Rounds with a Vintage Bag

3 hours ago, Brian1862 said:

I mostly enjoyed my round yesterday after something over 12 years since my last one. Played solo with these friends along:

bag_2.JPG.56fe48930f3890b55a573d206e4b42f8.JPG

I have much to work on!

Wow 12 year lay off!  Welcome back and may I say with some fine looking clubs!

• Like 4

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

16 hours ago, Lefty96 said:

So over the last couple months I got into playing hickory golf and have quite a bit of rounds under my belt now and I wanted to write a little bit about my experience. First off, I have to admit I was drawn to hickory golf because I was in a bit of a slump in my regular game and golf was just not giving me the joy I was looking for. I saw hickory a a new challenge that carried very little expectation about score. So that is how it began. 

After piecing together an 8 club bag I began seeing what the sticks could do. I was very surprised with how they performed. If I catch the brassie (12* loft) in the right spot that thing can still get out there near my modern 3 wood. The irons look like butterknives but go surprising straight and just as far as their modern loft equivalents. Admittedly the short game with a niblick and a putter I'm unfamiliar with suffered quite a bit but has come around nicely. Score wise I quickly got to shooting fairly respectable rounds too. 

The other thing I found quite satisfying was getting paired with people at different courses and seeing their reactions. My playing partner got used to me playing well with the old clubs but strangers always had a great reaction. At first you could tell they were disappointed with the pairing probably assuming the worst but by the end they all have been surprised and intrigued that golf can still be played quite well with wooden shafted clubs. My favorite reaction was from a guy who was a decent player whom I bested by a couple of strokes saying "you beat me with a bag full of actual sticks.. I need to go home". 

Lastly I want to comment on how playing hickory has effected my normal game. I took about a month off of touching my modern clubs all together and played probable 15 hickory rounds in that time. I've recently started playing some rounds with my normal clubs as I have a tournament upcoming at the end of august. The first thing I noticed was a change in my iron game. I'm striking the ball so well with my irons. I used to struggle with a bit of an over draw and a two way miss as the irons got longer. Right now I am more comfortable from 150-200 than I ever have been. I don't know what happened but I am attributing it to the hickory play. I wish I could say the same thing happened to my diver but it has not. Driver still is requiring a lot of work for me to put it where I want it. Fortunately, my 2 iron has benefited from the iron game improvement so I have a really comfortable bail out option off the tee when needed. 

To sum this rather pointless post up. Hickory golf saved my golf game. I was in a pretty dark place with my game and really not wanting to play. I had some of the most fun I've had on the course playing those vintage clubs and will continue to do so every few rounds or so. Now I'm back to playing at a level I enjoy and I really think I owe it to some nice left handed gentlemen from the 1920s who stored their clubs away safely instead of tossing them into a pond!

Good read. Whilst I don't play hickory golf, like you I find the old stuff more fun to play. I can't fully put into words why, but I do know that when I put some persimmons in the bag, I'm looking to enjoy each and every strike rather than worry about the score.

One way that playing old stuff has helped my game is actually wedge play. Playing wedges with different grinds made me realise what grind is right for me, and also how to use different grinds and bounce.

2 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Good read. Whilst I don't play hickory golf, like you I find the old stuff more fun to play. I can't fully put into words why, but I do know that when I put some persimmons in the bag, I'm looking to enjoy each and every strike rather than worry about the score.

One way that playing old stuff has helped my game is actually wedge play. Playing wedges with different grinds made me realise what grind is right for me, and also how to use different grinds and bounce.

There’s def a fun aspect that comes into play and relaxes you for a vintage round. I personally really enjoy the traditional lofts as well, I grew up playing traditional lofts and I find my distance control much better with them. The newest club I play is an i3, a little bit stronger lofted than my hogans but still weak compared to modern clubs. I really want to add some eye2’s back to the bag but I’ve got enough clubs (actually mainly putters) around to make the wife mad right now 

I have a 52 degree equaliser in the bag back home in the states that will be coming back with me next time I’m there. It’s always been a wedge that I’ve just gotten along with. 

I’ll maybe enjoy newer clubs when I’m older and loose some swing speed

Edited by MachineHack
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

What are “aka-tops”?

Red tops. It's how they are affectionately know in Japan.

I thought it was you I replied to recently in a different thread about the Japanese love for Spalding irons of a certain vintage, but it might have been a different poster.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Red tops. It's how they are affectionately know in Japan.

I thought it was you I replied to recently in a different thread about the Japanese love for Spalding irons of a certain vintage, but it might have been a different poster.

Yes that was me.  Sorry I didn't realize aka = red.  These were not my favorite "red tops"  I left those at home for these which I believe are the "black tops"  They play very similar.

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

Showed up for the weekly senior scramble toting the Eye 2s.  Man, they played sweet and straight.  Striping driver 240ish and splitting fairways.  Cut the corner with a 3 wood on a 295 yard par 4 to the center of the green.  It was a sight to behold flying high over the dogleg corner’s trees.  Short irons were throwing darts at flagsticks.  Too bad the other 3 guys were seriously slumping.  We finished +3.  😂

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Taylormade MG4 52/56 wedges

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

19 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Showed up for the weekly senior scramble toting the Eye 2s.  Man, they played sweet and straight.  Striping driver 240ish and splitting fairways.  Cut the corner with a 3 wood on a 295 yard par 4 to the center of the green.  It was a sight to behold flying high over the dogleg corner’s trees.  Short irons were throwing darts at flagsticks.  Too bad the other 3 guys were seriously slumping.  We finished +3.  😂

Oh I know about the slumping any more that is SOP for my team---- And I would have loved to have been there and seen your play and I bet the look on some faces was priceless

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

On 8/8/2022 at 9:24 AM, vandyfan said:

Working on some trestle sticks I made from poplar. Also burned my kids names into them and waiting for them to dry. Should be decent!

4E6861DC-A100-4BD2-9F95-FB590BDCDB6F.jpeg

EEE440D7-C3AA-4B05-B901-0CC2DBA36130.jpeg

Look great

• Thanks 1

Well I got lucky--- This week along with everything else I have going on my wife found my missing Precision 6 iron. It was in the jumble of the front bedroom. I have been looking for it for a year. How it got there I have not a clue because the rest of the set was in the shop. Today is Mr Hogan's 110th birthday. So in honor of him I am playing those Monday ( I do not play on Sunday) Basically it will be a sorta cheater set as far as pure vintage. Here is the planned line up.

Driver --- Penna Jupiter Slugger--- I love that thing

4 Hybrid--- Adams OS 24*---- I am wanting to experiment some besides that thing is fun to hit

Irons 2 thru 9 1954 Hogan Precision

Wedge 51* Hogan Special K Grind

SW Ping Zing 2 BECU 61*-- Not really practical but a blast to hit

Putter-- Ping Zing 2--- Have had it for over 25 years and it is a flow neck like my Rusty Scotty I have won a boatload of money with that thing in the past and it has earned it's keep. The instructor who is helping me on my putting suggested that I leave the Bulls Eyes and Ironmasters alone for now. 

Yeah not exactly really vintage but now days for me it is all about the kicks and giggles factor not being exactly proper. Besides I can hit the 2 and 3 irons pretty decent with that set. 

• Like 3

On 8/4/2022 at 8:54 AM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Very true. When I put persimmons in the bag, it's not that I suddenly give up caring about the score. I want to score as well as I can with them, and that's where the fun comes in. 

There's more strategy required with persimmons. I can't just grab the driver and bomb one down the fairway past the trouble, or crank out a high 4w to clear the trees and the cut the corner. I have to assess the possibilities more and consider what happens if don't catch one out of the screws. 

I may still take on the risk, but only after carefully weighing the options (and no, I don't slow down my play when I play persimmons). I just have to think my way around the course more, and that makes it more fun. And, if I do take on a risky shot and execute it, the feeling of satisfaction is much greater than with modern woods. Admittedly, I'm pretty satisfied when I pull off the shot with modern clubs; doing it with persimmons makes it even better🙂

I think that this greater need for course management when playing persimmons has probably helped my game overall. I'm much more conservative with my shot selection now then 6~7 years ago, which is a good thing on Japanese courses that often have OB left and right. 

But I also know better when I can risk it and perhaps miss it.

Oh absolutely Persimmon helps with course strategy. I have had to revamp my whole game since losing distance even with the modern stuff.

LOL added another club to the "cheater set" for tomorrow--- Messing around in the shop tonight I found a Titleist 905 driver with a V-2 shaft I used to hit pretty decent. I do not know if I can hit it at all being a 9.5 loft and a 76 gram stiff shaft but I am going to mess with it some strictly out of curiousity factor and of course kicks and giggles.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 9:48 AM, BIG STU said:

LOL added another club to the "cheater set" for tomorrow--- Messing around in the shop tonight I found a Titleist 905 driver with a V-2 shaft I used to hit pretty decent. I do not know if I can hit it at all being a 9.5 loft and a 76 gram stiff shaft but I am going to mess with it some strictly out of curiousity factor and of course kicks and giggles.

Those V-2 shafts can play pretty stout from what I remember. Good shafts, though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Those V-2 shafts can play pretty stout from what I remember. Good shafts, though.

Yeah it is stout--- I carried and hit it some from my regular tees yesterday---- I can still hit it pretty decent just as good as the Honma and just as straight---- I can be a viable back up should something happen to the G1-X---- I have to put slight more effort to hit it versus the Honma---  I have not played it in like 5 years or so and it is hard to get the confidence I have over the Honma so for now it will not be front line

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I played a pretty exclusive local course the other day with a member and some friends, and decided to take try it with a classic bag. The course itself dates back to the persimmon era (late Fifties), but it's had some changes made to it in recent years. It's an attractive course right by the sea, but more like a parkland course than links. Thick rough, and tree-lined fairways. The hole in the picture below, the 7th, is the hardest. About 460 yards, with OB right, a narrow fairway, and thick rough left.

1989746514_Seaviewfrom7thtee.jpg.4c035e2ea91c806833ba8ad724b3e90b.jpg770360709_Viewdownfairwayfrom7thtee.jpg.ed83ca8ffef01e2db9a2bf6f49df40ea.jpg

From the tees we played, the course measures around 6,550 yards, so it's a pretty good challenge with the old lumber. 

I decided to take along what is probably my longest, more reliable driver, a Mizuno Blondie, a normally reliable Honma 3w, and a Mac R1W 5w that I've recently taken a liking to. Irons were Mizuno MS-7s, 2i-PW, with a late model VIP SW and an long-neck Ping Anser 5KS for the putter.

Funny sort of round. Nothing intrinsically bad, but not much that stands out. The driver was probably the best performer, the 3w was surprisingly surly, and the 5w did its job. Actually, I took the 5w off the first tee in front of a bit of crowd, and I am glad to say I striped one far away down the middle of the fairway. 

Irons were OK. They feel beautiful when middled. I took the 2i along for one particular hole, the 17th, which is a short par 4 with trouble right and OB left. For some reason, I don't get along with this hole. Anyway, I hit a nice 2i up the left side fo the fairway, a 9-out-of-ten strike, pitched on, and smoothly three-putted for the bogey. 

And that was the biggest problem: terrible putting. With anything like half-decent putting, I could have put a pretty nice round together, but I had a 43-41=84 total for a not-great, not-awful round. 

29410655_WiTPBAugust2022set.jpg.fd8a51d7fd8929474db8244e7a948229.jpg251980984_WiTPBAugust2022ironsMizunoMS-7.jpg.908891412655403e6eb66905a343055e.jpg1602165451_WiTPBAugust2022irons_2MizunoMS-7s.jpg.750cd73a68413f08a71910da4ef0ae8c.jpg

Driver face:

1882537134_MizunoProBlondieface.JPG.0b4c732c6958077175b2036c760d5ba4.JPG

One final thing. I used a Slazenger wound surlyn ball. I got a sleeve as part of a selection of old balls that included the good (Tour Balatas, Maxfli HT Balatas, Titleist DT Wounds), the bad (Pinnacle, Ultras), and the odd (Maxfli CD or something like that. Never heard of it). Anyway, I remembered playing with these Slazenger balls as a junior, and that was one reason why I put in a bid. They played great, softer than Titleist wound surlyns, and very durable. I used the number 4 ball you can see in the picture for the whole round, and there's barely a mark on it. Plus, they were made close to where I grew up.

2128655251_Slazengerwoundballs.jpg.820ead4e215b1dbe1fa988eeec2923c2.jpg

Love the 7’s! My favorite Mizuno iron EVER..

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

5 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Love the 7’s! My favorite Mizuno iron EVER..

They're a great looking blade. I love the wingback design. Also, by Mizuno standards of the era, the SW is pretty good. I'm not a fan of most Mizuno sand wedges from the Eighties, but this one isn't too shovel-like, and has a decent sole grind.

Nevertheless, I still pulled it in favour of my VIP SW, which I REALLY like.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Most of my vintage rounds are with 1960s gear.  But that wasn’t what was keeping me from playing these.  These have True Temper Rocket Shafts with a star which I believe is a stiff flex.   I alway look for a regular flex.  I took these out to the par 3 course today.  Wow!  Ball fight super high. But very accurate, slight adjustments during my swing could be noticed after striking which made me find these clubs very workable!   I went around the course twice and kept an honest score the second time and tied by course best!  Not bad for a first time out with these.  

These date to 1954 as does the 2w.  Played with a titlest tru feel ball.5B7857F0-AB99-4977-9133-3BC822BCEA2B.jpeg.a8d073e884b9d81b097979139ffc4e0f.jpegF5480665-7786-4F33-9D63-B653E6F9F28E.jpeg.9208d7cf7fce14797182636b14fa0405.jpeg

They are amazing sticks--- One of the Holy Grail sets among better players in my area growing up. I had a partial set about like the set up you have pictured. I carried those in the big truck when I had weekend layovers. LOL I bought them canvas bag and all at a course in Indiana for like $25 even though I did buy a brand new Anser to go with them. As a norm I do not get rid of anything but for the life of me can not remember what I did with that set up.

I did some change up for today on the vintage end.

Put the Velociticed MT1W woods in today Driver 2 wood and 4 wood. I have hit the driver before and it is my favorite besides the Slugger. I have never hit that 2 wood and evidently I have hit the 4 wood because I have changed the grip on it. Pulled the Hogan 51* K Grind out and Put an Eye2 50* PW in just because. I did go into the shop and lengthen the Zing putter 2". Another change I made was the bag itself. The little nylon bag I was using is a great little bag if one is walking but it is a hassle on a cart with 14 or 15 clubs. I have had a nice little Orange leather Power Bilt bag for some time I bought at GW for like $5. It is the same size as my Jones. Pretty sharp little bag. LOL SOP for me back in the day a branded bag with out a single club of that brand in it. Yep lets see Mac , Hogan and Ping not a PB club in it which will more than likely change in the near future. Yep both sets fit in the trunk of my car fine. One thing about me vintage wise is I have so much stuff I can play different things. I think next week I am going to drag out a set of Dunlop Aussie blades I have had like 5 years and never hit or played. Since we had showers yesterday afternoon I sat in the shop and wrote a list of combos I want to try next week. I will more than likely not play Thursday I have a regular checkup with my Doc at 8 AM which time I get done the course will be busy. Fridays I tend to play the signature set to tune up for the Saturday Shootout

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Played 9 holes all vintage today. Used the Slugger and 57 Mac 3 wood. Same irons and wedges including the sorta borderline Ping Zing 2. I did shaft up an original Ping Zing BECU yesterday. LOL I messed up just threw it together and it was 2" shorter than the Zing 2. It was extremely wet because we got a bad storm about 3 AM this morning that dumped 2" of rain in about an hour. It was CPO so I just played 9 holes. Needless to say I did not get any Persimmon roll. But really hit the old 3 wood good and putted good despite the putter being 2" too short for me. I know one thing 9 holes CPO swinging persimmon kicked my butt. Shot 40 (+4) which was not too bad considering. Came home rectified the putter length problem and subsituted a Eye 2 wedge for the Hogan 51* just for kicks and giggles. What was funny I played the same ball all round. I find all kinds of balls on our course without ball hawking. Usually on the first 2 holes I play some kind of colored ball so I can see and find it then switch about hole #3. I played of all things a Bright Red Volvik all day. Just kept it in play expecting to plug it sometme during the round and loosing it. 

Playing persimmon on a water-logged course is just tough all round. Playing persimmon on dry courses, I can just about keep up with my friend when he's hitting his modern stuff, but that's only because I get lots more roll-out.

Soggy course = no  rollout = hard work with wooden clubs

The other day, I hit a decent drive low into the left rough, and it stopped after a bounce or two. He nailed one down the fairway and was nearly 100 yards ahead of me. On another hole, we both hit down the middle and ended up in about the same spot, even though he clearly carried his further.

• Like 1