Rounds with a Vintage Bag

33 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Playing persimmon on a water-logged course is just tough all round. Playing persimmon on dry courses, I can just about keep up with my friend when he's hitting his modern stuff, but that's only because I get lots more roll-out.

Soggy course = no  rollout = hard work with wooden clubs

The other day, I hit a decent drive low into the left rough, and it stopped after a bounce or two. He nailed one down the fairway and was nearly 100 yards ahead of me. On another hole, we both hit down the middle and ended up in about the same spot, even though he clearly carried his further.

I like it when it is tough makes me knuckle down and think. I only played 9 yesterday. One of the guys made the comment "only 9 today Stuey?" I told him yeah I had beat myself up pretty bad both physically and mentally but had fun. He looked at my bag and said "OMG I guess you did with the wood woods" Normally the score does matter to me but i felt pretty good with that +4 in those conditions. 

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

15 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I like it when it is tough makes me knuckle down and think. I only played 9 yesterday. One of the guys made the comment "only 9 today Stuey?" I told him yeah I had beat myself up pretty bad both physically and mentally but had fun. He looked at my bag and said "OMG I guess you did with the wood woods" Normally the score does matter to me but i felt pretty good with that +4 in those conditions. 

Yep, 4 over in those conditions IS good.

I find on days when it is wet that playing one tee forward makes sense. It is second nature for me to change up the tee blocks since I play hickory and classic so much.

It has been a strange week for me, I played the same clubs for four days in a row. A group of us were on a hickory tour and I had twelve hickory sets in the car for new people to try them. I stuck with a mixed set of Stewarts and Jack White irons as they are like a playing museum. Two of the rounds were at courses that are over 100 years old and we were treated like rock stars. 

Today, I will be back to my 1976 Wilson Staffs, not sure which woods yet. Tomorrow will also be a classic day before returning to hickory on Hickory Friday. Just another fun vintage week.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hickory4ever said:

I find on days when it is wet that playing one tee forward makes sense. It is second nature for me to change up the tee blocks since I play hickory and classic so much.

It has been a strange week for me, I played the same clubs for four days in a row. A group of us were on a hickory tour and I had twelve hickory sets in the car for new people to try them. I stuck with a mixed set of Stewarts and Jack White irons as they are like a playing museum. Two of the rounds were at courses that are over 100 years old and we were treated like rock stars. 

Today, I will be back to my 1976 Wilson Staffs, not sure which woods yet. Tomorrow will also be a classic day before returning to hickory on Hickory Friday. Just another fun vintage week.

LOL I was already up one set of tees from the normal and there is maybe 2 club lengths difference between the Green Super Senior tees to the ladies red tees. 

Today was not really good. I can not swing those old Macs like before. Found myself forcing myself too much. I did hit the 2 wood a couple of shots but had trouble elevating it too. Had a couple of good moments though. I did birdie our Par 3 6 th hole knocked in a 20 footer and on the next hole a Par 4 darn near jarred the 3rd shot easy par. Even though it was still wet and as bad as I hit the woods I did salvage a +5 for that 9 holes. 

• Like 1

Ping Eye 2s getting the call for tomorrow’s dew sweeper adventure.  I just put a set of the first gen Arccos sensors on them to track actual yardages.  Should be interesting to compare to the Mizuno 223s.

Edited by SnowbirdTom
  • Like 3

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Taylormade MG4 52/56 wedges

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

Did not get to do my Dew Sweeper round yesterday had a regular checkup scheduled with my Doc who is a golf bud but he has not played much in the last 2 years. Went pretty decent except even with the meds my BP was high. Found out the reason I have been taking too much Iboprofen. He has never gotten animated on stuff with me but he jumped sky high over my consumption of the stuff. He now has me on Tylenol. This is unusual for us but he has me coming back in 6 weeks usually it is 6 months or a year. He is impressed I am playing so much golf and having fun. Does not look positive for today for golf. A lot of rain supposed to move in this morning.

I have thrown together a neat set I have been wanting to try for a while and frankly forgot about. I have had a set of 2000 2001 Aussie blades I found on the pile some time back. Look like they have never been hit R-300U shafts so i think I can hit them ok. The only drawback is the 9 iron is missing but since I have the Eye 2 PW I bent the Aussie PW 2* strong so I should be ok or I can invent something with the 8 iron. I threw my beloved Slugger back in since it is graphite and easier on me. I also threw in a nice looking Auld Classic 4 wood that I also salvaged some time back and have never tried. Even though the Aussies have a 2 iron I also threw in a Eye2 1 iron I can still hit some and am quite fond of too. And also for the consistent kicks and giggles factor the Zing BECU lob stays in. I have actually gotten quite good with that thing and it is an outright blast with a Balata ball. I think it and the MGBR Ping Zing putter are in to stay in the vintage bag. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Did not get to do my Dew Sweeper round yesterday had a regular checkup scheduled with my Doc who is a golf bud but he has not played much in the last 2 years. Went pretty decent except even with the meds my BP was high. Found out the reason I have been taking too much Iboprofen. He has never gotten animated on stuff with me but he jumped sky high over my consumption of the stuff. He now has me on Tylenol. This is unusual for us but he has me coming back in 6 weeks usually it is 6 months or a year. He is impressed I am playing so much golf and having fun. Does not look positive for today for golf. A lot of rain supposed to move in this morning.

I have thrown together a neat set I have been wanting to try for a while and frankly forgot about. I have had a set of 2000 2001 Aussie blades I found on the pile some time back. Look like they have never been hit R-300U shafts so i think I can hit them ok. The only drawback is the 9 iron is missing but since I have the Eye 2 PW I bent the Aussie PW 2* strong so I should be ok or I can invent something with the 8 iron. I threw my beloved Slugger back in since it is graphite and easier on me. I also threw in a nice looking Auld Classic 4 wood that I also salvaged some time back and have never tried. Even though the Aussies have a 2 iron I also threw in a Eye2 1 iron I can still hit some and am quite fond of too. And also for the consistent kicks and giggles factor the Zing BECU lob stays in. I have actually gotten quite good with that thing and it is an outright blast with a Balata ball. I think it and the MGBR Ping Zing putter are in to stay in the vintage bag. 

man I played a real dew sweeper last Sunday, combined with the fact they don’t mow this course on Sunday morning and a midnight thunderstorm= worst putting round of my life 

I felt bad for the poor old a4, I was having to stick a tee in the ground to keep the grip off the soaking wet grass all day when chipping 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MachineHack said:

man I played a real dew sweeper last Sunday, combined with the fact they don’t mow this course on Sunday morning and a midnight thunderstorm= worst putting round of my life 

I felt bad for the poor old a4, I was having to stick a tee in the ground to keep the grip off the soaking wet grass all day when chipping 

I ran into a round like that Tuesday un cut wet grass and I was playing Persimmon too. Now I have to ride still can not walk much because of my back and it was CPO. As SOP I carry 3 towels one wet waffle towel for cleaning clubs , one smaller Terry cloth for drying grips etc and a bath sized terry cloth to lay down for my wedges etc when needed. If it is real humid I carry a 4th bath sized to dry me and my hands on. I have a bunch of towels because around here I get them in bulk like 20 for $5 or so from the thrifts and I have won a bunch of Waffle ones in events and door prize drawings at my club. They get dirty or smelly I throw them in a 5 gal bucket in the shop and when I get low I go to a laundrymat down the street and wash them. I will not wash them in my home machine. Since it is raining today will be a good day for me to do them

• Like 1

Apparently, we got rain last night because the fairways and greens were sloppy wet to start.  Ended up shooting 84 on a par 72 with two birdies.  One should have been an eagle chip in from just off the green, as it rattled the stick and lipped out to a foot.  As the day progressed the fairways went rock hard.

Driver averaged 220 with three exceeding 240 as needed. Several were shorter due to layup distances.

Cut the corner on my favorite short par 4 for one of the birdies.

And my playing partner just called to inform me he has Covid.  🙄

• Like 1

TM Spider GT-X putter

16 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I ran into a round like that Tuesday un cut wet grass and I was playing Persimmon too. Now I have to ride still can not walk much because of my back and it was CPO. As SOP I carry 3 towels one wet waffle towel for cleaning clubs , one smaller Terry cloth for drying grips etc and a bath sized terry cloth to lay down for my wedges etc when needed.

I have a bunch of towels because around here I get them in bulk like 20 for $5 or so from the thrifts and I have won a bunch of Waffle ones in events and door prize drawings at my club. They get dirty or smelly I throw them in a 5 gal bucket in the shop and when I get low I go to a laundrymat down the street and wash them. I will not wash them in my home machine. Since it is raining today will be a good day for me to do them

It gets really hot and humid here in the summer months, which means keeping my hands dry is a battle. I carry a damp cloth to wipe my hands on (works better than a dry cloth), and also bring lots and lots of gloves. In my last round on Monday, I went through 7 gloves. By the end of the round, I was practically switching gloves on every hole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

It gets really hot and humid here in the summer months, which means keeping my hands dry is a battle. I carry a damp cloth to wipe my hands on (works better than a dry cloth), and also bring lots and lots of gloves. In my last round on Monday, I went through 7 gloves. By the end of the round, I was practically switching gloves on every hole.

I am about the same rotate out like 4 or 5 per round plus I wear sweat bands on my wrists like tennis players wear.

• Like 1

Don't want wet slippery hands when it's hot; don't wear a golf glove! 

I wear glove(s) when it's cold out to keep my hands warm, not when it's hot.

• Like 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

3 hours ago, scomac2002 said:

Don't want wet slippery hands when it's hot; don't wear a golf glove! 

I wear glove(s) when it's cold out to keep my hands warm, not when it's hot.

That got me thinking. I remembered that when I was younger, I didn't play with a glove. In fact, I only wore one occasionally if I was practising a lot to prevent blisters--and I wasn't always successful in this endeavour. 

I'm playing nine holes this afternoon; think I might as well give it a go without a glove. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 3:15 AM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Temperature and humidity are not an issue here in Scotland.... The only time my palms sweat playing golf is with a wedge in hand with under 50 yards to the flag but my involuntary reaction is to grip the thing so darned tight there is no way its going to slip! Yip! I never wear a glove! 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Foozle said:

Temperature and humidity are not an issue here in Scotland.... The only time my palms sweat playing golf is with a wedge in hand with under 50 yards to the flag but my involuntary reaction is to grip the thing so darned tight there is no way its going to slip! Yip! I never wear a glove! 😁

That's the thing. I don't ever remember playing golf in the north of England and thinking "it's so hot I need more gloves". But here, the humidity in summer is something else. 

Of course, I also sweat from my palms when Mrs. N_C_N finds the receipts from my golf club purchases, but that's a separate issue. Or at least that's what our marriage councillor says🤣

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Of course, I also sweat from my palms when Mrs. N_C_N finds the receipts from my golf club purchases, but that's a separate issue. Or at least that's what our marriage councillor says

You need to work on that.  I have my own CC so no need for DW finding any incriminating receipts.  Cash is also good.  Mind you, the arrival of long narrow boxes via courier has outed me on several occasions... 😏

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

12 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I got out for 9 holes today with my daughter and brother-in-law for his "course debut" as they call it here. He played pretty well considering he only took up the game three months ago, managing to not only break 60 but also make a proper par and a three-putt bogey (impressive on in regulation).

I took out probably my best-looking driver, a Mizuno Craft Model 951, with a nice Mizuno MS-1 4w that I like and a Mizuno 5W that I normally like. I also took along a rather mysterious Mizuno driver I bought a few years ago to try out. There's no model stamp on it, but it's a solid block of wood with no back weighting and a pretty stout shaft. 

The Mizuno Craft is a fantastic driver to hit. Feels great, long, and good ball flight. Nice to know it not only looks good, but is a Player too. The other driver was also pretty good. Not as easy to hit as the Craft Model, but still a fine club. A keeper, which was what I wanted to check.

Irons were Maxfli Australian Blades designed by Tad Moore, with a RAM SW and Ping Anser 5 long-neck putter to complete the set. Now, I bought these irons a few years ago, but when I took them to the range to try, I got a case of the shanks, so I have never put them into play until today. In fact, I was going to sell them, but decided to give them one more try, so I put them in the bag a few days ago and took them to the range.

Well, I'm glad I played them, and I can also report that they are off the chopping block and in the rotation. These are superb irons, like precision instruments. First hole was a 380 dogleg right playing into the breeze. a good 4w off the tee left about 145, and I hit a nice smooth 8i to about 12~15 ft right over the pin. Second hole was a par 5, and I went with a 4w off the tee to stay out of trouble, then laid up with a beautiful 5i right down the middle of a tight fairway. A good SW from 90 yards to a back pain set up another birdie chance, which I unfortunately missed. 

And so it went on. These were just great irons to hit. Unfortunately hit one a little too far on a layup on the last hole, a par 5, and ended up in the pond in front of the green, but that was partly because I miscalculated the distance to the front of the pond. Hit a good SW in to give me a chance of par, but the putt slid by. The SW is a regular in my persimmon bag, and a great club.

Anyway, that water ball and an OB off the tee with the 5w hurt my score, and I ended up with a 41.

One final thing. I tried going gloveless, but the humidity is so high here that my palms sweat, and I couldn't get a decent grip, so I soon switched back to wearing a glove. 4 gloves for 9 holes.

Birdie chance on first hole:

1442806947_Birdiechancefirsthole.jpg.6e56ebbeda952a5ba1a8e9b22d4144c4.jpg

1340804940_WiTPBlateAug2022Fullbag.jpg.cbd9f5526cf3a816be60dfc71b85b946.jpg880960487_WiTPBlateAugustdriverfaces.jpg.4b76d05767c1fa888b3907761b3bfdbd.jpg559100119_WiTPBlateAug2022ironsandSW.jpg.ecc6c05fd8b94de7ce4fbe60a9c5a41e.jpg

The Aussie Blades I have set for tomorrows round ( hopefully if weather holds) are similar but not TMs. According to Ironfinder they are 00 01 models. I have never hit them so I have no idea

9 hours ago, scomac2002 said:

You need to work on that.  I have my own CC so no need for DW finding any incriminating receipts.  Cash is also good.  Mind you, the arrival of long narrow boxes via courier has outed me on several occasions... 😏

I should just remove incriminating evidence instead of leaving it lying around. But the arrival of long narrow boxes is a dead giveaway. The delivery drivers also seem to know exactly when I'm out and she's in. It's uncanny, I tell you.

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

The Aussie Blades I have set for tomorrows round ( hopefully if weather holds) are similar but not TMs. According to Ironfinder they are 00 01 models. I have never hit them so I have no idea

Well, I was really impressed with these ones. Because they're so compact, pretty much anywhere on the club face is in the sweet spot. 

Somewhat surprisingly, they are pinned.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:
18 hours ago, scomac2002 said:

I should just remove incriminating evidence instead of leaving it lying around. But the arrival of long narrow boxes is a dead giveaway. The delivery drivers also seem to know exactly when I'm out and she's in. It's uncanny, I tell you.

I find it's about 50:50.  That's not bad though as she believes my problem is only half as bad as it really is... 😏

• Haha 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Well luickly I got in a vintage MUD sweeper round in today Got in 9 holes. Those damn Aussie blades almost killed me. They are too heavy and stiff for me now. Hit a couple of good shots with the 6 and 8 irons though. Hit the Slugger great got good carry but no roll out. The sleeper though was the little Auld Classic 4 laminate 4 wood. That thing is a little pocket rocket and I can hit the prettiest little draw with it. I am anxious to hit it when the course is not so soaked. I think for tomorrow the good old VIP Mac Hogans are in the bag but the Slugger the little 4 wood Ping wedges and Zing MGBR are more or less permanant. In fact I have a guy wanting to buy the Aussie Blades. They are good clubs just too much shaft and too heavy for me these days

• Like 4

Last minute call this afternoon - took the new Wilsons out for a test spin on 9 holes at my home course.  Driver gave me fits for about 6 holes, then it clicked.  I was hitting two balls on every teebox just for the practice. Irons were even shorter than I expected and ended up stepping up two clubs on most shots until I remembered how to hit old clubs.  Ball first aggressively with a moderate grass pelt removed got me back to a one club difference.  Got the spin back on the short irons and they checked nicely on the greens.  The Wilson Professional heel shafted putter was surprisingly accurate for me, a notoriously bad putter.  Made more than I missed.  They're on the must play list for Friday's starter/marshall dew sweeper foursome.

7th hole was two well hit shots resulting in landing about 5 yards apart and 230 yards downrange in the fairway!  I was happy.  9th hole was the same.  I called it at that point after looking over at the 10th tee and seeing four sets of carts awaiting their turn on the box.  *shudder*

7th hole drives! The dirt areas are where the course is rewiring the entire sprinkler system.

8DDCEC11-6A0E-4496-A399-83627E425BDD.jpeg.2741243d8e88079ab061048b1db74aef.jpeg

• Like 4

TM Spider GT-X putter

3 hours ago, Jiggered said:

I'm playing this set tomorrow, I've had them for over 4 years ands haven't hit them once apart from the putter which I tried for 18 today.

All coated shaft apart from the 2 iron and the Blaster.

And on a course I've not played before either!

image.png.4d83fe07b2c2380dec902082b2ef6ec9.png

image.png.6f7357f38af04cf3e0fe9befcc33717a.png

image.png.286d05e91f46e171551259b206817f68.png

I hope there will be video...👍

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Last minute call this afternoon - took the new Wilsons out for a test spin on 9 holes at my home course.  Driver gave me fits for about 6 holes, then it clicked.  I was hitting two balls on every teebox just for the practice. Irons were even shorter than I expected and ended up stepping up two clubs on most shots until I remembered how to hit old clubs.  Ball first aggressively with a moderate grass pelt removed got me back to a one club difference.  Got the spin back on the short irons and they checked nicely on the greens.  The Wilson Professional heel shafted putter was surprisingly accurate for me, a notoriously bad putter.  Made more than I missed.  They're on the must play list for Friday's starter/marshall dew sweeper foursome.

7th hole was two well hit shots resulting in landing about 5 yards apart and 230 yards downrange in the fairway!  I was happy.  9th hole was the same.  I called it at that point after looking over at the 10th tee and seeing four sets of carts awaiting their turn on the box.  *shudder*

7th hole drives! The dirt areas are where the course is rewiring the entire sprinkler system.

8DDCEC11-6A0E-4496-A399-83627E425BDD.jpeg.2741243d8e88079ab061048b1db74aef.jpeg

Love it man yep sometimes you have to get the swing dialed in for the older stuff. Someone questioned me the other day about me playing vintage most of the week and then playing the shootout with the moderns. Since I have changed my swing I basically use the same swing with my metal woods as I do the real lumber. In all honesty my signature set the irons are not modern and when I play vintage most of the time I have Macs in the bag and all of my Macs the lofts and lies are to spec. I sat down and thought of things yesterday and decided to put my VIPs in the vintage bag for a while. Does several things for me. Vintage rounds are always a kicks and giggles thing for me anyhow and it gives me exercize and practice. I have even went to the same style putter in both with the Ping Zings. I also keep my real fun factor with the Ping Wedges and the addition of the Niblick.

I sorta experienced the same as you yesterday As I came up 9 I saw players stacked up on #10. I did not do my cut through yesterday at the "crossroads" Usually on my dew sweeper rounds I play 1 thru 7 and then 13 thru 18. Frankly by not being out the last 4 days and the combo of CPO only I was tired plus like I said the Aussie blades kicked my butt. Lately we have had a surge of tourist golfers due to our cheaper rates. Next week will be somewhat crowded if the weather holds up. The World Am will be in town. Our course will not be participating in it but we will have call ins for play from courses shut down due to the Tournaments. I know one of the out of towners asked yesterday and one of the owners told them with our combined membership and walk ons we lost money hosting the World Am events so we do not any longer participate. Plan on being out this AM at 6:45 or so

• 2 weeks later...

I went out at Walden Country Club after work today, played 9 at about 3100 yards. I had been working in downtown DC and we've had a bunch of vehicle thefts there so I only brought a few clubs that I could hide behind the seat of my regular cab pickup.

I went out with a Louisville golf Niblick 5 wood, Wilson Gooseneck 4/6/8 blade irons, and a Anser style knockoff putter. Walked the course with one of those pitch and putt bags.

I shot a 46, 5 single bogeys, a par, and 3 doubles. 1 double due to penalty. Poor putting day..greens were aerated and covered in sand this morning so I'll blame some of the putting woes on that. I thought sand slowed things down but putts and chips seemed to be rolling further for some reason..also they took some odd turns I guess due to holes or sand.

My putting was rough, I didn't make anything longer than 5 feet and blew a few good par chances. I also had to take a penalty on the last hole which required about a 195 yard water carry as disaster struck on the previous 8th hole. I noticed my drive on 8 was struck well but didn't go as far as I expected,  I decided to take another tee shot as there was no one behind me. On this one my clubhead went immediately flying off on contact...I hadn't hit the ground or shanked so I'm not sure what happened. I was able to recover the clubhead. Luckily the original drive was playable and I managed to par the hole. I was not able to make the 195 carry over water happen with the 4 iron on the last hole so had to take a penalty and drop leading to a double on the hole.

• Like 1

Nike Titanium Forged Driver

Louisville Golf 3 & 5 Woods

Ping Eye 2 green dot  3 iron to Sand Wedge

Ping Anser