2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

15 hours ago, BIG STU said:

The Haigs had more bounce and a wider sole plus more weight on the bottom end to help some get the ball up in the air better. Remember everyone's swing and AOA is different and different clubs play differently for different folks. Good example with the Haigs I would probably get a lot of funky shots because of the bounce. My instinctive swing is geared towards thin soles with less bounce. One of the reasons I have problems hitting most modern CBs with the cambered soles. It all has to do with the era and type of clubs one learned the game with

Interesting!  I think I may have directly experienced this without actually knowing it!

I played a set of '63 Mac FC4000s pretty much all last spring early summer.  I then I tried a set of 1967 Haigs which have an even wider sole than the early 60s Haigs. 

They looked like game improvement irons compared to my thin soled Macs but I couldn't hit them worth a darn.  Literally teaching myself to golf with early 60s Macs has probably had some effect on my style.  The '63-64 Haigs I posted above are wider soled than the Macs, but not as wide as the '67 Haigs.  They played much more friendly to my style(or lack thereof).

• Like 3

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

16 hours ago, BIG STU said:

The Haigs had more bounce and a wider sole plus more weight on the bottom end to help some get the ball up in the air better. Remember everyone's swing and AOA is different and different clubs play differently for different folks. Good example with the Haigs I would probably get a lot of funky shots because of the bounce. My instinctive swing is geared towards thin soles with less bounce. One of the reasons I have problems hitting most modern CBs with the cambered soles. It all has to do with the era and type of clubs one learned the game with

It's funny, Stu...  my swing is really a bit steeper, due to my shorter than average arm length and very slightly above average height.  But, possibly because of all the time I spent playing Golden Rams, I tend to do fairly well with those thinner soles.

You'd think it wouldn't follow, due to the more upright swing, but they still work pretty well for me.

I *do* take some healthy divots, though.  LOL

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

2 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

It's funny, Stu...  my swing is really a bit steeper, due to my shorter than average arm length and very slightly above average height.  But, possibly because of all the time I spent playing Golden Rams, I tend to do fairly well with those thinner soles.

You'd think it wouldn't follow, due to the more upright swing, but they still work pretty well for me.

I *do* take some healthy divots, though.  LOL

The main thing is getting through them. The butter knife edges help in that department. I take some Beaver pelts myself. Now there are some shots where I deliberately stick the club in the ground and leave it there though like the pop chop and a thump wedge. I was taught to hit down and through the ball and I deloft at takeaway

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

52 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

The main thing is getting through them. The butter knife edges help in that department. I take some Beaver pelts myself. Now there are some shots where I deliberately stick the club in the ground and leave it there though like the pop chop and a thump wedge. I was taught to hit down and through the ball and I deloft at takeaway

Geez guys you are making my elbows sore just reading your posts!

Edited by raggal62
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Wham49 said:

I'm tall and steep so when I get a good set of vintage thinner soles I put a more modern edge grind. I make it very dull and rounded the old sharp edges with no bounce and inch wide sole makes it hard to get through on the lush thick midwestern fairways.

Cool you have to modify to make it work for you. It has been over 20 years but I have played some in Indiana Michigan and Wisconsin. 

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Speaking of Indiana...I'm there in South Bend now waiting for the birth of my grandson, and bored out of my skull. Today, even though its on & off raining, I visit some courses. I pull into Juday Creek and there are carts parked outside the pro shop(a good sign even though its 50 degrees and drizzling). They tell me they have rental clubs, and I can only play the front 9 and CPO! I move on to check out Warren...really nice, but closed. I pull into Morris Park, another nice course, but its private. I go to check out Erskine, and only two cars in the lot, but, the pins are all placed in greens. I go in the pro shop and I'm greeted by the gentleman behind the counter and another patron. I'm informed that I can certainly go out to play with a cart, no CPO, and they have rental clubs........but, he warns me they are vintage clubs....about 15 year old Nike Sumo's! I laugh and tell him my 50 year old blades at home, are vintage. He asks where I'm from and I tell him So Cal. He starts trying to talk about which courses in this area are similar to what I may play at home...I eventually cut him off and say your Erskine looks just fine to me. I ask if he has anymore vintage rental sets(the more vintage the better) so that my son-n-law's father can join me. He says he believes they do but will have to confirm. I tell him have it ready, in a few days when the weather settles down, we'll come play Erskine. Can't wait to get out there.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Wham49 said:

I'm tall and steep so when I get a good set of vintage thinner soles I put a more modern edge grind. I make it very dull and rounded the old sharp edges with no bounce and inch wide sole makes it hard to get through on the lush thick midwestern fairways.

Where in the midwest is this? 

If the ground isn't hard in the spring the grass is still coming in, by August its all dried out.  I think I get about a month of "lush thick" fairways in the Chicagoland area.

Although to be fair the grade of course I play is usually muni minus.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Where in the midwest is this? 

If the ground isn't hard in the spring the grass is still coming in, by August its all dried out.  I think I get about a month of "lush thick" fairways in the Chicagoland area.

Although to be fair the grade of course I play is usually muni minus.

I play spring valley in the spring as you do, very muddy, but hard in the late summer. that is the best place to play vintage clubs as I mentioned in another thread with you.  I also play around Kenosha and northern Illinois. The place I play the most at Brighton Dale which is always lush and wet so is Meadowbrook in Racine and Shepards Crook which is just over the WI-Ill border I thInk it is Winthrop HArbor or ZION. I am going to play a lot at Midlane this year which is in Wadsworth we'll see how lush that is wouldnt mind it playing a little harder

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wham49 said:

I play spring valley in the spring as you do, very muddy, but hard in the late summer. that is the best place to play vintage clubs as I mentioned in another thread with you.  I also play around Kenosha and northern Illinois. The place I play the most at Brighton Dale which is always lush and wet so is Meadowbrook in Racine and Shepards Crook which is just over the WI-Ill border I thInk it is Winthrop HArbor or ZION. I am going to play a lot at Midlane this year which is in Wadsworth we'll see how lush that is wouldnt mind it playing a little harder

I've only played Spring Valley of those you mentioned.  I was playing mid March last year and the ground was a mix of hard/little grass(still in the 40s temps) and then as you say muddy.  

I golf out there with a guy who played it a lot growing up and although I never made it out in the fall he told me by August when it's dry its a persimmon drivers dream due to all the extra roll you pick up on the fairyways.

I'm liking the pricing at Brighton Dale!  

I'm north of Chicago but I go as far south as Jackson Park and South Shore Country Club.  Sadly those two courses may be gone soon so I hope to play them a lot this year.   Both are Chicago Park District so currently not very lush in terms I would imagine more serious golfers think of.

I play unique courses that probably don't get the care most of the more serious courses get.  Canal Shores was a late find for me last year and I could probably spend 85 percent of my golf time out there.

Longer courses I play are Heritage Oaks(previously known as Sportsmans)(Northbrook), Willow Hill(Northbrook), and White Pines in Bensenville

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

I've only played Spring Valley of those you mentioned.  I was playing mid March last year and the ground was a mix of hard/little grass(still in the 40s temps) and then as you say muddy.  

I golf out there with a guy who played it a lot growing up and although I never made it out in the fall he told me by August when it's dry its a persimmon drivers dream due to all the extra roll you pick up on the fairyways.

I'm north of Chicago but I go as far south as Jackson Park and South Shore Country Club.  Sadly those two courses may be gone soon so I hope to play them a lot this year.   Both are Chicago Park District so currently not very lush in terms I would imagine more serious golfers think of.

I play unique courses that probably don't get the care most of the more serious courses get.  Canal Shores was a late find for me last year and I could probably spend 85 percent of my golf time out there.

Longer courses I play are Heritage Oaks(previously known as Sportsmans)(Northbrook), Willow Hill(Northbrook), and White Pines in Bensenville

I say try Brighton Dale great courses, the white is a little harder, the Blue is more fun, fantastic palce to play. Too wet and thick IMO, also check out Shepards Crook or midlane. Yes Spring Valley in august is hard and get tons of roll, struggle to hit a full iron off of it sometimes though. Let me know if you want to come up for any of those. I'll show you around

• Like 1

Today's round will be at Longwood GC in Cypress, TX.  Burning up saved round credits with my youngest son.  We'll both be sporting Titleists, but mine are early '70s and his are 2019s.  Second time with this set for me.  Only change from factory is fresh GP tour wrap grips on the woods.  They were just too slick to use as I got them.  I'm sure the irons have been regripped a few times in their life.  

41EEC30D-32D5-4637-A4D5-026BD217B93C.jpeg.f122ea95eb31f944b16e186521a2cce0.jpeg

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4/5 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 6-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore RTX Tour Raw 52/56

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

I played Mellomar here in Southern Maryland from the long tees (about 3000 yards for 9 per Arccos). Usually the greens are terrible but they just redid them for the year and they are the nicest I have ever seen them at this course.

Walked the completely empty course using the Wilson Whale driver and Ping eye 2 5/7/9/PW in a Sunday bag. My putter was a 1990's maybe , Carbide Polar Balanced, a no name throw in on a random bag I bought that I have been hitting really well.

Shot 41 for 9 , got things rolling well with a birdie and then par. Scored 1 over on a par 3 I usually always par, was 1 over on the par 5 due to a bad drive that I have been hitting par on.

Usually use my 9 wood on the 170 something last par 3 but didn't bring it today and hit a terrible 5 iron that required a 50 yard pitch that I somehow nailed to within 10'. Of course then I 2 putted.

My birdie putt on 9 stopped a 1/4" shy of dropping, it was about 13' so I was happy with the effort. I played 9 on this same course last July, one of the first times I had ever golfed and shot a 64.

Edited by DCCarpenter
  • Like 2

Nike Titanium Forged Driver

Louisville Golf 3 & 5 Woods

Ping Eye 2 green dot  3 iron to Sand Wedge

Ping Anser 

On 3/24/2022 at 9:45 AM, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Better enjoy White Pines while you can. I’ve been seeing articles in the paper that Bensenville wants at least half of it for homes and the local park district wants to redo the remainder as an all purpose sports facility. Sad in that it was always a great spot to hit late in the season at a great price.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 4:57 PM, cold_war_era_golfer said:

54 degrees and raining in the Chicagoland area.  I had the day off and decided to play at my local par 3 as to its free and if the rain picked up no harm in just walking off the course.

I had the entire course to myself and got a lot of practice shots in.  Last week I took a set of Dynapowered Staffs out and had a surprisingly great round.  Well it happened again today.  This a coming of an entire season of being MacGregor loyalist with a few rounds thrown in with Arnold Palmer Trumatics.   I will say this Wilson got the blade right in 1960.  

I hope to get a few more rounds in this fall and see if this Wilson streak is just a fluke.  
6F05F51C-2358-4632-98D7-E7CB563AD8EF.jpeg.9fa2e55f77408177c2b41f7a62175ad5.jpeg56CC676B-0846-4BD5-AF1B-AC6CBB99531B.jpeg.f1daee8669d3ba62dc381f439e5371be.jpeg

I have this exact set, with the leather. I have been trying to get the leather back. I tried the saddle soap then Vaseline for 24 hours. Have done it twice now. They are better but think they can get much softer any tips on softening the leather grips?

1 hour ago, Wham49 said:

I have this exact set, with the leather. I have been trying to get the leather back. I tried the saddle soap then Vaseline for 24 hours. Have done it twice now. They are better but think they can get much softer any tips on softening the leather grips?

Yes.  

Depending on the shape of the grip I might start with gojo original cleaner and work it in with my hands.  

Then I will do the lexol leather cleaner 2 step process.  Both bottles 1 and 2 I work in with my hands.  Both bottles say to wipe away excess with a rag but I work both in to the point they don't need to be wiped away.   I will then wait a few days to a week and do bottle 2 again. 

I have tried saddle soap and neatsfoot oil per recommendations here and facebook groups but I personally could never get a desirable result from either.

Here's a set I did a few weeks ago.

275918345_10100945300308179_8405956512461284661_n.jpg.c972e48b2b7ebcf57b5a385234c6828d.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, seis said:

Better enjoy White Pines while you can. I’ve been seeing articles in the paper that Bensenville wants at least half of it for homes and the local park district wants to redo the remainder as an all purpose sports facility. Sad in that it was always a great spot to hit late in the season at a great price.

Now that is sad! 

15 minutes ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Yes.  

Depending on the shape of the grip I might start with gojo original cleaner and work it in with my hands.  

Then I will do the lexol leather cleaner 2 step process.  Both bottles 1 and 2 I work in with my hands.  Both bottles say to wipe away excess with a rag but I work both in to the point they don't need to be wiped away.   I will then wait a few days to a week and do bottle 2 again. 

I have tried saddle soap and neatsfoot oil per recommendations here and facebook groups but I personally could never get a desirable result from either.

275918345_10100945300308179_8405956512461284661_n.jpg.c972e48b2b7ebcf57b5a385234c6828d.jpg

thank you, they are pretty well off especially since the 2 cleanings I did. Will try. Can I get those cleaners at the hardware store?

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 1:20 AM, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Yes.  

Good grief, those ferrules are superb!

36 minutes ago, Hickory4ever said:

Todays round was special. On Sunday, I finally got my set of 1978 Wilson Staff irons from a very good friend of mine, arguably the best vintage club doctor in Ontario. It was in his personal collection and in very good condition. This set is special to me as my first new set of clubs were this very model, albeit with regular shaft flex this time around. I added my similar vintage Powerbilt Citation woods, Wilson 60’s era SW and my reliable Otey Crisman putter. 

I managed a nice 85 despite playing tees that were more suited to playing modern woods. The irons are fantastic and I played well with them. My only regret is that I should have brought the 2 iron along as I hit the 3 iron solidly on several shots. The PB Citations are my favourite classic woods and are very reliable. I will be doing this again soon, although I have also acquired a set of Kenneth Smith woods and irons which are begging to be played.

But tomorrow is going to be a hickory golf day. My recently acquired Walter Hagens are eagerly awaiting their chance to come out to play, and they are getting their chance.

Its great being retired and having so many great vintage toys to play with.

Sounds great!  How’s the weather treating you?

4 hours ago, Hickory4ever said:

The weather has been highs of 12-14 C which has been very nice for this time of year. It is a little wet in places, expected at this time of year.

Still somewhat surprised that you are getting out as much as you have been.  Nothing is open yet down here in Niagara that I'm aware of, but they will be opening up this weekend.  Hoping to get out for my initial 2022 game on Monday.  I'd kill to find an open range just to hit a few full swing balls.

• Like 2

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

21 minutes ago, scomac2002 said:

Still somewhat surprised that you are getting out as much as you have been.  Nothing is open yet down here in Niagara that I'm aware of, but they will be opening up this weekend.  Hoping to get out for my initial 2022 game on Monday.  I'd kill to find an open range just to hit a few full swing balls.

Nothing but rain and cold temperatures.  A steady rain yesterday.  Intermittent rain/snow forecasted for tomorrow (good grief!).  Some courses have technically opened, but hard to believe they're getting any play.  Have to be extremely soggy.  And nothing on the horizon indicates much of an improvement.  Warming mid-week next, but forecasting three more days of rain.  Drove by a nearby course and vast portions of it had standing water.  Going to take a couple weeks for it to dry out.  All the way out to 4/16, and not one day looks promising.  Not into golfing on a bog, in 45* temps.  

With you brother, I'd be happy to find an open grass range just to get out and fly some balls.  Begin getting the bod back into some semblance of golf shape.  Seems a bit more cantankerous one year further on.  NTM, the swing.  Haven't hit a golf ball since early November.  Soon.  By June.  Maybe.

• Sad 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

1 hour ago, scomac2002 said:

Today will be game 11 since March 16. The courses that I have played are well drained and even though there are some wet spots are quite playable. My home course opens on Monday (I live in the middle of it) which will be nice. The range has been open for a week, although limited to hitting off the mats.

I am really looking forward to playing hickory today. The opportunity to try my new to me set of Walter Hagen irons (1926 or so) is intriguing. The weather is looking great for this afternoon.

For Fellaheen51, I am sorry that your weather has been so challenging. Selfishly, I hope it doesn’t get exported to us.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Hickory4ever said:

Today will be game 11 since March 16. The courses that I have played are well drained and even though there are some wet spots are quite playable. My home course opens on Monday (I live in the middle of it) which will be nice. The range has been open for a week, although limited to hitting off the mats.

I am really looking forward to playing hickory today. The opportunity to try my new to me set of Walter Hagen irons (1926 or so) is intriguing. The weather is looking great for this afternoon.

For Fellaheen51, I am sorry that your weather has been so challenging. Selfishly, I hope it doesn’t get exported to us.

So jealous!  I've been out twice.  I'm not retired but last year at this time I had been out 7 times.  Lots of snow, rain, and temps in lower 40s during days and 30s at night has kept about half the courses I play still closed.  

As planned, I tried out my Walter Hagen hickory set that I acquired recently. The temperature ranged from 10-14 C with a good wind blowing. I was playing Dragonsfire which is a very good and tough golf course. They had rolled and cut the greens for the first time this spring making them quite difficult. I also tried out my newly acquired Chicopee putter in honour of Bobby Jones. It is a very good putter but I still prefer my Schenectady.

This is my second set of Walter Hagen irons. The first set is a complete 8 iron set from around 1928 and is one of the first to have numbers. This new set is rustless, but is not numbered and was pieced together with four of the six irons from the same set. They are in excellent condition and their SW are very good, not requiring any lead tape. They are going to be one of my favourites, especially when I get them some new suede grips. I also played an early 1930’s Hagen sand wedge and it is rare and plays very well. 

The 86 scored was quite respectable. Unfortunately, one triple bogey and a couple of doubles, mostly due to not knowing the specific yardages and of course adapting to the newly acquired putter. 

It has been a great three days playing clubs from three different eras. If the weather cooperates, I might play tomorrow as well, the joys of retirement.

• Like 4

4th round of the season. Making up for lost time earlier this April.  At the Park District par three that is about a 2i with the wind at my back from my front door.

I get a season pass for $219 and get unlimited rounds so I went around twice this afternoon.  

I moved up in time from my 1961 M Tourneys to 1962.   The 3w is from 1962 and the Cash-in is of similar vintage.  

Last year I played a set of 1963 M Tourneys regularly.  They didn’t have the D.S but the 11. According to Kaplan the D.S wedge was removed from the line in 1963. 

I really like that 11i and they made one for ‘62. But the D.S appears to be more common in sets being sold used of the pre 1963 vintage.  My ‘61 and ‘58 sets have the D.S as well.  

The soles on the earlier ones are wider and they get thinner as the years progress.  

I’ve never liked the looks of these opting for the 11i.  I’ve had some nice chips with these D.S wedges this spring. I think once the grass gets thicker they will be even more valuable.  I think the trick is to not over swing and let gravity sort of take over on the down swing.

DB1003FA-7CC4-45E5-87F1-C782801F0F9C.jpeg.8df63e3f4908e201ed328a99ce963ad2.jpeg

• Like 4