2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

On 10/7/2021 at 12:30 PM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I really like the look of the Ben Sayers wedge on the left, especially the wide sole combined with the shaved topline. Can you show me a shot at address, or is that only available if I sign up on OnlyFans?🤣

I'll sort you out a couple of pictures and post them up, we can discuss signing up later!  😉

• Thanks 1

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

4 hours ago, Brewski_golfs said:

Walked 9 with this full Macgregor setup, this was the first time I gamed any of these clubs (except the 11).  WDX2 persimmons, DX2 2-9 irons, PT2 CF4000 11 iron, and a Macgregor Smoothie SMG1 putter. Brought out the vintage headcovers for an extra added touch.  Was going to bring the red Macgregor bag but got lazy and decided I didn’t want to swap everything at the last minute.   

Hit the Persimmons pretty well, but unfortunately the DX2’s and I did not agree at all.  Didn’t hit a single green in regulation which made for a rough day.  Didn’t really care for the smoothie either.  I’ll give the DX2’s another shot at some point, but probably not until next season.  

7CCDDB84-9F93-4B38-B77B-064D39955561.jpeg

6CA06DC2-CBAC-490F-A86B-01F765B4BE50.jpeg

I hit DX2s pretty well earlier this spring.  Then I started playing with M Tourneys and Palmers with more of a traditional offset.  When I went back the the DX2s my game was way off.  It happened twice so I think it was more than just a coincidence.

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

On 10/7/2021 at 12:30 PM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I really like the look of the Ben Sayers wedge on the left, especially the wide sole combined with the shaved topline. Can you show me a shot at address, or is that only available if I sign up on OnlyFans?🤣

Address picture as requested, plus a couple of bonus shots.

Loft is 58 degrees. The weight is good but the length is very short, only 33 7/8", I wonder if the "W" on the sole indicates a women's club, but "L" is the usual code for that.

It has a green band True Temper Rocket shaft which I believe places it in the 1950s.

image.png.33ebee9366123c19fb5bc1311a090845.png

image.png.bc300e60d50dd8c25114ff6f614d8460.png

image.png.3d2663ddad509f02bb2cbc7dfcebb1d4.png

Edited by Jiggered
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jiggered said:

Address picture as requested, plus a couple of bonus shots.

Loft is 58 degrees. The weight is good but the length is very short, only 33 7/8", I wonder if the "W" on the sole indicates a women's club, but "L" is the usual code for that.

It has a green band True Temper Rocket shaft which I believe places it in the 1950s.

image.png.33ebee9366123c19fb5bc1311a090845.png

image.png.bc300e60d50dd8c25114ff6f614d8460.png

image.png.3d2663ddad509f02bb2cbc7dfcebb1d4.png

33 and half inches? That's like hitting with a lollipop stick.

The rounded leading edge gives it the appearance of having onset. I quite like that look.

I hadn't appreciated just how wide that sole is. Doesn't seem like a club made for links golf.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

The rounded leading edge gives it the appearance of having onset. I quite like that look.

I hadn't appreciated just how wide that sole is. Doesn't seem like a club made for links golf.

A lot of knee flex is needed to hit it!

The grip has been replaced, so I'm thinking of regripping and adding an extension piece when I do it.

Edited by Jiggered
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jiggered said:

A lot of knee flex is needed to hit it!

The grip has been replaced, so I'm thinking of regripping and adding an extension piece when I do it.

I'd be wanting to extend it to at least 35", but I think the longest I've ever had done was one inch. May have been 3/4", but I think it was an inch. No structural problems....so far.

• Like 1

Got out and played a Ryder Cup event with the boys this weekend, 16 guys and 27 holes of golf. Started with a 9 hole scramble, next up was 9 holes best ball, and finished with 9 holes alternate shot. I think my teammate was a bit nervous when he saw the persimmon in the bag for a competition, but people forget that golf is about hitting distances and they were spot on all day. We ended up taking 8 points on the day, but even better was that all three guys I played with were talking about pulling out some of their old woods from the garage the next time they play. Always fun getting new people to play with vintage equipment and realizing they're not as hard to hit as they're made out to be.IMG_20211008_142618471.jpg.deded48438b1bdc49893fae1ecb54b80.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I'd be wanting to extend it to at least 35", but I think the longest I've ever had done was one inch. May have been 3/4", but I think it was an inch. No structural problems....so far.

I extended the Cleveland Smart Sole C wedge I had from 34" to 35 1/2" using a steel shaft extension.  It was fine not only for chipping but on full swings also.  I counterweighted it with a 20g Tour Lok so it wouldn't be quite so ponderous.

• Like 3

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

13 minutes ago, scomac2002 said:

I extended the Cleveland Smart Sole C wedge I had from 34" to 35 1/2" using a steel shaft extension.  It was fine not only for chipping but on full swings also.  I counterweighted it with a 20g Tour Lok so it wouldn't be quite so ponderous.

Thanks for reminding me about counterweighting! Very timely. I've just bought some rather interesting old Mizunos (1986, I think...), and I'm thinking of extending them a little to suit me, but the swing weight could get a little more than I'd like. Counterweighting would be a good solution.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2021 at 6:45 PM, Brewski_golfs said:

Walked 9 with this full Macgregor setup, this was the first time I gamed any of these clubs (except the 11).  WDX2 persimmons, DX2 2-9 irons, PT2 CF4000 11 iron, and a Macgregor Smoothie SMG1 putter. Brought out the vintage headcovers for an extra added touch.  Was going to bring the red Macgregor bag but got lazy and decided I didn’t want to swap everything at the last minute.   

Hit the Persimmons pretty well, but unfortunately the DX2’s and I did not agree at all.  Didn’t hit a single green in regulation which made for a rough day.  Didn’t really care for the smoothie either.  I’ll give the DX2’s another shot at some point, but probably not until next season.  

7CCDDB84-9F93-4B38-B77B-064D39955561.jpeg

6CA06DC2-CBAC-490F-A86B-01F765B4BE50.jpeg

LOL what is funny is I have the same vintage Bag Boy Push cart

• Haha 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

14 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I do not know on real links type public courses but those type wedges with the weight were great on the old Muni type goat ranch courses I grew up on. The courses I grew up on the traps were masonary type sand and those thick soles plus the weight worked well there plus some of the horrible lies you got around the greens. My favorite of that type is a 53 Mac Tourney Dual sole and it is heavy. In fact I may pull it out this afternoon and put it in the bag with one of my sets of un modified Muirfields for maybe tomorrows play

To clarify on what I meant by a real links public course--- All the links style courses I have played here were built for the tourist trade and are pristine not rough like the old public links courses I have seen around the UK etc on TV.  I have seen a lot of the UK courses on PGS that the guys post that are like everyday working mans public daily fee courses. Man I want to play one of those with my vintage stuff. Most guys have like Pebble Beach on their bucket list which is nice but me my ultimate bucket list course would be a regular muni type links course in the middle of no where. Those type courses with vintage equipment define golf for me

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, thepunch_out said:

Got out and played a Ryder Cup event with the boys this weekend, 16 guys and 27 holes of golf. Started with a 9 hole scramble, next up was 9 holes best ball, and finished with 9 holes alternate shot. I think my teammate was a bit nervous when he saw the persimmon in the bag for a competition, but people forget that golf is about hitting distances and they were spot on all day. We ended up taking 8 points on the day, but even better was that all three guys I played with were talking about pulling out some of their old woods from the garage the next time they play. Always fun getting new people to play with vintage equipment and realizing they're not as hard to hit as they're made out to be.IMG_20211008_142618471.jpg.deded48438b1bdc49893fae1ecb54b80.jpg

Nice set up and sounds like you had fun--- BTW that 983 aint nothing to sneeze at either and either is the NAPA I also see that Hogan SW trying to hide

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I do not know on real links type public courses but those type wedges with the weight were great on the old Muni type goat ranch courses I grew up on. The courses I grew up on the traps were masonary type sand and those thick soles plus the weight worked well there plus some of the horrible lies you got around the greens. My favorite of that type is a 53 Mac Tourney Dual sole and it is heavy. In fact I may pull it out this afternoon and put it in the bag with one of my sets of un modified Muirfields for maybe tomorrows play

To clarify on what I meant by a real links public course--- All the links style courses I have played here were built for the tourist trade and are pristine not rough like the old public links courses I have seen around the UK etc on TV.  I have seen a lot of the UK courses on PGS that the guys post that are like everyday working mans public daily fee courses. Man I want to play one of those with my vintage stuff. Most guys have like Pebble Beach on their bucket list which is nice but me my ultimate bucket list course would be a regular muni type links course in the middle of no where. Those type courses with vintage equipment define golf for me

The wide sole would certainly work great in bunkers with most types of sand (I'd struggle in compact wet sand, though).

I was thinking the wide sole on tight lies might be tough; certainly would be for me. I've found I like lots of heel, toe, and trail edge relief, with bounce up front. I am pretty sure I'd smack the back of the sole into the ground and skull the ball.

Talking of public courses in the UK, the first course I played on was public, but had some of the best greens in the area, and even used to host a European Tour event. It was Bingley St. Ives in West Yorkshire, and had some sort of turf research institution attached, which was why the greens were so good. 

Billy Foster, who caddied for Seve and later Lee Westwood, grew up playing there, and I know Faldo played it on the European Tour because he's referenced it in his commentary.

Funny course, as the opening hole is a really benign short par 4, uphill, but probably driveable now for many pros, and plays like a parkland golf course, then you get on to the exposed moorland with heather lining the fairways, and the course really shows its teeth. The final hole, a 180-yard downhill par 3 downhill that plays about 150~160, returns you to the parkland.

Used to be public, but I think the course is private now.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Brewski_golfs said:

That bag boy is rock solid.  When I first got it gave it a quick wash, greased the wheels, and replaced the worn straps.  It should last decades. 

Truth.  Bag Boy Automatic is a very cool, almost art deco design.  Likewise washed, greased and replaced straps (salvaged from a crappy cart).  Been replaced with a 3-wheeler which is more stable.    But keep it around as a backup/loaner.  And looks fashionably correct with a classic kit.  

fullsizeoutput_10f5.jpeg

• Like 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

On 10/11/2021 at 3:20 AM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Classic irons that are played with some degree of regularity get extensions (unless they have leather grips, which I don't mess with).  The longest was into a 35" Hogan Sand Iron out to my preferred 36.25" with no issues.  Then again, only sees occasional use.  My theory.  Once the grip is installed, the extension is "locked" in place.  Don't know what the swing weight is, never scaled it.  It is what it is.  On the hefty side, but still feels balanced.  Seems to play OK.  

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

6 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

The wide sole would certainly work great in bunkers with most types of sand (I'd struggle in compact wet sand, though).

I was thinking the wide sole on tight lies might be tough; certainly would be for me. I've found I like lots of heel, toe, and trail edge relief, with bounce up front. I am pretty sure I'd smack the back of the sole into the ground and skull the ball.

Talking of public courses in the UK, the first course I played on was public, but had some of the best greens in the area, and even used to host a European Tour event. It was Bingley St. Ives in West Yorkshire, and had some sort of turf research institution attached, which was why the greens were so good. 

Billy Foster, who caddied for Seve and later Lee Westwood, grew up playing there, and I know Faldo played it on the European Tour because he's referenced it in his commentary.

Funny course, as the opening hole is a really benign short par 4, uphill, but probably driveable now for many pros, and plays like a parkland golf course, then you get on to the exposed moorland with heather lining the fairways, and the course really shows its teeth. The final hole, a 180-yard downhill par 3 downhill that plays about 150~160, returns you to the parkland.

Spot on in all respects.

Yorkshire used to do exceptionally well for public courses, many hosting Tour events.

17 minutes ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Classic irons that are played with some degree of regularity get extensions (unless they have leather grips, which I don't mess with).  The longest was into a 35" Hogan Sand Iron out to my preferred 36.25" with no issues.  Then again, only sees occasional use.  My theory.  Once the grip is installed, the extension is "locked" in place.  Don't know what the swing weight is, never scaled it.  It is what it is.  On the hefty side, but still feels balanced.  Seems to play OK.  

An increase of 1.25" would add about 7~8 swing weight points, I think. Hefty indeed. 

I like longer wedges too, but 36.25" is quite something. I find 35.5" or 35.75" about right for me for a sand wedge. 

8 minutes ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

Spot on in all respects.

Yorkshire used to do exceptionally well for public courses, many hosting Tour events.

Can you remember which other courses hosted Tour events? I want to say Fixby did, but I'm not certain. Lindrick, Ganton, and Moortown have certainly hosted Ryder Cups, with Moortown holding the second ever Ryder Cup. Perhaps it also hosted a Tour event?

Also, Yorkshire has lots of Alistair Mackenzie designed courses, such as Moortown and Alwoodley, but I don't think it gets the golf tourism that the West and East coasts of Scotland or Lancashire/Merseyside get. Or at least I don't think it did when I was growing up there.

Do you know if Yorkshire has any proper links courses? I can't think of any, but I grew up playing inland, and only once played on the Yorkshire coast, at Scarborough, which is on top of a cliff.

10 hours ago, Brewski_golfs said:

That bag boy is rock solid.  When I first got it gave it a quick wash, greased the wheels, and replaced the worn straps.  It should last decades. 

I found mine at the usual place at the scrapyard. I paid a whopping $5 for it because it is aluminum and those prices were up at that time. The straps were missing. I went to my local Goodwill and found 2 rather large thin ladies leather belts that worked fine. Bonus mine has the accessory scorecard holder with a place for 3 balls tees and a pack of smokes. LOL I did a display one time at a golf event with my green and white Mac mini Staff bag with a complete set of FC-4000s ( Thanks again Stick Fish). Had a hard pack box of Camels filled with sand--- OMG got some of the anti smoking crowd going. I was requested to move the pack of fake smokes. I told them naah I will just wheel the whole thing out which I did and never looked back. I was requested a year later to do the display again and I declined I told the people in charge I did not need that crap. I used it quite a bit on my vintage rounds before my accident.

Now I will admit I was invited to test and keep a Motocaddy electric push cart for another golf site. They wanted to evaluate how it may help a injured person rehabilitate. It did good and I love it. I used it until the weather got too humid for me. I will more than likely since it has cooled some use the Motocaddy some but I will keep the old Bag boy and use it some in vintage rounds when I get back in shape

• Like 1

8 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Yep those type wedges for me on hardpan are about as useful as a screen door on a submarine. On the courses I grew up on we did not have many hardpan lies.

On 10/7/2021 at 10:41 PM, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Back at it again this time at the local par 3. Minimal 63 FC 4000s, Penna sand iron, Iron Master, and Armour 3w.

19AB272A-180D-47E6-8D4C-86A49D6DD2CF.jpeg.6fc519107da3532948cd96c1611faa12.jpeg

Did not catch it previously but like the trestle sticks you made out of old yardsticks--- IMHO redneck engineering at its finest!! The problem now is finding yardsticks like yours but I think I have a couple---- Somewhere---- Yeah I know they do not make stuff like they used to including yardsticks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Did not catch it previously but like the trestle sticks you made out of old yardsticks--- IMHO redneck engineering at its finest!! The problem now is finding yardsticks like yours but I think I have a couple---- Somewhere---- Yeah I know they do not make stuff like they used to including yardsticks

Thanks Stu!  It’s always fun telling others my clubs are over 50 years old then proceed to prop my Jones bag up on a pair of yardsticks.  It’s even more fun when I hit the ball right.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

It’s even more fun when I hit the ball right.

I'll say this much:  after playing vintage for about a month and then coming back to modernist clubs, I'm hitting my irons much better.  Straighter and higher with more spin on the ball.  May have even helped me out with the driver.

• Like 3

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

5 hours ago, scomac2002 said:

I'll say this much:  after playing vintage for about a month and then coming back to modernist clubs, I'm hitting my irons much better.  Straighter and higher with more spin on the ball.  May have even helped me out with the driver.

Oh I absolutely believe it--- One of the reasons when I practice I use one of my persimmon drivers and practice putting with either one of my Ironmasters or a Bulls Eye

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Oh I absolutely believe it--- One of the reasons when I practice I use one of my persimmon drivers and practice putting with either one of my Ironmasters or a Bulls Eye

Stu do you find any adjustment issues when you jump from your old FC4000s to your 1980 VIPs?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

An increase of 1.25" would add about 7~8 swing weight points, I think. Hefty indeed. 

I like longer wedges too, but 36.25" is quite something. I find 35.5" or 35.75" about right for me for a sand wedge. 

Can you remember which other courses hosted Tour events? I want to say Fixby did, but I'm not certain. Lindrick, Ganton, and Moortown have certainly hosted Ryder Cups, with Moortown holding the second ever Ryder Cup. Perhaps it also hosted a Tour event?

Also, Yorkshire has lots of Alistair Mackenzie designed courses, such as Moortown and Alwoodley, but I don't think it gets the golf tourism that the West and East coasts of Scotland or Lancashire/Merseyside get. Or at least I don't think it did when I was growing up there.

Do you know if Yorkshire has any proper links courses? I can't think of any, but I grew up playing inland, and only once played on the Yorkshire coast, at Scarborough, which is on top of a cliff.

Moortown hosted 3 Car Care Plan tournaments + the Haig Tournament Players Championship, earlier the Silent Night and the Yorkshire Evening News from 1925 to 1962 in rotation. Temple Newsam (another of McKenzie's) also hosted YEN along with Harrogate (Starbeck) and Pannal. Sand Moor, Moortown's neighbours also hosted the final CarCare Plan. Nigel Denham was the guy who played his approach shot into the Smoke Room and then out through a window to the 18th green during the English Amateur ( I was there and witnessed it). Fixby hosted the Lawrence Batley Seniors for many years, which I think brings us back to Bingley St Ives because that is wher Lawrence Batley hailed from and I think hosted the first of his tourneys there.

But you are right, the Leeds area would make a fantastic base for a golfing holiday without there being a true links course in the County, the inland Ganton (Ryder Cup 1947) probably comes closest.

Edited by The Aspidistra in the Hall
  • Thanks 1