2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

3 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I had to straighten my feathers before replying😉

I can see your point; if I were only playing Fifties and Sixties equipment, I'd want my putter to match. 

However, I don't have enough equipment from that era to put anything like a full bag together. Most of my stuff is Seventies and Eighties, so I don't mind throwing a Ping Zing2 or TPA XVIII in with that. 

Now, if you were to send me that beautiful long-necked Gradidge putter on extended loan, I'm sure it would find it's way into the bag...😊

I think the putters you listed are righteous. I settled on a Cleveland Classics 4 from the 90’s or early 2000’s for today’s round. It is similar to a ping zing 2 putter. Modern? I suppose, but it doesn’t have a fat grip or resemble a space craft from Star Wars, so I think it works. I also made a bunch of putts, and my game is very reliant on that. I need my par saves, lol 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

Great post. I feel the same way. I know there are no rules of engagement, but I can’t do anything modern either. My Ping Eye 2 Xg SW probably is a bit of a stretch. But I think if Seve did it, then it’s cool. 

I love the way the vintage bag changes my short game for the better. I often use a 9 or even 8 iron on shots I would hit with one of my 5 wedges in my modern bag. I simplify and get the ball rolling. I love playing it along the ground like that. Not only does it leave a little room for error, but it just feels so good when you get it perfect and the ball takes those last few turns to leave a simple 3 foot putt. 

Exactly! Playing with 2 wedges (PW and SW) and pulling off some creative saves is one of best parts of classic golf, IMO. 

I admit I do sometimes throw in a gap wedge but mainly because I've a couple that are too nice NOT to use. I've also a BeCu EYE2 L wedge and Wilson Tom Kite 60* that I use occasionally, but they're both mid-to-late Eighties clubs, so they fit with the time frame of much of my classic equipment.

Right now, though, I've just the PW and SW in the classic bag. Wilson irons with Mac SW...hope that's not like dividing by zero.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Exactly! Playing with 2 wedges (PW and SW) and pulling off some creative saves is one of best parts of classic golf, IMO. 

I admit I do sometimes throw in a gap wedge but mainly because I've a couple that are too nice NOT to use. I've also a BeCu EYE2 L wedge and Wilson Tom Kite 60* that I use occasionally, but they're both mid-to-late Eighties clubs, so they fit with the time frame of much of my classic equipment.

Right now, though, I've just the PW and SW in the classic bag. Wilson irons with Mac SW...hope that's not like dividing by zero.

Man, those are some nice wedges. Sounds like you have some nice stuff. Im a lefty so my vintage gets are limited. I keep hoping one day a lefty Wood Brothers Texan will pop up somewhere. That is my grail piece 

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

Man, those are some nice wedges. Sounds like you have some nice stuff. Im a lefty so my vintage gets are limited. I keep hoping one day a lefty Wood Brothers Texan will pop up somewhere. That is my grail piece 

I was on the look out for a Wood Bros Japan Tribute as I live in Japan. I eventually found one, but when it arrived, the shaft was too whippy for me, and the head had also expanded due to moisture. Now I'm not sure what to do with it.

I do have a couple--well four--Texans that hit well. One I particularly like. Actually, the Wood Bros club I hit the best is probably the Corker I have. I've hit some big drives with one.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

Now that sounds like some fun. Hunch down a bit like Arnie and pop stroke that ball with the Otey, get it above and rolling over the minefield. 

LOL talking about a minefield--- I messed around a little Mon and Tue because the course will be closed Wed thru Sunday with the exception of the Shootout Saturday. I was really piddling around between the putting green and the wedge area. I had my rusty Scotty in the Sunday Bag along with one of my Ironmasters. I putted one down the hill and I pulled it with the old IM pulled it about 2 inches and I was laughing as in "that really sucks" it hit a bump kicked dead right into the hole. I really went to laughing then. For some reason perhaps it was price we had a plethera of like tourist families and like teenagers playing. I sat in my usual chair under the umbrella and enjoyed a PBR and a slider from the grille. I was watching them putt and the putts were bouncing like a basketball. I did not play the shootout Saturday because it was CPO but I heard some horrow stories about the greens. Some of the guys said they were laying off for a few weeks. I told them that after they had aerated and sanded and dragged the greens would be fast but roll good. Now way they could roll worse IMHO. I did help management some because they have been so good to me. I did put together 2 teams for Saturday that committed to play no matter the shape of the greens. I hope we have the minimul of 24 players to pull it off. But yeah you called it dead on with the Otey pop stroke it and get it turning over on top. I may go since my course is closed up the street and play the executive tourist trap with the 7 club set up today. Rode by there yesterday on the way back from running a Funeral Service at church and their Par 3 greens look decent

• Like 4

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I played 18 today at Walden CC, I used the hybrid as my tee club but otherwise every shot was with the Wilson Gooseneck blade irons , old Austad bullseye putter , and the occasional shot with a first run vokey 52 wedge. 

My 9 iron chipping has been fantastic the past couple weeks since going to the gooseneck irons full time from the Ping eyes , I’m getting lots compliments from my playing partners on it and most importantly getting some up and downs.  I want to try and stretch this out distance wise to 90-100 yard chip style runners with the 7 iron but don’t really have anywhere to practice that shot.  

Turf interaction and ability to launch high shots on the 52-08 vokey wedge seems so much better than the gooseneck 50 degree pitching wedge or 55 sand wedge. Not sure why , it would be nice to just use the Wilson set in entirety but I can’t seem to make good shots with the pitching wedge and sand wedge. 

Nike Titanium Forged Driver

Louisville Golf 3 & 5 Woods

Ping Eye 2 green dot  3 iron to Sand Wedge

Ping Anser 

The Otey did not work out as planned. We got T Storms early Saturday morning and the sand was clumped up. I had to knock the crap out of the Otey at 10 feet to actually sniff the hole. I was hitting at it so hard I was pulling it. Luckily I had the rusty Scotty in the car. I did add 2 wide strips of lead tape across the top and the bumpers. That will come off later when they get the greens back right. Actually our team did well 17 GIRS but could only manage -3. Supposedly some team shot -10 which me and others found hard to believe. One of my partners stated they must have wanted a dozen balls bad. We have prize drawings and you can buy extra tickets and you get one as you enter. I quit buying them because most of the prizes I have a plethra of anyhow. But LOL I did win a dozen Soft Feels off my one ticket. Someone who knows me asked how many dozen I have now? I think it is about 7 or 8

• Like 3

Played my Wilson Staff (1976) irons with my 1979-80 TM firs generation metals. It was a hoot and I was very pleased with the Strong One 10 degree Driver. It was a windy day and it was not hard to keep the ball low. The Tour Spoon and Cleek were great as well, I should play them more.

Today’s round was virtually my lineup in 1980 and it was very satisfying. A few people remarked about my “interesting hybrids”. I will have to play them regularly now. I almost broke 80 from the white tees, not bad for an old guy.

• Like 4

On 6/15/2022 at 3:34 PM, cold_war_era_golfer said:

More Spalding action.    
These would be the 1959-1960 Synchro Dyned Pro-Models.  Thicker sole than than the 61-64 model.  Heavy with the leather grips.  Thick toplines and wider soles remind me of the late 50s Dyan-Powereds.

We had a heat index of 115.  I got off the course before it got too bad but wow! I feel like I was just complaining about a frozen March here in Illinois.  
1961 Mac Tommy Armour 3w with firing pin insert and a Spalding Cash-In to round out the bag 

308DE871-CB1E-4E3A-8C90-B6EF96A42552.jpeg.c2611e84067ad3e404280d4faa3c4826.jpeg

LOL I think you and the Cash In are joined at the hip--- Not a bad thing.  One of my Old Man's cronies putted with one for like 40 years had a wear spot in the center of the face. LOL the shaft was about as straight as a snake where he had thrown it so many times. He would make Tommy Bolt look like a choir boy. But beat up and bent he could still putt with it about 99% of the time. He also played a set of Spalding irons similar to yours for the longest time. I think about 74 or so he did buy a steel shafted set of Executives brand new but never changed the putter. He has long since passed and last time I saw him around 94 or so he still had the Executives and the Cash In in that bag. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@No_Catchy_Nickname Beautiful clubs and golf course! Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW - FST 125 (S)

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60*  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

6 hours ago, Jiggered said:

Well done.  Thanks for making the efforts to share these videos with us.

I predict that this set-up will get further play in the near future. 😉

• Like 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

11 hours ago, Jiggered said:

Another YouTube video playing a vintage set, Slazenger Jack Nicklaus Champion this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvsMH6S1gbU

image.png.ae786112c694ffb0816abb4a0113befd.png

You were hitting those irons very well, and the 2-wood. I don't think I've seen you play the 13th before. Nasty looking hole. Does the water go all the way up the lefthand side? 

The finishing hole, which I think I have seen in previous videos, also looks pretty challenging. A long par 3, over water, with a raised green? Ouch. I bet that's ruined a few cards.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

You were hitting those irons very well, and the 2-wood. I don't think I've seen you play the 13th before. Nasty looking hole. Does the water go all the way up the lefthand side? 

The finishing hole, which I think I have seen in previous videos, also looks pretty challenging. A long par 3, over water, with a raised green? Ouch. I bet that's ruined a few cards.

There are two pools on the left of the 13th, the first needs a carry of a little over 180 yards (which is why my tee shots tend to err down the right!) and the second starts about 100 yards from the green.  Here's the overhead view, the carry measurement shown is 175 metres or 191 yards.

image.png.d8fd8fa4ddd7d21a08e3f4024811b1a7.png

The 18th is a killer, especially for higher handicap golfers and shorter hitters. Quite a few of the seniors and ladies play to the right of the pond and then wedge on.

I've ruined many a good card there!

Edited by Jiggered
  • Like 3

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

1 hour ago, Jiggered said:

There are two pools on the left of the 13th, the first needs a carry of a little over 180 yards (which is why my tee shots tend to err down the right!) and the second starts about 100 yards from the green.  Here's the overhead view, the carry measurement shown is 175 metres or 191 yards.

The 18th is a killer, especially for higher handicap golfers and shorter hitters. Quite a few of the seniors and ladies play to the right of the pond and then wedge on.

From the aerial view, that 13th looks like a pretty interesting hole. Lay up left side for better access to the green, but that brings the water into play more on the tee shot. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

From the aerial view, that 13th looks like a pretty interesting hole. Lay up left side for better access to the green, but that brings the water into play more on the tee shot. 

Exactly, decent players with modern gear will usually hit a fairway wood or hybrid right where you're saying and open up the green, I usually end up having to go over a bank of deep rough and the bunker.....

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jiggered said:

Exactly, decent players with modern gear will usually hit a fairway wood or hybrid right where you're saying and open up the green, I usually end up having to go over a bank of deep rough and the bunker.....

That's the fun of persimmon, isn't it? With modern gear, that 180-yard carry is nothing to worry about (a gap wedge for most WRXers, I'm sure🤣), but with persimmon, it requires a little more thought. I'd probably aim to hit a 3w fade starting left side and ending up right side...which means I'd slice one into the right rough, and occasionally pull one into the water left just so I can't be accused of being too predictable.

I noticed you only played the 2-wood with the Nicklaus Slazengers. When I play persimmons, a 3w or 4w is my tee shot crutch. I honestly could not imagine having to rely solely on my driver or 2w. That said, you were hitting that 2w very well. I've a couple of 2-woods. Perhaps I should take them out a bit more often and show them some more love.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jiggered said:

Your 13th and 18th are very similar to the 3rd and the 9th at my course.  Similar set-ups with similar challenges and similar results.  Our par 3 9th is particularly brutal and has ruined many a scorecard.  As with your 18th, many folks play it as a lay-up and wedge, then hoping for a two putt bogie.

• Like 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

10 hours ago, scomac2002 said:

Your 13th and 18th are very similar to the 3rd and the 9th at my course.  Similar set-ups with similar challenges and similar results.  Our par 3 9th is particularly brutal and has ruined many a scorecard.  As with your 18th, many folks play it as a lay-up and wedge, then hoping for a two putt bogie.

Yes indeed, many's the time I wish I'd followed that approach after dumping one in the water......

• Like 1