2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

hello gentleman, I use many many set of vintage clubs, I generally use them in the off season or winter golf as I call it. Up here in Wisconsin I dont want to dent  or break my good driver shaft in the cold as my rule for play is no snow and at sometime during the round has to reach 30 degrees. Those irons thta I use in the winter are the sam snead championships, or the 90's wilson 1200 lts. Just got a set of goosenecks as well will probably play them in season I also play in season the wilson x31 from 1970 those are beautiful

Well done. I could play that deep faced Mizuno driver if it had the correct shaft for me-- Beautiful piece of lumber if you ask me. The Mizzy Pro irons to me and it may be the photo the overall profile seems to be a cross of MP-33s combined with MP-68s which either one of their sets looks good to me. Interesting course I believe from what you posted I could play it fine. Fine or not play wise for me it is a nice looking course

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Well done. I could play that deep faced Mizuno driver if it had the correct shaft for me-- Beautiful piece of lumber if you ask me. The Mizzy Pro irons to me and it may be the photo the overall profile seems to be a cross of MP-33s combined with MP-68s which either one of their sets looks good to me. Interesting course I believe from what you posted I could play it fine. Fine or not play wise for me it is a nice looking course

The driver is pretty easy to hit, but I don't know what shaft is in it, only that it's carbon and looks pretty fancy. It's one of my favourite to hit, to be honest, and one of my longest, though it can't beat my Wood Bros Corker when I find the sweet spot. 

The course is in a beautiful area, and as an added bonus there was a shop nearby selling venison, wild boar, and badger meat. I've not tried badger meat yet, but I did pick up a couple of pieces of venison and had one with the family when I got home. Really juicy and tender.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 1:19 PM, BIG STU said:

Yep low cut stinger 2 irons are fun. Love it when others question the 2 iron as in "why in the world do you hit a 2 iron?" My answer always--- Because I still CAN--- I will admit not as well as I used to but at 64 years old and fat with a broken back healing up I think I do ok. 

I think I have the next year set of those, mine say Tour Model on the sole in Red. Beautiful set, I put a set of s300 in them

On 4/5/2021 at 11:19 AM, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Back at Spring Valley Country Club.  I played a horrendous round although I did par this hole.  

I went with a half set of 1962 M Tourney V.F.Qs, 1, 3 Wilson 4300s, and an Achushnet Bullseye.

169310150_10100856349181949_3230266171833190879_n.jpg.0448524ed46a25cab112f827792bf8ec.jpg

I saw your picture and said "wow that looks like Spring Valley" and sure enough it was. I play there 60 times a year. WHen do you play? What a great old course to play vintage clubs at

• Like 2

3 hours ago, seis said:

Divine Word Chapel, Techny, Illinois. Just as pretty inside as out. Willow Hill GC is an interesting nine hole layout. Great views. Sometimes I feel it could use a bit more maintenance but a fun track. I usually get out there a couple of times per season.

No trees but if you don’t keep it on the fairway hitting off those hills and walking up and down them can really wear you out.   I spent all afternoon doing that lol. 

• Haha 1

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

With the unusually high temperatures, I got in my first vintage round of the year at a nice 9 hole linksy layout (Fescues Edge), one of maybe four courses open in Southern Ontario. 

My bag today, hickory clubs from the mid to late 1920’s.

1928 Walter Hagen irons

Wilsonian Brassie 

Jack White Spoon

MacGregor Baffy

Schenectady Putter

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, evensorodds said:

Maiden voyage for several vintages sticks today:

Cleveland RC85 (acquired from our friend Big Stu)

Ram 5 wood (just refinished)

1962 Haig Ultra (love the shape of these, especially in the short irons)

I played 9 at the Charles Sifford course right in the middle of Charlotte. It’s a great track for vintage equipment.

Recently, I’ve been having some issues hitting smother hooks with the driver, and while it wasn’t a banner day in that regard, I did manage one solid drive on the 9th that will keep me coming back for more. E7AEE600-F594-4486-82FA-3429C0447761.png.2d6ae8fe7fab42545c1ea1f60bae67b4.png2FDF79C1-8329-4F86-A7BF-23BDFD4ED415.png.905152a4d9efa8eb940f28fbc3074b38.png

Love the look of the ‘62 Haigs.  They are on my “want list” same with the ‘61s. 

8 hours ago, Wham49 said:

I saw your picture and said "wow that looks like Spring Valley" and sure enough it was. I play there 60 times a year. WHen do you play? What a great old course to play vintage clubs at

I played there a lot last spring.  I haven’t been back since then.  But yeah, great course for the old gear!

2 hours ago, evensorodds said:

Maiden voyage for several vintages sticks today:

Cleveland RC85 (acquired from our friend Big Stu)

Ram 5 wood (just refinished)

1962 Haig Ultra (love the shape of these, especially in the short irons)

I played 9 at the Charles Sifford course right in the middle of Charlotte. It’s a great track for vintage equipment.

Recently, I’ve been having some issues hitting smother hooks with the driver, and while it wasn’t a banner day in that regard, I did manage one solid drive on the 9th that will keep me coming back for more. E7AEE600-F594-4486-82FA-3429C0447761.png.2d6ae8fe7fab42545c1ea1f60bae67b4.png2FDF79C1-8329-4F86-A7BF-23BDFD4ED415.png.905152a4d9efa8eb940f28fbc3074b38.png

OH OH OH do I spy someone I know?? Glad to see you have the old beast in play. Charles Sifford course in Charlotte man it is one of the courses I grew up on. LOL tell you how old I am It was called Bonnie Brae back when I played it then it was Revolution Park. Lots of history in that place. In fact I knew Mr Sifford we used to call him "Cigar Charlie" I grew up with the guy whose company manages the course for the County now days. Man I could tell you some great stories about that place and some of the great African American golfers that honed their skills there---- Man  we used to have some matches there with those guys

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 4

On 3/19/2022 at 1:53 AM, BIG STU said:

OH OH OH do I spy someone I know?? Glad to see you have the old beast in play. Charles Sifford course in Charlotte man it is one of the courses I grew up on. LOL tell you how old I am It was called Bonnie Brae back when I played it then it was Revolution Park. Lots of history in that place. In fact I knew Mr Sifford we used to call him "Cigar Charlie" I grew up with the guy whose company manages the course for the County now days. Man I could tell you some great stories about that place and some of the great African American golfers that honed their skills there---- Man  we used to have some matches there with those guys

Yes, beast is applicable for that Cleveland! Enjoyed it though, and on 9 I finally connected and it was a beaut. 

The Sifford course is a great time, and a really good layout for vintage since it’s really short, but has plenty of intrigue and challenge around the greens.

• Like 3

On 3/19/2022 at 12:23 AM, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Love the look of the ‘62 Haigs.  They are on my “want list” same with the ‘61s. 

I found a 1-P set and I’ve taken the 1 iron out a few times, but this was the first I had played, for me, a “full set”. What really drew me to them was the shaping of the short irons. I love dynapowers, but usually from the 7 iron up. I don’t prefer the rounder shapes of the short irons. The Haigs don’t have that issue. 

Old Mac irons have nice shaping to my eyes, but on modern soft fairways they are too sharp in the soles. The contour soles are much more playable. 

Edited by evensorodds
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, evensorodds said:

Yes, beast is applicable for that Cleveland! Enjoyed it though, and on 9 I finally connected and it was a beaut. 

The Sifford course is a great time, and a really good layout for vintage since it’s really short, but has plenty of intrigue and challenge around the greens.

I could hit it back 10 years ago when I had some lead in the pencil. Played it quite a bit back then. That is the original shaft and grip on it. We got it in a bulk buy back when we had the golf shop. We had bought out a guy in the Gaffney area that had retired. I remember my partner Big John (RIP) had said " no one will want this because it is persimmon" I told him I did and took it home. You do have to get used to it and do not overswing it. When you connect with it she will move the rock. In like 06 I won a Persimmon long drive exhibition with it at a local range. There was 5 of us in that expo including a local friend of mine who was a long drive guy with the metal woods. We did the expo as part of a event for a local charity. In fact my friend hit my other bomber a Penna Model 1 with a X-1000 shaft. We also used Maxfli HT-100 Balata balls. I beat him with 5 shots by less than a 2 yard average. My longest with the Cleveland was 252 my average was around like 240. The Penna I gave to my Bud from Canada fellow WRXer Cardoustie back in December and he can romp that thing. But it was time to move on and I love the fact someone like you can move it and play with it like my bud does with the Model 1----  I hit about 10 balls on the range with the Slugger yesterday. As usual it drew attention from the touron crowd with the sound. I did put about 3 grams of lead tape on the back and down low in the back. Gives me a little more elevation and maybe 3 yards more carry. With roll out I hit it about 200 yards. I can also feel it in the backswing a little better. As usual had someone ask why I was hitting it? My standard answer was because I still can and I added because it was fun. I think he was steamed because I was putting it out there with his new G-400. Of course he could not fathom our range rocks are limited flight and besides I was hitting some Old Soft Feels and Chrome Softs absolutely no range rocks or Top Flites with that baby. I mark my old balls with my initials and the kids (owners sons) cull them out for me and put them in a basket in the cart/range barn. 

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, evensorodds said:

I found a 1-P set and I’ve taken the 1 iron out a few times, but this was the first I had played, for me, a “full set”. What really drew me to them was the shaping of the short irons. I love dynapowers, but usually from the 7 iron up. I don’t prefer the rounder shapes of the short irons. The Haigs don’t have that issue. 

Old Mac irons have nice shaping to my eyes, but on modern soft fairways they are too sharp in the soles. The contour soles are much more playable. 

Ha! I've noticed this too.  It wasn't until I had gotten my hands on a few Haigs that I wasn't so sure my short irons on my first set of Haigs were correct.  I'm used to the 8.9.pw being rounded on the Dynapowers that I just assumed the Haigs being "fluid feel" and distant cousins to the Wilsons would have been the same. 

Edited by cold_war_era_golfer
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Ha! I've noticed this too.  It wasn't until I had gotten my hands on a few Haigs that I wasn't so sure my short irons on my first set of Haigs were correct.  I'm used to the 8.9.pw being rounded on the Dynapowers that I just assumed the Haigs being "fluid feel" and distant cousins to the Wilsons would have been the same. 

Funny enough, I assumed the same thing and didn’t even look at the Haigs as an option in my quest for a perfect playable vintage set because I assumed they were mostly rebadged Dynapowers. But they have an identity all their own.

I have this site to thank for seeing enough pics of the Haigs for my brain to recognize the difference. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, evensorodds said:

Funny enough, I assumed the same thing and didn’t even look at the Haigs as an option in my quest for a perfect playable vintage set because I assumed they were mostly rebadged Dynapowers. But they have an identity all their own.

I have this site to thank for seeing enough pics of the Haigs for my brain to recognize the difference. 

So are they officially your "perfect playable vintage set."  The 63-64 Haigs felt pretty good out on the first day this year.  Late last year the 60-61 Dynapowers felt pretty good for me.  I have some really nice MacGregor sets that work well too.  I guess half the fun for me is trying all the sets to find that one set!  I have a few Spalding Top Flite sets I need to give a fair chance this year as well.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

My old man was a Wilson dealer back in the day--- I can remember him discussing with a customer the difference between the Haigs and Staffs about the bounce and soles. at the time it did not make sense to me but later on it did. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

So are they officially your "perfect playable vintage set."  The 63-64 Haigs felt pretty good out on the first day this year.  Late last year the 60-61 Dynapowers felt pretty good for me.  I have some really nice MacGregor sets that work well too.  I guess half the fun for me is trying all the sets to find that one set!  I have a few Spalding Top Flite sets I need to give a fair chance this year as well.

Early favorites certainly, but they need to see some different courses and conditions. Time will tell. I agree about the hunt, it’s half the fun and keeps me engaged with the game when I don’t have tons of time to play. One of the next investments for me will be a loft/lie machine so I can experiment from the garage and get everything dialed in. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

My old man was a Wilson dealer back in the day--- I can remember him discussing with a customer the difference between the Haigs and Staffs about the bounce and soles. at the time it did not make sense to me but later on it did. 

Color me curious. What were the overarching themes between the two? Which had more or less bounce? I find the 62 Haigs more playable turf interaction-wise than my 67 staffs. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, evensorodds said:

Color me curious. What were the overarching themes between the two? Which had more or less bounce? I find the 62 Haigs more playable turf interaction-wise than my 67 staffs. 

The Haigs had more bounce and a wider sole plus more weight on the bottom end to help some get the ball up in the air better. Remember everyone's swing and AOA is different and different clubs play differently for different folks. Good example with the Haigs I would probably get a lot of funky shots because of the bounce. My instinctive swing is geared towards thin soles with less bounce. One of the reasons I have problems hitting most modern CBs with the cambered soles. It all has to do with the era and type of clubs one learned the game with

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 3