Anyone else disappointed in the SLDR? - OP REVIEW ON PG 14 9/13/13

DaBigSaus

[quote name='mweaver84' timestamp='1375919304' post='7627766']
[quote name='PingDaddy8' timestamp='1375918091' post='7627646']
Come on serious, this driver is nice to some it may not be worth giving up their R1 as both a really nice driver. If your looking for it to blow away their competitors I'm sure it will hold it's own. For those who own an R1 good for you as nothing wrong with them at all. TM puts out some nice stuff over the last several years. I can take my favorite set of irons, putter, driver etc and be disappointed with them from time to time. Usually people who are hitting what they have now good won't be blown away. Some may as it's something that works and works very well for others. I'm just glad they didn't come out with a white SLDR, oh no don't tell me they are.
[/quote]

No one said it was a bad club... I even said it wasn't a bad club. I just don't think people should expect to be blown away by it. I didn't even hit it bad when I tried it out. I hit it the same distance as my R1 just as the original poster said as well. The only reason I would ever think someone should buy it if they like the look and feel of it over the R1. Otherwise I'd rather save $200. Or just wait acoulple months and buy it for $200 less.
[/quote]

I've hit a dozen different drivers over the past month, and ones I expected to blow me away were mediocre to crappy. One that was an afterthought stood out for me and I bought it. In this day and age I don't think that you can expect anything to blow you away. COR, Dimensions, MOI are all maxed out. The only thing they can do is use different material to move internal weighting around to change spin and forgiveness, change the looks a little, or make them sound/feel different. These changes will work well for some swings, hurt some swings, or have no effect either way. As it stands today, I think there isn't anything head and shoulders better. An analogy would be a BMW vs Mercedes, vs Lexus, etc. None are bad, all are actually really good, but one might be more comfortable for your build, look better to you based on what you like, and it's strengths might fit things at the top of your list, while those strengths might be lower on someone else's list, thus a different car is preferred by them. Some are more refined driving machines, some are about driver amenities, some are for techies. Are all of these drivers different? Yes. Overall, for the masses, is one so much better? No. From what I read, this driver is about low COG, but very forward instead of back like most others. Low, rear COG gives you higher launch, but higher spin, and their contention (I say contention because I haven't' hit this club) is that low COG will give you a higher launch, but it being forward will cut down spin as well. That might work for some people's swings and not for others. I think that if you walk into a pro shop expecting to be blown away by a driver, and you actually are, you should either play the lottery or the placebo effect from the latest marketing campaign worked well on your subconscious mind.

Cobra BC Pro w/ Aldila Tour Blue 65 TX
Callaway X Hot Pro 15* w/ Matrix Code 8x
Nike VR Pro LE 19* 5W w/ Kuro Kage 80x
Mizuno MP H4 4-PW w/ True Temper DG X100
Mizuno MP-R12 50*,54*,60* w/ DG X100
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna 2

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='winn0040' timestamp='1375977083' post='7632358']
[quote name='Ti-Cip ' timestamp='1375975586' post='7632078']
if you like your black r1 better than the sldr, it makes sense. probably because you cannot generate the club head speed to properly launch the sldr. the black r1 is NOT the white r1 painted black!! it is designed differently vs the white r1. it is designed to launch higher, WITH more spin!!
sldr: higher launch, low spin
white r1: lower launch , low spin
black r1: higher launch, higher spin
[/quote]

This information is just plain wrong.
[/quote]

The white R1 specs lower than the 10* in most heads
The black R1 specs at 10* or slightly above in most heads.
Due to these slight differences the black in testing for most launches a little higher with slightly higher spin.

Enjoy

TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S Velocore 
TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite
TM 2011 Tour Issue MC 4-PW KBS Tour 120
TM MG2 Nickel 50 and 54 KBS Tour 120

TM MG2 Raw 58 KBS Tour 120
TM Black Copper Soto TP Collection 34in
TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

[quote name='Shankopottamus' timestamp='1375976614' post='7632260']
Love this thread. Learned some things today. The Black R1 is different than the White R1 in design/purpose but also color. Learned that some golfers aren't satisfied with 250 carry and 50 yard roll AND that the two combined equal 300. We learned how some people don't like the club, some people like the club, and some people don't find it any better or worse than their current. I guess I don't know if I'm a high spinner or low spinner, though. Some days I hit my driver straight and long and other days I fade or draw on occasion. My longest drives ever are with a Bridgestone J33R but I have to be really on my game. I've never found anything much better than a few drivers I own but I still want to buy new ones every other day.
[/quote]

Exactly...."[color=#282828]Carry 250, roll another 50 = 300. Not my kind of golf"[/color]....Not my kind of golf either. My kind of golf is 20-30 yards less roll. Sounds like a good problem to have.

And yet there is one very huge statistic that is missing from all this. How many people were actually fit for the driver? Answer is probably pretty close to 0%. I don't understand how so many can expect so much from an off-the-rack club.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

[quote name='vtnerf' timestamp='1375980405' post='7632902']
[quote name='Rob G.' timestamp='1375979555' post='7632756']
[quote name='vtnerf' timestamp='1375977212' post='7632376']
[quote name='misplacedtexan83' timestamp='1375919457' post='7627800']
What did yall expect? 10 more yards and for ball just to automatically go in the holes? I hit the SLDR and thought it was a very solid club...now is it going to be a bomber? I do not think so, but the adjusting is a lot better then the COMPASS that is on the R1 that is design to help people find their golf balls... Limit your expectations, because TM and other companies are just putting clubs left and right to beat out the competition..
[/quote]
And the R1 and SLDR are, *gasp*, DIFFERENT clubs. They aren't the same, so they won't perform the same. If they come back with similar numbers, that's just statistics. For many, one club will outperform the other, which ever it may be.

As for the OP's disappointment, not sure what he was expecting...maybe 10 more yards, 20 less pounds, 40% raise.......... :pimp:
[/quote]

I get what your saying. What I was hoping for was maybe a couple MPH in ball speed and a couple yards consistently. But the R1 preformed the same. So that was my take away. For all the hype I expected something. And came away with nothing gained. Like I said its just my 2 cents. Some people will love it and some will hate it. Just wast experience. Was a little let down on all the hype.
[/quote]

Hype? So you drank the marketing koolaid? And are upset the SLDR didn't add [s]17[/s], [s]10[/s], [s]27[/s], 350 yards?!
As for the title, disappointment would be hitting if awfully off line 30 yards shorter than you do now...not the same. Don't you think TMAG (as well as every other OEM out there) has been trying to max out ball speed for a few years now, including with your R1? Just sayin.
[/quote]

Here's my version of disappointment. Pulled the 913 D2 off the rack many times and saw what it would look like at address. Loved it. Hit it on a sim against several other drivers, loved the sound and feel and by the way, it was blowing by the other drivers and straight as an arrow. I hit all of the same combos on a Vector Pro as my final test before buying it and saw it was waaaayyy shorter than all of the others, and producing over 4,000 rpm of backspin with the same set-up. Now that's disappointing.

[quote name='Rob G.' timestamp='1375976175' post='7632190']
Now that's awesome response. I don't think my 113mph swing speed is fast enough for the SLDR.
[/quote]

It's more than fast enough. This is WRX, home of the bomber, but I've got a low-mid 90s swing speed and have no problems with the SLDR. Find the right shaft and it will work to some varying degree :)

Whether it works better than what you have, or against other driver options out there, is obviously another question that you can answer over time.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='w6racing' timestamp='1375975318' post='7632040']
i bought one yesterday and went to the range to compare it to my R1.

I dont know what it is but out of 75 hits i never got 1 that felt like i just crushed it.

The R1 was definitely better for me.

I do think the sldr looks better but that is it.

Both drivers have the stock regular shaft.

[/quote]

You probably need to wait for the Red SLDR V2 release

[quote name='Rob G.' timestamp='1375979555' post='7632756']
[quote name='vtnerf' timestamp='1375977212' post='7632376']
[quote name='misplacedtexan83' timestamp='1375919457' post='7627800']
What did yall expect? 10 more yards and for ball just to automatically go in the holes? I hit the SLDR and thought it was a very solid club...now is it going to be a bomber? I do not think so, but the adjusting is a lot better then the COMPASS that is on the R1 that is design to help people find their golf balls... Limit your expectations, because TM and other companies are just putting clubs left and right to beat out the competition..
[/quote]
And the R1 and SLDR are, *gasp*, DIFFERENT clubs. They aren't the same, so they won't perform the same. If they come back with similar numbers, that's just statistics. For many, one club will outperform the other, which ever it may be.

As for the OP's disappointment, not sure what he was expecting...maybe 10 more yards, 20 less pounds, 40% raise.......... :pimp:
[/quote]

I get what your saying. What I was hoping for was maybe a couple MPH in ball speed and a couple yards consistently. But the R1 preformed the same. So that was my take away. For all the hype I expected something. And came away with nothing gained. Like I said its just my 2 cents. Some people will love it and some will hate it. Just wast experience. Was a little let down on all the hype.
[/quote]

I understand what most of think when looking at the newer drivers when they release, but they change minor things and call it something different and we all jump on them.... I think the driver will be more consitent and help people hit the ball straighter, but they will have to decide straight in the fairway or 300 yards in the trees?

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

[quote name='jabroni23' timestamp='1375982429' post='7633232']
Love this thread. Learned some things today. The Black R1 is different than the White R1 in design/purpose but also color. Learned that some golfers aren't satisfied with 250 carry and 50 yard roll AND that the two combined equal 300. We learned how some people don't like the club, some people like the club, and some people don't find it any better or worse than their current. I guess I don't know if I'm a high spinner or low spinner, though. Some days I hit my driver straight and long and other days I fade or draw on occasion. My longest drives ever are with a Bridgestone J33R but I have to be really on my game. I've never found anything much better than a few drivers I own but I still want to buy new ones every other day.
[/quote]

Exactly...."[color=#282828]Carry 250, roll another 50 = 300. Not my kind of golf"[/color]....Not my kind of golf either. My kind of golf is 20-30 yards less roll. Sounds like a good problem to have.
[/quote]

I'd be happy with 20yds roll. My normal drive is hit the ball 250, and watch it spin back 10!

Zolex 0 CC "The Hammer" driver
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

[quote name='Rebel420' timestamp='1375986684' post='7633954']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'd be happy with 20yds roll. My normal drive is hit the ball 250, and watch it spin back 10!
[/quote]

Come to Scotland and you can have 100yards roll on some courses :)

I for one had to try it. I decided that I would go do it right this time. I went down to the tpc sawgrass and went through the mat system. With my r1 I was hitting it around 270 average. Avery (fitter) put me in the right shaft, weight, loft. I gained 40+ yards. Do I think it was head alone. Not a chance, but it was worth the upgrade for me. All I would say is, go hit it. Get fit for it and see if it helps if not walk out with your old driver. Anyone hating TM for their marketing and wanting to put out more heads just to make more money, well aren't you supposed to do that??? It's business guys. Anyway just my results and two cents.

[quote name='Rebel420' timestamp='1375986684' post='7633954']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That's because we live in the Northeast my friend. Most of the time your ball mark from a drive is within a club length of your ball in the fairway. BTW, 20 yards of roll was when we had the heatwave last month. Our other golfwrx brethren in the lower states are spoiled getting to golf more than 7-8 months a year . :golfer:

My take: the SLDR is such a low spin driver that I had to switch out the 9.5 head to a 10.5. I got better numbers that way. I am goi to see how this driver goes with a Fubuki Tour 63 in it. BTW, the ball feels hit off the face.

It is so much different than my R1 Black. I looked for ways to cut spin and lower launch with the R1 Black that I ended up playing it at 9.4 with a Diamana White shaft. Dialing in the SLDR seems to require a totally different approach.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

[quote name='Krt22' timestamp='1375986008' post='7633886']
[quote name='w6racing' timestamp='1375975318' post='7632040']
i bought one yesterday and went to the range to compare it to my R1.

I dont know what it is but out of 75 hits i never got 1 that felt like i just crushed it.

The R1 was definitely better for me.

I do think the sldr looks better but that is it.

Both drivers have the stock regular shaft.

[/quote]

You probably need to wait for the Red SLDR V2 release
[/quote]

Red with three white stripes on the crown is what I am holding out for!

SLDR looked good, felt good and sounded good, to me.

However, compared to my R1 V2, using the same shaft (Tour AD BB6), the SLDR didn't stack up. SLDR gave me 3 extra yards of distance and increased my dispersion by over 15 yards... Again, with the same shaft!

SLDR experiment over for this guy.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1375935452' post='7629662']
It didn't work for me. No hating - just a bad fit. Spin was too low. Carry 250, roll another 50 = 300. Not my kind of golf. Tried several shafts - spoke to this point at length in another thread.

YMMV.
[/quote]

This was my experience with the SLDR. I had to crank up the loft to get the launch I was looking for. I hit the 10.5 with the sleeve set at the highest setting with the tp speeder.

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Sri on Z U85 26*
Adam’s A-Tour Red 5-P
Edel 54* DVR, 58* DVR

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

[quote name='G-Bone' timestamp='1376008071' post='7636330']
SLDR looked good, felt good and sounded good, to me.

However, compared to my R1 V2, using the same shaft (Tour AD BB6), the SLDR didn't stack up. SLDR gave me 3 extra yards of distance and increased my dispersion by over 15 yards... Again, with the same shaft!

SLDR experiment over for this guy.
[/quote]

My experience is similar. I'm hoping my 7.2 ts changes that.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

[quote name='9ccat9' timestamp='1375982289' post='7633206']
[quote name='winn0040' timestamp='1375977083' post='7632358']
[quote name='Ti-Cip ' timestamp='1375975586' post='7632078']
if you like your black r1 better than the sldr, it makes sense. probably because you cannot generate the club head speed to properly launch the sldr. the black r1 is NOT the white r1 painted black!! it is designed differently vs the white r1. it is designed to launch higher, WITH more spin!!
sldr: higher launch, low spin
white r1: lower launch , low spin
black r1: higher launch, higher spin
[/quote]

This information is just plain wrong.
[/quote]

The white R1 specs lower than the 10* in most heads
The black R1 specs at 10* or slightly above in most heads.
Due to these slight differences the black in testing for most launches a little higher with slightly higher spin.

Enjoy
[/quote]

Some of the worst info ever, the heads are exactly the same! not sure on the kool aid you are drinking.

Signature of Solon CC

Ping g430 10k 9 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

Titleist Tsr1 15 tour ad di6

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max blue Tpt shaft 34/71

As someone who has done over 5 years worth of fitting with TM products, why do people think that throwing in the same shaft of their current gamer into a new head will give the best results?? Go get fit for this specific head!

Also Woods991...How many people have you fit with the Black and White R1 and what data have you seen, just curious?

TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

[quote name='Goldenhawk' timestamp='1376004898' post='7636006']
My take: the SLDR is such a low spin driver that I had to switch out the 9.5 head to a 10.5. I got better numbers that way. I am goi to see how this driver goes with a Fubuki Tour 63 in it. BTW, the ball feels hit off the face.

It is so much different than my R1 Black. I looked for ways to cut spin and lower launch with the R1 Black that I ended up playing it at 9.4 with a Diamana White shaft. Dialing in the SLDR seems to require a totally different approach.
[/quote]

This ^^^^People will be in many cases better off going to gasp 12*

TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

[quote name='9ccat9' timestamp='1376014098' post='7637028']
As someone who has done over 5 years worth of fitting with TM products, why do people think that throwing in the same shaft of their current gamer into a new head will give the best results?? Go get fit for this specific head!

Also Woods991...How many people have you fit with the Black and White R1 and what data have you seen, just curious?
[/quote]

the fact is they are the same driver different paint, simple as that..the better question is show me some data from TM showing otherwise, when (them as TM) speak of the R1 the only difference is the color, they have never said anything amount spin, launch etc being different, please provide data to us as you made the claim that these are two very different drivers. But here is what TM is saying: ( I see nothing on being different heads other than color)

[color=#000000][size=2][left]“For three years we have only made white drivers and have heard from a number of golfers who just prefer the look of black,” said President and CEO, Mark King. “Our commitment has always been to provide golfers with the best performing golf equipment. The R1 Black gives players who prefer that color access to our industry leading technology.”[/left][/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=2][left]Like the white R1, the all-black version will have the same adjustability features -- 12 loft-sleeve settings, 7 face-angle position, and two moveable shot-shape weights -- as well as an ultra-light Aldila RIP Phenom shaft.[/left][/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=2][left]“Members of our tour staff now have two color options,” King said. “We will see a number of them opt for R1 Black, while others will stay in the white version to take advantage of the white/black contrast and alignment benefits.”[/left][/size][/color]

Signature of Solon CC

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

[quote name='woods991' timestamp='1376014452' post='7637096']

[/quote]

the fact is they are the same driver different paint, simple as that..the better question is show me some data from TM showing otherwise, when (them as TM) speak of the R1 the only difference is the color, they have never said anything amount spin, launch etc being different, please provide data to us as you made the claim that these are two very different drivers. But here is what TM is saying: ( I see nothing on being different heads other than color)

[color=#000000][size=2][left]“For three years we have only made white drivers and have heard from a number of golfers who just prefer the look of black,” said President and CEO, Mark King. “Our commitment has always been to provide golfers with the best performing golf equipment. The R1 Black gives players who prefer that color access to our industry leading technology.”[/left][/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=2][left]Like the white R1, the all-black version will have the same adjustability features -- 12 loft-sleeve settings, 7 face-angle position, and two moveable shot-shape weights -- as well as an ultra-light Aldila RIP Phenom shaft.[/left][/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=2][left]“Members of our tour staff now have two color options,” King said. “We will see a number of them opt for R1 Black, while others will stay in the white version to take advantage of the white/black contrast and alignment benefits.”[/left][/size][/color]
[/quote]

I've actually been on a flights cope, and have observed at least a half dozen other fittings that back up what 9ccat says.

Do a search, and you will see on here that a few others have observed the same thing...and have received confirmation from TM that this is the case

Zolex 0 CC "The Hammer" driver
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

[/quote]

[left]“For three years we have only made white drivers and have heard from a number of golfers who just prefer the look of black,” said President and CEO, Mark King. “Our commitment has always been to provide golfers with the best performing golf equipment. The R1 Black gives players who prefer that color access to our industry leading technology.”[/left]

[left][color=#000000][size=2]Like the white R1, the all-black version will have the same adjustability features -- 12 loft-sleeve settings, 7 face-angle position, and two moveable shot-shape weights -- as well as an ultra-light Aldila RIP Phenom shaft.[/size][/color][/left]

[left][color=#000000][size=2]“Members of our tour staff now have two color options,” King said. “We will see a number of them opt for R1 Black, while others will stay in the white version to take advantage of the white/black contrast and alignment benefits.”[/size][/color][/left]

[/quote]

That is fine, just letting people know what is common knowledge with the fitters. I am sure you knowledge of the product and connections to TM are much better than mine.

TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

[quote name='9ccat9' timestamp='1376015507' post='7637240']

[/quote]

[left]“For three years we have only made white drivers and have heard from a number of golfers who just prefer the look of black,” said President and CEO, Mark King. “Our commitment has always been to provide golfers with the best performing golf equipment. The R1 Black gives players who prefer that color access to our industry leading technology.”[/left]

[left][color=#000000][size=2]Like the white R1, the all-black version will have the same adjustability features -- 12 loft-sleeve settings, 7 face-angle position, and two moveable shot-shape weights -- as well as an ultra-light Aldila RIP Phenom shaft.[/size][/color][/left]

[left][color=#000000][size=2]“Members of our tour staff now have two color options,” King said. “We will see a number of them opt for R1 Black, while others will stay in the white version to take advantage of the white/black contrast and alignment benefits.”[/size][/color][/left]

[/quote]

That is fine, just letting people know what is common knowledge with the fitters. I am sure you knowledge of the product and connections to TM are much better than mine.
[/quote]
I have read all of the posts and as many people are claiming this to be true there are the same amount of people denying it, I think it is real simple, manufacturing, look at Ping for example I have had 3 different G15's years ago all of which had different launch patterns yet all the same loft all of which ranged from .9 to 1.7 loft difference, now I know you can adjust the R1s and not the G15's the same concept applies when set a neutral position (or in the R1 case same loft setting) using 3 different heads set at same loft I am positive you will get very different numbers. I know this is true because the tour issue heads even so up with different face numbers. So in my opinion the difference is simply in the manufacturing process and the inconsistency of the process and plants making the heads.

Signature of Solon CC

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto