Hogan Apex "Legacy" Set

I've been toying with the idea (inspired by @CUBuffaloes Frankenstein Set) of building a "legacy" set of Ben Hogan Apex irons, where each iron is from a different release through the Golden Age of the Apex run.  I suspect this is going to take a lot of time and patience and acknowledge it may never actually be pulled off to completion, but I reckon I'll have fun with it either way.  I've never had the fortune of owning a set of Apex irons and I want them all, so I thought this would be a less expensive way for me to enjoy them all and make it more about the journey than the destination.

I've done a fair bit of research on the various Apex iterations and feel like I have enough general knowledge to start cracking.  I'd like to use this thread to document my progress and get help/suggestions along the way, so I appreciate the insights of people who know more and have lived longer than I have.

Here's the setup that I'm hoping to achieve:

2 iron:  1998-9 Apex (Endo Forged) - 19*

3 iron:  1994-8 Apex Channelback - 22*

4 iron:  1993-4 Apex (FORGED red underline) - 26*

5 iron:  1990-2 Apex Grind - 30*

6 iron:  1988-9 Apex Redline - 34*

7 iron:  1987 Apex PC - 37*

8 iron:  1979-83 Apex II (either Black/White Cameo works here) - 41*

9 iron: 1973-8 Apex - 45*

EW:  1972 Apex - 51*

Couple thoughts on the process:

• I had a hard time deciding which way to go (newer 2i - older EW or older 2i - newer EW).  I feel like this way works best for playability (more forgiveness in the newer forgings), and I'm not doing this to have these irons sit around and collect dust.
  • I thought about trying to work in a 1 iron somewhere, but I don't know if the '72 Apex came with a 1 iron, so I thought I'd need to look for a newer 1 iron, which I feel like will be just as difficult to find as a really old one.  It's a longshot, and probably not going to happen.  Not like I can hit one, anyway!
  • I thought about trying to see how I could incorporate the 2000s Apexes, but feel like they lack the mystique of older versions and I didn't want to have to exclude something somewhere else, so the Apex FTX, Plus, etc. has no place here.
  • I'm going to look to get Apex 4 shafts in every iron.  I've read that the Spalding FM Apex 4s are a bit more bendy than the old AMF Apex 4s, and I think having the stiffer AMFs in the mid/short irons will work better than having them in the long irons.
  • The lofts I've included are what I think they were/are, but I'm not 100% positive and really struggled to figure out what the '72 EW is lofted at.
  • Finding a '72 EW in good shape is going to be tough, but since the lofts are weaker than today's irons anyway, it's basically a GW.  If I never find one, I won't be upset about it.
  • The Endo forged 2 iron feels like it is easily going to be the most expensive club.  I'm still happy to play a 3-9 set if it comes to it.
  • Huge question mark about what to do when it comes to woods, wedges, and putters.  Leaving that one TBD for now.
  • The last step in the process will be any necessary polishing/refurbishment, bending, and regripping.  But I'd definitely like the set to have cohesion when it's done.
  • With that in mind, I have absolutely no experience with refurbishing old clubs.  I suspect I'll need to learn a thing or two along the way.

Anyone have any suggestions or insights or things I should be aware of?  Even if it takes me 10 years, I'd love for this community to hold me to account and make sure this thing is seen through to the end.  Thanks!

Edited by Poor Mans Ty Webb
  • Like 2

Sounds like a great project. My brother is looking to put a set together with various Mizuno MP irons. I think your strategy of going newer with the long irons is a good one. Good luck 👍

• Like 2

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9* (A1) Autoflex SF505                   Frankenstein Irons:

3W - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 75 (S)                         4i - PING i210

19* Hyb - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 (S).                5i - Cobra King Tour (MIM)

Irons - 4-PW Maltby TS1 Nippon 950GH Stiff                 6i - Titleist T100

GW - Vokey SM8 50* F-grind                                           7i - Mizuno MP20 MMC

SW - Vokey SM8 54* D-grind (bent to 55)                      8i - Callaway X-Forged

LW - Vokey SM8 60* M-grind                                           9i - TaylorMade P7MC 

Putter - SeeMore PCB with LAGP SoHo                          PW - Srixon ZX-7

GW - Wilson Staff CB

2 hours ago, Swingingk said:

It's an interesting idea that's for sure.  If nothing else it sounds like a wonderful excuse to buy 9 complete sets of Hogans and just pull one from each when you want to play your legacy bag.  That would align nicely with the thought process around here, myself included.  😆

Believe you me, if I could get my wife on board with this, it would be a thing, for sure. 

• Haha 1

(with tongue planted firmly in cheek)  I like your idea but I gotta tell ya, the instant I read your idea I thought, "These hardcore WRX'ers are going to say this guy doesn't have a hair on his a** unless he puts a PC 1-iron in this set". I really think going newer and more forgiving as you go longer is the easy way out... I say mix it up a little and make it a challenge.  You gotta throw a few sets with Legend shafts in there too.  😆😆😆  (@BIG STU help me out here)

Edited by Bigarch
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

On 3/26/2022 at 10:37 PM, Bigarch said:

(with tongue planted firmly in cheek)  I like your idea but I gotta tell ya, the instant I read your idea I thought, "These hardcore WRX'ers are going to say this guy doesn't have a hair on his a** unless he puts a PC 1-iron in this set". I really think going newer and more forgiving as you go longer is the easy way out... I say mix it up a little and make it a challenge.  You gotta throw a few sets with Legend shafts in there too.  😆😆😆  (@BIG STU help me out here)

Appreciate the tongue-in-cheek feedback, this was certainly one of the tougher decisions, and I know I'm unashamedly taking the easy way out.  Maybe I'll try to build a second set that goes the other way once I finish the first one.  Unfortunately, the gapping going the other way is also a bit more of a pain in my hairless a** to figure out.

The 1 iron is really a luxury and if I ever come across one, I'll find a way to put it in the bag.  Might as well go with the most butter knifey 1 iron I can find!

Regarding the Legend shafts, I've seen a few 72s with these and I'm hesitant to jump on them, if for no other reason than that I stubbornly want consistency across the set with the Apex 4 (even though that shaft isn't necessarily consistent over the years, either).  Are there significant differences in playability between the two shafts, other than what I've heard about the Legends sending an electric shock through your body when you don't flush the shot?

Quick updates on progress so far:

•  I'm appalled at how difficult it's been to find the Grind/Redline/PC on eBay so far, given that they are some of the most available irons.  Just haven't found the right iron number & shaft combo in good condition yet.
  • The 1992-93 model is way more rare than I thought it would be.  The channel back is surprisingly more common than I thought it would be.
  • The '72 Apex equalizer and the '73 9 iron are going to probably be in pretty rough shape.  Gonna likely need to find a good refurbisher for this club.  Might need to play these in a Legend shaft instead of an Apex shaft.
  • In general, it is very difficult not to just buy full sets of each model.  Anyone who's just in the market for a set to play for fun and doesn't care about looks can find a playable set for $200 or less.
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

Appreciate the tongue-in-cheek feedback, this was certainly one of the tougher decisions, and I know I'm unashamedly taking the easy way out.  Maybe I'll try to build a second set that goes the other way once I finish the first one.  Unfortunately, the gapping going the other way is also a bit more of a pain in my hairless a** to figure out.

The 1 iron is really a luxury and if I ever come across one, I'll find a way to put it in the bag.  Might as well go with the most butter knifey 1 iron I can find!

Regarding the Legend shafts, I've seen a few 72s with these and I'm hesitant to jump on them, if for no other reason than that I stubbornly want consistency across the set with the Apex 4 (even though that shaft isn't necessarily consistent over the years, either).  Are there significant differences in playability between the two shafts, other than what I've heard about the Legends sending an electric shock through your body when you don't flush the shot?

Quick updates on progress so far:

•  I'm appalled at how difficult it's been to find the Grind/Redline/PC on eBay so far, given that they are some of the most available irons.  Just haven't found the right iron number & shaft combo in good condition yet.
  • The 1993-94 model is way more rare than I thought it would be.  The channel back is surprisingly more common than I thought it would be.
  • The '72 Apex equalizer and the '73 9 iron are going to probably be in pretty rough shape.  Gonna likely need to find a good refurbisher for this club.  Might need to play these in a Legend shaft instead of an Apex shaft.
  • In general, it is very difficult not to just buy full sets of each model.  Anyone who's just in the market for a set to play for fun and doesn't care about looks can find a playable set for $200 or less.

Like any of the "big butt" shafts of that era ... a failed experiment.

• 4 weeks later...

First Update:

I have acquired the '73 Apex 9 iron and the '93 Apex 4 iron.  Pics below...

The 9 iron has a Legacy shaft in it, which I actually don't mind too much; however, I will still be replacing it with an Apex 4 shaft at some point.  I was shocked how sharp the leading edge is on this club, but it's fairly easy to hit and produces a ridiculously high ball flight.  Maybe too high, and I was having some trouble flighting it down at the range (hitting off a mat).  But very workable left and right.  This club is fine.  It doesn't excite me (other than it being a 50 year old classic), but it gets the job done, and it has a bit more of an inviting profile (thicker sole and top line) for a bladed iron.  This is going to get bent 1* weak to 46* and basically serve as a PW, and I'm seriously considering trying to do just a tad bit of rounding off on that leading edge, as I play in swampy conditions way more than I play hardpan.  I'm also wondering about possibly trying the 8 iron spinner trick with the shaft in this wedge if I can't figure out how to get the flight to come down on it.

IMG_0747.jpg.248ee9603af1472b34a82ff183e0f831.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg.13304aa3c1a6798b74196586ffbb38d2.jpg

The 4 iron...oh man.  I'm in love.  There's no confusing it for something other than a blade, and it's absolutely gorgeous.  Ball flight was awesome, nice medium-high trajectory for me (with a Dynalite shaft, which will be replaced), and so buttery.  SO buttery.  Way better feedback than the 9 iron.  I've still got a ways to go, but this '93 Ft. Worth Redlined Apex might be a dark horse candidate for my favorite.  At the very least, this model deserves way more love.  It seems like the PCs, the '88 Redlines, and the Grinds that came before it get a lot more respect (as do the '99s), and it didn't get much of a run with the Channel Back coming out the following year, but this 4 iron is a stallion.  It demands respect and skill, but if you have the confidence to command it, it will go anywhere and do anything you want.  This is a blade lover's blade, through and through.  I'm not sure I have the chops to really do this club justice, but this whole experiment is about having fun and paying homage, and I'm going to really love hitting this club on the course.

IMG_0743.jpg.01e012994e39958e78fd464df8b4455c.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg.420ac476254d0e41d665b75402cfb015.jpg

Next on the docket...the Channel Back 3 iron and the Apex II 8 iron.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

The 4 iron...oh man.  I'm in love.  There's no confusing it for something other than a blade, and it's absolutely gorgeous.  Ball flight was awesome, nice medium-high trajectory for me (with a Dynalite shaft, which will be replaced), and so buttery.  SO buttery.  

If the 4 iron performed so well why would you replace the shaft?

4 minutes ago, JShaw said:

If the 4 iron performed so well why would you replace the shaft?

Part of it is intangible.  The Apex shaft is a relic of a past time, and the project is about preserving history as much as it's about anything else.  The Apex is a proprietary shaft from an essentially extinct company, and has a natural fit with an Apex head, because that was what it was designed for.  It's a fantastic stock shaft, and I hope to match each club in the set with the same shaft for some semblance of consistency through the set and the hope of playing something closer to "original."

I also have plenty of experience with, and very favorable opinions of the performance of the Apex 4 shaft.  I'm not worried that I'm going to lose anything by making the change.

• Like 1

I've thought about building a couple of different Hogan frankenstein sets.  One would be to alternate between 79 Cameos and 92 Ft Worths.  I think they are similar enough that there wouldn't be a drastic adjustment between irons.  I also like the idea of a long and mid-iron Redline set with a short irons from the PC's.  I love the PC short irons, but they get a little challenging as they get longer.  I also really like the 2 through 6 in my 59 Sabers, but the short irons lose me a little. Especially the 9 and Equalizer.  Not sure what to replace them with.  

On 3/26/2022 at 10:37 PM, Bigarch said:

LOL I like the old red label Apex Shafts. But he better be one hell of a ball striker if he can hit a PC 1 iron---- But overall with the mix of Hogan blades and a PC 1 iron it could be a big first tee intimidation factor. Throw in a beat to crap Bullseye and man you have it. But seriously I like the whole idea especially if he fine tunes each club where he can hit it--- Man with that he may have me beat on the intimidation factor. But then again with the 7 & 9 woods with 4 headcovers now I have lost some of my club intimidation factor. LOL no iron lower than a 5 iron for this old man now. 

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

6 hours ago, BIG STU said:

LOL I like the old red label Apex Shafts. But he better be one hell of a ball striker if he can hit a PC 1 iron---- But overall with the mix of Hogan blades and a PC 1 iron it could be a big first tee intimidation factor. Throw in a beat to crap Bullseye and man you have it. But seriously I like the whole idea especially if he fine tunes each club where he can hit it--- Man with that he may have me beat on the intimidation factor. But then again with the 7 & 9 woods with 4 headcovers now I have lost some of my club intimidation factor. LOL no iron lower than a 5 iron for this old man now. 

I am all for taking the 1 iron out to play, what could possibly go wrong and so what if it does. I wish that my 1975 Wilson Staffs had a 1 iron, I love the 2 iron. Think of the other pluses in playing it:

1) The coolness factor.

2) You would not fear lightning because everyone knows that even God is not     supposed to be able to hit a 1 iron (I jest).

3) It would drive some people crazy on this forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hickory4ever said:

I am all for taking the 1 iron out to play, what could possibly go wrong and so what if it does. I wish that my 1975 Wilson Staffs had a 1 iron, I love the 2 iron. Think of the other pluses in playing it:

1) The coolness factor.

2) You would not fear lightning because everyone knows that even God is not     supposed to be able to hit a 1 iron (I jest).

3) It would drive some people crazy on this forum.

I have several ranging from a Eye2 to an 985 Armour Custom. I was actually carrying the EYE 2 and using it in front line play some when I was hurt which ironically was 2 years ago today ( 4-30-20). I have used it to some extent sparingly on a certain hole on our course. But now days I do not want to really exert the SS to make one operate effectively. And honestly now days I can hit a low screamer cut with the 3 wood more effectively. But still for the kicks and giggles thing it is fun. I have one that is a real bear to hit even before I was hurt. Our esteemed WRXer Richard 77 sent me what I determined was a 1954 Winged Mac Tourney one some time back. That thing is wicked tiny face stiff as a telephone shaft and heavy. I had to lean on it even then to hit it

Back before I was hurt I would hit one up on the range or carry one in vintage play. I have had people ask "why in the world I was hitting a 1 iron?"  I used to quip back because I still can!!!  Sadly I do not think I can pull it off any more

Edited by BIG STU

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

8 hours ago, Hickory4ever said:

Actually I thought that only God and Jack Nicklaus could hit a 1 iron... 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

5 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Hogan "legacy set?   You're missing the obvious 1 iron.

13 hours ago, Hickory4ever said:

I am all for taking the 1 iron out to play, what could possibly go wrong and so what if it does.

I knew my arm was going to get twisted on this, lol. I do have a Radial 1 iron as part of a full set of ‘83 Radials and I do play it as a driving iron when I use that set, so I’m not opposed to throwing in an Apex 1 iron. They’re tricky to find and I’d have to accept that it likely wouldn’t blend with the rest of the set, but I’m keeping my eyes open. 

On 4/29/2022 at 8:45 AM, raggal62 said:

There are many that think the Dynalite was the closest match to the Apex.

That may have been (or likely was) the case with the last iteration of the Apex shaft, those being made by True Temper.  But the earlier Apex shafts were a Brunswick/Precision product, or so I remember reading back in the day.  Which makes them more likely to be like the Precision shaft IMHO.

• Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2022 at 2:00 PM, Joe S said:

I've thought about building a couple of different Hogan frankenstein sets.  One would be to alternate between 79 Cameos and 92 Ft Worths.  I think they are similar enough that there wouldn't be a drastic adjustment between irons.  I also like the idea of a long and mid-iron Redline set with a short irons from the PC's.  I love the PC short irons, but they get a little challenging as they get longer.  I also really like the 2 through 6 in my 59 Sabers, but the short irons lose me a little. Especially the 9 and Equalizer.  Not sure what to replace them with.  

I've been meaning to address this because I like the cut of your jib.

100% agree on the Cameos and Ft. Worths being pretty similar.  For looks sake, I would personally consider getting two sets of Cameos, one white and one black, and playing the odds out of the white set and the evens out of the black set, so you have alternating cameos.  Sort of a "chess set."  Not sure this is a novel idea, though.

I'm having trouble finding a PC 7 iron in good shape so I can't give feedback on them yet, but I also personally like the idea of making a combo set with the '88 Redlines in the longer irons and the Ft. Worth Redlines in the shorter irons.  I would think this set has nice playability and looks really cohesive.  Might be my preferred play.

It sounds like the PCs are the perfect thing to replace your short irons in the Saber set.

• Like 1

Okay, Update #2:

I took the Cameo 8 iron and the Channel Back 3 iron out to the range and put them through their paces this weekend.  The 8 iron has an Apex 4 shaft that is 0.5" long and a grip with absolutely no life left on it, and the 3 iron has an Apex 4 with a midsize grip that I just do not feel comfortable with.  Adjustments will be made.

I'll start with the 3 iron.  In short, this club is going to be the problem child in the set.  It has a relatively thick top line and thin sole for a blade, which is a combination that makes it difficult to hit without at least having the aesthetics of a proper blade.  I have to wonder what the heck the designers were thinking.  To their credit, at least, it seems as though they rectified the design in '99 when they thinned out the top line and moved that weight down into the sole.

It felt like the COG was higher on this club and so it requires really disciplined swings and good compression to get proper launch.  Don't get me wrong.  On well struck shots, the feeling is still immaculate and the ball flight is lower and more penetrating than what I would expect from an Apex.  I've read elsewhere that Justin Leonard won the Open Championship at Royal Troon in '97 with these irons in the bag, and that makes sense to me as this is probably the Apex model I'd want on a links course.  It's a good club for windy/firm conditions and so it does have a useful place in the bag.

IMG_0791.jpg.f1e68f86499e1a4498eda204c5cff62b.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg.0d8c753d2332f5bc3316ebc73c023264.jpg

With the 8 iron, I found a return to comfort that was reminiscent of the 4 iron, and that makes sense because the '93 Ft. Worth appears to be a pretty close carbon copy of the Apex II.  I'm no Tiger Woods, but it presents a veritable potpourri of trajectory/flight options for the true shot maker.  This club was an absolute delight to swing, and I had a ton of fun (and not much success) playing target practice from about 100-150 with this thing.  I could spend all day at the range hitting these Apex short irons.  The stock ball flight was a bit higher than I might have wanted and I had some trouble flighting this club down, but I have to remind myself that it's basically a modern day 9 iron. I also would've preferred the black cameo over the white.  Would it be sacrilegious to paint fill that silhouette?

IMG_0788.jpg.2ce1f682178d883b1a0646207c4c953e.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg.4f41d395df83e1cc81582eb29e41b774.jpg

In other news, I took the '93 Ft. Worth to be reshafted today (Pulled an Apex 4 out of a beat up Forged Edge) and my club builder gave me a healthy amount of good-natured grief about the job, given that he has to deal with the pin in the hosel.  I didn't have the heart to tell him there are more coming his way.  I picked up some BB&F ferrules and I would love to do that job on my own but I just don't feel comfortable with those hosel pins.

On the club acquisition front, I'm having a devil of a time tracking down a PC 7 iron in good condition, which I didn't think would be so difficult.  I've sensed nary a whiff of a 72' Equalizer or a '99 2 iron in two months.  I always knew those would be tough to find, but once I get the 7 iron in hand, I'll basically have the equivalent of a modern 4-PW set, so I'll start finishing clubs and playing the set.

So far, here are my definitive and way too subjective rankings:

1. '93 Ft. Worth (Underlined) 4 iron

2. '79 Apex II (White Cameo) 8 iron

3. '73 Apex 9 iron

4. '94 Channel back

Stay tuned for the '88 Redline and the '90 Grind mid irons.  Man, am I excited for the next update.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update here, as there will be more to come soon (hopefully).  I'm over the moon that I was able to track down the '99 2 iron and the '72 Equalizer in good shape, along with the PC 7 iron (finally), which was annoyingly difficult to find.  Everything should arrive in the next week or two, and then I'll begin the process of finishing off the set. I have a few shafts to refit, some buffing/polishing, and some new ferrules and grips to throw on.  Hoping to have it done by July.

I was able to stretch out the Grind 5 iron and the Redline 6 iron a bit, both at the range and on an executive course nearby.  For the Apex Grind, what is there to say, other than it's a delight to hit?  Love the look of it (some may find it a bit too chunky to be considered a true blade), and it's probably the most forgiving Apex in the lineup.  It definitely has flashes of the '73 Apex in it, but I think I prefer the look of the more "modern" Grind.  Great club.

IMG_0902.jpg.9f4640e1602de9239cc5ee8d616ed657.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg.78582fc3bfae4f30780fbb4a88191238.jpg

There's not much more to add when it comes to the Redline.  It's surprising how similar the profile is between the Redline and the Grind; the Grind is basically a slightly more chunky version of the Redline with a new paint job.  The design of these irons is so on point for me.  They were able to sneak a bunch of weight down low, but hide it under what is still a pretty thin top line.  They may be blades, but they're not as unforgiving and unhittable as Hogan lore would have you believe.  The chrome really pops off the back of the club, and the simple Hogan branding with the red underlining is a timeless design.  While the Grind may be slightly more playable, the Redline gets the nod for me based on looks.  After giving it a spin, I definitely think my preferred play would be to combo the Redlines in the longer irons with the '92 Ft. Worth Redlines in the shorter irons.

IMG_0904.jpg.e1e8e5a963b3dad5f485d3e6842d50e9.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg.868aeb6d3e97c0c64fc90ce36e0f972f.jpg

Updated Rankings (I'm definitely feeling an even-numbered half set):

2. '88 Redline 6 iron

3. '79 Apex II (White Cameo) 8 iron

4. '90 Grind 5 iron 

5. '73 Apex 9 iron

6. '94 Channel back 3 iron

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since my last post, but a lot has happened...I now have a 2i-EW set, and I had a chance to recently pull the trigger on an Apex Plus 1 iron, but am going to cool my jets for a while, as I'm happy with the way this has turned out.  Couple quick notes on the few irons that have come in recently...

The 2 iron is a proper blade in looks and performance, in all regards.  My ball striking weaknesses have been utterly exposed by it and I have a hard time hitting it off the deck in any meaningful way, but it is absolutely gorgeous.  I'm committed to making it work off the tee at least, but I'll need some practice to figure out how to tame it.  I have nothing bad to say about it, I'm simply just not worthy of it.

The PC 7 iron is surprisingly easy to hit and very shapeable.  I had really low expectations of this club, but it performs very well, and I can see what all the hype is about.  I like the blade size and shape, but the graphics on this iron are some of my least favorite, and it gets knocked down a few pegs for that. Otherwise, absolutely solid iron.

The '72 Equalizer caught me by surprise and makes a hard push for my favorite in the set.  Deceptively, the sole gets narrower from toe to hosel, and this makes the club play in a pretty versatile way.  I think of a modern gap wedge as pretty full soled and for full shots only, but this has some playability in it that I wasn't expecting due to the sneaky heel relief.  This is a really fun club to play around with, and I love the look of the original Apex.

Updated (Highly Subjective) Rankings:

2. '72 Apex Equalizer Wedge

3. '88 Redline 6 iron

4. '79 Apex II (White Cameo) 8 iron

5. '87 Apex PC 7 iron

6. '90 Grind 5 iron 

7. '99 Apex 2 iron

8. '73 Apex 9 iron

9. '94 Channel back 3 iron

• Like 2

And, on a final note, I had several of the irons reshafted and went to the trouble to throw in some matching BB&F Co. ferrules to make it feel more like a proper set.  They've got fresh black Lamkin Crossline grips and are ready for their first round, which I hope to get in the next week or so.

The next step would be some buffing/paint fill and I'm a little mixed on this, as these clubs are all in great shape but are clearly used, and I like that they've got some character.  I'm on the fence, but for now I just want to get out and enjoy them.

The set ended up looking much more cohesive than I thought, except for the PC having a black number on the sole... Obligatory Pics:

IMG_1012.jpg.de0304886c81d6908df3a1da197748a3.jpg 

IMG_1013.jpg.e8603b84f74f068af8a86522a5016c36.jpg 

IMG_1014.jpg.13813d994f2e512e32c5c34448f462d5.jpg

This has been fun, and I am really happy with the way the set has turned out to date.  Long term, I think I may look for persimmon Apex 1 and 3 woods, and I have BeCu 55 and 60 Hogan wedges hanging out in the basement to complete the set.  Maybe I'll see if I can throw in one of those Bettinardi Hogan putters some day, too.

• Like 4

Cool set-up. I absolutely love the '92 Fort With Redlines, the best Hogan of them all I think.

I would have to put some red paint fill on the PC though. OCD LOL

• Like 1

[b][i]Classic Bag[/i][/b]
Cleveland Classic Jumbo S400
Cleveland Classic R75 3 Wood S400
Macgregor M75 4 Wood S500
Macgregor Muirfield 20th 2-PW
Cleveland Byron Nelson 50th BeCu 56 & 60 Wedges
Designed By Cleveland BeCu Putter

[b][i]Modern Bag[/i][/b]
Bridgestone J40 430 Ysq st stiff
TEE CB4 13* 3 Wood 85 gram Whiteboard Stiff