2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

17 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Actually that would not be a bad thing on the Mac--- I have in the past seen the old school version of drilling holes and melting lead in. But doing that would not come as close to an exact science as the way you do it. Knew a guy back in the day that was a master craftsman when it came to clubs period. If he put a cracked persimmon wood back together with dowels he drilled and measured how much wood he drilled out and closely duplicated the weight with the dowels and epoxy. I have an uncanny sense of feel and he did a beloved Power Bilt persimmon driver that had cracked on me. I could not tell the difference afterward.

yah same here. only problem with lead is the density, you only gain 2-3 grams per cc vs over bronze or steel. Tungsten is like 10 grams/ cc

those craftsmen who knew how to properly fix the wooden drivers are few and fair between these days, but even I love to watch their work it’s awesome.

sorry to go off topic, I haven’t found a set of vintage BH’s apex’s to game yet still stuck with my BH-5’s and old i3 blades

Edited by MachineHack
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, MachineHack said:

yah same here. only problem with lead is the density, you only gain 2-3 grams per cc vs over bronze or steel. Tungsten is like 10 grams/ cc

those craftsmen who knew how to properly fix the wooden drivers are few and fair between these days, but even I love to watch their work it’s awesome.

sorry to go off topic, I haven’t found a set of vintage BH’s apex’s to game yet still stuck with my BH-5’s and old i3 blades

It is perfectly ok no one on this end of the forum goes ballistic or has a coronary over someone going 'off topic"

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

There still are guys out there that fix clubs, just a little harder to find. When it comes to vintage, I don’t typically want to spend a lot on restoration as the clubs are so cheap to begin with. That is a personal choice. For the same reason, I limit my interventions to adding lead tape. 

I don’t acquire anything that I will not play. They don’t have to look perfect although I like them to be and remain in good condition. 

Today is going to be a hickory round with a couple friends. I will decide which clubs I will use just before I go out to play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hickory4ever said:

There still are guys out there that fix clubs, just a little harder to find. When it comes to vintage, I don’t typically want to spend a lot on restoration as the clubs are so cheap to begin with. That is a personal choice. For the same reason, I limit my interventions to adding lead tape. 

I don’t acquire anything that I will not play. They don’t have to look perfect although I like them to be and remain in good condition. 

Today is going to be a hickory round with a couple friends. I will decide which clubs I will use just before I go out to play.

I am basically the same way on the vintage stuff especially FWs wedges and putters. True old school craftsmen are hard to find now but there are a few roaming around the FB groups.

14 minutes ago, Wham49 said:

Don’t usually take pics if my vintage bag, but had a couple minutes to burn. Love the irons hit them very high and about one club short, the woods I really like I know they are not the greatest, but I really hit the driver high and straight the 4 wood flies, the the gems of the bag were the wedges the FG-51 SW is money hit 4 perfect pitches with it, from 60-80 yards hit within about 12 feet each time

the Mizuno Faldo 60 is very nice and soft around the greens, I wasn’t sure about how much offset it had but okayed beautifully. My putter was the oversized response from macgregor

behind the clubs is the toughest par 3 in the rotation of courses I play. The 5th at spring Valley is 215 of carry to the green, hard to run it up, everything short of the green runs down left to the water, doesn’t usually go in but leaves you a 40 yard shot straight up hill, and green running away from you, if you niss on the right your under low branched trees on hard pan, have to bounce it up the side of the green, seen many people hit it over the green and down to the water from right. Usually take my 4 and get the hell out of there 

3488C20D-4055-4E5F-AE14-4EE2816F4F97.jpeg

354BC123-C814-4854-9F30-E04B12923541.jpeg

I've been looking for the Mizuno Faldo wedges, but I'm not sure they were released in Japan, or if they were, perhaps they had different stampings. Anyway, I've not found one yet.

Wilson knew what they were doing when it came to sand wedges. Some of my favourites.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wham49 said:

Don’t usually take pics if my vintage bag, but had a couple minutes to burn. Love the irons hit them very high and about one club short, the woods I really like I know they are not the greatest, but I really hit the driver high and straight the 4 wood flies, the the gems of the bag were the wedges the FG-51 SW is money hit 4 perfect pitches with it, from 60-80 yards hit within about 12 feet each time

the Mizuno Faldo 60 is very nice and soft around the greens, I wasn’t sure about how much offset it had but okayed beautifully. My putter was the oversized response from macgregor

behind the clubs is the toughest par 3 in the rotation of courses I play. The 5th at spring Valley is 215 of carry to the green, hard to run it up, everything short of the green runs down left to the water, doesn’t usually go in but leaves you a 40 yard shot straight up hill, and green running away from you, if you niss on the right your under low branched trees on hard pan, have to bounce it up the side of the green, seen many people hit it over the green and down to the water from right. Usually take my 4 and get the hell out of there 

3488C20D-4055-4E5F-AE14-4EE2816F4F97.jpeg

354BC123-C814-4854-9F30-E04B12923541.jpeg

Nice setup.  Cool to see laminates getting some love.  I find they don't play better or worse than persimmons - just different.  Like persimmons you just have to try a bunch of them until you find one that works for you.

Nice wedges too.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I've been looking for the Mizuno Faldo wedges, but I'm not sure they were released in Japan, or if they were, perhaps they had different stampings. Anyway, I've not found one yet.

Wilson knew what they were doing when it came to sand wedges. Some of my favourites.

Man wish you were here I could hook you up with about 3 Mizuno Faldo wedges. Not pristine but playable. I did use the 60 some but the face is too big to suit my eye. Also have a nice Mizuno driver I can not recall the model but nice. I have not hit it yet doubt I ever will in all honesty because I am so in Love with the Jupiter Slugger. All of the Zunos were scrap pile finds. Man would hate to see the cost to ship to Japan it costs enough now to ship within the 48. As for Wilson wedges I have a certain fondness for JPs and believe it or not the cheaper department store Harmonized. Back in the late 70s I bought a repop R-90 new with the faux hickory shaft. Played it until Wilson was wore off the sole and the face concave. I went through several trying to duplicate it and never could and it was stock out of the barrell. The last one I tried I found in good shape at GW with a rotted Winn grip. I bought it and put my last GP Crown Cord on it desperately wanted to create the old magic. Nope did not happen. In fact I gave it to Old School Rocker when he was here because he loved it. Yeah I was not always a 588 man

5 hours ago, Swingingk said:

Nice setup.  Cool to see laminates getting some love.  I find they don't play better or worse than persimmons - just different.  Like persimmons you just have to try a bunch of them until you find one that works for you.

Nice wedges too.

I have a 4300 Staff Laminate that hits good. I have so much stuff I have not hit it in like 10 years or so

5 minutes ago, MachineHack said:

@BIG STU you got any old ping putters or Spaulding TP mills you wanna part with. I need some new projects lol. 

LOL can hook you up--- I was just commenting over on the thread where the guy modified the TP 12 and I have an idea on a TP #9 I have 2 of them. Yeah I have a plethera of Ansers that are too light----  Let me go through the stash

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BIG STU said:

LOL can hook you up--- I was just commenting over on the thread where the guy modified the TP 12 and I have an idea on a TP #9 I have 2 of them. Yeah I have a plethera of Ansers that are too light----  Let me go through the stash

I’ve got a massive rod of tungsten on the way and no putters to put it in lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

That's a very kind thought, but you're right about the shipping costs. I will keep an eye out here, but to be honest, I've been eyeing another Wilson JP SW wedge recently. Didn't bid this time, and it hasn't been re-listed...yet.

Mizuno made some good persimmon drivers, but they tend not to show the fantastic grain of the older American persimmons. The Craft models are among their best, but my favourite is the blondie pictured below (both posted before, but probably lost in the site update).

960429253_MizunoProBlondieface.JPG.6ed4a802d0fd77c0dca8d07daad2af8c.JPG1883669630_MizunoProBlondiecrown.JPG.57d4eae845354e83391ff5db9521ad6f.JPG30557178_MizunoCraftModel951sole.jpg.ce6b64b401b092cf8a37fd551a7b8ee5.jpg132436206_MizunoCraftModel951crown.jpg.c5715f7ced6ea371765f2ef5d3a7360c.jpg1645690424_MizunoCraftModel951face.jpg.a685a8bb4822865af3fa3fdff5fe3794.jpg

I think the Mizuno Driver I have is a craft similar to yours. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

all the old SW that came with the irons sets are nice the 59 dynapower sw is awesome so is the 70 x31 sw, but the best 2 are the fg-51amd the fg-17 that i have

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Swingingk said:

Nice wedges too.

I generally play lams because I find them in playing shape more often, usually just a scrub and a grip, and I dont care if they break because its no big deal, I like this, the ping eye 2, and the hogan lams the best. The wilson 4300, i just tried and do not hit it well, I have an Austad I hit pretty well too, it sets up alot like the hogan

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wham49 said:

all the old SW that came with the irons sets are nice the 59 dynapower sw is awesome so is the 70 x31 sw, but the best 2 are the fg-51amd the fg-17 that i have

I've two or three Wilson sand wedges, but my favourite is the set SW which came with my FG-J8s, which are, I think,  FG-17s stamped for the Japanese market. So it's an FG-17 SW, and yes, it's great.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wham49 said:

Stu I saw you like the JP’s, just found this on vacation in the dollar bin, tell me about it, year, iron set they are attached to, what does the JP stand for

image.jpg

JP was Joe Philipps , and he was the PGATOUR rep for Wilson. So, I assume the JP grinds incorporated feedback from tour players.

Not sure when the JP II wedges came out. I think they were around the same time as the Wilson TK (Tom Kite) wedges, which were about 1985, but I'm really not sure.

EDIT: I think he was more than just the tour rep, but that was one of the things he did. He must have had a hand in design and product development as well.

Also, it should be Joe Phillips, not "Philipps" as I spelt it.

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Wham49 said:

Stu I saw you like the JP’s, just found this on vacation in the dollar bin, tell me about it, year, iron set they are attached to, what does the JP stand for

image.jpg

Forgot to mention, I have a JP sand wedge (NOT JP II) as well.

It's pretty good, but heavy. I think the swing weight is D8 or something. I did measure it a couple of years ago, but I've forgotten the exact number. I haven't played it that much; I should fix that.

1763511679_WilsonJPCustomGrindwedgeback.jpg.9b864de27f0254165a9d1f677dcb3c72.jpg1967481814_WilsonJPCustomGrindwedgeaddress.jpg.eeead54bdfc7aa54b6f0baea7b2e4901.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Forgot to mention, I have a JP sand wedge (NOT JP II) as well.

It's pretty good, but heavy. I think the swing weight is D8 or something. I did measure it a couple of years ago, but I've forgotten the exact number. I haven't played it that much; I should fix that.

1763511679_WilsonJPCustomGrindwedgeback.jpg.9b864de27f0254165a9d1f677dcb3c72.jpg1967481814_WilsonJPCustomGrindwedgeaddress.jpg.eeead54bdfc7aa54b6f0baea7b2e4901.jpg

mine is not too heavy, and other slight differences,

do you know what wedge I found is very heavy is the Tom Watson Scoring system flange, Thought I was going to love it, brought it to the course and hit it very badly, this is not that heavy

17 minutes ago, Wham49 said:

mine is not too heavy, and other slight differences,

do you know what wedge I found is very heavy is the Tom Watson Scoring system flange, Thought I was going to love it, brought it to the course and hit it very badly, this is not that heavy

I found the heavy JP wedge to be good in sand and for shorter pitches, but trying to hit it anything over 80 yards was problematic. I got it to mainly use with my Wilson "Pilgrim" Staff blades, which don't have a SW, but it leaves a big gap between the PW and SW for the PW to cover.

I am thinking of bending it to something like 57* and using it as a sort of lob wedge to go with my usual Wilson SW. That might work out quite well.

150696933_WilsonStaffTourBlades9iback.jpg.61941a08e637804821bf8be5440f96b3.jpg

EDIT: I sidetracked myself looking for that picture. I meant to add that your Tom Watson SS wedges are probably like that. Too much weight throws the swing out.

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Wham49 said:

image.jpg

The came out in the late 80s. Joe Phillips was the chief designer at Wilson. Those wedges never came as stock with a set of clubs. They were a seperately purchased speciality club. They also sprang off a cheaper store line called Harmonized in the Wilson line. And do not let the department store thing turn you off the Harmonized look and hit just as well as a Pro Line JP. Everyone is different and I like them for the weight. Guys like me learned the game with the old heavy wedges and developed my feel with them. Every modern wedge I have picked up stock feels too light to me. The difference I have seen between a JP and JP II is the II has a more rounded toe. In fact your posts and Catchy have inspired me I am going to throw one of my JPs in the Vintage bag for todays dew sweeper round. 

• Like 3

On 7/24/2022 at 9:44 AM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Got out for 9 holes with my daughter today, the first time on the course for me in over a month. I think my game has fallen into a state of "too much practice, not enough play", and it took a few holes to shake that off. I was thinking too much of swing thoughts at first rather than playing the course and hitting the shots.

I bagged the Mac M33s I bought a few weeks ago (posted in the "No New Acquisitions...?" thread, along with Mac Muirfield 20ths, a Mac VIP SW that is a later reissue (I love this club), and a Mac Muirfield putter. Yep, an all Mac bag.

The M33s were OK. I've hit them a little at a range that has soft-ish balls, and found them to be playable but the lies are too flat for me to be really comfortable with.

The M33s weren't the only new clubs in the bag; I also had a Mac Muirfield 20th 2i that I bought recently (head only) and shafted up with a Dynamic Regular shaft that I pulled from a RAM 1i. The shaft is slightly short for a one iron, so a good fit for the 2i.

Putted awfully (me, not the putter), missing lots of makable par-save putts early on and birdie putts later as I found my game. Hit the 2i a couple of times off the deck, once a little heavy and once absolutely nutted. Think this could be a fun club to play.

The real surprise was a Mac Tourney Custom driver that I sneaked in as a 15th club to try on the course. I've had it years, but never felt comfortable enough with it to take it to the course. Shaft is a Precision FM6.5. which I wondered might be a bit too much for me. Today, I hit it on the last two holes and got good results with it. In fact, the one on the last was a thing of beauty. Perfect little fade on a slight dogleg right that split the fairway and ran out beautifully to leave a SW in. Good thing I followed it up by three-putting for a bogey from 15ft😭 Anyway, I'll be using it a lot more in the future.

Stopped off for noodles with my daughter on the way home, which made her very happy. Should have taken some pictures of the food as well. It was delicious🍜

1336748081_WiTPBJuly2022Macbag.jpg.39054d35d0e9511ae6119c06bbf92764.jpg1147480739_WiTPBJuly2022MacMuirfield20ths.jpg.2af6ee4766165109849e0402ee61cb52.jpg235234112_WiTPBJuly2022WoodsMacM33.jpg.2a6c1104b5c89c36b6267bd6e8892587.jpg

Picture from the first tee. Who is this mysterious pro?

2123242005_Firstteefinish.jpg.446d3a62e2aad116c827b36708abc07f.jpg

The Mac Tourney Custom (probably an Eighties model). I may need to fix that hole in the poly finish on the heel.

540312511_MacTourneyCustomdrivercrown.jpg.b37f69c51523a7af7c663c391858036d.jpg854743577_MacTourneycustomface.jpg.858c7a64a1ba83091401266b34f38965.jpg1637772674_MacTourneyCustomsole.jpg.aaf509b456c3130106fc817f54094f4a.jpg

Do you know the old school way of changing lies on a steel shafted Persimmon?  Fold a good towel over your thigh and rub the shaft back and forth creating slight heat. When you get some heat put slight pressure on which direction you want to bend the shaft. Now you will not make drastic changes but slight ones over time. A short cut on this is taking the same towel over the thigh and heat the shaft with a heat gun on low taking time and not melting the whipping. You do have to be patient either way but it works. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Do you know the old school way of changing lies on a steel shafted Persimmon?  Fold a good towel over your thigh and rub the shaft back and forth creating slight heat. When you get some heat put slight pressure on which direction you want to bend the shaft. Now you will not make drastic changes but slight ones over time. A short cut on this is taking the same towel over the thigh and heat the shaft with a heat gun on low taking time and not melting the whipping. You do have to be patient either way but it works. 

I hadn't thought of doing that to adjust the lie, but I have used the same method to straighten an old aluminium shaft that was bent.

Basically, you're bending the shaft, right? 

• Like 1