2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

34 minutes ago, Foozle said:

Congratulations Jiggered! 

My only hole in one must now be over 40 years ago. I keep thinking I must be due another by now!

The course was recently redeveloped for to accommodate roadworks so the hole is now lost but I managed this picture whilst the outline was still visible. IMG_20190510_193233167.jpg.5f73066da3dc7de854f8f134cd8f894e.jpgCirca 140 yards from an elevated tee - 8 iron which I saw roll in!

I no doubt suffered the same levelling experience as you did with an inviting pond just beyond the conifers down the left of the next hole! 

What the golf gods give......

Enjoy the moment, I will raise a glass of something appropriate to toast your success! 

That's a beautiful and inviting looking tee shot, what a shame it's lost to us now.

Mine was on the second par 3 (6th hole) often featured in my YouTube videos.

• Like 1

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

8 hours ago, Jiggered said:

Finally got one of golf's monkeys off my back today with my first hole in one, so now I'll bore you with all the details. 😀

Seniors Stableford competition, 140 yards into a light breeze, I hit a 6 iron (Ben Sayers "Silver Crest" circa 1984 for those interested) as pure as I've ever hit a club.
It was right on line and I was hoping to see it land close and give me a chance for a 2 but the ball just disappeared from sight so I guessed I'd hit it too well and it was in the depression behind the green.

Got down there and it wasn't to be seen so I started hunting round in the deep rough behind that but no joy and I gave it up as a lost ball, I did briefly think of checking the hole but the ball is never in the hole when you do that and I'd not seen it land so didn't bother. One of my playing partners then holed out and picked his ball out saying "there're two balls in here".

My ball had gone straight in on the full, there was a quarter ball pitch mark in the side wall of the hole, I was proper pleased. image.gif.bc5600dd2b3c6a5188063c1d3178263d.gif
(And I had a shot so it was a 5 pointer!)

On the par 4 next hole I was about 10 yards short of the green in two but then pulled out the stops with my excellent short game and took five more to get down for a blob! Finished the round with 37 points (38 off full handicap).

image.png.e1fc82bc6cacd3dfacffcced6cbd0aa6.png

image.gif

Nice! I've never had a hole-in-one, but it's certainly one golfing target I wish to achieve. 

I have hit a pitch that landed in the cup, taking out the left edge of the hole on the way. I'm glad yours stayed in, because unfortunately in my case, the ball span clockwise around the hole, shot out the right side, and rolled off the green. As it was a provisional ball, it would have made for an interesting par had it stayed in the hole, but I ended up finding my original ball so it didn't matter in the end.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jiggered said:

Finally got one of golf's monkeys off my back today with my first hole in one, so now I'll bore you with all the details. 😀

Seniors Stableford competition, 140 yards into a light breeze, I hit a 6 iron (Ben Sayers "Silver Crest" circa 1984 for those interested) as pure as I've ever hit a club.
It was right on line and I was hoping to see it land close and give me a chance for a 2 but the ball just disappeared from sight so I guessed I'd hit it too well and it was in the depression behind the green.

Got down there and it wasn't to be seen so I started hunting round in the deep rough behind that but no joy and I gave it up as a lost ball, I did briefly think of checking the hole but the ball is never in the hole when you do that and I'd not seen it land so didn't bother. One of my playing partners then holed out and picked his ball out saying "there're two balls in here".

My ball had gone straight in on the full, there was a quarter ball pitch mark in the side wall of the hole, I was proper pleased. image.gif.bc5600dd2b3c6a5188063c1d3178263d.gif

On the par 4 next hole I was about 10 yards short of the green in two but then pulled out the stops with my excellent short game and took five more to get down for a blob! Finished the round with 37 points (38 off full handicap).

image.gif

Congrats! Great shot

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

9 hours ago, Jiggered said:

image.gif

Congratulations!  And with vintage Ben Sayers goodness to boot.  Definitely in there for maximum syle points!  The only thing that could have made it better is if someone had just told you how much better off you'd be if you were playing modern irons.  Haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/6/2021 at 6:25 PM, scruffynick said:

Not too sure, I'll have a look. The 5 wood was his favourite, and I used the 3 wood for a while in the early 90s. I had tp9s for best on a decade, worn them out by 2000. I'm using my dad's friends ping Karsten 1s at the moment. He died 3 years ago and his wife just started to empty the garage....came across his old pings, so she gave them me. They are great, 40 years old and still look newish. 

Finally got round to having a knock with a few vintage classics, and I took a few pictures of the mizuno pro 5 wood. I creamed it the first time I hit it....had great fun today, a few blades, 3 Dunlop wood with was fantastic to hit and the mizuno pro 5 wood. Ooh I wish we could all go back to playing golf this way.

IMG_20220117_090706.jpg

IMG_20220117_090724.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/10/2022 at 6:45 PM, Jiggered said:

image.gif

Add my congratulations to the list, well played. Sorry to be late to the party, only just seen it.

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2022 at 3:43 AM, scruffynick said:

Finally got round to having a knock with a few vintage classics, and I took a few pictures of the mizuno pro 5 wood. I creamed it the first time I hit it....had great fun today, a few blades, 3 Dunlop wood with was fantastic to hit and the mizuno pro 5 wood. Ooh I wish we could all go back to playing golf this way.

IMG_20220117_090706.jpg

IMG_20220117_090724.jpg

MS-1? Nice looking 5w; sits just about right for me at address.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jiggered said:

Out on my own late afternoon filming for the YouTube channel, holed out for an eagle with an 8 iron from 126 yards!
I had a full set of Slazenger Ambassador circa 1974 in the bag; 1, 3 & 5 woods, 3 to SW and putter.

A pity the light was so poor, shot tracer failed to pick the shot up and even zooming right in in you can barely see the ball land, but here's the pitch mark and ball in hole!

I also had 2 birdies but still only managed 37 Stableford points (gross 83) as there were a couple of horror holes mixed in too.

image.png.e198bc092d936ea99c5f25acbc87a673.png

image.png.28e3a3d0eeeb388f62b76ed1257a4dad.png

image.png.6d614e3c3e2d9c185795d57dd13e14b8.png

image.png.bd693f9ced304c97980b36db0ce3adb3.png

Nice shot! Did it clatter into the flag and drop, or did it spin back and into the hole? The pitch mark is so close, it makes me think you span it back.

Like. A. Boss.

I look forward to the video.

7 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Nice shot! Did it clatter into the flag and drop, or did it spin back and into the hole? The pitch mark is so close, it makes me think you span it back.

Like. A. Boss.

I look forward to the video.

The greens were pretty receptive as we had a fair bit of rain recently and the ball was stopping quickly. I saw one bounce and then it disappeared, I didn't hear anything.

The ball flight was high so I'm guessing it landed and hopped straight in or span back as you say, the ball was on the opposite side of the flagstick to the pitch mark but that could have happened either way.

40 minutes ago, Jiggered said:

Here's the full round:

Two birdies and an eagle! Not bad at all. That putt on 16 looked very close as well. But the pressure putt on the last was probably your best. Ryder Cup stuff indeed!😀

I have to say, I really like the course you play at. Some interesting holes, a bit of water, and lots of great scenery. 

• Like 1

Really cool!  Thanks for sharing! 👍

• Like 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

On 2/13/2022 at 8:40 AM, Jiggered said:

Here's the full round:

Outstanding idea and great round!  I was worried on 18 when you started your putting setup and then did "The OL' Doug Sanders" and scraped the loose impediment away, that it would throw you off 🙂 .   But you refocused and drained the putt in fine fashion.  Well done!

• Like 1

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

4 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Bit of a surprise nine holes today as the daughter announced that she wanted to play. It was wet, and pretty cold (5~6*C, which is a little over 40*F). I took a couple of Mizuno woods, some Mac MT R58 irons (made for Japanese market in, I think, the Nineties. Rumour has it they are Miura forged), and a Staff JPII SW at 56*. The Putter was a random old find that I picked up late last year. It's OK, but needs the lead tape treatment. Way too light as it is.

I was hitting the ball really well, but couldn't get the distance right with the SW. It feels beautiful, and cuts through the turf nicely, but it's long! I mean, an easy swing sends the ball  way further than any other wedge I have of comparable loft. Maybe it's the heavy D8 swing weight?

Putted poorly, and one OB hurt my score (6 GiR, but scored 42). The OB came on my best struck drive, which added salt to the wounds. Incidentally, I love this driver. Not the prettiest, but it just feels right. Hit some real crackers today. 

First picture is of birdie putt that I missed. 410 yards. Driver downhill, second up a steep hill, basically blind. Smashing driver, beautiful PW that covered the flag to about 5ft....and missed the putt. Summed up the round.931658068_Biridechanceonthesixth(missed).jpg.acb54eec4e4c9a061d11e5cbc53ad114.jpg2035733324_FirstHole.jpg.ff277e88a19efe967f48434e16c2a39f.jpg1890913677_Fromthe6thhole.jpg.a410429eaeaa9afc1a45d9a84a799288.jpg1439772927_Lookingdowntheninth.jpg.c93d71e96f4ea988fae86f54b1f6ef51.jpg541617851_MizunoDriverand4w.jpg.e842c6d3d10771b43a8713f2626e43f5.jpg349940462_Plumblossomsonthe8th.jpg.cfa1062b78a31d0b5e267f331b773685.jpg681725423_WiTBFeb2022ironsandwedges.jpg.e9e3b3f2e033e98369e78f6fcab91165.jpg1677219732_WiTBFeb2022MizunoMS-34wsole.jpg.d064c2b12f9cb9ef9b6b0e57d8db8f97.jpg66780633_WiTBFeb2022MizunoOriginalDriverface.jpg.a4152ed8ef283215f748602a531c2de1.jpg1782386437_WiTBpersimmonFeb2022.jpg.1718d3ee9aad1b99c08db4afde724207.jpg

WiTB Feb 2022 putter.jpg

Really cool irons!

• Thanks 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

12 hours ago, raggal62 said:

Nice course you have there Catchy! Looks to be early springtime there with the flowering tree. Still dead of winter here.

Outstanding choice of clubs too!

It's an ume tree, which is sometimes called a plum tree but is actually a Japanese Apricot. They are one of the first signs of spring, though we've still got some way to go before the grass turns green again.

7 hours ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

The cold months here in Chicago sure make me miss posting in this thread.

Here's a throwback of a documented round of vintage for me.  This was at the South Shore Country Club in Chicago.  

I played a set of 63 Mac FC4000s.  This is into my first full year of golf, so pardon the ugly swings but this was a fun day for me as to I remember hole 6 was the first time I tried a 2wood.   I played with my buddy Christian Williams who has a great youtube account and has helped spread the vintage game.

After struggling with various drivers.  I kept the 2wood in the bag for the rest of the year and I've got a few more I'm hoping to try out once it warms up!

Great video. It will be a while before I can get out my hickory clubs as we are expecting snow tonight. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hickory4ever said:

Great video. It will be a while before I can get out my hickory clubs as we are expecting snow tonight. 

Thanks.  I forgot how green the grass gets around here!!

Do you wait a bit for the ground to soften up before taking the hickory clubs out?

Edited by cold_war_era_golfer
  • Like 1

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

44 minutes ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Thanks.  I forgot how green the grass gets around here!!

Do you wait a bit for the ground to soften up before taking the hickory clubs out?

We will usually bring the hickories out once the temperature gets above 5 degrees C (40 F) and I play one of my sets with rustless irons. I prefer to use replica woods until 10 C. My 1928 matching set of Walter Hagen irons are my first choice in the early going. 

If the weather is iffy, we might play classic clubs instead, but prefer to get the hickories out as early as we can. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

The cold months here in Chicago sure make me miss posting in this thread.

Here's a throwback of a documented round of vintage for me.  This was at the South Shore Country Club in Chicago.  

I played a set of 63 Mac FC4000s.  This is into my first full year of golf, so pardon the ugly swings but this was a fun day for me as to I remember hole 6 was the first time I tried a 2wood.   I played with my buddy Christian Williams who has a great youtube account and has helped spread the vintage game.

After struggling with various drivers.  I kept the 2wood in the bag for the rest of the year and I've got a few more I'm hoping to try out once it warms up! 

Nice video, I remember watching that one.

I'm  a fan of the Hickory Hacker but I think he's going down the wrong path with his single plane swing, his style seems to have gone completely and his scoring doesn't look to have improved. 

I keep thinking of commenting so on his videos but I don't want to be discouraging.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jiggered said:

Nice video, I remember watching that one.

I'm  a fan of the Hickory Hacker but I think he's going down the wrong path with his single plane swing, his style seems to have gone completely and his scoring doesn't look to have improved. 

I keep thinking of commenting so on his videos but I don't want to be discouraging.

I need some serious lessons on it before I could really even comment. I'm considering myself a beginner still and the thought of holding the single plane just sounds extremely difficult to me.  Christian has a heck of a work ethic though!  He's always fun to golf with.

Edited by cold_war_era_golfer
  • Like 3

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

4 hours ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

I need some serious lessons on it before I could really even comment. I'm considering myself a beginner still and the thought of holding the single plane just sounds extremely difficult to me.  Christian has a heck of a work ethic though!  He's always fun to golf with.

I remember watching your video. I'm a big fan of Christian's, and while he's having his challenges with the single-plane swing I think he'll eventually start hitting them straighter. He really needs to stay out of the long grass, it's a hole wrecker. His putting looks like it's gotten better, but he needs to take a little more time to read the greens properly. One thing I think would help him a lot is if he could have someone else handle his camera, leaving him free to concentrate on his golf. No matter, I'm looking forward to meeting him if and when he comes up to Worcester to play at Green Hill GC.