Anyone else disappointed in the SLDR? - OP REVIEW ON PG 14 9/13/13

DaBigSaus

[quote name='jabroni23' timestamp='1376004023' post='7635916']
[quote name='Rebel420' timestamp='1375986684' post='7633954']
[quote name='jabroni23' timestamp='1375982429' post='7633232']
[quote name='Shankopottamus' timestamp='1375976614' post='7632260']
Love this thread. Learned some things today. The Black R1 is different than the White R1 in design/purpose but also color. Learned that some golfers aren't satisfied with 250 carry and 50 yard roll AND that the two combined equal 300. We learned how some people don't like the club, some people like the club, and some people don't find it any better or worse than their current. I guess I don't know if I'm a high spinner or low spinner, though. Some days I hit my driver straight and long and other days I fade or draw on occasion. My longest drives ever are with a Bridgestone J33R but I have to be really on my game. I've never found anything much better than a few drivers I own but I still want to buy new ones every other day.
[/quote]

Exactly...."[color=#282828]Carry 250, roll another 50 = 300. Not my kind of golf"[/color]....Not my kind of golf either. My kind of golf is 20-30 yards less roll. Sounds like a good problem to have.
[/quote]

I'd be happy with 20yds roll. My normal drive is hit the ball 250, and watch it spin back 10!
[/quote]

That's because we live in the Northeast my friend. Most of the time your ball mark from a drive is within a club length of your ball in the fairway. BTW, 20 yards of roll was when we had the heatwave last month. Our other golfwrx brethren in the lower states are spoiled getting to golf more than 7-8 months a year . :golfer:
[/quote]

Northeast can still get roll. I get 10 yards sometimes!!! Lol.

I

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='deck' timestamp='1376016174' post='7637306']
Love this thread. Learned some things today. The Black R1 is different than the White R1 in design/purpose but also color. Learned that some golfers aren't satisfied with 250 carry and 50 yard roll AND that the two combined equal 300. We learned how some people don't like the club, some people like the club, and some people don't find it any better or worse than their current. I guess I don't know if I'm a high spinner or low spinner, though. Some days I hit my driver straight and long and other days I fade or draw on occasion. My longest drives ever are with a Bridgestone J33R but I have to be really on my game. I've never found anything much better than a few drivers I own but I still want to buy new ones every other day.
[/quote]

Exactly...."[color=#282828]Carry 250, roll another 50 = 300. Not my kind of golf"[/color]....Not my kind of golf either. My kind of golf is 20-30 yards less roll. Sounds like a good problem to have.
[/quote]

I'd be happy with 20yds roll. My normal drive is hit the ball 250, and watch it spin back 10!
[/quote]

That's because we live in the Northeast my friend. Most of the time your ball mark from a drive is within a club length of your ball in the fairway. BTW, 20 yards of roll was when we had the heatwave last month. Our other golfwrx brethren in the lower states are spoiled getting to golf more than 7-8 months a year . :golfer:
[/quote]

I
[/quote]
Sure...our roll in the northeast, though looks like the infomercial for the swing doctor wedges

In all seriousness though, I'd rather lose a few yards of roll on a drive and have my iron shots stop dead than get the extra roll on drives plus 10 yds roll on my pitching wedge as well

Just wish our golf season was longer though!

Zolex 0 CC "The Hammer" driver
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

[quote name='woods991' timestamp='1376012615' post='7636844']
[quote name='9ccat9' timestamp='1375982289' post='7633206']
[quote name='winn0040' timestamp='1375977083' post='7632358']
[quote name='Ti-Cip ' timestamp='1375975586' post='7632078']
if you like your black r1 better than the sldr, it makes sense. probably because you cannot generate the club head speed to properly launch the sldr. the black r1 is NOT the white r1 painted black!! it is designed differently vs the white r1. it is designed to launch higher, WITH more spin!!
sldr: higher launch, low spin
white r1: lower launch , low spin
black r1: higher launch, higher spin
[/quote]

This information is just plain wrong.
[/quote]

The white R1 specs lower than the 10* in most heads
The black R1 specs at 10* or slightly above in most heads.
Due to these slight differences the black in testing for most launches a little higher with slightly higher spin.

Enjoy
[/quote]

Some of the worst info ever, the heads are exactly the same! not sure on the kool aid you are drinking.
[/quote]you can take 10 R1 10.5 degree drivers off rack and thry will all come oit diffeeent in loft.......tolerance isnt tight at all in production heads......especially TM

[quote name='Rebel420' timestamp='1376016565' post='7637336']
[quote name='deck' timestamp='1376016174' post='7637306']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I
[/quote]
Sure...our roll in the northeast, though looks like the infomercial for the swing doctor wedges

In all seriousness though, I'd rather lose a few yards of roll on a drive and have my iron shots stop dead than get the extra roll on drives plus 10 yds roll on my pitching wedge as well

Just wish our golf season was longer though!
[/quote]

I agree. That's why I'm all about the carry with my drives.

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

[quote name='Golfrnut' timestamp='1375982728' post='7633288']
And yet there is one very huge statistic that is missing from all this. How many people were actually fit for the driver? Answer is probably pretty close to 0%. I don't understand how so many can expect so much from an off-the-rack club.
[/quote]

25 of us were professionally fit by TM specifically for this club.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

everybody has confirmation love it but nobody has proof, provide an email, this is so typical of this board at times, all BS and zero proof to back it up. There is no difference in the R1 heads, no lets get back on the OP on the SLDR.

Signature of Solon CC

Ping g430 10k 9 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

Titleist Tsr1 15 tour ad di6

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max blue Tpt shaft 34/71

[quote name='gunmetal' timestamp='1376018856' post='7637556']
[quote name='lawsonman' timestamp='1375917465' post='7627544']
TM marketing guy was on Sirius PGA tour radio the other day saying to expect a 20 yard increase with the Slider. Just sayin'
[/quote]

Spoken like a true TM Marketing exec.
[/quote]

LOL, every year we gain 7-20 yards more, so under my calculation next year the R2 SLDR reflux should add another 20 yards so everybody should be driving the ball on average 490 if you add all of the yards each year we pick up, just sayin'.

Signature of Solon CC

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

[quote name='woods991' timestamp='1376019730' post='7637668']
TM marketing guy was on Sirius PGA tour radio the other day saying to expect a 20 yard increase with the Slider. Just sayin'
[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL, every year we gain 7-20 yards more, so under my calculation next year the R2 SLDR reflux should add another 20 yards so everybody should be driving the ball on average 490 if you add all of the yards each year we pick up, just sayin'.
[/quote]
Considering that the average golfer hits the ball approximately 220 or so off the tee, ( unlike big bombers such as yourself, I guess), most of us won't be seeing 490 off the tee any time soon. But, most golfers have had healthy distance improvements by moving to the newest driver technology. While TM's distance claims do not make everyone who uses their products much longer, there are enough who do benefit to make the distance claims very viable. As a fitter, I see the gains every day. Just not from everyone. It seems that those who already have technically sound swings benefit the least from the newer offerings. Those whose swings are not as sound, benefit the most.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

and what exactly tells you that I am not a big bomber? Secondly, you are one of many fitters, you are telling me information that I know, I am a huge advocate of fitting, average people walking in the big box stores and getting the driver off of the shelf with the intentions of gaining extra yards is a joke. But back on the subject, the claim of gaining yards is insane and over marketed at this point, the COR is exactly that the COR, we have maxed out. The moving of weights only works so long, again over marketed. So as you see distance increases, which i believe once one gets fitted may all be true, but the pros and claims of extra distance is non sense, look at the numbers on the tour, they have not changed in recent times (small variance at best). The fact of the matter is this is all opinion, my R1 with KK TIni is just fine compared to the SLDR TP and that is why I responded to this post, I tried the SLDr and again nothing special, gained nothing to my current gamer.

Signature of Solon CC

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

[quote name='woods991' timestamp='1376021852' post='7637894']
and what exactly tells you that I am not a big bomber? Secondly, you are one of many fitters, you are telling me information that I know, I am a huge advocate of fitting, average people walking in the big box stores and getting the driver off of the shelf with the intentions of gaining extra yards is a joke. But back on the subject, the claim of gaining yards is insane and over marketed at this point, the COR is exactly that the COR, we have maxed out. The moving of weights only works so long, again over marketed. So as you see distance increases, which i believe once one gets fitted may all be true, but the pros and claims of extra distance is non sense, look at the numbers on the tour, they have not changed in recent times (small variance at best). The fact of the matter is this is all opinion, my R1 with KK TIni is just fine compared to the SLDR TP and that is why I responded to this post, I tried the SLDr and again nothing special, gained nothing to my current gamer.
[/quote]
I think I suggested that you are a big bomber. If not, my apologies. Like I said earlier, those with sound swings seem to benefit the least from new technology. What is nonsense for you, is real gains for many others. I get to see the big picture. You see what works for you. But to make a blanket statement simply because you are not the beneficiary of greater distances from the SLDR or any other new club is simply not right and it may lead those who may otherwise be helped by the change to think that there is no equipment help out there for them to take advantage of and that is simply wrong. You have a driver that works better for YOU than the current offerings and I am pleased that you do. But I can assure you that what you claim to be nonsense is exactly the kind of nonsense that others need in order for them to have the right driver in their bag too.

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1376020970' post='7637824']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Considering that the average golfer hits the ball approximately 220 or so off the tee, ( unlike big bombers such as yourself, I guess), most of us won't be seeing 490 off the tee any time soon. [i][b]But, most golfers have had healthy distance improvements by moving to the newest driver technology.[/b][/i] While TM's distance claims do not make everyone who uses their products much longer, there are enough who do benefit to make the distance claims very viable. As a fitter, I see the gains every day. Just not from everyone. It seems that those who already have technically sound swings benefit the least from the newer offerings. Those whose swings are not as sound, benefit the most.
[/quote]

As a fitter then you would have the technical know how to explain exactly how that's possible, correct? For over a decade, COR/CT has been maxed. Legally, the ball cannot trampoline off the face anymore than it did ten years ago. MOI is maxed. Aerodynamics is sheer rubbish because of the changing orientation of the clubhead on the downswing. Lighter clubheads are stupid because distance isn't about light weight, it's about right weight. So with due respect, I'd love for you to explain how going from one driver head to the next equates to ten, twenty, and thirty more yards over a few years. And please don't come at me with spin and launch angles. As a fitter you would know very well that 99% of golfers with sub 95mph SS need MORE spin and in terms of distance both of those parameters are golfer swing specific. What new technology is causing this distance boom you speak of and is nowhere to be found on the PGA tour?

I realize my response may be a little *****y, and I apologize for that. I'm not trying to be confrontational. I just find it hard to believe that every day average golfers are suddenly bombing by going from the R9 to the SLDR or in 6 months (err 3 months) when they go to the from the SLDR to the SLDR S.

[quote name='gunmetal' timestamp='1376025466' post='7638208']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Considering that the average golfer hits the ball approximately 220 or so off the tee, ( unlike big bombers such as yourself, I guess), most of us won't be seeing 490 off the tee any time soon. [i][b]But, most golfers have had healthy distance improvements by moving to the newest driver technology.[/b][/i] While TM's distance claims do not make everyone who uses their products much longer, there are enough who do benefit to make the distance claims very viable. As a fitter, I see the gains every day. Just not from everyone. It seems that those who already have technically sound swings benefit the least from the newer offerings. Those whose swings are not as sound, benefit the most.
[/quote]

As a fitter then you would have the technical know how to explain exactly how that's possible, correct? For over a decade, COR/CT has been maxed. Legally, the ball cannot trampoline off the face anymore than it did ten years ago. MOI is maxed. Aerodynamics is sheer rubbish because of the changing orientation of the clubhead on the downswing. Lighter clubheads are stupid because distance isn't about light weight, it's about right weight. So with due respect, I'd love for you to explain how going from one driver head to the next equates to ten, twenty, and thirty more yards over a few yards. And please don't come at me with spin and launch angles. As a fitter you would know very well that 99% of golfers with sub 95mph SS need MORE spin and in terms of distance both of those parameters are golfer swing specific. What new technology is causing this distance boom you speak of and is nowhere to be found on the PGA tour?
[/quote]

Well spoken, couldn't agree more. The explanation to yards is simple, false marketing, I am currently gaming a R1 so I am not a TM hater, but I do hate the fact that people, grown men thinking they are going to gain anything from any club at this point with all limits maxed out. This is a real issue for all of the OEM's, more and more people are actually understanding that the limits are maxed out.

Signature of Solon CC

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

[quote name='rbilramz' timestamp='1376019411' post='7637618'] [quote name='Golfrnut' timestamp='1375982728' post='7633288'] And yet there is one very huge statistic that is missing from all this. How many people were actually fit for the driver? Answer is probably pretty close to 0%. I don't understand how so many can expect so much from an off-the-rack club. [/quote] 25 of us were professionally fit by TM specifically for this club. [/quote]

I know. :)

That statement was directed mainly at the complaints of picking up the driver off the rack, hitting it, and then suprised that it may/may not have worked for them.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

To answer the question that started this thread, I was disappointed then I wasn't!

I hit it in the sim at Golf Town and the results were marginal at best. I hit high pulls and hooks and could not hit a fade to save my soul, and the distance was inconclusive. I bought the club anyway in 10.5 Stiff and rushed off to the range to get a real live experience. COMPLETELY different experience in the great outdoors. Straight high long shots over and over again with a small tendency to fade 3 or 4 steps. when I tried to hit draws and fades I got no real curve, rather just a pull or a push which went mostly straight. After one large bucket I think I am going to be able to aim it down the left half and let it bounce into the middle.

While the sim showed spin in the 3-4000 range, I hit several drives that looked like jumpers (or knuckleballs) which got up nice and high and then seemed to move left and right as they came down....right where I was aiming. Having never seen this before I am going to attribute it to really low spin which let some funky range balls act funny in the air.

Going straight in the bag!

[quote name='gunmetal' timestamp='1376025466' post='7638208']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

As a fitter then you would have the technical know how to explain exactly how that's possible, correct? For over a decade, COR/CT has been maxed. Legally, the ball cannot trampoline off the face anymore than it did ten years ago. MOI is maxed. Aerodynamics is sheer rubbish because of the changing orientation of the clubhead on the downswing. Lighter clubheads are stupid because distance isn't about light weight, [b]it's about right weight[/b]. So with due respect, I'd love for you to explain how going from one driver head to the next equates to ten, twenty, and thirty more yards over a few years. And please [b]don't come at me with spin and launch angles[/b]. As a fitter you would know very well that 99% of golfers with sub 95mph SS need MORE spin and in terms of distance both of those parameters are golfer swing specific. What new technology is causing this distance boom you speak of and is nowhere to be found on the PGA tour?

I realize my response may be a little *****y, and I apologize for that. I'm not trying to be confrontational. I just find it hard to believe that every day average golfers are suddenly bombing by going from the R9 to the SLDR or in 6 months (err 3 months) when they go to the from the SLDR to the SLDR S.
[/quote]
Man. it is this simple. Remember I said that good swingers (usually with higher swing speeds) don't benefit as much as those whose swings are less than perfect( usually slower swing speeds)? It's because the good and the fast are usually able to minimize spin while maxing launch. The average guy can't do that but now his clubs can. New technology maxes launch for them minimizing the killing high spin that decimated distance in the very recent past. So you see, it really is about spin and launch. It is about the right spin with the best launch to create the most distance.. While we're at it let's talk about the "stupid" light clubs. They can increase a golfer's swing speed by several mph. and as a result add distance. For the right golfer. A golfer with a violent transition will likely have less feel for the lighter clubs and for him, the light club is stupid. For a guy with a smooth transition the longer, lighter weight driver may make perfect sense. So, in a sense, without really knowing it, in suggesting the RIGHT weight over LIGHT weight you were absolutely correct. Except that sometimes LIGHT weight is the RIGHT weight.l
Unless you are a fitter, perhaps you and others can limit your experience to how a club affecxts you only. Because you cannot begin to speak on behalf of the multitude of others that current technology advances have helped in SPITE of the limitations of COR , mass and MOI.

Picking up a driver off the rack and expecting it to work miracles will lead to disappointment more times then not. It seems like 90% of the time people on here don't get along with any stock shafts. Wrong shaft with any head = unimpressive results. Ozik Black Tie, Tour AD, Fuji Tour Specs etc should give the results people are looking for. Fujikura 57 stock? I don't think so.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

[quote name='mosesgolf' timestamp='1376056486' post='7639642']
Picking up a driver off the rack and expecting it to work miracles will lead to disappointment more times then not. It seems like 90% of the time people on here don't get along with any stock shafts. Wrong shaft with any head = unimpressive results. [b]Ozik Black Tie, Tour AD, Fuji Tour Specs etc should give the results people are looking for. Fujikura 57 stock? I don't think so.[/b]
[/quote]
These shafts may be perfect for you and many others, horrid for just as many more. And while that is true, another truth is that OEM's do not design stock shafts that don't work. They do work and they work very well for a large portion of the golfing public, exactly the folks the OEM's designed them for.. .

[/quote]

[/quote]

It's not a good problem to have. Super low spin with no carry is a hard ball to control. Most of the courses I play don't allow for that.

Typical GolfWRX guys are always looking lower spin. The problem is controlling ballflight You can't control a ball that is launching with 1300-1600 revs. It's going somewhere quick. You can't place your ball out there.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[/quote]

Over what? the R1?

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1376058932' post='7639952']
[/quote]

[/quote]

It's not a good problem to have. Super low spin with no carry is a hard ball to control. Most of the courses I play don't allow for that.

Typical GolfWRX guys are always looking lower spin. The problem is controlling ballflight You can't control a ball that is launching with 1300-1600 revs. It's going somewhere quick. You can't place your ball out there.
[/quote]

It was tongue in cheek, no real substance behind it. I just found it funny that someone was "complaining" about a 300 yard drive and walked away from a club because of how it got to 300 yards. I can't imagine many people saying a club isn't for them because of [u]how[/u] they hit it 300 yards.

Cobra BC Pro w/ Aldila Tour Blue 65 TX
Callaway X Hot Pro 15* w/ Matrix Code 8x
Nike VR Pro LE 19* 5W w/ Kuro Kage 80x
Mizuno MP H4 4-PW w/ True Temper DG X100
Mizuno MP-R12 50*,54*,60* w/ DG X100
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna 2

:smilie_Titleist:

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

[quote name='Spiritomb' timestamp='1376059422' post='7640012']
Disappointed-er
[/quote]

C'mon man... get it right! ;)

Disappointe[b]DR[/b]

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I'm kind of disappointed in the SLDR as well.

First it was so hard, it broke my teeth, and I couldn't find any of the steamed onions or a pickle. Plus it was hard to fit six of them in a paper bag....

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA)