Rounds with a Vintage Bag

I played 18 yesterday for what I thought would be the last persimmon round of the year, but I want revenge, so I might have to go again.

I put the full set of Mac R1W woods into play, 1, 3, 4, 5 (though I suspect a real full set would have included a 2w) along with Mizuno MS1 irons (3~SW), and a Ping BeNi Anser putter.

2069617891_WiTPB2022lateNov3woods.jpg.87f45ec44267ceba631485a7c5e65142.jpg2044001013_WiTPB2022lateNov2MS1irons.jpg.49c5a17a20e4540a4e620e9d9f4fd1b6.jpg1248269372_WiTPB2022lateNov1MS1irons.jpg.1c6b633071dfbe86e1729f45c0aea0d0.jpg

It was a pretty good day, about 18 degrees C, or low 60s in Fahrenheit, with enough of a breeze to make you think about club selection, but not enough to carry the ball away.

I started off well, but I have been struggling with a muscle injury in my right side, so was only able to turn about 70% on the backswing. On the front nine, I got by, but it really started hurting on the back nine. That, coupled with slow play on the course (it took us over 6 hours to finish the round; we were waiting on almost every hole for two groups ahead of us), led to a poor back nine, and I went 40-43 for an 83.

OK, putting was horrendous as well. 37 putts, and I missed a lot. Worst was a 4ft birdie putt after a beautiful splash from a greenside bunker on a par 5. That pi**ed me off as the bunker shot almost holed out for an eagle.

Big surprise was the MS-1 SW. I've posted before on here about how the Japanese sand wedges from this period are a bit funky, but after adjusting the lie and loft a little on this SW, I found it much better, especially off tight lies.

The Mac woods were good, although my swing didn't hold up for them. The driver's been the best find this year, as I had never put it into play before. The fairways I've hit before and liked, so no surprises there, but the best shot was with a 5w on the last. After a poor driver tee shot (painful!), I was 210 from the pin and 200 from the green edge, ball in the rough, and hitting from a hanging lie. I took the 5w, thinking I'd lay up and chip on, and nailed the shot. In the gloaming, I went up and found my ball on the front of the green.

Fortunately, I three-putted for a smooth bogey.

446657679_higashi3rdNov2022.jpg.ed497449b9534a32c24f74a59c8b685a.jpg17549542_Viewfromthe6th.jpg.f1a3e44edd26487a0abf0f9df9538818.jpg

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Foozle said:

First winter round today. Galloped round in about 2.5 hours before the light went.

Short set with my persimmons now in hibernation with several in the queue for a winter refinish.20221119_142748.jpg.99f71d461a3eb8beffcd2f855daf77ab.jpg

TM Burner Plus, Ping Eye 2 1 iron, Ram Tour Grind 3,5,7,9 & PW, Wilson R20 and Ping Cushin.

The Burner + was a mistake! Thought I had pulled my Tour Spoon off the rack - that is my usual winter go to as a versatile single wood to carry. Surprised myself when I took the cover off on the first tee and found the Burner + not least as i only had 1" tees!

Played well with 11 pars and 7 bogies. Four good looks at birdie from around 10' with 0% conversion rate and 3 long range birdie attempts resulting in 3 of the bogies!

Easy to feel you have left a few out there but we are always guilty of remembering when the golf gods take away and forgetting the rare occasion when they give back. Today they gave back when I holed a tricky pitch back after air mailing the green from a greenside bunker to save par.

All in all probably a very fair score but just good enjoying the walk in unseasonably mild weather carrying a short set.

I'm thinking of getting some early metalwoods for winter golf. I'm not sure to go with a Taylormade Burner+ and similar fairways, or try out Callaway's Big Berthas. I still have my Burner+ driver back in the UK, and hit it occasionally, so I'm tempted to try something new and go for the Big Berthas, which I've never used before.

Love the BeCu 1i, by the way. Green dot is pretty rare here. Lots of Orange and Red ones, though.

• Like 1

Was thinking this morning (hence the alarm bells you may have heard in your area)...

I never actually played a retro round this past year, unless you were to count the 90s metal woods round I played at the end of the season.  On several occasions, I started to prepare the persimmons to hit the course, but never actually did so.

And I feel I missed something.

My plan now is to hit them a few times over the winter, at the local simulator/launch monitor setup I discovered last off-season, in preparation to play them a bit more often next year.  Or, a lot more often next year.

• Like 4

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I snagged the first tee time after frost delay and got out at 10am and give or take 30 degree weather with some decent wind, nice and sunny though.

Walked 18 holes at Walden with the Wilson FG17 half set, Wilson Staff utility 4 , a Gooseneck 3 blade iron , and a not quite vintage but 20 some year old Titleist 905 driver.  The driver couldn’t be used on the first 9 , wind was way too strong, Put it in play a 4  times on the back, it’s a  9.5 loft with a stiff shaft so it plays with a nice trajectory since I can balloon 10.5 drivers easily.

The 3 iron worked well and got me in play. I shot an 87 for the day when I was getting little rollout and fighting a head wind on several holes. The FG17 irons are fantastic for chipping and bump and runs, they continue to impress. With the pitching wedge at 51 degrees I don’t feel like I need to carry another wedge.

Nike Titanium Forged Driver

Louisville Golf 3 & 5 Woods

Ping Eye 2 green dot  3 iron to Sand Wedge

Ping Anser 

On 11/19/2022 at 8:06 AM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I played 18 yesterday for what I thought would be the last persimmon round of the year, but I want revenge, so I might have to go again.

I put the full set of Mac R1W woods into play, 1, 3, 4, 5 (though I suspect a real full set would have included a 2w) along with Mizuno MS1 irons (3~SW), and a Ping BeNi Anser putter.

2069617891_WiTPB2022lateNov3woods.jpg.87f45ec44267ceba631485a7c5e65142.jpg2044001013_WiTPB2022lateNov2MS1irons.jpg.49c5a17a20e4540a4e620e9d9f4fd1b6.jpg1248269372_WiTPB2022lateNov1MS1irons.jpg.1c6b633071dfbe86e1729f45c0aea0d0.jpg

It was a pretty good day, about 18 degrees C, or low 60s in Fahrenheit, with enough of a breeze to make you think about club selection, but not enough to carry the ball away.

I started off well, but I have been struggling with a muscle injury in my right side, so was only able to turn about 70% on the backswing. On the front nine, I got by, but it really started hurting on the back nine. That, coupled with slow play on the course (it took us over 6 hours to finish the round; we were waiting on almost every hole for two groups ahead of us), led to a poor back nine, and I went 40-43 for an 83.

OK, putting was horrendous as well. 37 putts, and I missed a lot. Worst was a 4ft birdie putt after a beautiful splash from a greenside bunker on a par 5. That pi**ed me off as the bunker shot almost holed out for an eagle.

Big surprise was the MS-1 SW. I've posted before on here about how the Japanese sand wedges from this period are a bit funky, but after adjusting the lie and loft a little on this SW, I found it much better, especially off tight lies.

The Mac woods were good, although my swing didn't hold up for them. The driver's been the best find this year, as I had never put it into play before. The fairways I've hit before and liked, so no surprises there, but the best shot was with a 5w on the last. After a poor driver tee shot (painful!), I was 210 from the pin and 200 from the green edge, ball in the rough, and hitting from a hanging lie. I took the 5w, thinking I'd lay up and chip on, and nailed the shot. In the gloaming, I went up and found my ball on the front of the green.

Fortunately, I three-putted for a smooth bogey.

446657679_higashi3rdNov2022.jpg.ed497449b9534a32c24f74a59c8b685a.jpg17549542_Viewfromthe6th.jpg.f1a3e44edd26487a0abf0f9df9538818.jpg

You know I’ve always wondered what the gapping was between 2wd,3wd,4wd, and 5wd were. Seems crazy carrying that many woods with distances that close together. Of course the vintage buys scratch their heads about carrying 4 wedges…. Lol

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Me too, and this was actually the first time I've ever played all four woods together.

My conclusion is that there is not much of a gap between the 4w and 5w, at least off the deck. I didn't hit either off the tee, so I can't make a comparison there.

Normally, I either go Driver-3w-5w or Driver-4w. Either works for me, and with the latter, I can add a 2i for a giggle. 

I certainly didn't see any need for 3-4-5 woods together. When I was a Junior, Driver-3w-5w was the most common set up. Some had Driver-4w, and a few had Driver-3w-1i/2i, but I don't recall ever seeing anyone with Driver-3w-4w-5w. Woods were usually sold in Driver-3w-5w sets as well.

Mid/late Eighties, for reference.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

@cold_war_era_golfer I’ve had my best in play off the tee luck with a 60’s Wilson Staff strata-bloc 4 wood for what it’s worth. If I could just get my ball flight a little lower with it I’d use it even more off the tee. 

The shaft is labeled S but even though I don’t normally hit stiff shaft on anything but my modern driver I seem to hit it as well as any of wooden fairways. 

I find the blade steel shaft 3 iron is an effective tee club on any hole less than 330-350 yards. Rarely out of play , the worst result is usually short. 

Ping Anser 

Played the December Stableford with a Harold Bird & Son 1 wood, MacGregor VIP 3 wood, Mizuno TP-9 3 to SW and a John Letters Golden Goose putter.

Only managed 1 GIR but must have chipped and putted well as I only took 29 putts.

88 gross for 34 points off 95% handicap which surprisingly had me in fourth place in division 2 and might get me a very small handicap cut.

• Like 4

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

2 hours ago, chazpet said:

Forgot to post last weekend, went out for a quick 9 and shot 45 despite a triple and a double… just need to limit mistakes! Taking the blades out again today with the 2 iron in the bag, really getting cold here in the northeast.

96CB01B2-61D8-43AA-9654-290F50B2DFBF.jpeg

2878007A-A943-4A72-920E-CEC0603E4113.jpeg

Whereabouts?

Played 18 today with the blades at a course I’ve been playing for years, and I’m happy to report I shot 42/47 for 89! Despite my best efforts to blow it with a double & triple bogey finish… had a pretty good ball striking day otherwise. A little more consistency off the tee to eliminate the big number is the off-season mission.

Cobra F9 driver

975F 14.5 with s300

Wilson Staff Tour Model 2i-9i

Vokey 50, 54, 60

Scotty Mil-Spec

F0E535D6-FA5F-486A-A97B-472F59EF9CC4.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chazpet said:

Hilarious how oversized that 975F looks in comparison to the Muirfield. Guessing maybe a little fish eye camera lens effect going on cuz Titleist fairways are usually beautifully small. My old 910F was anyways. I’m very envious. Thanks for the visual therapy and giving us northerner’s something to look forward too. Only 1 month into our winter hibernation here in Minnesota with 3.5 minimum to go. Ugggggg

Love the Pro Platinum Scotty, I have one also. Old are better than new in Scotty’s also. 

Edited by ezgoer
  • Like 1

@chazpetDo you hit that 975 off the fairway much? I bought one with a s300 at 13.5 loft and it is a nice controlled shot off the tee but having no success off the deck.

Pulled the s300 and thinking of putting a Dynalite r300 or other alternative in.

Ping Anser 

1 hour ago, DCCarpenter said:

@chazpetDo you hit that 975 off the fairway much? I bought one with a s300 at 13.5 loft and it is a nice controlled shot off the tee but having no success off the deck.

Pulled the s300 and thinking of putting a Dynalite r300 or other alternative in.

I find that hitting any fairway with that kind of loft is going to be highly dependent on the lie. For me it is my TM Tour Spoon (13*), the lie has to be perfect. They are very good clubs off the tee provided the shaft flex is right.

• Like 2

@ezgoer love the Pro Platinum, just a great overall putter! Added the Sugarloaf cord grip and it’s a great replacement for the old Titleist cords that are so elusive. Quick size comparison for the Muirfield 1 wood and 975F for you below, a bit of depth perception tricks in that original photo.

@DCCarpenter I do, have to have a smooth transition or I get punished, I tend to get quick and the s300’s weight helps a bit in slowing that up.

6B4D7B41-38C1-4ABC-B14C-9E3ED67B440D.jpeg

4106C2D6-6BC9-4816-8CF3-930DF39A1382.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hickory4ever said:

I find that hitting any fairway with that kind of loft is going to be highly dependent on the lie. For me it is my TM Tour Spoon (13*), the lie has to be perfect. They are very good clubs off the tee provided the shaft flex is right.

I agree. For me, hitting any fairway wood with a loft under about 18* is both lie dependent and carry dependent, meaning that any shot that requires lots of carry over water or some such obstacle is too risky. 

That's with both modern and persimmon woods. With my modern set, I use a 7w when I need to carry the ball, and with persimmon, I use either a 5w or 4w, and even then with some of the 4-woods I can only manage a low bullet unless the lie is very good.

• Like 1

Also I suspect the Titleist fairway woods aren’t necessarily known for their forgiveness. Probably why better players gravitate towards them. I had an adjustable 15 degree Titleist 910F with the stiff factory shaft in it and didn’t get along with it well. Even set to max loft was still hard to get any height out of it. Maybe I should have experimented with softer shafts idk?? Sure more “ Indian than arrow “ here but nun the less there is others I get along with much better. Sad cuz behind the ball not many clubs looked better period. 

Edited by ezgoer

18 minutes ago, ezgoer said:

Also I suspect the Titleist fairway woods aren’t necessarily known for their forgiveness. Probably why better players gravitate towards them. I had an adjustable 15 degree Titleist 910F with the stiff factory shaft in it and didn’t get along with it well. Even set to max loft was still hard to get any height out of it. Maybe I should have experimented with softer shafts idk?? Sure more “ Indian than arrow “ here but nun the less there is others I get along with much better. Sad cuz behind the ball not many clubs looked better period. 

I wouldn't give up yet. To me, "looks good behind the ball" equates to "I think I can hit this thing". And if it's adjustable, so easy to slap another shaft in there. Maybe here something a little tip soft like a white tie? 

I tend towards taylormade wood heads myself so I have a bunch (too many) of odd shafts with taylormade adapters laying around. Maybe it's time for you to expand your titleist adapter shaft collection!

On 12/11/2022 at 9:59 PM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I agree. For me, hitting any fairway wood with a loft under about 18* is both lie dependent and carry dependent, meaning that any shot that requires lots of carry over water or some such obstacle is too risky. 

That's with both modern and persimmon woods. With my modern set, I use a 7w when I need to carry the ball, and with persimmon, I use either a 5w or 4w, and even then with some of the 4-woods I can only manage a low bullet unless the lie is very good.

I am exactly the same way both somewhat modern and vintage. My vintage stuff I found a laminate Auld Classic 4 wood shaft unknown that I can elevate fairly easy. I also carry a Mac Louise Suggs 6 wood original shaft and grip I can elevate quite easy and hit about 160 or so about like my somewhat modern TM V Steel 7 wood.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

On 12/10/2022 at 11:32 PM, ezgoer said:

Hilarious how oversized that 975F looks in comparison to the Muirfield. Guessing maybe a little fish eye camera lens effect going on cuz Titleist fairways are usually beautifully small. My old 910F was anyways. I’m very envious. Thanks for the visual therapy and giving us northerner’s something to look forward too. Only 1 month into our winter hibernation here in Minnesota with 3.5 minimum to go. Ugggggg

Love the Pro Platinum Scotty, I have one also. Old are better than new in Scotty’s also. 

Agree with that last line 110%. One of the reasons that rusty lead taped 1997 Santa Fe is in the main bag

On 12/11/2022 at 8:32 AM, Hickory4ever said:

Right now our fairways are sparse and tight. They did not overseed the fairways. LOL in the Saturday Shootouts where any and everything goes people are foot jacking lies. Hey when in Rome do as the Romans. I have a 14* Tour Head Cally Razr I set up for me a while back with a Fuji shaft. Normally I can hit it high on a good lie. Right now though we have too tight of a lie without jacking it up. I think Saturday I jacked maybe one up and hit it fine. On my regular rounds by myself or with others I still play it down and there have been numerous cases where I had to hit the 7 wood to carry a hazard just for the height off a extremely tight lie.

Last Wednesday I played vintage and used the 2 iron quite a bit. Kinda a nasty head high cut but it is fun. On the 2 holes both Par 5s that the second shot requires carrying over a hazard it is a moot point for me this time of the year anyhow with Persimmon so I laid it up on both. I do not care about the score playing vintage anyhow. Right now it is cold for us and damp and it plays havoc with my back so I have stayed in since Saturday golf wise. I do stay loose in my yard hitting whiffle balls with a wedge and using the Skilz Ball trainer. 

• Like 3

I need at least 20* of loft to elevate anything off the deck now when playing it down.  Only time a 3 or 4 wood gets thrown in the bag is when I play in a scramble and can manufacture a perfect lie.

• Like 1

TEE C721 10.5 Ventus Red 5R (with 10g lead tape under the stripes)

Adams Idea Pro 20, 23, 26 Aldila VS Proto 80S

MP32 6-PW DGR300, +1"

MP223 GW DGS200, +1"

Cleveland 588 RTG TA 51 DG wedge flex

Vokey 256.12 DG wedge flex

1969 Ping Anser 85029 34" long step

golf..."can't be mastered, can only be played"

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Right now our fairways are sparse and tight. They did not overseed the fairways. LOL in the Saturday Shootouts where any and everything goes people are foot jacking lies. Hey when in Rome do as the Romans. I have a 14* Tour Head Cally Razr I set up for me a while back with a Fuji shaft. Normally I can hit it high on a good lie. Right now though we have too tight of a lie without jacking it up. I think Saturday I jacked maybe one up and hit it fine. On my regular rounds by myself or with others I still play it down and there have been numerous cases where I had to hit the 7 wood to carry a hazard just for the height off a extremely tight lie.

Last Wednesday I played vintage and used the 2 iron quite a bit. Kinda a nasty head high cut but it is fun. On the 2 holes both Par 5s that the second shot requires carrying over a hazard it is a moot point for me this time of the year anyhow with Persimmon so I laid it up on both. I do not care about the score playing vintage anyhow. Right now it is cold for us and damp and it plays havoc with my back so I have stayed in since Saturday golf wise. I do stay loose in my yard hitting whiffle balls with a wedge and using the Skilz Ball trainer. 

I find on really tight lies, a no pun intended Adams 16* Tight Lies works really well. I also have no problem with my old TM Tour Cleek or Raylor given they have a couple rails.

I have not played since last Thursday and the weather does not look good for the foreseeable future. We have snow on the ground and more expected Thursday. If I can’t play another round in 2022, I finished on a good note with a 74.

Edited by Hickory4ever
  • Like 1