2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

2 hours ago, Jiggered said:

One of the pleasures of collecting is the opportunity to play with loads of amazing classic clubs, I completely change my bag pretty much once a week. 

Sure I could knock a shot or two off my handicap index if I stuck to one set but what would that give me but a number? I'd much sooner experience as many different clubs as possible from golf's golden age. 🙂

I have been told the same thing about handicap index--- But at this age and stage of life I do not keep a handicap so to speak and do not play stipulated events nor care to do either. If not for the Saturday Shootout I would not play the metals at all. Like you I look at my vast collection and think hmmm wonder if I can hit this or that today? All a part of my fun now

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

On 6/4/2022 at 10:35 AM, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Not sure if I'm doing myself a disservice with this approach with not sticking with one set.  But last month I shared a round where I showed the '63-64 "spade face" Synchro Dyneds. 

They are in REALLY nice shape and I do believe everything should be played and I'm not one to put things on display but for my morning rounds at the par 3 where I will often play 4-5 balls a hole and work out the short irons I thought I'd find a set with some more wear. 

Well I did and this set came with the '63-64 pitching wedge rather than the 10i my other set has.   This is the only pitching wedge I've seen from a set like this and of course I REALLY like it.  

I have to say I really like these Spaldings more and more each time I get out with them.

I replaced my ever present MacGregor persimmon with what I can tell is either a '59 or '60 Gene Littler 2 1/2w.  I got the set of Littlers 1, 2.5, 3.5, 4.5 and quality wise they seem right up there with the Macs.  They don't have the Top Flite shafts but the True Temper Pro Fits which you find on the '58 or '59 Wilsons.

IMG_5959.jpg.0202a3b616a037005fa614e5e5d15dd7.jpgIMG_5958.jpg.8e08a28fc81ddf2806ba6f9dde374e8e.jpg

I am in agreement with Jiggered, I play for the love of the game and quite frankly could care less about my handicap index (both of them). I played my modern (by my standards) clubs two days in a row for the first time in ages today. In a typical week I play at least three sets of clubs from three different eras and would not change a thing, it is a blast.

Before someone gets there nose out of joint about the two handicaps, they are totally legitimate and endorsed by Golf Canada. We are the first country in the golf world (that we know about) to have a hickory handicap in addition to one for modern clubs. If your interested, the difference is about four on the index, largely driven by the rating of the appropriate tee blocks.

Once you get used to switching back and forth, adaptation is easy. I know my lofts for each set, swing with a smooth tempo (playing hickory makes it easy) and my scores are comparable. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I have been told the same thing about handicap index--- But at this age and stage of life I do not keep a handicap so to speak and do not play stipulated events nor care to do either. If not for the Saturday Shootout I would not play the metals at all. Like you I look at my vast collection and think hmmm wonder if I can hit this or that today? All a part of my fun now

I have never bought a golf club that I did not intend on trying, my view is that they should be played and appreciated. Golf clubs belong on a golf course. If aging golfers can play, why not old clubs?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Hickory4ever said:

I am in agreement with Jiggered, I play for the love of the game and quite frankly could care less about my handicap index (both of them). I played my modern (by my standards) clubs two days in a row for the first time in ages today. In a typical week I play at least three sets of clubs from three different eras and would not change a thing, it is a blast.

Before someone gets there nose out of joint about the two handicaps, they are totally legitimate and endorsed by Golf Canada. We are the first country in the golf world (that we know about) to have a hickory handicap in addition to one for modern clubs. If your interested, the difference is about four on the index, largely driven by the rating of the appropriate tee blocks.

Once you get used to switching back and forth, adaptation is easy. I know my lofts for each set, swing with a smooth tempo (playing hickory makes it easy) and my scores are comparable. 

I quit keeping a stipulated handicap years ago. It was part of the membership package at my old club. Some guy said mine was not legit because I used non approved clubs ie: Mac VIPs etc. That guy was a loud mouth and no one liked him anyhow. Besides I told him I do not play in club events anyhow because I do not have AM status. Several of us around here keep an informal handicap. A friend who has physicl issues but is a computer whiz has the software and does them for like $10 a year. He does not charge me per say but I will bring him over a 6 pack of Miller Lite every now and then. So I do have 2 handicaps a vintage one and a regular one. But since I have been hurt I have posted few scores.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hickory4ever said:

I have never bought a golf club that I did not intend on trying, my view is that they should be played and appreciated. Golf clubs belong on a golf course. If aging golfers can play, why not old clubs?

I have pulled some from the scrap pile that I knew I could not hit but I had a home in mind when I pulled them. LOL I have not been to the yard or to Goodwill for over 2 years now. I have made a few trades but no purchases. I am thinning the heard. I have too much stuff and the exra storage unit across the road is starting to cost me now. Funny how when one goes on disability and fixed income how things change. We are comfortable and not broke but I can no longer justify the expense every month of the rental unit

• Like 1

My golf game has been the subject of my dedication lately. With this newest recession battering my business, it’s been a welcome place to get lost in. Since a forced vacation after I completely golfed myself out last summer, I've been bitten by the bug again and working hard to bring a ballooned 7 index back down to a number I can feel more respectable about. Not that a single digit cap isn’t something to be proud of, but it wasn’t that many years ago that I was a scratch. Many hours have been spent on swing-path and tempo drills on the range, and twice that amount of time has been spent in the short game area and on the putting green. For a 40 day stretch from mid April through beginning June I played at least 9 holes or practiced every single day.

Seeing much of the same golf, which is to say golf that showed lots of good shots (and potential), but too many bad holes to put a score together, I finally said to myself, "forget all this, I'm getting my old school bats out." "It's time to enjoy the experience and stop grinding on the results!" So, the last few rounds have been with my Penna persimmon woods, Wilson 76 Staff blades, Ping Eye 2 SW, and Ping Answer putter. There really isn't any other way to say it for me, golf becomes, "magical" again with these clubs. I'm sure it will fade, anytime you think you've caught lightning in a bottle with this game, the bottle always has a hole, or five in it. But...for now, I'm going to enjoy the sounds, vibrations, and ball flight provided by the tools used to play this game we love for the largest part of its existence. Oh, and I shot a 77 yesterday. First proper round under 80 in awhile. From 6800 yards (the back tees at my club) with gleaming chrome muscle, traditional lofts, two wedges, and persimmon.   

Not sure if it’s my flippy handsy move, but I think I play my best golf with these clubs. That shouldn’t make sense, but it does. 

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 4

Snuck around the front nine the other day in 38.  Weird for me was I had two birdies.  It is a rare day I get shots back.  Two birds, two bogeys, one double the rest par.  Walking with the Hogan bag.

Driver was not behaving by any stretch but I was hitting low worm burners which actually ran out not terribly bad given how dry it was the other day.  Makes a world of difference when the driver is somewhat on the map.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, smashdn said:

Snuck around the front nine the other day in 38.  Weird for me was I had two birdies.  It is a rare day I get shots back.  Two birds, two bogeys, one double the rest par.  Walking with the Hogan bag.

Driver was not behaving by any stretch but I was hitting low worm burners which actually ran out not terribly bad given how dry it was the other day.  Makes a world of difference when the driver is somewhat on the map.

I have to second the driver on the map difference. Whatever I sacrifice in distance by using the old persimmon I more than get back in accuracy on my mishits. That good ol gear effect.  

• Like 1

My mishit is a top.  Same as with my modern driver, difference being is I can get the ball on the bigger face of the modern driver.

I need some range time with both drivers.  That was only my second 9 hole round of the year.  For some reason I am hitting my irons stupid good right now.  The two birdies were combo of good iron shot and lucky putts that rolled in.

9 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Yep I can pretty much keep the persimmon in play on a mis hit. I do not elevate the persimmon as much as I used to due to loss of swing speed but I get plenty of roll out that makes up for it distance wise. I can tell by feel I am hitting the persimmon solid just do not have a lot of elevation which it does not bother me in the least. Had some hack up on the range the other week remark I was not getting the ball very high. One of those idiot types that does not have a clue. I asked him if he wanted to try it? No No No he replied I told him then STFU then and leave me alone.  I am not normally a harsh guy but this guy had the whole end of the range and I tend to get in the left corner by myself. But no he had to crowd right up on me and then make comments. My persimmon range time is my zone time where I just savor the sounds and feel of the wood and I do not like to be bothered 

Good for you Stu. Golf is crawling with those fools. The driving range is not a bar and I do not have a great pair of t****, leave me alone. I usually zone out with my ear buds and Pandora set on shuffle. I've had guys come a talking and I just ignore them, pretend I don't hear or notice. Rude? yes... but effective.

I came crashing back to earth yesterday with the vintage clubs. I hit the ball very solid, including a few drives right off the screws (which to me is worth the price of admission), but I can't make a putt to save my life. I have grooved a putting game that by and large saves my bacon with a modern, fat gripped, TM Spider mini. Now I am rolling through my stable of older more appropriate putters for a vintage bag, and they are not working. That may be something we don't address as much in the golf equipment debates on Wrx, modern putters make putting (especially short putts) stupidly easier. So, the question is: is it fair to game a modern putter with vintage golf clubs? I say, no. I cant bring myself to do it.   

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

Good for you Stu. Golf is crawling with those fools. The driving range is not a bar and I do not have a great pair of t****, leave me alone. I usually zone out with my ear buds and Pandora set on shuffle. I've had guys come a talking and I just ignore them, pretend I don't hear or notice. Rude? yes... but effective.

I came crashing back to earth yesterday with the vintage clubs. I hit the ball very solid, including a few drives right off the screws (which to me is worth the price of admission), but I can't make a putt to save my life. I have grooved a putting game that by and large saves my bacon with a modern, fat gripped, TM Spider mini. Now I am rolling through my stable of older more appropriate putters for a vintage bag, and they are not working. That may be something we don't address as much in the golf equipment debates on Wrx, modern putters make putting (especially short putts) stupidly easier. So, the question is: is it fair to game a modern putter with vintage golf clubs? I say, no. I cant bring myself to do it.   

Interesting.  I actually shelved my SC for a Bullseye flanged vintage putter that goes in whatever bag I’m playing. Its real decent out to about 12-15 feet.

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4/5 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 6-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore RTX Tour Raw 52/56

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

I play a putter that's a similar age to the clubs I'm playing that week.

I have a few simple mallets but that's as far as it goes for technology.

I don't use anything resembling an Anser style putter as they're effectively cavity back putters and were the beginning of the end for putters in my eyes.  (That comment might ruffle a few feathers 😮 )

• Like 4

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

3 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

Deep down inside I agree with you on the putter. I also feel hyprocrital when I use a claw type grip with a vintage putter. But I do enjoy trying to putt with some of my Ironmasters , T.P. Mills or a Bullseye. I do quite often practice with one of the above for my feel like I do with persimmon. They are doing a total course Aeration at my course this week and I just got off the phone with one of my buds. He says he is not going to play the Shootout for a couple of weeks until the greens heal. I told him that the greens were going to putt like crap anyhow and I was thinking of bringing my Hickory shafted Otey blade out Saturday for kicks and giggles

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Interesting.  I actually shelved my SC for a Bullseye flanged vintage putter that goes in whatever bag I’m playing. Its real decent out to about 12-15 feet.

I went back to my Rusty Vintage Santa Fe after a bud of mine chided me over switching putters so much lately. But it is a 1997 raw rusty vintage and has a genuine Bulls Eye fluted shaft and I do have a SS 3 XL on it though. I am pretty decent with the Bullseye and practice with it a lot for alignment and feel

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Deep down inside I agree with you on the putter. I also feel hyprocrital when I use a claw type grip with a vintage putter. But I do enjoy trying to putt with some of my Ironmasters , T.P. Mills or a Bullseye. I do quite often practice with one of the above for my feel like I do with persimmon. They are doing a total course Aeration at my course this week and I just got off the phone with one of my buds. He says he is not going to play the Shootout for a couple of weeks until the greens heal. I told him that the greens were going to putt like crap anyhow and I was thinking of bringing my Hickory shafted Otey blade out Saturday for kicks and giggles

Now that sounds like some fun. Hunch down a bit like Arnie and pop stroke that ball with the Otey, get it above and rolling over the minefield. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Might look into adding a Zebra putter to the stable if you're accustomed to a mallet.  Period correct with the '76 Staffs, old enough to be labeled a classic.  Head weights are where I a find a notable difference between classic and modernist putters.  One can add weight (washers) to a Zebra under the sole plate.  

In the end, it's your bag.  Play whatever mashup of old and new implements that you please.  No rules of engagement.   

You make a good point. But I am part Polish, and stubborn.  Part of me thinks it's the fat superstroke grip more than it's anything to do with the putter head.  I do appreciate your recommendation on the Zebra.  To the Bay I shall go. 

Edited by Dr. Block