Rounds with a Vintage Bag

1 hour ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

I wanted to give new to me HB (Heavy Blade) Bullseye a workout and see what I thought about it ...   2,6,7,8,9,11 from the ‘54 Top Flites I posted in another thread about shaft pitting and my ‘63 Top Flite “spade face” Sand Club.  Also, added a refinished 1954 Top Flite 3w. 

I like seeing that 10 iron in the bag. The concept always makes me smile. Those '54s are pretty, too.

But what did you think of the Bullseye? Do you credit it with scoring well? 

Edited by Brian1862
typo
  • Like 1

All Spalding_logo.png.e803fdccfa3e9c20a13bba147734de83.pngall the time

1956 Top-Flite persimmon Model 84 woods (Driver,3,4)

1955 Top-Flite stainless synchro-dyned irons (2-9)

1955 Top-Flite stainless Tournament Model 10 iron (PW) and wedge (SW)

1955 Cash-In rocker putter

If you want forgiveness go to church … old man [Spalding] will not forgive you - Big Stu's Old Man

1 hour ago, Brian1862 said:

I like seeing that 10 iron in the bag. The concept always makes me smile. Those '54s are pretty, too.

But what did you think of the Bullseye? Do you credit it with scoring well? 

Good question!!

The round I scored best on I actually didn’t have many difficult putts.   But I’m still going to say the putter helped as to after the 1st round, which was rather shakey I settled down some and finally has some confidence when standing over the ball.  Early this week I was walking up the green thinking “this is a par putt, but you will blow it”. 

Its quite possible the putter change is all mental!

• Like 2

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

11 hours ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

The past month my putting has been very bad so last weekend after having a few cocktails on the porch I learned Monday morning I ordered a handful of old John Reuter Bullseyes.  

I wanted to give new to me HB (Heavy Blade) Bullseye a workout and see what I thought about it.  So this morning I booked an 8am tee time at the local par 3 and grabbed some other clubs to round out the bag.  2,6,7,8,9,11 from the ‘54 Top Flites I posted in another thread about shaft pitting and my ‘63 Top Flite “spade face” Sand Club.  Also, added a refinished 1954 Top Flite 3w. 

I have mentioned in other posts I have a dead mint seat of ‘54s Top Flites and the pitted shaft set was meant to be the one I play more.  There is something about those ‘54 blades that just feel right. I’m not sure what it is but I can hit a ball, feel what I did wrong, and correct it with a follow up way more easier than most of the vintage blades I play.  Oddly these have stiff shafts as well which I tend to avoid.  Both sets I have I’m learning I really enjoy playing. 

I went around the course 4 times.  All year I’ve had a low score that I have matched a few times but not beat. 

Well today I beat it by a stroke.  My ugliest set of clubs that I keep in the garage now have a special place in my collection.  62C080DF-986E-4586-85CB-66B85D82BF0B.jpeg.b81ab77faf4b30f7000bf351415d97cd.jpegB53809CF-868F-4115-A7EE-68CDD16F2DFE.jpeg.4f80ac21015188a3154311cc18c66627.jpeg

I like rusty ugly old clubs. Battle tried and true veterans. Our course has been so wet lately I have not played true vintage this week. Been playing the signature set. I am a digger by nature I even take divots with the 3 7 & 9 woods. As wet as it has been lately it has been frustrating. By nature I hit a low stinger shot even with persimmon so I do not get a huge carry but great roll out as long as the course is not soaked. I quit after 7 holes yesterday because it was extremely wet and of course CPO. With all the wetness I had hit a lot of what I call fat shots this week. Frankly I had gotten frustrated then realized I was harming myself trying to go un natural for me shallow. I sat back as I often do on the dew sweeper rounds and relaxed and pondered smoking a cigar and drinking a bottled water. I remember in my gambling and comp days I would not play on a sogged course. I remember withdrawing from an event because the course was so soggy. I think they played like 4 holes that day and suspended play. The director called me at home and said if I wanted I was back in I could come back the next day. I thanked him and told him I lived 100 miles away and it was not worth it to me to come back. I went up on a knoll at my course that is usually hardpan with grass. I sailed about 10 shag balls back down the fairway with my FWs and hit them fine. Yep a digger is not good on a really soaked course. Right now we are getting rain in Biblical proportions because we have a hurricane about 1000 miles away in the ocean and we are getting spin off from it. It will not hit us per say though. Looks like rain for most of next week. Told the staff I would more than likely see them after next week. I will keep my swing loose hitting into my net at the house. 

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

9 hours ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Good question!!

The round I scored best on I actually didn’t have many difficult putts.   But I’m still going to say the putter helped as to after the 1st round, which was rather shakey I settled down some and finally has some confidence when standing over the ball.  Early this week I was walking up the green thinking “this is a par putt, but you will blow it”. 

Its quite possible the putter change is all mental!

I will concede this a Bulls Eye will give you feedback and feel and you can tell right off what is wrong most of the time. I practice and train with either my Standard or my flanged one quite a bit. 

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I like rusty ugly old clubs. Battle tried and true veterans. Our course has been so wet lately I have not played true vintage this week. Been playing the signature set. I am a digger by nature I even take divots with the 3 7 & 9 woods. As wet as it has been lately it has been frustrating. By nature I hit a low stinger shot even with persimmon so I do not get a huge carry but great roll out as long as the course is not soaked. I quit after 7 holes yesterday because it was extremely wet and of course CPO. With all the wetness I had hit a lot of what I call fat shots this week. Frankly I had gotten frustrated then realized I was harming myself trying to go un natural for me shallow. I sat back as I often do on the dew sweeper rounds and relaxed and pondered smoking a cigar and drinking a bottled water. I remember in my gambling and comp days I would not play on a sogged course. I remember withdrawing from an event because the course was so soggy. I think they played like 4 holes that day and suspended play. The director called me at home and said if I wanted I was back in I could come back the next day. I thanked him and told him I lived 100 miles away and it was not worth it to me to come back. I went up on a knoll at my course that is usually hardpan with grass. I sailed about 10 shag balls back down the fairway with my FWs and hit them fine. Yep a digger is not good on a really soaked course. Right now we are getting rain in Biblical proportions because we have a hurricane about 1000 miles away in the ocean and we are getting spin off from it. It will not hit us per say though. Looks like rain for most of next week. Told the staff I would more than likely see them after next week. I will keep my swing loose hitting into my net at the house. 

I also like clubs with special “character” with a healthy dose of patina (rust). My favourite hickory play clubs are a mixed set of all stars and I like them with the rusty look. Many of my friends like to shine them up, I prefer the blue collar look as they are my tools.

Yesterday was our usual Hickory Friday with gorgeous weather. My 79 was good for second place. There will be several vintage rounds this week using clubs from hickory to classic.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Hickory4ever said:

I also like clubs with special “character” with a healthy dose of patina (rust). My favourite hickory play clubs are a mixed set of all stars and I like them with the rusty look. Many of my friends like to shine them up, I prefer the blue collar look as they are my tools.

Yesterday was our usual Hickory Friday with gorgeous weather. My 79 was good for second place. There will be several vintage rounds this week using clubs from hickory to classic.

You and @BIG STU might be onto something with the more weathered looking clubs.

I find GREAT joy in finding 50-60 year old sets of irons or woods in near mint condition.  I think it's cool to look at them and think "wow, this survived all these years!"

Still considering myself new to the game my first thoughts are the cleaner sets must play better and less wear and tear would have to be a good thing? 

I'm finding beauty is in the eye of the beholder more and more and we need rely on our skills first before a particular club makes the game better for us.  Sort of like the golfers on who constantly buy the newest in hopes of buying a better game.

It took one decent round with this more aged set to really look at them and think "wow, not only are these great playing clubs, but the show their history that they had been for someone else."

This might be a new reason to collect. lol. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Hickory4ever said:

LOL my strictly vintage bag is a mix in all eras----- Mix of Penna and Macgregor woods and the Penna has a factory graphite shaft. Irons usually are my beloved FC 4000s and Ping wedges. Putter can be anything from my hickory shafted Ottey to a Ping Anser or Zing. I also carry my hickory shafted Mac Jigger it is a blast to chip with. Depending on my mood at the time it may be 12 clubs in the bag or sometmes 15 or 16. I do not care it is all kicks and giggles for me

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Took a half set of Dynapowers out for the first time this year.  1966.  1964 Top Flite Sand Iron. 1954-5 Top Flite 83 brassie. 1930s Iron Masters. 
6A40829C-B843-4535-AF95-86D43797AEA4.jpeg.c749c33d1cab9de0623af259b04e1fc3.jpegAE2539DA-3DE2-4B1C-9A52-27AE55246FBF.jpeg.00f4668745c93d34811286c0202fbd4d.jpegD100931C-4634-4A0B-AC9B-44C1667CF4DB.jpeg.ec5a84045e4612a98b27e07b11fe52f1.jpeg

That's a classy little outfit.  Excellent choice of clubs.  Everything you need is right there.  Is that a Jones bag?

• Like 1

On 9/16/2022 at 10:44 PM, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Good eye!  Jones Original I believe it’s called the “Bomber”

Yep it is a Jones Original--- The "Bomber" is all black but it is the same bag and for some reason they charge like $20 more for the black bomber

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Yep it is a Jones Original--- The "Bomber" is all black but it is the same bag and for some reason they charge like $20 more for the black bomber

I can't remember what mine was called now!  And it appears to be off their website.  It has the same "leather-look vinyl" that the black bomber has.  That's where the upcharge is I guess.  I got a deal on it during Black Friday 2020.  It's near 200 rounds now and it's holding up nicely.  The long inside zipper has long since broken but I don't think that's needed if you aren't using that long pocket.

• Like 2

Nice clubs and good photos @cold_war_era_golfer

I played the front 9 at Walden Country Club in Crofton, MD with a half set , 4/6/8/W, of my new to me Wilson Tour Blades (1980) and a X31 Wilson 4300 laminated 4 wood I grabbed from Goodwill for $3.

Shaft has a S on the label so I assume stiff but it doesn’t play especially stiff , I actually get a higher ball flight than I would like off the tee with it. I may try my older Wilson Stratabloc 3 wood next time with this set off the tee on the longer holes I am only getting 170-175 max from the 4 wood. 

I shot a 45, 2 pars / 2 doubles / 5 singles. Lipped out a couple putts that could have made it better. On the green from the tee with the blade 4 iron on the 175 yard par 3 and with the 6 iron from the 150 yard hole. 

First time I had played these Staff Tour Blades on a course , they play similar to my Gooseneck blades. Maybe a touch less distance with the stiff steel shaft vs graphite on the Goosenecks. Definitely a smaller head on the 4 and 6 iron in the Tour Blade vs the gooseneck but doesn’t bother me. 

• Like 3

Nike Titanium Forged Driver

Louisville Golf 3 & 5 Woods

Ping Eye 2 green dot  3 iron to Sand Wedge

Ping Anser 

ISI nickels out for 9 last night…

going to leave them in the bag Friday Saturday Sunday and decide whether to use Tuesday in Pro-3Am tournament.

oh, and nickel anser putter too

Edited by pingfool
  • Like 3

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

Pfft, played 9 holes in the slowest 3 hours of my life.  A truly unfavorable test condition, as any rhythm went out the window waiting on every shot.  Needless to

say, @15 over, I bowed out and went for some food to lick my wounds. Truly horrific showing.

I hit a large bucket on the range beforehand and they seemed fine.  As usual with older tech, they were a club shy of the new stuff.

ETA: Otey putter was awesome for feel and feedback.

Edited by SnowbirdTom

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Taylormade MG4 52/56 wedges

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

6 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Pfft, played 9 holes in the slowest 3 hours of my life.  A truly unfavorable test condition, as any rhythm went out the window waiting on every shot.  Needless to

say, @15 over, I bowed out and went for some food to lick my wounds. Truly horrific showing.

I hit a large bucket on the range beforehand and they seemed fine.  As usual with older tech, they were a club shy of the new stuff.

ETA: Otey putter was awesome for feel and feedback.

I feel your pain! I've had to "enjoy" some slow rounds recently, including one which took around 7 hours as there was a one-hour break for lunch before the back nine.

It's very difficult to maintain a good groove when it's that slow, and it's not much fun waiting 15 minutes to hit a shot. Golf's supposed to fun; slow golf isn't.

• Like 3

Sunday afternoon with the Wilson bag of  Julius Boros’ planned at Longwood GC in Cypress, TX.  Figuring on 9, but hoping for 18. 

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Taylormade MG4 52/56 wedges

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

Didn’t get to play any rounds, but got 2 days of range work and snuck out my regripped retro half set! Very excited to get these out in the course, we’ll see how manageable the top gap is

Half Set Make Up:

- 975F 14.5° 3 wood with s300

- 4, 6, 8 Wilson Staff Tour Blades with Dynamic stiff

- Vokey 50 oil can

- Vokey 58

CEF33DCB-9FA8-44D3-8020-E1B33E92513E.jpeg

Edited by chazpet
  • Like 4

On 10/7/2022 at 9:04 PM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I feel your pain! I've had to "enjoy" some slow rounds recently, including one which took around 7 hours as there was a one-hour break for lunch before the back nine.

It's very difficult to maintain a good groove when it's that slow, and it's not much fun waiting 15 minutes to hit a shot. Golf's supposed to fun; slow golf isn't.

Yeah it is getting that way now that Fall Snowbird season is starting here. Normally that is the reason I play my daylight dew sweeper rounds before our normal Mens Groups tee off. Now I had an old friend down for a couple of days this week. He did not want to get up early to do the dew sweeper thing. Being a full fledged member I can bump back non members 15 minutes on any tee time. We went out Monday at 9:30 and caught things perfectly and played 36 in like 7 hours. Tuesday we got 9:00 and it went to crap took 5 1/2 hours to play 18 and we quit. Our course is not rangered per say. The Snowbirds in general do not have any etiquette and have a sense of entitlement. The course per say is counting money so they do not say anything. But deep down I do not mind it per say because after all they are in the business to make money and if they make money it keeps our Membership rates and food rates down year round. I had a busy morning yesterday and my friend had went back home. I did get to the course about 2:00 and played 9 by myself in like 2 hrs being held up some. I did have one group let me through ( shocker) got to a log jam on #8 with a Snowbird explaining to me what I was seeing going on. I told him no problem that I lived one mile away and was a full time member and I could wait or I could quit no skin off my butt. I can play anytime I want to since I am retired. LOL you could see the scowl. His bud trying to be a smart aleck said he bet people like me did not like Snowbirds. I told him not so much but they did keep our rates down reasonable and like I said I can play any time I desire weather permitting

Edited by BIG STU
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Yeah it is getting that way now that Fall Snowbird season is starting here. Normally that is the reason I play my daylight dew sweeper rounds before our normal Mens Groups tee off. Now I had an old friend down for a couple of days this week. He did not want to get up early to do the dew sweeper thing. Being a full fledged member I can bump back non members 15 minutes on any tee time. We went out Monday at 9:30 and caught things perfectly and played 36 in like 7 hours. Tuesday we got 9:00 and it went to crap took 5 1/2 hours to play 18 and we quit. Our course is not rangered per say. The Snowbirds in general do not have any etiquette and have a sense of entitlement. The course per say is counting money so they do not say anything. But deep down I do not mind it per say because after all they are in the business to make money and if they make money it keeps our Membership rates and food rates down year round. I had a busy morning yesterday and my friend had went back home. I did get to the course about 2:00 and played 9 by myself in like 2 hrs being held up some. I did have one group let me through ( shocker) got to a log jam on #8 with a Snowbird explaining to me what I was seeing going on. I told him no problem that I lived one mile away and was a full time member and I could wait or I could quit no skin off my butt. I can play anytime I want to since I am retired. LOL you could see the scowl. His bud trying to be a smart aleck said he bet people like me did not like Snowbirds. I told him not so much but they did keep our rates down reasonable and like I said I can play any time I desire weather permitting

I bet telling the Snowbird that they help keep your rates down hurt him the most!🤣

36 holes in 7 hours? Now that's what I like!

• Haha 1