2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

6 hours ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Beautiful Haig Ultras!  I just picked up a set of '64s with the original leather grips and I hit them really well the first time out.  Something about them, I feel like they are the easiest playing "Wilson" out there.

I love my Haigs. They're well worn, which is befitting a set from 1963, but they still hit the ball as well as one can expect. When you nail it on the sweet spot there is no greater feeling in golf.

8 hours ago, Robert L. said:

I love my Haigs. They're well worn, which is befitting a set from 1963, but they still hit the ball as well as one can expect. When you nail it on the sweet spot there is no greater feeling in golf.

Upon closer inspection I think my ‘64s and your ‘63s are the the same thing.  BF471732-5AAC-4361-83C8-2BEBAD3A0FE6.jpeg.f60475379aa6cb84211afc3702129f32.jpeg

• Like 2

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

1 hour ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Upon closer inspection I think my ‘64s and your ‘63s are the the same thing.  BF471732-5AAC-4361-83C8-2BEBAD3A0FE6.jpeg.f60475379aa6cb84211afc3702129f32.jpeg

Ironfinders! That's the same place I went to in order to date my Haigs. I say mine are 63s, but for all I know they might also be 64s. No matter, the important thing is that they're great irons.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 4:38 AM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Thank you.

I think yesterday's round was made more enjoyable for my daughter because I gave her chances to earn money!

Me: Get up and down in three for a hundred yen, and up and down in two for 500 yen. 

Her: What if I do it in one?

Me: 10,000 yen🤣

She was also really pleased when she smacked a shot over the pond on the last hole. Admittedly, she had to tee it up, but the carry was about on the limit of what she can make, so fair enough. In fact, she almost hit it straight into the hole. Anyway, she certainly enjoyed that shot, and enjoyed telling her mother about it over the phone on the way home😊

The Rams are great irons, aren't they. I remembered that you are a fan because you've talked about wearing out a set of Tour Grinds in another thread (or was it earlier in this thread?). I like the way they frame the ball, love the leading edge of the short irons for chipping, and the feel of a nutted shot is just superb.

Now, on the subject of steel vs graphite for persimmon, the majority of my drivers are actually shafted with graphite, but there's only two or three I feel I can control sufficiently. It seems the Japanese converted to graphite shafts more quickly than Europe or the USA, because most Honmas and quite a few Mizuno persimmons I see for sale here have carbon shafts.

I do have a steel-shafted Mizuno MS-1 that I've yet to hit and looks brand new. Maybe that'll get nod next time out.

I actually have 2 graphite shafted Toney Penna persimmons. One was actually a Tour Piece with a HM 65 Graphite which is stiff as rebar and long at 45" A former tour player I know gamed it on Tour in the early 80s. That is the one I front line played until like 01 or so. Now days I would not even attempt to swing it would kill my back. The other one I can actually hit it is a factory marked HM-55. Old School Rocker (Randy) gave me that one since I am a Penna fan. In fact I have it set up with the Hogan Precisions in the Vagabond bag

• Like 3

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Went out my local par 3 which I play 2-3 times a week.  I could barely hit these 1967 Haig Ultras.  I think my MacGregors have ruined me as to all intensive purposes these should be more forgiving and easier to hit than my Macs.  Things were so bad I decided to go around a second time.  When I got to hole 6 after toeing three balls directly into the water I walked off the course.  I’ve never done that before.7198367D-8F3F-4FDD-B943-04E6A210FC21.jpeg.e51b3fc6a1ca32742d538a1a7b47b4a6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

9 hours ago, Brewski_golfs said:

Walked 9 today with this setup.  Powerbilt corked super persimmon driver, my beloved PB 4 wood, a Ginty for the rough, the Spalding top flight legacy 2-10 I recently acquired, original Ping Zing, and I snuck in a Cleveland tour 900 56 degree wedge.  At this point the Cleveland is a 20 year old wedge, that counts as vintage to me.  Absolutely perfect fall weather, sunny and 70, and I played one of my best rounds of the year.  

5704DB8C-DD80-4DD5-979C-55F5BA52C2FF.jpeg

Do you have any more pictures of that corked Powerbilt? Is it like a Wood Bros Kool Cat with two scoops in the crown? I'm interested to hear more about it, as I didn't know they made a corked wood.

8 hours ago, Brewski_golfs said:

@No_Catchy_Nickname here you go.  Shape is the same as a standard citation, just 240cc.  Found it with a Fenwick graphite shaft which I am assuming is original.  

A9FC3324-10FF-4513-9752-B4FEC191FF5D.jpeg

D5E4EEDD-1796-4456-8DE1-504404AF1867.jpeg

70870130-DA2B-45CC-B826-96E261A1617A.jpeg

78377DBE-B14A-4231-9AE8-696883B9F68B.jpeg

5AEEBCD4-C2EB-4675-8AE1-15118E8560E5.jpeg

Thanks. That's a real beauty. How does it play? I've a Wood Bros Corker, which as the name suggests is also cork filled, and I've hit a couple of huge drives with it. There seems to be a spot in the centre that, if hit, launches a perfect bomb. Very hard to find, but very satisfying to watch when it happens.

The first time I found the spot, I was hitting over an little valley which was out of bounds to a dogleg right fairway. The just took off, not necessary with great height, but with a medium, flat trajectory, and the ball just seemed to hang in the air for ever. I'd never hit one like that before with persimmon, but later in the same round I got another like it, and this time the ball also rolled for ever.

It's just really hard to find that spot...

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 3:24 PM, Brewski_golfs said:

Walked 9 today with this setup.  Powerbilt corked super persimmon driver, my beloved PB 4 wood, a Ginty for the rough, the Spalding top flight legacy 2-10 I recently acquired, original Ping Zing, and I snuck in a Cleveland tour 900 56 degree wedge.  At this point the Cleveland is a 20 year old wedge, that counts as vintage to me.  Absolutely perfect fall weather, sunny and 70, and I played one of my best rounds of the year.  

I actually Played a factory Power Bilt like yours around 01 or so--- It hit good almost as good as my graphite shafted Penna. And yes the shaft you have is factory. My partner in the golf shop was always buying bulk deals from shops surplus inventory or shops going out of business. The one I had came from one of those deals and actually had the plastic on the head and grip. I was playing comp and that was around my transition period from persimmon to metal woods. Like I said it hit good but it had gotten where I could not stay up with the metal headed guys. Got to thinking and honestly do not remember what became of it. 

• Like 3

On 10/2/2021 at 3:24 PM, Brewski_golfs said:

Do not know if I ever told you or not --- Those Irons are remakes of the legendary 53 54 Top Flite Tournament Models. Yours are a little thicker on the soles than the original ones. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GolfNutRiblick said:

Walked 9 tonight.  Not a single other person on the course.  Heavy rain earlier made for a sloppy hike but a par par finish satisfied my soul.

D3681B80-A1FF-447B-BEB3-BA87F48024CC.jpeg

Love the bag itself and it goes without saying the FCs themselves. Wish I was able to walk and carry the same set up. I can still hit the clubs but can not walk over 2 holes or so anymore. I used to love those wet cooler days for walking with the vintage gear. Like you said no one else on the course. And for me it added to the fun of hitting a 2 iron when it was wet and windy. My old course which closed 2 years ago this December I used to walk for free since I was a member. On those days I parked in the parking lot and walked righ over to the 1st tee

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 2

On 10/2/2021 at 7:42 PM, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Went out my local par 3 which I play 2-3 times a week.  I could barely hit these 1967 Haig Ultras.  I think my MacGregors have ruined me as to all intensive purposes these should be more forgiving and easier to hit than my Macs.  Things were so bad I decided to go around a second time.  When I got to hole 6 after toeing three balls directly into the water I walked off the course.  I’ve never done that before.7198367D-8F3F-4FDD-B943-04E6A210FC21.jpeg.e51b3fc6a1ca32742d538a1a7b47b4a6.jpeg

Well like I found out years ago " Once you go Mac you will never go back"

• Like 2

10 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Thanks. That's a real beauty. How does it play? I've a Wood Bros Corker, which as the name suggests is also cork filled, and I've hit a couple of huge drives with it. There seems to be a spot in the centre that, if hit, launches a perfect bomb. Very hard to find, but very satisfying to watch when it happens.

The first time I found the spot, I was hitting over an little valley which was out of bounds to a dogleg right fairway. The just took off, not necessary with great height, but with a medium, flat trajectory, and the ball just seemed to hang in the air for ever. I'd never hit one like that before with persimmon, but later in the same round I got another like it, and this time the ball also rolled for ever.

It's just really hard to find that spot...

This one plays well for me, it launches them when struck well, but it does seem to have a little bit of forgiveness.  I struck a couple towards the toe in the round over the weekend but still got a good 80% of typical distance.  My only challenge is the face is a little closed for my liking, so I found myself trying to mess around with my setup at address, but I wouldn't hesitate to game it again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Do not know if I ever told you or not --- Those Irons are remakes of the legendary 53 54 Top Flite Tournament Models. Yours are a little thicker on the soles than the original ones. 

I saw you mentioned that, I have never had a set of the original Top Flites but would love to pickup a set in the future.  This set played great for me, first hole I had a 160 approach shot and hit the 5 iron to within 10 feet.   Really happy with how they played and this set will stay in the collection.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Brewski_golfs said:

I saw you mentioned that, I have never had a set of the original Top Flites but would love to pickup a set in the future.  This set played great for me, first hole I had a 160 approach shot and hit the 5 iron to within 10 feet.   Really happy with how they played and this set will stay in the collection.

Glad they played well for you---- Yep those were built in the transition days when everyone and their brother were going to CBs. So I know they probably did not make or sell many--- I have actually seen only one set in the "flesh" so to speak. The guy who had those would give them up when they pulled his cold dead fingers off them. He had in the past I know of wore out 3 sets of the 53 and 54 Tournament blades. I have not seen or heard of him in 30 plus years and he was 20 years older than me. Knowing him as I did if he has passed he very well may have had them buried with him no joke

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Brewski_golfs said:

This one plays well for me, it launches them when struck well, but it does seem to have a little bit of forgiveness.  I struck a couple towards the toe in the round over the weekend but still got a good 80% of typical distance.  My only challenge is the face is a little closed for my liking, so I found myself trying to mess around with my setup at address, but I wouldn't hesitate to game it again. 

Get you a ribbed grip and blow it on with air and adjust it a little open for you. If you do not like ribbed grips still leave the ribbed grip on and practice and play with it for a while and get your eyes and body used to the open position. Later on if like I said you do not like the ribbed or Align grip then take it off and put a grip to your liking on it

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 5:46 PM, Jiggered said:

I played in a 4BBB pairs open today with my old winter league partner, he was using modern clubs.

In the bag I had the Slazenger Johnny Miller JM63 woods and irons from 1982 and a John Letters Golden Goose putter.

We dovetailed well and scored 43 points which looks like it will earn us second place, I had a two as well so should win a few balls for that also.

image.png.ec3ac292fb59c5c56aeac289a7024a4c.pngimage.png.64c38a987151cdab1e27f0cabb554ece.png

My goodness look at the length of the hosels on the Johnny Miller’s. Beautiful!

Edited by Forged Hack
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 6:37 PM, GolfNutRiblick said:

Walked 9 tonight.  Not a single other person on the course.  Heavy rain earlier made for a sloppy hike but a par par finish satisfied my soul.

D3681B80-A1FF-447B-BEB3-BA87F48024CC.jpeg

Incredible looking set up.  Same with the Colokroms.  May I ask what type of bags are you using?

I had 22 clubs in the bag today as I was filming for a couple of videos and made a complete change of clubs after 5 holes.

(Luckily no officious types were in the vicinity to call me out on having too many clubs in the bag)

image.png.89ae0bb5441e9a991fba125e15b62009.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

8 hours ago, Jiggered said:

I had 22 clubs in the bag today as I was filming for a couple of videos and made a complete change of clubs after 5 holes.

(Luckily no officious types were in the vicinity to call me out on having too many clubs in the bag)

This preview is a tease! Can't ID much but the Benny putter is a giveaway and spotted a couple of other Ben Sayers in there so a "little bird" tells me we will be in for a Sayers treat!

Can't wait for the premiere!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Foozle said:

This preview is a tease! Can't ID much but the Benny putter is a giveaway and spotted a couple of other Ben Sayers in there so a "little bird" tells me we will be in for a Sayers treat!

Can't wait for the premiere!

You have good eyes!

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

12 hours ago, Jiggered said:

I really like the look of the Ben Sayers wedge on the left, especially the wide sole combined with the shaved topline. Can you show me a shot at address, or is that only available if I sign up on OnlyFans?🤣

• Haha 1