured 🤣

I wouldn't speak for the group but my personal cut off point is 1990 or thereabouts. My "modern" bag consists of clubs built after that date. My "vintage" bag has mostly clubs manufactured from the '50s to the '70s.

• Like 4

Just now, raggal62 said:

I wouldn't speak for the group but my personal cut off point is 1990 or thereabouts. My "modern" bag consists of clubs built after that date. My "vintage" bag has mostly clubs manufactured from the '50s to the '70s.

I feel so left out. 😢 I wish I hadn't tossed my Titleist Tour Model blades and a bunch of wooden woods in my neurotic de-cluttering episode 10 years back. 😢🤦‍♂️

• Sad 3

58 minutes ago, scomac2002 said:

Play whatever you like.  If it's 25 years old, that's considered vintage in car circles I believe.  Others will claim that if isn't 100+ years old then it's not vintage, even if that's a more classic definition of antique.  The oldest clubs that I currently own is a pair of 1967 PowerBilt Citation laminate fairway woods with brass firing pins.  Seems like a practical pairing with a set of '87 Golden Ram blades even though they aren't much older than your Big Berthas or DCI's.

If you spend any amount of time on the equipment threads in other sections of WRX, then 5 years is old from a technological advancement point of view.  Whether it actually is old is the topic of another conversation...

👍👍👍 I'll throw my 90s clubs in my 88 Volvo and hit the Old Course! 🤣

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, grooveolator said:

👍👍👍 I'll throw my 90s clubs in my 88 Volvo and hit the Old Course! 🤣

Socomac basically nailed it in his post----- No one on here I recall gets to bent out of shape and concerned with the actual years--- Here we are pretty open minded. 

I see your 88 Volvo with 90s clubs and raise you one set of 60s to 80s Macgregors with a rusty 01 S-500 Benz. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grooveolator said:

My handle I feel perfectly represents a time period that coincides with "vintage" golf.  According to Wikipedia the Cold War lasted from Mar 12, 1947 – Dec 26, 1991.  It's just a silly time frame but I'm sticking to it!

I agree with the others here saying play what you like.  

What model Volvo?  My first car was a 1985 Volvo 240.

• Like 3

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

We don’t get too anal about what is vintage, especially when it comes to irons. When it comes to woods, we usually go for actual wood or first generation small headed “metals” but play what you like.

In our “classic steel” fun games, we generally kid anyone that brings out a graphite shafted wood, but it is all in fun. 

My personal collection of playable clubs is more focused on the two hickory eras, although I have some classic era as well. I also have several TM Pittsburg Persimmon metals as I played them starting in 1980. 

I own a relatively modern set but much prefer playing vintage.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hickory4ever said:

We don’t get too anal about what is vintage, especially when it comes to irons. When it comes to woods, we usually go for actual wood or first generation small headed “metals” but play what you like.

In our “classic steel” fun games, we generally kid anyone that brings out a graphite shafted wood, but it is all in fun. 

My personal collection of playable clubs is more focused on the two hickory eras, although I have some classic era as well. I also have several TM Pittsburg Persimmon metals as I played them starting in 1980. 

I own a relatively modern set but much prefer playing vintage.

If you don't mind me asking what makes up those "playable clubs" from "two hickory eras"?

• Like 1

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

2 hours ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

If you don't mind me asking what makes up those "playable clubs" from "two hickory eras"?

Whatever you find that works! 😉

I have diddly experience when it comes to hickories, but based on the little I do have I know that it's a bit of a journey finding players.  I've hit a few and I'm darn glad that I'm a picker/sweeper because the modern swing just doesn't cut it.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

2 hours ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

When golf was introduced in North America in the 1870’s, the gutta percha ball, smooth face irons and long nose woods were the norm. We refer to clubs from that time as Pre1900. Original irons can be found and are common when we play them in our events. The woods used are usually replicas from that era because the wooden clubs are more fragile and usually more valuable due to their rarity. We use replica gutta percha or limited flight balls in our events.

The wound golf ball was introduced around 1900 and the clubs changed quite a bit. The biggest boom in golf was from 1900 to 1935 and is what most people think of when they think of hickory golf. Irons had dot punch or grooves, woods became more like we see today in terms of shape. Since wound balls are no longer being made, we usually use soft modern balls when we play.

It is a blast playing in events from both eras although don’t recommend playing Pre1900 until you have tried the 1900-1935 clubs.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, scomac2002 said:

Whatever you find that works! 😉

I have diddly experience when it comes to hickories, but based on the little I do have I know that it's a bit of a journey finding players.  I've hit a few and I'm darn glad that I'm a picker/sweeper because the modern swing just doesn't cut it.

Hickory golf is growing in popularity, especially in Europe and parts of the U.S.. There are now 5 companies that I know of producing replica clubs. 

I introduce a lot of new people to hickory golf and find that most people buy into the myth that these clubs are unplayable and that they are going to break them. I have played roughly 300 rounds with hickory clubs in the last four years, 108 last year. The only breakage was two shafts that were suspect in the first place and I had the shafts replaced in both. The first time out, it will take a couple holes to adjust to the different look and feel of the clubs as they tend to be heavier. The woods are very similar to the classic woods so if you play them there is little adjustment. 

Scott, let me get you started. I have a good selection (an understatement) of playable clubs that suit a wide array of players. Playing from an appropriate yardage (5100-5400 yards), my scores are virtually identical to my modern scores. My hickory handicap is 4 strokes higher than my modern one (I have two official Golf Canada handicaps) largely due to the difference in playing one tee forward.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Hickory4ever said:

Scott, let me get you started. I have a good selection (an understatement) of playable clubs that suit a wide array of players. Playing from an appropriate yardage (5100-5400 yards), my scores are virtually identical to my modern scores. My hickory handicap is 4 strokes higher than my modern one (I have two official Golf Canada handicaps) largely due to the difference in playing one tee forward.

All in good time my friend.  I'm just getting warmed up to play moderns.  The vintage will come into play once I get somewhat of a swing grooved in again.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

On 4/13/2022 at 11:46 AM, BIG STU said:

Socomac basically nailed it in his post----- No one on here I recall gets to bent out of shape and concerned with the actual years--- Here we are pretty open minded. 

I see your 88 Volvo with 90s clubs and raise you one set of 60s to 80s Macgregors with a rusty 01 S-500 Benz. 

🤣😂

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

My handle I feel perfectly represents a time period that coincides with "vintage" golf.  According to Wikipedia the Cold War lasted from Mar 12, 1947 – Dec 26, 1991.  It's just a silly time frame but I'm sticking to it!

I agree with the others here saying play what you like.  

What model Volvo?  My first car was a 1985 Volvo 240.

240 wagon, 5 speed, IPD suspension upgrades and turbo exhaust pipes. Desperately in need of paint job.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Today was our first “Hickory Friday” of 2022. We had 10 hearty souls on a cool (8-10 Celsius) and high winds (40kph with gusts to 80). Needless to say, no sunscreen was necessary and we got a little drizzle on the last three holes.

I played with my newly acquired Walter Hagens. They are a great set and will be one of my go to sets. I was very happy with my 83 and won my match handily. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Foozle said:

I didn't manage to play much over the winter, combination of lots going on in other areas of my life and the weather conspiring against me when I did have free time for golf. Winter is when I normally do my "experimenting" with new acquisitions and clubs from my collection that suddenly occur to me to be the panacea for all my golfing woes.....

Anyhow, I ventured forth and managed 9 holes with these yesterday.20220415_155442.jpg.c963ccac9bc9f5e753a71410b699d448.jpg

I have eulogised about my beloved 80-82 Tour Grinds before; I literally played my original set to destruction! I finally managed to find a replacement set last Autumn - they are very scarce this side of the pond - and have been itching to play them. The set was missing the 9 so I grafted in the 2 and 9 from my original set to complete. They are every bit as good as a remember! 

I didn't play the SW with my original set but now find it is actually very good not unlike a Hogan Sure Out. I now need to decide between it and the R20 as they both perform the same function in the bag.

The putter is a Pal, recently acquired to fill out my Watson tribute bag. It took a while to find one not spoiled by polishing. It was bought more for display but I managed to roll in a couple of 10' putts so it may hang around for a while!

Woods are Spalding Tour Edition which I switched to last season and find I like. However, I think I will swap out the 3 for the 5 as although it means my gapping between 2 iron and 5 wood is probably minimal, the 5 wood is more versatile for escaping light rough etc.

Bag is a lighter weight replacement for my MacGregor bag as, having my trolley confiscated (trapped inside the closed locker room) during Covid lockdown I have rediscovered the joy of carrying.20220317_181458.jpg.313f1a67d42da5892e6442f6b7485338.jpg

All in all enjoyed the 9 yesterday in pleasant early spring weather and looking forward to the season ahead.

That Tour Edition 5 wood is a cracker, lovely wee snuggly head.

• Like 1

@cold_war_era_golfer; sounds like your first round was a bit like mine with a bird on the first hole.  Only difference being that yours was shot using classics and mine was shot using slightly more modern classics as per my signature.

You really do have an attractive setup with the Armour woods, VFQ's and a Cash-in.  You're spurring me on to bring out my PowerBilt Citations, Golden Rams and Zing putter for a more classic round in the near future.

• Like 4

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

On 4/16/2022 at 6:25 AM, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

Meet 'Sherman', part of my Hickory Household Cavalry, the 2nd of 3 over a period of 20years. This is Pitlochry in the Scottish Highlands. Also seen in N. Italy, Algarve, Scandinavia, Netherlands etc.

2009_0428Family0003.JPG Sherman Mk 2 2006 - 2012.JPG

I played Pitlochry once or twice many years ago. Isn't there one hole with an very elevated tee? I recall teeing off from what felt like the side of cliff on a course in that area, and I'm pretty sure it was Pitlochry. Last hole is downhill with OB on the right and a burn running in front of the green?

I played it with my brother on a wet, blustery day, and it being hilly but fun.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I played Pitlochry once or twice many years ago. Isn't there one hole with an very elevated tee? I recall teeing off from what felt like the side of cliff on a course in that area, and I'm pretty sure it was Pitlochry. Last hole is downhill with OB on the right and a burn running in front of the green?

I played it with my brother on a wet, blustery day, and it being hilly but fun.

Yes, that's the one. They have a week long golf festival annually, great fun.

6 hours ago, scomac2002 said:

@cold_war_era_golfer; sounds like your first round was a bit like mine with a bird on the first hole.  Only difference being that yours was shot using classics and mine was shot using slightly more modern classics as per my signature.

You really do have an attractive setup with the Armour woods, VFQ's and a Cash-in.  You're spurring me on to bring out my PowerBilt Citations, Golden Rams and Zing putter for a more classic round in the near future.

All I am waiting on is the tourons to clear out then I can get on the course to play my afternoon rounds. Our course has like 4 different men's leagues and 3 or 4 ladies leagues so mornings are impossible as far as tee times. As it gets hotter in the summer though they get more sparse. As far as my first vintage round of the season I have the equipment already set up. Going to go somewhat off the norm. Going to play a set of Murifields I have never played or hit before with a VFQ wedge and Penna SW. Of course my recently acquired and already beloved Jupiter Slugger and a Mac 3 wood will be in the bag. I am also going outside my norm and will be bagging a Spalding TP Mills #4. Then I have the 7 club set together too. but with me there are endless possibilities

• Like 4

I played 9 holes this afternoon after Easter festivities, with requisite pink and purple hands from dying eggs with my daughter.

I walked 9 holes at Mellomar from their 'tips' which is about 3000 yards. Driver was the Macgregor 60 eye-o-matic, irons Ping Eye 2 7/9/PW,  a newer Wilson Staff utility at 24 degrees, and a older Carbite putter of unknown origin year.

Shot a 43 which is a good score for me, didn't manage any great putts but was able to 2 putt most everything. I managed a green in regulation on the first 3 holes despite poor distance from the tee.

A bad drive and penalty on 6 led to a double bogey there. Another short drive on 7 led to a bogey on a hole I have been GIR on all spring with mostly pars. I rebounded with a 190 yard utility iron tee shot pin high on the green on 8 but I recorded my only 3 putt of the day to ruin the scoring opportunity. 

• Like 2

Nike Titanium Forged Driver

Louisville Golf 3 & 5 Woods

Ping Eye 2 green dot  3 iron to Sand Wedge

Ping Anser 

On 4/18/2022 at 10:58 AM, DCCarpenter said:

I played 9 holes this afternoon after Easter festivities, with requisite pink and purple hands from dying eggs with my daughter.

I walked 9 holes at Mellomar from their 'tips' which is about 3000 yards. Driver was the Macgregor 60 eye-o-matic, irons Ping Eye 2 7/9/PW,  a newer Wilson Staff utility at 24 degrees, and a older Carbite putter of unknown origin year.

Shot a 43 which is a good score for me, didn't manage any great putts but was able to 2 putt most everything. I managed a green in regulation on the first 3 holes despite poor distance from the tee.

A bad drive and penalty on 6 led to a double bogey there. Another short drive on 7 led to a bogey on a hole I have been GIR on all spring with mostly pars. I rebounded with a 190 yard utility iron tee shot pin high on the green on 8 but I recorded my only 3 putt of the day to ruin the scoring opportunity. 

A 3,000-yard nine hole course seems like a good length venue for persimmon. The course I play most of my persimmon golf at has three nine-hole layouts of around 3,200 yards each from the regular tees. I've played longer, but if it's over 6,600 for 18, then it can be a bit of a grind if the driver isn't working.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

A 3,000-yard nine hole course seems like a good length venue for persimmon. The course I play most of my persimmon golf at has three nine-hole layouts of around 3,200 yards each from the regular tees. I've played longer, but if it's over 6,600 for 18, then it can be a bit of a grind if the driver isn't working.

When I play vintage I do things my way and find it fun. On driving holes I do go up to the Super senior tees. Some of the par 3s I play from my regular senior tees since there is no loft difference between my vintage irons and my regular front line set. One of our long Par4s I play from the blues and make it a Par 5. One of our Par3s I play from the blues and hit a Persimmon driver and play as a 'drivable" Par 4. That hole playing as a par 4 offers a risk reward challenge from the back with persimmon. I switch up from time to time that way I issue myself new challenges which I find fun. Sometimes I play the round from the mid tees which is challenging at sea level with persimmon makes me challenge my up and down skills. I will say though on the 15th which is that before mentioned par 3 I do it from the back as a par 4. For me it is never boring and like Willie Nelson says "par on that hole is what I say it is that day"

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 3

We play mixed tees in my men's league and that's with modern sticks as several of the guys can't make the forced carry on a couple of the longer holes.

3000 yards for a side is about it for me no matter what I'm playing.  2500 yards is a lot more comfortable, especially when 200 yards is a darned good poke with a driver. 

• Like 3

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa