Rounds with a Vintage Bag

On 1/3/2023 at 10:16 AM, SnowbirdTom said:

Took the Ping Eye 2s out for a twirl today.

those will stand up to almost any conditions.  Good on you, Sir!

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

PLEASE all who can feel free to post as many pictures as possible so us less fortunate can live vicariously through you all! Maybe some panoramic stuff even. 

May the golf gods look on you favorably and if they don’t “a bad day on the golf course is better than……”

Minnesota this morning. I’m sure there’s other people that have it worse than I. On a positive note maybe only 75 more days if we’re really lucky till golfing is possible again here. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ezgoer said:

Minnesota this morning

Fellow Minnesotan here.  Feel your pain.

I've used my snowblower twice due to this storm, and looks like #3 is on tap.  Ugh.

Thinking I will need a trip or two to some indoor golf facilities in the next couple weeks for my sanity...

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Really cool, what a small world. Just finished up another before heading to work. Only 2 rounds for me but wife and kids did at least 1 also. Hopefully last one for a bit. At least we aren’t in Buffalo NY! 
 Where about in MN are you metro or out state? Wonder if our golf course paths ever cross?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ezgoer said:

Really cool, what a small world. Just finished up another before heading to work. Only 2 rounds for me but wife and kids did at least 1 also. Hopefully last one for a bit. At least we aren’t in Buffalo NY! 
 Where about in MN are you metro or out state? Wonder if our golf course paths ever cross?

I'm in the NW Metro area.  Play a lot at Pheasant Acres, in Corcoran.

You in the metro, or outstate?

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Story of my round today - woodknocker.  Must have been at least 10.  This was 17’s third shot at 85 yards on a par 5.  Got another tree on 18.  

E01A6531-CDAF-41AD-8AD2-FF8AB8893FDD.jpeg.a0033a0f93cd485c8f090ed798b56bad.jpeg

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Taylormade MG4 52/56 wedges

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

30 minutes ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Story of my round today - woodknocker.  Must have been at least 10.  This was 17’s third shot at 85 yards on a par 5.  Got another tree on 18.  

E01A6531-CDAF-41AD-8AD2-FF8AB8893FDD.jpeg.a0033a0f93cd485c8f090ed798b56bad.jpeg

Let’s just call it active creativity. Some people complain watching US Open is boring cuz it’s fairways and center of greens. Looks like you’re on the right side. We’d make bad cart partners cuz unless I get a wicked ricochet off a ‘’leaf” I’m often on the direct other side of the hole. 
Thanks for the therapy 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

I'm in the NW Metro area.  Play a lot at Pheasant Acres, in Corcoran.

You in the metro, or outstate?

Bloomington, I don’t get your way very often but Pheasant is a course on my list. I do travel around metro area trying to play different courses when I play once a week. Have favorites but out of 25 or so rounds a year I probably play 15+ different ones. Rarely west metro, played Baker early last year. Matter of fact there’s a handful of courses around Pheasant and south down to Island View on my list. 
 Pre Covid I was a truck driver for a very large golf cart distributor so I’ve been to A LOT of MN and a bit of western Wi courses but never played em so I have built a list. I delivered/picked up from Pheasant more than a few times. If you ever noticed a semi hauling EZ GO golf carts was a 1 in 3 chance it was me. 
Covid forced me to take a more conventional truck driving job and I miss that one often. I’m still home every day so I don’t consider myself a real truck driver like over the roaders. That’s a whole nother animal and level of respect. 
Anyways we should stay in touch and possibly put together a future vintage round. Never played it but told Chaska Town course is as good as it gets even though it’s only a 9 holer. They do qualifying for Hazeltine National events there at times. 

Sorry for the long windeness 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ezgoer said:

Bloomington, I don’t get your way very often but Pheasant is a course on my list. I do travel around metro area trying to play different courses when I play once a week. Have favorites but out of 25 or so rounds a year I probably play 15+ different ones. Rarely west metro, played Baker early last year. Matter of fact there’s a handful of courses around Pheasant and south down to Island View on my list. 
 Pre Covid I was a truck driver for a very large golf cart distributor so I’ve been to A LOT of MN and a bit of western Wi courses but never played em so I have built a list. I delivered/picked up from Pheasant more than a few times. If you ever noticed a semi hauling EZ GO golf carts was a 1 in 3 chance it was me. 
Covid forced me to take a more conventional truck driving job and I miss that one often. I’m still home every day so I don’t consider myself a real truck driver like over the roaders. That’s a whole nother animal and level of respect. 
Anyways we should stay in touch and possibly put together a future vintage round. Never played it but told Chaska Town course is as good as it gets even though it’s only a 9 holer. They do qualifying for Hazeltine National events there at times. 

Sorry for the long windeness 

With apologies to the others for derailing the thread....

I used to play just as you do, bouncing around the Metro area.  At the time, I lived in Brooklyn Center, and played quite a bit with a guy who was in Lakeville; ironically met him through a golf forum.  🙂   We would play somewhere north, then somewhere south, and so on.  Met other dudes from that same golf forum, the group expanded a bit. 

In those days, I averaged maybe slightly more than one round per week.

The friend above started having kids, and also moved to Woodbury, and other guys also moved out of the area.  We moved to Maple Grove, I'd always heard of Pheasant Acres but had never been there.  Played it once and was struck by the quality of the greens, especially since I'd been playing in a league at Hiawatha (they were having problems with theirs).  Then I started meeting guys, the people were great...

Decided to try buying a season pass for 2008, and have been doing it every year since.  Now part of a group of more than 20 guys, most of whom only participate a couple times a year, if that.  We manage one or two tee times on each of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  This past year, I played all three of those days in better than half of the weekends.  

Instead of clogging the thread farther, if you're cool with it, we could take this to the direct message arena.  🙂 

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, ezgoer said:

PLEASE all who can feel free to post as many pictures as possible so us less fortunate can live vicariously through you all! Maybe some panoramic stuff even. 

May the golf gods look on you favorably and if they don’t “a bad day on the golf course is better than……”

Minnesota this morning. I’m sure there’s other people that have it worse than I. On a positive note maybe only 75 more days if we’re really lucky till golfing is possible again here. 

looks like the perfect setting to get ready for the golf event at the MidWinter Carnival...used to take place on Lake Como in St. Paul.
then again, perfect for cross country skiing...build up strengths for walking spring thru fall golf....

Edited by bcstones
  • Like 2

D66495E1-F81C-4830-8926-1D81B482B1B1.jpeg.62dee9def9a52d3993efbeb78c208a1c.jpeg

I managed to play for the fourth time this week. The temperature was 3C with light winds and two of us decided to give it a go. It turned out to be a pleasant day and both of us played well.

I have enclosed a picture of my vintage bag. It was the first time playing the Walter Hagen Ultradyne III Driver and it is a good one. 

Monday looks like it has potential. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Hickory4ever said:

I managed to play for the fourth time this week. The temperature was 3C with light winds and two of us decided to give it a go. It turned out to be a pleasant day and both of us played well.

I have enclosed a picture of my vintage bag. It was the first time playing the Walter Hagen Ultradyne III Driver and it is a good one. 

Well played, I assume it was relatively dry...unlike here in NW UK where only wellington boots will do for footwear.

I'm thinking of starting a thread about what woods are favoured when conditions don't favour wooden headed clubs.

Mine is a Wilson Whale, the compressed graphite version.

4 hours ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

Well played, I assume it was relatively dry...unlike here in NW UK where only wellington boots will do for footwear.

I'm thinking of starting a thread about what woods are favoured when conditions don't favour wooden headed clubs.

The course certainly had wet spots but was relatively dry. In the cold and wet, we move up to 5100-5300 yards. Since most of my old classic woods were acquired for next to nothing, I play the seconds as far as conditioning is concerned. I also rotate in my first generation TM “metal woods” from the early 80’s. They are smaller than persimmon or laminates and are a lot of fun.

We are not obsessed with the score and they do not count toward handicaps until April 15 anyway. It is just great to get out, get in a nice walk with friends. It is a great time to check out the alternate clubs. 

On your point about woods recommended this time of year, old Ping laminates are good choices. They are plentiful, cheap, and play well. 

Edited by Hickory4ever
  • Like 1

The old Maxfli Tour Special BeCus are ready for play.  Probably Monday.  Gotta start my week off on a high note. Notice the 57* SW.  Tad Moore because why not!  Tossed in the Otey Crisman mallet for fun.  It putts ok in my cast iron mitts.

I really want to use Coke as a cleaner and even out the patina on these for better character.  Just need to scrounge up a bucket somewhere.  They're a bit blotchy from too long in storage.  Faces and grooves need a good scrubbing too.

IMG_0701.jpeg.1a3a9232f38e5526e06f7107eecb82d7.jpeg

• Like 1

TM Spider GT-X putter

13 hours ago, Hickory4ever said:

3*C and you played wooden woods? I salute you!

5 hours ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

I've put together a set of old Taylormade metalwoods from the late Eighties for that very purpose.

The weather's been pretty good here, and I'm raring to give them a go on the course, but unfortunately work is keeping me busy.

11 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

3*C and you played wooden woods? I salute you!

I've put together a set of old Taylormade metalwoods from the late Eighties for that very purpose.

The weather's been pretty good here, and I'm raring to give them a go on the course, but unfortunately work is keeping me busy.

I frequently play my early 80’s TM metals as well but don’t mind playing my B team woods either. I tend to save my best clubs for better weather as I have lots of choice. It helps that I play a soft ball and my swing speed is not what it once was.

That Ultradyne III Driver cost about $15 and has a good grip. It could be shined up a bit but is in good playing condition, so it gets played. The same for the 4 wood pictured. The Ginty is virtually mint but I don’t hesitate playing it. 

I am more careful with my hickory clubs given their age and use my classics in this weather instead. Even my A team classic woods cost very little so I would not hesitate to play them in these conditions. So many choices. Remember my motto when it comes to old clubs, set them free. Clubs were not meant to be displayed, they were meant to be played. I will not sell good play clubs (hickory or classic) to buyers that want to just display them, I want them to go to a good home.

Edited by Hickory4ever

12 hours ago, Hickory4ever said:

I frequently play my early 80’s TM metals as well but don’t mind playing my B team woods either. I tend to save my best clubs for better weather as I have lots of choice. It helps that I play a soft ball and my swing speed is not what it once was.

That Ultradyne III Driver cost about $15 and has a good grip. It could be shined up a bit but is in good playing condition, so it gets played. The same for the 4 wood pictured. The Ginty is virtually mint but I don’t hesitate playing it. 

I am more careful with my hickory clubs given their age and use my classics in this weather instead. Even my A team classic woods cost very little so I would not hesitate to play them in these conditions. So many choices. Remember my motto when it comes to old clubs, set them free. Clubs were not meant to be displayed, they were meant to be played. I will not sell good play clubs (hickory or classic) to buyers that want to just display them, I want them to go to a good home.

"I will not sell good play clubs (hickory or classic) to buyers that want to just display them, I want them to go to a good home."

Love it....well played and couldn't agree more. Me too!

Last Tuesday on Cypresswood Traditions.  Not saying I had the course to myself, but the echos were deafening.  lol

• Like 2

TM Spider GT-X putter

8 minutes ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

"I will not sell good play clubs (hickory or classic) to buyers that want to just display them, I want them to go to a good home."

Love it....well played and couldn't agree more. Me too!

Heh, I won’t buy wallhangers.  If it’s in my possession, its headed for a course nearby at least monthly.

• Like 2

TM Spider GT-X putter

On 1/8/2023 at 12:03 PM, Hickory4ever said:

I was more impressed at you playing woods in the cold. 

In summer, a mishit can still run out, but in winter that doesn't happen, so persimmon golf is much more punishing in the colder months. The newer clubs make winter golf a lot easier.

That said, we've been having some good weather here (15*C) and I really want to get out with some persimmons and old blades....but work gets in the way.

Enjoy the weather while you can and have fun.

• Like 2

Played in the Seniors Stableford competition today, playing the 1973 Dunlop Peter Thomson set with a Peter Thomson putter of earlier vintage, maybe 1960.  Scored 34 points off 95% for fourth place on a tough scoring day, first was 36 points.

I should have done better but two three-putts from the sort of distance where you shouldn't three-putt and three big shanks didn't help.

Picture below, I've since located a replacement for the missing 9 iron and added a 2 wood, which was handy today with the soft course with little run-out.

image.png.1b095885e4373919e29cfbab7c4e44a2.png

• Like 3

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

37 minutes ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Great morning on the links.  First out solo meant my pace would be played.  3:15 round and never saw the group behind me until I made the turn and passed them on 7 while i was playing 12.  

The BeCu irons were fun, but the newly refinished Maxfli persimmons were sweet!  

Dewkicker dreams!

A7B3194F-6E59-4491-B7A9-8267966B0AC6.jpeg.df07420d9f410ff2ad58daec0af07430.jpeg

8CEC6BAD-4A33-4C5A-95A4-4F3C97F93561.jpeg.ea215d92d4149d4dba2dea46b8102264.jpeg

Great pics! 

Looks great, only wish I wasn't there with you.

7 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I was more impressed at you playing woods in the cold. 

In summer, a mishit can still run out, but in winter that doesn't happen, so persimmon golf is much more punishing in the colder months. The newer clubs make winter golf a lot easier.

That said, we've been having some good weather here (15*C) and I really want to get out with some persimmons and old blades....but work gets in the way.

Enjoy the weather while you can and have fun.

I don’t mind playing woods in the cold as I stated above. My concession to the weather is putting my hickory’s away until the weather warms up a bit. We play the right tees for the conditions and on days like today (2C and very windy) and accept the challenge. I am not the only one playing classics and we tend to score as well as the guys playing modern equipment anyway. 

I personally find the modern clubs somewhat boring and really love playing vintage. Today was my fifth game of the year and was the most challenging because of the cold and the greens were frozen, it brought new meaning to the term trampoline effect. The COR of the greens exceeded the R & A limit which required some creativity on approaches. It got a bit better as the day went on.

FE441002-1BAF-465C-BC0D-CDA1AF141DCE.jpeg.18b684cccb1c49e3d9929566c90810eb.jpeg23917486-614A-440B-B182-8ADABF4A1CD9.jpeg.d887515dec690b1a85ca007f58087d91.jpeg

Here are a couple of pictures from today. The second one was Big D, all 130 pounds of him.

• Like 3

We’ll call today semi-vintage.  Got the Honmas all cleaned up and said what the heck.  Dated the woods to ’76 and irons to ’82.  Played 9 today with them and when I got to the first green, I realized I forgot to put a putter in the bag.  Sadly, a 7I was a suitable substitute by blading the ball.  Irons and woods took some adjustment to get swinging with good contact.  

Foggy and soggy conditions limited a good evaluation.  Maybe when we get some longer term dry up…

View on the first tee!

6885FF70-8575-405D-A15F-F8326579DAC6.jpeg.fb126d0fbf2eecd7d3e4c8d470f7d9a4.jpeg

CE9ABD12-E90B-4C73-88EB-16B2FC4BB6F2.jpeg.862f0cc940d525c649d82021e167be8f.jpeg

Edited by SnowbirdTom
  • Like 2

TM Spider GT-X putter

21 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

We’ll call today semi-vintage.  Got the Honmas all cleaned up and said what the heck.  Dated the woods to ’76 and irons to ’82.  Played 9 today with them and when I got to the first green, I realized I forgot to put a putter in the bag.  Sadly, a 7I was a suitable substitute by blading the ball.  Irons and woods took some adjustment to get swinging with good contact.  

Foggy and soggy conditions limited a good evaluation.  Maybe when we get some longer term dry up…

View on the first tee!

6885FF70-8575-405D-A15F-F8326579DAC6.jpeg.fb126d0fbf2eecd7d3e4c8d470f7d9a4.jpeg

CE9ABD12-E90B-4C73-88EB-16B2FC4BB6F2.jpeg.862f0cc940d525c649d82021e167be8f.jpeg

Good information on the Honma woods. I've been looking for a good source for that. So the Extra and Extra Corrects (got to love the misspelling there...) are from the 70s? I had assumed 80s for them.

1 minute ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Good information on the Honma woods. I've been looking for a good source for that. So the Extra and Extra Corrects (got to love the misspelling there...) are from the 70s? I had assumed 80s for them.

The page link at the top of the photo is dead, but used to link directly to Honma.  I’d believe it.

TM Spider GT-X putter

The 11 is M-30 and SW is FE-5000.

4728000E-5BA1-48C6-8F6D-0BD6A74BFCE5.jpeg.61ff08dcfea188f37eb961c0752d2d4d.jpeg