Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4/5 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 6-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore RTX Tour Raw 52/56

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

I'm headed to Michigan(southwestern part of state is first destination) to drop my daughter off at summer camp in July, up for any vintage rounds as well. Open ended itinerary just going to golf courses in the state that look interesting while she's away at sleepaway camp for the week.

Nike Titanium Forged Driver

Louisville Golf 3 & 5 Woods

Ping Eye 2 green dot  3 iron to Sand Wedge

Ping Anser 

@DCCarpenter

I know a few courses out that way.  Stoatin Brae in Battle Creek, Pilgrim Run, the Mines around Grand Rapids.

Tomorrow will see the ‘60 Tommys back in action at the range and if that goes well, play them on Monday for skins. It better!  They have fresh grips now and shouldn’t slide all over in my mini-mitts.

Edited by SnowbirdTom
  • Like 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

TM Spider GT-X putter

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Played an almost exclusively Mizuno set the other day; same lumber as last time, but this time with a set of Mizuno Originals that are customised MS-11s. As far as I can tell, the only difference is that they have a satin finish instead of the usual chrome, though the Brunswick FM6.0 shaft may have been a custom-only option back in the day.

Anyway, I didn't hit the irons very well, though that was on me, not the clubs. Hit the woods beautifully, but unfortunately failed to capitalise on my good drives. 

For the putter, I put in a flanged Bullseye I have, as there has been a lot of talk about the Bullseyes recently on this forum, and I thought it was about time I put mine in the bag again.

Wish I hadn't. Didn't do at all well with it. I prefer the 8802 and Iron Master style to the bullseye. I still miss putts with either style, but with the heel-shafted 8802/Iron Masters, I at least know why I am missing.

I had four consecutive three-putts to start the back nine, which didn't help my score at all. 43-43 for a disappointing 86. Disappointing mostly because my tee-game was really, really good. That Mizuno Blondie is a cracking driver.

781252371_WiTPBLateFeb2023woodsironsandbullseye.jpg.57be6f093809f78db6ab6724ae87d4a5.jpg1113757445_WiTPBendofFeb2023_1.jpg.9ceb3309c07710d25ec4ac52414e82ad.jpg1118452460_WiTPBendofFeb2023MizunoOriginalMS11irons.jpg.90f2537e76ccb3ab528ee8be40bd7c08.jpg

Seventh hole, a reasonably long dog-leg par four. Nice drive to the fairway (see arrow), walked off with a dumb bogey.

2039876976_Nakaseventhteeboxfeb2023.jpg.bf509fa2326f72d05bf18c4fc080b6a9.jpg1767009666_NakaseventhteeFeb2023.jpg.017a40aafe47e23bd3ab59838cc1e76e.jpg

What a great shape on those irons. Straight muscle cut line yet everything else is rounded off nice and soft. Really fits that satin finish. Pictures do all the talking on those woods. That driver is class, must be great to hit. Nice combo of 50’s 945-ish with a last generation persimmon Power Built style weight in the back. 5 wood looks exceptionally small and useful. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Played an almost exclusively Mizuno set the other day; same lumber as last time, but this time with a set of Mizuno Originals that are customised MS-11s. As far as I can tell, the only difference is that they have a satin finish instead of the usual chrome, though the Brunswick FM6.0 shaft may have been a custom-only option back in the day.

Anyway, I didn't hit the irons very well, though that was on me, not the clubs. Hit the woods beautifully, but unfortunately failed to capitalise on my good drives. 

For the putter, I put in a flanged Bullseye I have, as there has been a lot of talk about the Bullseyes recently on this forum, and I thought it was about time I put mine in the bag again.

Wish I hadn't. Didn't do at all well with it. I prefer the 8802 and Iron Master style to the bullseye. I still miss putts with either style, but with the heel-shafted 8802/Iron Masters, I at least know why I am missing.

I had four consecutive three-putts to start the back nine, which didn't help my score at all. 43-43 for a disappointing 86. Disappointing mostly because my tee-game was really, really good. That Mizuno Blondie is a cracking driver.

781252371_WiTPBLateFeb2023woodsironsandbullseye.jpg.57be6f093809f78db6ab6724ae87d4a5.jpg1113757445_WiTPBendofFeb2023_1.jpg.9ceb3309c07710d25ec4ac52414e82ad.jpg1118452460_WiTPBendofFeb2023MizunoOriginalMS11irons.jpg.90f2537e76ccb3ab528ee8be40bd7c08.jpg

Seventh hole, a reasonably long dog-leg par four. Nice drive to the fairway (see arrow), walked off with a dumb bogey.

2039876976_Nakaseventhteeboxfeb2023.jpg.bf509fa2326f72d05bf18c4fc080b6a9.jpg1767009666_NakaseventhteeFeb2023.jpg.017a40aafe47e23bd3ab59838cc1e76e.jpg

Looks like a fun course!

• Thanks 1

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

3 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

nice set Catchy.

you were right about the putter.

• Haha 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

4 hours ago, @_the_crook said:

nice set Catchy.

you were right about the putter.

Oddly, I was fine for the long putts--in fact, I rolled in a straight 40-footer for my only birdie--it was the short and middle range putts that I struggled with. Couldn't get the weight right with the middle range putts, and couldn't get the line right with the short ones.

6 hours ago, ezgoer said:

What a great shape on those irons. Straight muscle cut line yet everything else is rounded off nice and soft. Really fits that satin finish. Pictures do all the talking on those woods. That driver is class, must be great to hit. Nice combo of 50’s 945-ish with a last generation persimmon Power Built style weight in the back. 5 wood looks exceptionally small and useful. 

Good eye on the 5w! It is similar to a Powerbilt 5w I used to have which was a perfect Nice Little Five Wood. Unfortunately, it  cracked across the head, and that Mizuno is about the closest I've got to it.

891841876_Powerbiltcrackedcrown.jpg.5c0bab8188f6d615ce321b23cfda2985.jpg

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I put in a flanged Bullseye

the flanged styles are attractive. very pleasing to the eye.

I've always fared better with an offset model putter.

can't tell from your pic if yours is centered or not.

still, with the good strokes you describe, maybe it's just a comfort issue.

thanks for posting.

• Like 2

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

13 hours ago, @_the_crook said:

thanks for posting.

I have several Bullseyes--- My 2 favorites are far apart. One is Honey Gold color with a satin shaft and has a great feel. My other fav is a flange offset model. I guess I putt middle of the road with both but score does not matter or how many putts. For me it is the feel and fun factor.

Today I am planning on playing vintage kinda a cheater set. My beloved Jupiter Slugger with Cally S2 H2 7&9 woods. Right now my Precisions are in the bag but I am going to look this AM and see what shafts are in my recently unearthed Crown Sterlings. If they are R I may play them. If they are Stiff no way Jose. SW 56* Wilson JP. Putter I am going with my old Cleveland 8802 designed by

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

MacGregor Tommy Armours got the call.

Today was a tale of two wildly differing 9s.  Persimmons were uncontrollable on the front due to operator error.  Shot 49.

Back 9, I started by hitting 5I off the tee.  Got the scores down to bogie golf and worked on smooth swings.  Par 5, 500 yard 15th.  Pull driver and SMOKED it 270 down the middle.  Just looked at the club and laughed. Apparently they like being ignored. Ok, 240ish to pin. 3 wood landed on the front fringe. 🤦 Made the birdie.  

Second par 5 is much shorter from the senior tees.  Maybe 430?  Driver/6I to 8 feet.

7B054500-CCD4-4FCB-A8EC-83E19DB82824.jpeg.9884447a77e127d30c9d89d0bae90897.jpeg

Lipped out the eagle putt and tapped in for 4.

Ended up with 41 on the back.  Just crazy, this game.

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

TM Spider GT-X putter

On 2/27/2023 at 7:09 AM, @_the_crook said:

thanks for posting.

Mine's flanged, but not offset. A bit of offset might help.

I think the biggest problem is its weight, or lack of it. On the one hand, it helps me get the feel for distance on long putts, on the other hand, not feeling the weight of the head on short putts makes it difficult to swing smoothly and with confidence.

• Like 3

It has been crazy around here lately with snowbird touron golf season in full swing. They have been double teeing and it is crazy and some of these people are darn slow as molasses on a cold morning. I messed around on the range some with the before mentioned clubs and went to the putting green. Had a blast putting with the designed by with balata balls. Finally around 4 or so I managed to slip in like 4 holes which has been the norm lately. Now as a full fledged member I can go in and bump any outside tee time back but I do not like to do that as a single. Like other members have said what is the use? It will still be a 5 to 6 hr round. Our course is not rangered. I basically do just whatever. I know yesterday they had to turn down people wanting to play late afternoon rounds because of slow turn rounds. Had a non member I know ask if I could do a bump for a 9 hole round? I told him no because I felt it was non ethical and besides it was 4:15 and it gets dark at 6 that as slow as some of those people are we would never get 9 holes in

I did get some work in though-- Hit the slugger good and got the 7&9 backup woods dialed in. The old Hogans hit good but not as far as any of my Macs but are still fun to hit. I know we are booked solid the next 3 days and have a big Ladies event scheduled for Friday. But I am planning on playing the Shootout Saturday. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Mine's flanged, but not offset. A bit of offset might help.

I think the biggest problem is its weight, or lack of it. On the one hand, it helps me get the feel for distance on long putts, on the other hand, not feeling the weight of the head on short putts makes it difficult to swing smoothly and with confidence.

If you can find one.  Look out for one stamped HB on the bottom.  The “heavy blade” is easier for me to find the weight/balance than on a standard.  But that said. The flanged model may not be that much lighter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I think the biggest problem is its weight, or lack of it

agreed. I have a few that seem featherweight. putting too much 'oomph' in the stroke can undo accuracy.

some lead tape might help.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

2 hours ago, @_the_crook said:

agreed. I have a few that seem featherweight. putting too much 'oomph' in the stroke can undo accuracy.

some lead tape might help.

Lead tape will certainly help, but I think I would need to add so much, and one problem with the Bullseye putters is that there they don't have a lot of real estate to slap tape on!

However, perhaps even 10~15g around the heel would help. I'm actually in the process of using lead tape to adjust my range of regular putters, so I might give the Bullseye another look. I've found about 10g on the heel side of my Ironmaster and 8802 type putters helps a lot to eliminate that odd push I sometimes have.

I should snap a picture of them when I'm finished. I think even @BIG STU would be impressed at the amount of lead tape I've slapped on some of them.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, @_the_crook said:

@BIG STU just might buy that stuff by weight. .

"5 pounds, please - and paper bag not plastic". 

LOL and if I was in Surfside Beach SC there is no choice on the bag---- paper only no plastic-- They banned plactic bags there about 5 years ago now

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Very nicely done   <polite golf applause>    🙂

Adding to it is how long you've been playing.  It's a pretty short time for someone who'd never played in their younger years, only to pick it up now.  It's not an easy game.  Breaking 100 is an Achievement.  Capitalization intended.

I tip my cap    🙂

Thank you sir!  Likes of you here have been very motivational for me.  

I think I need to learn how to hit 4w or 5w and take some pressure off the 2i for longer shots.  When it works it works, when it doesn't its costly.   I guess the same could be said for a 4w or 5w. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

and take some pressure off the 2i for longer shots

there is NOTHING for the ego like a well struck 2i.

I can recall going out with a simple bag of irons  and crushing one off the 9th tee at Deerfield.  it rolled to about 10' behind the next group.

one guy turned and saw me with my partner who had his hands high, cheering the shot.

my apology at the turn was worth it.

OTOH, scuffing a 2i stinks. so, yeah, hybrids are fine too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

it's going to be snowy messy here over the weekend but we have a range date for Sunday morning.

one of those places with multi levels and infrared heaters.

bringing the AEP's and a loaded thermos.

ought to be fun.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

I went back to Billy Caldwell here on the northside of Chicago this morning before work.  One of the few places open a chilly 37 degrees at tee off but we are supposed to get 6-10 inches of snow tomorrow.  

This was my first time trying the Golden Rams Vibration Matched  3,5,7,9,and PW.  These have FM 6.5 shafts.  These are supposedly pretty stiff shafts? 

It was also the first time I tried a Toney Penna 3w I recently received.  I have been sticking with my laminated 4300 in the cold weather.  I did not like the way the insert was shaped on this TP 3w and figured I might as well try it and if something happens to it no big loss.

First round I struggled but there were moments where I felt potential with the 3w and the irons.  So I went around a second time and scored my best round for the course by 2 strokes.  If I hadn't tried to drive a water hole with a 3i and played it safe with my 9i I would scored better.  

Same John Reutter Bullseye HB. 

IMG_9386.jpg.20bf74159620257061d39d326892259a.jpg

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:
I went back to Billy Caldwell here on the northside of Chicago this morning before work.  One of the few places open a chilly 37 degrees at tee off but we are supposed to get 6-10 inches of snow tomorrow.  

This was my first time trying the Golden Rams Vibration Matched  3,5,7,9,and PW.  These have FM 6.5 shafts.  These are supposedly pretty stiff shafts? 

It was also the first time I tried a Toney Penna 3w I recently received.  I have been sticking with my laminated 4300 in the cold weather.  I did not like the way the insert was shaped on this TP 3w and figured I might as well try it and if something happens to it no big loss.

First round I struggled but there were moments where I felt potential with the 3w and the irons.  So I went around a second time and scored my best round for the course by 2 strokes.  If I hadn't tried to drive a water hole with a 3i and played it safe with my 9i I would scored better.  

What did you think of the Precision shafts?

They were the predecessor of the Rifle shaft, and the KBS shaft, a bit stiffer in the butt section than DG, but softer in the tip.  6.5 was viewed by many as Stiff flex, but for some, it felt stiffer due to that stiffer feeling butt section.  

Those who find the tip section stiffness more interesting felt they weren't as stiff as those I mentioned above.  🙂

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

16 minutes ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

we are getting that much snow again CW, damn it wanted to play SV sunday

52 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

What did you think of the Precision shafts?

They were the predecessor of the Rifle shaft, and the KBS shaft, a bit stiffer in the butt section than DG, but softer in the tip.  6.5 was viewed by many as Stiff flex, but for some, it felt stiffer due to that stiffer feeling butt section.  

Those who find the tip section stiffness more interesting felt they weren't as stiff as those I mentioned above.  🙂

I love them after the second round.  

There seemed to be a lot of height ball flight wise on my irons.  The lofts don't look that much off compared to the 60s Spaldings I usually play.  Not sure where or how those old shafts compare to these FM flexes.  

I bought a set of 1986 Titleist Tour Models and went with the S300 shaft.  Maybe I shoulda gone with a S400.  Those are next on list to try.   I've been reading S300 was for a average regular golfer.  I'm used to the 60s recommendations of Regular or Medium for the regular/non-pro golfer.

The Golden Rams are keepers and will be a part of a dedicated 80s bag I want to put together.  I need to get a matching SW.

The Penna 3w has a R300 shaft.  

• Like 1