Rounds with a Vintage Bag

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I hadn't thought of doing that to adjust the lie, but I have used the same method to straighten an old aluminium shaft that was bent.

Basically, you're bending the shaft, right? 

Exactly

• Thanks 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

On the subject of flattening lies and wedges, I have found that significantly flattening lie angles has made a mahoosive change to my wedge game and enables me to play shots instinctively again.

Old school forged wedges bend so easily. If I were on modern gear I would have much more trouble, I'm thinking.

Anyone else found this?

5 hours ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

On the subject of flattening lies and wedges, I have found that significantly flattening lie angles has made a mahoosive change to my wedge game and enables me to play shots instinctively again.

Old school forged wedges bend so easily. If I were on modern gear I would have much more trouble, I'm thinking.

Anyone else found this?

Oh yes I have played my wedges more or less 2* flat for years

23 hours ago, BIG STU said:

The came out in the late 80s. Joe Phillips was the chief designer at Wilson. Those wedges never came as stock with a set of clubs. They were a seperately purchased speciality club. They also sprang off a cheaper store line called Harmonized in the Wilson line. And do not let the department store thing turn you off the Harmonized look and hit just as well as a Pro Line JP. Everyone is different and I like them for the weight. Guys like me learned the game with the old heavy wedges and developed my feel with them. Every modern wedge I have picked up stock feels too light to me. The difference I have seen between a JP and JP II is the II has a more rounded toe. In fact your posts and Catchy have inspired me I am going to throw one of my JPs in the Vintage bag for todays dew sweeper round. 

cool thanks, have to regrip mine, but I think it would play great with my goosenecks or my 79 titleist pro models

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

In a vise and squeeze?

I have my own loft and lie mchine but I can do the old school thing of the vice with a monkey wrench or rubber hammmer and set by eyeballing. I have also been known to bend a club locked into the bumper or spring shackles of a golf cart. The bumper thing goes way way back to when golf carts had real steel bumpers

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jiggered said:

Another few holes with another different vintage set-up.

Love the dramatic music on the last for your putt...building up the tension🤣

You hit those woods really well.

I noticed you also seemed to be giving your sand wedge a good work out. It's funny how on some rounds the ball just seems to find every bunker on the course. I had one like that a few months ago. I wasn't hitting the ball particularly badly, but every slight miss ended up in a greenside bunker, and countless drives ran out that extra couple of yards into a lurking fairway bunker. Think I was in seven bunkers on the front nine alone, including two holes where I went from a fairway bunker into a greenside bunker.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jiggered said:

Yep most of my fun now since I am healed and feeling well--- Using different vintage stuff--- Now this week I will admit I have only played real vintage one round. Lately I have been experimenting with the main bag which is loosely vintage with some different wedge set ups and getting used to the new shaft in the 3 wood. And as it had been for a while I have been experimenting with the putters. 

• Like 4

On 7/28/2022 at 3:40 PM, Jiggered said:

Nice!  I really enjoyed that video Jiggered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wishon 519 9* with Evenflow Blue

Nicklaus Air Max 16.5*

Sonartec 19*

KZG Forged Cavity Backs 4-AW

Spalding EV-A sand club

Ping ISI lob wedge

Spalding brass milled putter

1 hour ago, chazpet said:

Finally got my 3 wood back with an s300 installed, hit it surprisingly well despite adjusting to an open face at address. Been struggling with my irons of late so blades may not have been the right choice, but they are the most fun choice!

4FD8F1BC-0173-4813-BD22-49C8B503FBE0.jpeg

For me vintage golf and even golf in general is all about trying different stuff for kicks and giggles. Yep that looks like a fun set up for sure. Even though I am a self described Mac man I would try your set up in a NY minute

On 7/28/2022 at 10:42 PM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Love the dramatic music on the last for your putt...building up the tension🤣

You hit those woods really well.

I noticed you also seemed to be giving your sand wedge a good work out. It's funny how on some rounds the ball just seems to find every bunker on the course. I had one like that a few months ago. I wasn't hitting the ball particularly badly, but every slight miss ended up in a greenside bunker, and countless drives ran out that extra couple of yards into a lurking fairway bunker. Think I was in seven bunkers on the front nine alone, including two holes where I went from a fairway bunker into a greenside bunker.

Down here we call that going back from one beach to another beach

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BIG STU said:

For me vintage golf and even golf in general is all about trying different stuff for kicks and giggles. Yep that looks like a fun set up for sure. Even though I am a self described Mac man I would try your set up in a NY minute

Haven’t tried any Macs yet, certainly next on the list! I really like these Wilson’s, but realized the old victory grips are rubbed and not straight, so I think a grip change and some better swings will do wonders

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, chazpet said:

Haven’t tried any Macs yet, certainly next on the list! I really like these Wilson’s, but realized the old victory grips are rubbed and not straight, so I think a grip change and some better swings will do wonders

I will give you some advice on grips and save you money. Learn to use air to take grips on and off. That way you can change around and try different clubs with new grips cheap. Also if in a hurry you can use athletic gauze tape for a temporary fix to try the club. If I did not do it this way I try so many clubs I would be broke buying grips especially at todays prices

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I will give you some advice on grips and save you money. Learn to use air to take grips on and off. That way you can change around and try different clubs with new grips cheap. Also if in a hurry you can use athletic gauze tape for a temporary fix to try the club. If I did not do it this way I try so many clubs I would be broke buying grips especially at todays prices

I’ve been blowing grips on for a couple decades now and can confirm what big stu is saying. It doesn’t take a particularly big compressor either. I’ve always used just plain Jane 3m painters tape 

my driver swing speed is 100-105, would have been higher in my early 20’s and I’ve never lost a grip 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chazpet said:

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

44 minutes ago, MachineHack said:

I’ve been blowing grips on for a couple decades now and can confirm what big stu is saying. It doesn’t take a particularly big compressor either. I’ve always used just plain Jane 3m painters tape 

my driver swing speed is 100-105, would have been higher in my early 20’s and I’ve never lost a grip 

I'm another air compressor user for grip installation.  Big fan, especially now that I'm playing leather grips.  Only need a couple extras to use with driver shafts this way.  At $20+ each, the alternative would be pretty spendy.  😉

Adding an extra suggestion, something I picked up from the Best Grips installation video.  I use a small amount of contact cement on each side of the painters tape.  Makes sure they won't slip, and it will break loose with only a little effort when you take them off.

I've only had one grip slip when not using the contact cement, but it was enough to keep me using it.  It really doesn't take much.

Obviously, personal opinion running rampant in this post.  🙂

• Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

50 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I'm another air compressor user for grip installation.  Big fan, especially now that I'm playing leather grips.  Only need a couple extras to use with driver shafts this way.  At $20+ each, the alternative would be pretty spendy.  😉

Adding an extra suggestion, something I picked up from the Best Grips installation video.  I use a small amount of contact cement on each side of the painters tape.  Makes sure they won't slip, and it will break loose with only a little effort when you take them off.

I've only had one grip slip when not using the contact cement, but it was enough to keep me using it.  It really doesn't take much.

Obviously, personal opinion running rampant in this post.  🙂

Off topic but since I have you here and I consider you the resident Ram expert I have a question. Yesterday my wife was messing around Goodwill and wandered over to the golf department. A Ram putter caught her eye. For 2.99 she jumped. Now I know it is modern looks a lot like a B-60 Ping. It has a nice smoke finish Sole reads Ram Select series Has the logo on the bottom Ram Authentic golf equipment has the same logo on the butt of the grip. Has a no step shaft stiff as a board. Has darn good weight too nice quality metal insert. I swear looks like it has never been used. I told her she did well the shaft and grip alone is worth what she paid for it. I may mess with it some it is too nice to cannabalize. What puzzels me it seems to be a more modern putter but if it is department store it is sure darn nice to be a department store line. I am not pic capable so sorry there but thought you or others may have some ideas

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MachineHack said:

I have a medium sized compressor a left over from the racing days. Man that thing is over 25 years old now still kicking. I have never had a grip break loose. The key is paying attention to inside grip size in relation to shaft size and tape accordingly

6 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Off topic but since I have you here and I consider you the resident Ram expert I have a question. Yesterday my wife was messing around Goodwill and wandered over to the golf department. A Ram putter caught her eye. For 2.99 she jumped. Now I know it is modern looks a lot like a B-60 Ping. It has a nice smoke finish Sole reads Ram Select series Has the logo on the bottom Ram Authentic golf equipment has the same logo on the butt of the grip. Has a no step shaft stiff as a board. Has darn good weight too nice quality metal insert. I swear looks like it has never been used. I told her she did well the shaft and grip alone is worth what she paid for it. I may mess with it some it is too nice to cannabalize. What puzzels me it seems to be a more modern putter but if it is department store it is sure darn nice to be a department store line. I am not pic capable so sorry there but thought you or others may have some ideas

It seems Ram came out with a number of putters in the 90s (and maybe 80s), covering a lot of those familiar styles from Ping.  Does yours have the Ram logo with the circle around the R?  

Sorry I don't know too much about it.  I don't think it's dept store, but admit I'm largely speculating.  I wonder if Brother Shallowface might know....

• Thanks 1

Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

8 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

It seems Ram came out with a number of putters in the 90s (and maybe 80s), covering a lot of those familiar styles from Ping.  Does yours have the Ram logo with the circle around the R?  

Sorry I don't know too much about it.  I don't think it's dept store, but admit I'm largely speculating.  I wonder if Brother Shallowface might know....

Thanks yep exactly circle around the R

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Thanks yep exactly circle around the R

Was doing some searches, found the new Ram has been using that circled-R logo.  I'd been thinking we could possibly figure out vintage that way, but now I think it won't tell us much.

Sorry Stu, think I'm more clueless now than I was at first.  😞

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Was doing some searches, found the new Ram has been using that circled-R logo.  I'd been thinking we could possibly figure out vintage that way, but now I think it won't tell us much.

Sorry Stu, think I'm more clueless now than I was at first.  😞

Thats ok--- I think it is sorta modern because of the finish. Really I am wanting to try it but do not want to confuse myself because my putting has been atrocious lately and I am back to basics putting with the Bulls Eyes and Wilson Augusta. Really it has a real heavy feel but balances good. I may roll it later on in the week. Yep had the best putting days last week and in the Saturday Shootout with the Bulls Eyes than I have had in a long time and do not want to confuse the good Karma

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chazpet said:

@BIG STU meant to say ribbed, but the grips are extremely worn out. Luckily I’m about to start testing what grips I want for all my clubs so will look into compressed air. 

Been playing tour velvet my entire golfing life, but enjoy the old golf pride tour wrap on my persimmons… may order a few TV and a few wraps (Tacki-Mac/Royal) to try

• Like 1

6 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Played 18 today at a course that's fairly persimmon friendly. My best here with the old stuff is 79, and I was hoping to beat it today. It was hot, there was little breeze off the sea (which came and went; at times it was noticeable, at times it was forgettable).

I put a "ji-kurabbu" (boutique Japanese persimmon) driver in play because it relates to the conversation we've been having recently on here about carbon shafts versus steel. This club has a carbon shaft, but it is about 43.5", so similar to a steel shaft.

I found the shorter carbon shaft easier to control, and did better with it than the steel shaft in my 3w. Speaking of the latter, I did OK with it, but I have never hit anything as high as I did with that 3w. Distances was OK, but good grief, I was touching the clouds!

I also brought the Toney Penna R1W matching driver to try out on course. I hit it a couple of times and found it launched really low for me; I couldn't get it more than 10 yards off the ground, but on a tee shot from an elevated pin, I blasted my tee shot 20 yards past my mate who was using a modern driver (and he hit a good one; I just got loads of roll-out).

Irons were a late-Eighties/Early Nineties set of Mizunos. Finished off with a Wilson JP wedge and a long-necked Anser 5 that I really liked. The JP wedge was OK, but it didn't suit the bunkers at the course, which had only a thin layer sand  and then clay hardpan. Fortunately (????) the only bunker shot I had was a fried egg from the face of a steep bunker after I left my wedge approach short. 

Yeah, that was a fun shot...

40 and 40 for an 80. Left three very markable  putts short on the last three holes, one for par , two for birdie. 

I really liked the R1W 5w. It fits the bill of "a nice little 5w" for me. Sits open at address, small head, feels great, and is very workable. It's obviously been refinished and reshafted, but still a great club.

803298000_WitPBearlyAug2022wholebag.jpg.7a1e77628d3ef4ddd41a24fcb4240908.jpg250813555_WitPBearlyAugdrivercrown.jpg.532d53270a4a971505243fb6aca4509a.jpg1113609743_WitPBearlyAug2022R1Wdriversole.jpg.e4ac1f32fd89453361bd571c865307b2.jpg933556602_WitPBearlyAug2022ToneyPennaR1Wdriverxrown.jpg.9d1888dbcae8ae50249f235c8ebc8657.jpg266758760_WitPBearlyAug2022Driversoleplate.jpg.b3d724281ec8f8f5d57549f895d5344d.jpg326182987_WitPBearlyaugirons.jpg.0dc081e26bfc53ce801a3353017111a3.jpg976072878_WitPBerlyAug2022JPSW.jpg.03655a977f17152691fb1e5d8cb8bc2a.jpg

Awesome irons!

• Thanks 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

6 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Awesome irons!

I'm not sure of the full story, but Mizuno were allowed to use the AGNC name for several years in the Eighties and Nineties, and they produced a number of different "Masters Model" sets. I've seen some persimmons come up for auction as well, but they appear to be much rarer.

The Masters Model irons include blades like the ones I posted yesterday, and also a number of cavity back designs. I've another set of Masters Model blade irons, but I've never taken them to the course. The shafts are too short for me (PW is actually a shade under 35") and the grips are shot. Not sure what to do with them.

Here's a few more pics of the irons I played yesterday: 5i back and face, and 11i at address. For some reason, I find the long irons relatively easy to hit. The short irons get quite boxy, which visually takes a little getting used to. Love the shape of the muscle, though.

353441519_MizunoAGModel5iback.jpg.3452d97280d4cab97ed58942069cf271.jpg1865484788_MizunoAGModel5iface.jpg.53fee326f7bb4c3f2ef44ef3177e436a.jpg1463284804_MizunoAGModel11iface.jpg.002f691f99c1821a46dba152472e896f.jpg

• Like 4