2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Cool man to see the Macs--- I can tell you those Persimmon Spaldings are one hot tamale. In the late 70s and most of the 80s I carried a Spalding 4 1/2 fairway. I finally cracked it about the Mid 80s or so. Replaced it with an H&B ( not Power Bilt) 4 wood I found in the $5 barrell at a golf store. It was good but not quite as good as the old Spalding. The Spalding was a chance thing. I was putting together a set for temporary use while Insurance settled on my stolen clubs stolen along with the 69 Vette they were in. I had went back to playing my Old Man's set of FC 4000s that he had since new in 62. I still have those irons now and the 4 wood too

Say Stu, what the heck is an H&B if it's not a Power-Bilt?  I'm a bit daft when it comes to H&B I'll freely admit.  😄

1 hour ago, Swingingk said:

Say Stu, what the heck is an H&B if it's not a Power-Bilt?  I'm a bit daft when it comes to H&B I'll freely admit.  😄

That caught my eye, too. I'm curious about this because I saw a persimmon come up for auction recently that had the H&B stamping on the soleplate, but no "PowerBilt" logo. I was wondering if the PowerBilt brand came along later, or something like that?

Edit:just found the listing again. it does have the PowerBilt decal on the crown

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Swingingk said:

It is labeled as a H&B and is usually a store line club. Same company different labeling and marketing target

• Thanks 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

It is labeled as a H&B and is usually a store line club. Same company different labeling and marketing target

Hillerich and Bradsby (H&B) existed in the hickory era before WW1 and we’re a general sporting goods company. They were out of Louisville Kentucky and made the famous Louisville Slugger. They eventually became Powerbilt, I suspect the name was changed as H&B were not considered a quality brand.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hickory4ever said:

Hillerich and Bradsby (H&B) existed in the hickory era before WW1 and we’re a general sporting goods company. They were out of Louisville Kentucky and made the famous Louisville Slugger. They eventually became Powerbilt, I suspect the name was changed as H&B were not considered a quality brand.

H&B was a store line brand but from what I have seen and experienced with them the Quality of the persimmon was just as good. I knew one old hustler that carried a H&B driver for years and he could hit it. 

• Like 1

I played 18 today at Walden CC with the Wilson gooseneck irons and bullseye putter.

I took the Gooseneck sand wedge out for one of the first times, I had just been using a 52 degree vokey as my highest lofted wedge but wanted to start closing the deal around the greens more. For whatever reason I was hitting that sand wedge well today and got up and down a whole bunch of times putting some short chips within 1 putt range and dropping the putts. My tee game with the hybrid was atrocious with lots of lost balls but the irons and wedges were fine and the putter was fantastic. I had a nice birdie on a par 3 with a 4 iron and then a 6 foot putt. Hit several long putts and was lagging the other long ones to tap in distance. I only really left myself with a lot of work to do 2 or 3 times.

I took a old Ping Anser 3 in to the golf shop for a new grip 2 weeks ago since I wasn't seeing the results with the Bullseye I wanted, ever since my putting has been excellent and perhaps the best part of my game. Now I don't want to even pick it up the Bullseye is performing so well.

The rough has gotten really high and tough at the courses around me the last month, add in the morning dew today and if you weren't on the fairway it seemed that just punching back with a 7 iron and getting what you could was the only smart strategy. I lost several shots to trying to force some distance with the hybrid where it just wasn't going to cut through 5" tall grass ...the annoying part being this was only a few feet off the fairway.

Nike Titanium Forged Driver

Louisville Golf 3 & 5 Woods

Ping Eye 2 green dot  3 iron to Sand Wedge

Ping Anser 

Took the Titleist bag in the sig out today for 18.  Drove one par 4 @275 yards.  Lots of good approach shots, but my putter failed with me at the controls. 43/45 for 88 with 6 three putts.

48850053-5046-4D5A-A2A7-D4FE347A78B7.jpeg.1a068dbc6111a4fef15c25292e87259e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4/5 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 6-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore RTX Tour Raw 52/56

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

11 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Took the Titleist bag in the sig out today for 18.  Drove one par 4 @275 yards.  Lots of good approach shots, but my putter failed with me at the controls. 43/45 for 88 with 6 three putts.

48850053-5046-4D5A-A2A7-D4FE347A78B7.jpeg.1a068dbc6111a4fef15c25292e87259e.jpeg

I put confused because it was a up and down round with the putter failure. If you could have eliminated the 3 putts it would have been good. But look at the positive from what I read you struck the ball good

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jiggered said:

A little bit tongue-in-cheek this one, but I enjoyed making it.

"...can't we?"🤣

Interesting video. You hit some great shots with a variety of clubs. It was funny that you striped the Petron blade one-iron, then shanked the cavity-back Fazer 9i. In other words, it boils down to the fact a good swing is a good swing, and a bad swing is a bad swing, no matter what is in your hands.

• Like 3

On 6/30/2022 at 9:36 PM, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Just got these irons in on a trade. 1966-68 Spalding Elite Stainless.

1964 Top Flite Synchro Dyned Driver and 3w.  5B1B67F7-3CB3-4F2A-A40D-49450EAE786E.jpeg.339e7e1ae5c199cc099316d5383937fc.jpeg2D19E1AE-54F0-4E55-A8AE-3CEE98A77A3B.jpeg.fcf3d4f5d48e2df54ea31cf56a56ec00.jpeg

Great irons I played a set of those in the 333 custom version for years. In fact they were the first clubs I purchased with my own money. I think I have a standard set like yours over in the building I think they are missing the PW and 5 iron though.

• Like 1

Played 9 at my home course this AM with the FCs and Slugger driver. It was very wet CPO. Can not really give a score because I played several balls because it was an experimental round. And far as pure vintage I sorta cheated. Had 2 different shafted V-Steel 5 woods in the bag along with a 258 58* Vokey. I am on the fence on the 5 woods. The 258 is a go. It will go in the main bag for this week. The sleeper on this deal was the TP Mills Spalding #7 which is 8802 style. Decided yesterday afternoon to throw it into the bag. Threw a grip on it. Our greens are getting in good shape and I really putted good with it and it has a great feel too. Somehow naturally like I used to do used a conventional grip with a Nicklaus type crouch. Our greens were rolling well and I felt comfortable more comfortable than I have felt over the ball with the putter in hand for some time. Going to use it and the Vokey some more this week weather permitting and make a decision for Saturday. I am also getting used to the Slugger and hitting it well. Really a fun and productive day for me

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Played 9 at my home course this AM with the FCs and Slugger driver. It was very wet CPO. Can not really give a score because I played several balls because it was an experimental round. And far as pure vintage I sorta cheated. Had 2 different shafted V-Steel 5 woods in the bag along with a 258 58* Vokey. I am on the fence on the 5 woods. The 258 is a go. It will go in the main bag for this week. The sleeper on this deal was the TP Mills Spalding #7 which is 8802 style. Decided yesterday afternoon to throw it into the bag. Threw a grip on it. Our greens are getting in good shape and I really putted good with it and it has a great feel too. Somehow naturally like I used to do used a conventional grip with a Nicklaus type crouch. Our greens were rolling well and I felt comfortable more comfortable than I have felt over the ball with the putter in hand for some time. Going to use it and the Vokey some more this week weather permitting and make a decision for Saturday. I am also getting used to the Slugger and hitting it well. Really a fun and productive day for me

I've a 60* Vokey that I think is from the same time as yours. Instead of 258, it's 260. It's a custom model that I picked up secondhand for not very much at all, probably because it's not conforming, but that doesn't bother me. It's in the modern bag at the moment, in fact. Great wedge. 

464439377_Vokey60Rawback.jpg.bff2efa201591612d073fa1fa3fcce49.jpg1807188382_Vokey60RawAddress.jpg.33db1046287352fc63a9117a47aa0e27.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I've a 60* Vokey that I think is from the same time as yours. Instead of 258, it's 260. It's a custom model that I picked up secondhand for not very much at all, probably because it's not conforming, but that doesn't bother me. It's in the modern bag at the moment, in fact. Great wedge. 

464439377_Vokey60Rawback.jpg.bff2efa201591612d073fa1fa3fcce49.jpg1807188382_Vokey60RawAddress.jpg.33db1046287352fc63a9117a47aa0e27.jpg

Same era slightly different design and as you said non conforming. Mine has a little pedigree it was once owned by PGA Tour player Dicky Pride. Believe it or not I found that and a 54 in a bag of old clubs in a junk car at work. I know Dicky and ran into him one day when they played the Monday after The Masters here. They are stamped "DP". I showed them to him and he confirmed they were once his. Next question "where did you get them?" I told him and he shook his head. It has the big brown spot not in the center but more to the heel. I am trying to find the 54 it is somewhere in the shop in the jumble. I do not care about mine being conforming or not either since I do not keep a stipulated handicap or play comp any more

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Same era slightly different design and as you said non conforming. Mine has a little pedigree it was once owned by PGA Tour player Dicky Pride. Believe it or not I found that and a 54 in a bag of old clubs in a junk car at work. I know Dicky and ran into him one day when they played the Monday after The Masters here. They are stamped "DP". I showed them to him and he confirmed they were once his. Next question "where did you get them?" I told him and he shook his head. It has the big brown spot not in the center but more to the heel. I am trying to find the 54 it is somewhere in the shop in the jumble. I do not care about mine being conforming or not either since I do not keep a stipulated handicap or play comp any more

Nice. Tour issue, no less.

Yep, if I played in official comps and stuff, I wouldn't play that Vokey, but I only play casually with friends, and they don't care what I'm bagging.

I'd actually like to acquire an official handicap, just so I could compare my current self with my Junior self.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Nice. Tour issue, no less.

Yep, if I played in official comps and stuff, I wouldn't play that Vokey, but I only play casually with friends, and they don't care what I'm bagging.

I'd actually like to acquire an official handicap, just so I could compare my current self with my Junior self.

Well you can do a handicap but some rules Natzis will say that it may not be official because you used "non conforming" clubs. I have not ran into it in person but have had some snide remarks here on WRX. I do keep a somewhat unofficial handicap both with my semi new stuff and one strictly vintage. A friend of mine who has physical challenges but is a brain on computers does mine and a few others. I keep mine strictly for my own use. 

I do not play any handicap events or comps anymore. The only "comps" I play in are our Saturday Shootouts and the 9 and Dines. Our men's groups use handicaps but IMHO ( not sounding like a rules Natzi) they are not legit they do not play the traps and they always have ball in hand. I do not play with them nor desire to for that and other reasons. 

LOL the Men's groups there are 3 or 4 of them have their own rules and comittees and the staff at the course stays out of it. Women's groups are the same way. The men will not play in any of the Beach combined events with the groups from other clubs because there they do play by the rules mostly.

Me I do my own thing and do not care what others do. And I will admit in the Shootout I will sneak a balata or wound ball in on a short wedge approach shot. But yeah I think a handicap in your case would be a good thing for you

Playing my Dad’s refurbed ‘74 MTs on Thursday for my birthday round at Harbor Town.  Been striking them brilliantly as of late.  Can’t wait!

• Like 3

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° AMT Black S300 | SM9 56° 60° S300 | Toulon Garage Memphis

12 hours ago, Hickory4ever said:

I think that far to much is made about a handicap as if it is some holy grail. It is meant to be a means for players of different skill levels to compete against each other, nothing more and is not in any way perfect.

I like Stu play what I want and enjoy it and don’t care what other people think. I play clubs from three eras every week. I have two official handicaps with Golf Canada, one for modern equipment and one for hickory equipment. If you are interested, the difference between the two is roughly 4 points, largely driven by the shorter tees played. If I played my modern set more, my modern handicap would likely be less than 1 point lower.

As far as comparing my current self (68) to my earlier self, I have a pretty good idea. In 1980 when I was 26, I could hit my Wilson Staff 2 iron 215-200. Today the same club (with a regular shaft) gives me approximately 175. My first generation TM Driver of 1980 is 40-50 yards longer than today, no surprise. I tend to play appropriate tees for the clubs from each era and the scores are almost the same, that is a better measure in my opinion than using handicap.

Again, I see far too many people wearing their handicap like they are something special, I do not see it that way. As far as the difference from 40 years ago, the difference is probably 3 to 4 points, largely driven by my shorter length, not surprising. For what it’s worth, resisting Father Time is a futile and frustrating experience. My recommendation is enjoy your golf game, play what you want and have fun.

I now have to get ready to play in a couple hours. I just acquired a nice set of early 70’s Haig Ultras that are begging to be played and there are some new to me period woods ready to go. I embrace the challenge and hope to win a loonie ($1) from my friend who will be playing 74’ Hogan Directors and period woods. 

I don't disagree, and I was a little light in my explanation in my previous post. My old handicap was based on medal scores only (back tees), such was the old British system. Now the system has changed (and Japan has adopted the new system this year, I believe), and I want to compare how my handicap would work out under the new system compared to the old system. 

There are three other reasons I'd like a handicap: 1), to have an official handicap which is sometimes necessary to get onto fancy courses (not that common, admittedly), 2) to have some tangible information on the current state of my game, whether I'm improving or not, 3) to play some proper competitive golf, which I miss.

As for the state of my game back then compared to now, I think about that all the time. Instead of comparing it to how far I hit the ball back then compared to now, I like to consider the quality of each part of my game (I use "quality" here because I can't think of a better word, but I'm sure there is one. 

So here it is:

Driver: I was a better driver 30+ years ago than I am now. My driving consistency has dropped in the last few years. 

Fairway woods: better now, be it with modern fairways (V-steel is modern, right?) or persimmons. However, there's a reason for this: my old fairways, which I still have back in the UK, were ladies' clubs. I only noticed this a few years ago when I was looking for my old sticks. The shafts were too soft me.

Irons: Probably the least change. Perhaps slightly better with mid irons now, but was better with long irons back in the day.

Wedges (50 yards and out): better back in the day. Had a better eye for distance.

Wedges (50 yards in): Better now, and it's not even close. Used to chunk everything around the greens. I'm still not great, but decent enough.

Bunkers: Biggest improvement, and again it's not even close. About 7~8 years ago, I learnt how to properly use the bounce on a sand wedge.

Putting: I was terrible back then, and I'm terrible today. Consistently awful.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I don't disagree, and I was a little light in my explanation in my previous post. My old handicap was based on medal scores only (back tees), such was the old British system. Now the system has changed (and Japan has adopted the new system this year, I believe), and I want to compare how my handicap would work out under the new system compared to the old system. 

There are three other reasons I'd like a handicap: 1), to have an official handicap which is sometimes necessary to get onto fancy courses (not that common, admittedly), 2) to have some tangible information on the current state of my game, whether I'm improving or not, 3) to play some proper competitive golf, which I miss.

As for the state of my game back then compared to now, I think about that all the time. Instead of comparing it to how far I hit the ball back then compared to now, I like to consider the quality of each part of my game (I use "quality" here because I can't think of a better word, but I'm sure there is one. 

So here it is:

Driver: I was a better driver 30+ years ago than I am now. My driving consistency has dropped in the last few years. 

Fairway woods: better now, be it with modern fairways (V-steel is modern, right?) or persimmons. However, there's a reason for this: my old fairways, which I still have back in the UK, were ladies' clubs. I only noticed this a few years ago when I was looking for my old sticks. The shafts were too soft me.

Irons: Probably the least change. Perhaps slightly better with mid irons now, but was better with long irons back in the day.

Wedges (50 yards and out): better back in the day. Had a better eye for distance.

Wedges (50 yards in): Better now, and it's not even close. Used to chunk everything around the greens. I'm still not great, but decent enough.

Bunkers: Biggest improvement, and again it's not even close. About 7~8 years ago, I learnt how to properly use the bounce on a sand wedge.

Putting: I was terrible back then, and I'm terrible today. Consistently awful.

I understand your reason for wanting a handicap for most of the reasons you have listed except for using it as a measure of your game. The score does not tell the whole story as one or more elements can be skewing your results. 

In the past ten years or so, my handicap has risen by 1-2 points which taken on its own is misleading. I am now 68 years old, have a bad right knee that requires a special brace and both factors have reduced the distance I hit the ball. 

I believe the only way to realistically evaluate your play is to examine each element of your game as you have done in your post. 

Despite a slow rise in handicap, I believe I am a better overall player because I have become more consistent in almost every part of my game. I just don’t hit it as far and that is not going to change and chasing speed at my age is futile.

I break my game down into several elements and evaluate their impact. The elements I keep a close eye on are driving accuracy, putting and short game performance. I also like to examine the card after the round to determine how I perform on the par 3’s, 4’s and 5’s.

I now strive to play what my friends call “boring old man golf”. I am a more accurate driver of the ball because I play within my constraints. My short game is much better and putting has remained the best part of my game.

If you are an aging golfer like me, make sure that you are playing the appropriate tees. If you are hitting FW or hybrids into the majority of par 4’s, your on the wrong deck.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Hickory4ever said:

I understand your reason for wanting a handicap for most of the reasons you have listed except for using it as a measure of your game. The score does not tell the whole story as one or more elements can be skewing your results. 

In the past ten years or so, my handicap has risen by 1-2 points which taken on its own is misleading. I am now 68 years old, have a bad right knee that requires a special brace and both factors have reduced the distance I hit the ball. 

I believe the only way to realistically evaluate your play is to examine each element of your game as you have done in your post. 

Despite a slow rise in handicap, I believe I am a better overall player because I have become more consistent in almost every part of my game. I just don’t hit it as far and that is not going to change and chasing speed at my age is futile.

I break my game down into several elements and evaluate their impact. The elements I keep a close eye on are driving accuracy, putting and short game performance. I also like to examine the card after the round to determine how I perform on the par 3’s, 4’s and 5’s.

I now strive to play what my friends call “boring old man golf”. I am a more accurate driver of the ball because I play within my constraints. My short game is much better and putting has remained the best part of my game.

If you are an aging golfer like me, make sure that you are playing the appropriate tees. If you are hitting FW or hybrids into the majority of par 4’s, your on the wrong deck.

I certainly agree that examining each element of one's game is important to understanding the state of one's golf game. However, I think keeping a handicap provides another metric, as it reflects one's ability to manage one's score.

Full confession, though. I'm not particularly bothered about keeping a handicap to track my score and say "Oh, I was better three years ago than now." I want to use it to follow my progress each season. I have a tendency to block out my bad scores and remember my good ones. A handicap would help me see objectively how I am doing over the course of a few months.

In other words, it's just another tool to track the state of my game. I see it more as a short-term (seasonal) evaluator than a long-term one because as you say there are a lot of other factors that affect the state of one's game, two of the biggest being Father Time and Old Mother Health.

I sound like the Queen of England in that first paragraph. So many "one's"...

• Haha 1

LOL did 18 holes today with the vintage set up. The course was extremely wet. I was going to do just 9 but when I came in on the turn over half of the Mens Group did not show up so WTF I did 9 more. Started at darn near daylight about 06:45. Did ok on the back side shot 39 +3. Our front side was a little difficult. It plays difficult anyhow. Had some standing water and did not get any roll out. Being CPO I did start to get tired. The 2 par 5s on that side are really difficult and I knew standing on the tee I would be lucky to get home in 3. No roll out at all. Ended up with 43 +7 on that side. 82 for the day which was not bad considering. With all the rain we have been having they have not cut the roughs and it was tough about ankle high. In fact on #4 a par 5 I actually hit it on the line I intended and just smoked it and got into the rough. LOL had to chop it out with the 8 iron which even if it had been in the fairway I would have had to lay it up I could not have carried the creek even with the 3 wood. I did not putt well but not bad either. Used my Repop Ironmaster with the steel glass shaft. That putter is a little light for me. Left like 4 putts on line but short. Yeah it was a challenging day but fun to say the least. I liked the TP Mills #7 I used Monday so much I put it in the main bag for Saturday play. I think my next putter to try will be a Bulls Eye I totally love. Did sorta borderline cheat as far as vintage I had the BECU Zing Lob wedge WRXer Cardoustie gave me when he was here. Use it twice when I shortsided myself on the front side. Worked well and it is a hoot to hit. Supposed to have more rain coming in Thursday and Friday. Told one of my Shootout partners if we got that rain the course may be darn near unplayable Saturday. We needed the rain and it has really helped our course

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

LOL did 18 holes today with the vintage set up. The course was extremely wet. I was going to do just 9 but when I came in on the turn over half of the Mens Group did not show up so WTF I did 9 more. Started at darn near daylight about 06:45. Did ok on the back side shot 39 +3. Our front side was a little difficult. It plays difficult anyhow. Had some standing water and did not get any roll out. Being CPO I did start to get tired. The 2 par 5s on that side are really difficult and I knew standing on the tee I would be lucky to get home in 3. No roll out at all. Ended up with 43 +7 on that side. 82 for the day which was not bad considering. With all the rain we have been having they have not cut the roughs and it was tough about ankle high. In fact on #4 a par 5 I actually hit it on the line I intended and just smoked it and got into the rough. LOL had to chop it out with the 8 iron which even if it had been in the fairway I would have had to lay it up I could not have carried the creek even with the 3 wood. I did not putt well but not bad either. Used my Repop Ironmaster with the steel glass shaft. That putter is a little light for me. Left like 4 putts on line but short. Yeah it was a challenging day but fun to say the least. I liked the TP Mills #7 I used Monday so much I put it in the main bag for Saturday play. I think my next putter to try will be a Bulls Eye I totally love. Did sorta borderline cheat as far as vintage I had the BECU Zing Lob wedge WRXer Cardoustie gave me when he was here. Use it twice when I shortsided myself on the front side. Worked well and it is a hoot to hit. Supposed to have more rain coming in Thursday and Friday. Told one of my Shootout partners if we got that rain the course may be darn near unplayable Saturday. We needed the rain and it has really helped our course

Tough conditions for persimmon. I find a good hit with persimmon driver can get near a good hit with modern driver, but that the modern driver carries further, whereas the persimmon driver gets more rollout (lower ball flight, more rollout). So if the fairways are wet, the course to going to play a lot longer with persimmon woods than modern gear.

In fact, when the fairways are soft, I find a 2w or 3w better off the tee because I can get the same or more carry than with a driver.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Tough conditions for persimmon. I find a good hit with persimmon driver can get near a good hit with modern driver, but that the modern driver carries further, whereas the persimmon driver gets more rollout (lower ball flight, more rollout). So if the fairways are wet, the course to going to play a lot longer with persimmon woods than modern gear.

In fact, when the fairways are soft, I find a 2w or 3w better off the tee because I can get the same or more carry than with a driver.

You are correct--- I have several 2 woods I could have used including a Cloverleaf Mac I am extremely fond of. But I am still learning my Jupiter Slugger and have fell in love with it since I have finally gotten one after wanting one for darn near 50 years. I was getting good height for me with my swing restrictions using those Master Grip balls and some wound Maxfli DDH. But where ever it hit there it stayed. I hit a bunch of solid WHAACK shots with it yesterday. It may seem odd I find days like yesterday challenging and savor in it. Usually the score for me does not matter I just did it yesterday to see for myself what I could do under the conditions with the old stuff. I think I could have done better with another putter. That IM reproduction is really light and I had putts on line but short. It is such a beautiful putter I will be dammed if I will put lead tape on it. But I did accomplish 2 things I wanted to do get comfortable over the ball again and hitting putts on line. It is raining to beat the band right now and our course can not take any more water and be playable. I doubt they open up this morning. But we needed the rain. Part of my vintage fun is using putters in my stash I have not used before. I figure if I can get comfortable over the ball and hit it on line with any putter then I am ok. I think for the next vintage round when ever it will be I will have my beloved Honey Gold colored Bulls Eye or Wilson Augusta in the bag

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

I think I could have done better with another putter. That IM reproduction is really light and I had putts on line but short. It is such a beautiful putter I will be dammed if I will put lead tape on it. 

I can't believe it! BIG STU has found a club even he refuses to put lead tape on!

Is this one of the signs of the Apocalypse?🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I can't believe it! BIG STU has found a club even he refuses to put lead tape on!

Is this one of the signs of the Apocalypse?🤣

Shocking there are actually 2 that putter and my Hickory Shafted Otey Calamity Jane

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, MachineHack said:

Just let me drill some holes in it and smack some tungsten in@BIG STUno need for lead tape 😉 

Actually that would not be a bad thing on the Mac--- I have in the past seen the old school version of drilling holes and melting lead in. But doing that would not come as close to an exact science as the way you do it. Knew a guy back in the day that was a master craftsman when it came to clubs period. If he put a cracked persimmon wood back together with dowels he drilled and measured how much wood he drilled out and closely duplicated the weight with the dowels and epoxy. I have an uncanny sense of feel and he did a beloved Power Bilt persimmon driver that had cracked on me. I could not tell the difference afterward.

• Like 3