Anyone else disappointed in the SLDR? - OP REVIEW ON PG 14 9/13/13

DaBigSaus

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1380382544' post='7923833']
[quote name='willboyrd' timestamp='1380332660' post='7922171']
Screw swingweight, that sounds like an awesome combo DIVOTS!!! Lol
[/quote]
Thanks. DI7 was destined for the G25. If it doesn't work out in that head, the Anser head and the DI are bananas long! Phenom 60 has been really good in the G25, but I know I can still eek out a little more distance with a lower spinning shaft like the DI.
[/quote]

I just ordered a Fuel 70s, tipped 0.5'', headed for the G25. Pretty excited about that.

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hit the SLDR today... it was significantly longer than my S3 (with AXE shaft). It really matches my swing well.

Don't have the cash to pick one up, but it's TaylorMade, so I will wait 6 months and get it for $200.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

You know when you walk through a big box store, like Walmart, and see a box of golf clubs with no headcovers, uniflex shafts, and a sale price of $29.99? That's what I think of when I look at the SLDR...

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*
Adams Super XTD 19*
Mizuno H4 21*
Taylormade TP MB 4-PW
Bettinardi Kuchar 1 - 35"
Titleist Vokey 54, 58, 62*

[quote name='See The Line' timestamp='1380501821' post='7929531']
You know when you walk through a big box store, like Walmart, and see a box of golf clubs with no headcovers, uniflex shafts, and a sale price of $29.99? That's what I think of when I look at the SLDR...
[/quote]

Um. Why? Lol

[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

[quote name='willboyrd' timestamp='1380504173' post='7929705']
[quote name='See The Line' timestamp='1380501821' post='7929531']
[/quote]

Um. Why? Lol
[/quote]

That's just what I think of. I think the slide bar makes it look like a bargain bin club haha. I realize it's a better quality club than the $29 special but that's just what comes into my head when I look at it.

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*
Adams Super XTD 19*
Mizuno H4 21*
Taylormade TP MB 4-PW
Bettinardi Kuchar 1 - 35"
Titleist Vokey 54, 58, 62*

[quote name='specimania' timestamp='1380547648' post='7931211']
Did you hit it? Its a bomber. Sounds great. Should be a steal when the new drivers are released next year. I think they look great. Maybe it was all the tape remnants left over from so many people hitting htem that made em look cheap :)
[/quote]

This would definitely make sense that there would be so much tape residue on them because EVERYBODY hits them and next to nobody buys them because they are the best option for about 1% of amateur golfers lol. A ridiculously low-spin 460cc head amounts to below average stability and forgiveness when struck even slightly off-center. Period. Yes, backspin does make the ball ascend and descend quicker, meaning it could potentially lower the distance ceiling for the folks that have a massively positive AoA, BUT backspin also helps the ball hold it's line, thus minimizing sidespin's effect on the curvature of your ball flight. So for all those amateurs with a very positive AoA, extremely consistent contact pattern, and very straight ball flight, hmmmmm, I might've exaggerated when I said 1%, looking like 0.01% now that I think about it.

I'm not TM bashing, just saying that it is a driver with a very select target audience. For those that fall in the category I mentioned, it is probably by far the best driver you've ever owned.

The G25 drivers at your local shop on the other hand, they look all shiny and beautiful and new well because they are. Lol. See they've probably turned over the entire inventory atleast once since the last time you were in the shop. GO PING TROLLIN'!

It seems this has already been covered...but for what it's worth, I ran the numbers against my R1 and it didn't outperform in ball speed, spin, launch etc.... It really pulled very similar numbers for my swing. Honestly, it just felt like a different colored R1. So basically for it to be worth anything to me, it would have needed to look really cool and it certainly doesn't in my opinion. I'm glad, it saved me from buying another driver head :)

G25 w/ AD DI 7X or SLDR 430 w/Speeder757
RBZ St 2 Tour Spoon w Tour AD-BB 8x
PNT 1 18 degree w/ Matrix Altus X
Mizzy MP4 / 64 combo w/ X100's
Vokey SM4's w/ DG S400's
Odyssey Tank #7

[quote name='willboyrd' timestamp='1380550066' post='7931379']
[quote name='specimania' timestamp='1380547648' post='7931211']
Did you hit it? Its a bomber. Sounds great. Should be a steal when the new drivers are released next year. I think they look great. Maybe it was all the tape remnants left over from so many people hitting htem that made em look cheap :)
[/quote]

This would definitely make sense that there would be so much tape residue on them because EVERYBODY hits them and next to nobody buys them because they are the best option for about 1% of amateur golfers lol. A ridiculously low-spin 460cc head amounts to below average stability and forgiveness when struck even slightly off-center. Period. Yes, backspin does make the ball ascend and descend quicker, meaning it could potentially lower the distance ceiling for the folks that have a massively positive AoA, BUT backspin also helps the ball hold it's line, thus minimizing sidespin's effect on the curvature of your ball flight. So for all those amateurs with a very positive AoA, extremely consistent contact pattern, and very straight ball flight, hmmmmm, I might've exaggerated when I said 1%, looking like 0.01% now that I think about it.

I'm not TM bashing, just saying that it is a driver with a very select target audience. For those that fall in the category I mentioned, it is probably by far the best driver you've ever owned.

The G25 drivers at your local shop on the other hand, they look all shiny and beautiful and new well because they are. Lol. See they've probably turned over the entire inventory atleast once since the last time you were in the shop. GO PING TROLLIN'!
[/quote]

I'm going to get on a launch monitor soon with one... but I don't meet many of those requirements, i just generate a ton of backspin.

The SLDR killed it for me. I was 20 yards past where I usually am on the golf course... it also was more forgiving.

Then again, maybe my S3 is just a bad fit for my swing.

I'm going to get on a good launch monitor and find out.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Quick question for the folks that are loving the SLDR - have you found that contact lower in the face (i.e. - not higher than the "marked" sweet spot) is the key to this head?

And/or - has anyone had their head actually measured for the true COG, and then compared that to other heads?

Just curious as a player with a small negative angle of attack that plays a lower teed, running shot on most occasions.

[quote name='jhenz' timestamp='1380835024' post='7949069']
Quick question for the folks that are loving the SLDR - have you found that contact lower in the face (i.e. - not higher than the "marked" sweet spot) is the key to this head?

And/or - has anyone had their head actually measured for the true COG, and then compared that to other heads?

Just curious as a player with a small negative angle of attack that plays a lower teed, running shot on most occasions.
[/quote]

I do, and I have. It is interesting because the SLDR head is bigger than my previous driver (CC 310) by a large margin. I agree with others that it can take awhile to get comfortable with this club. I am a high spin player and I've never had a driver release in the fairway. All of my distance was in the air. With the SLDR I am actually getting 10-15 yards of roll which for me is huge. It has also taken out my dreaded high right spinner which is a distance killer for obvious reasons. I have also hit more dead straight shots with this club in a handful of rounds than I ever did with previous drivers which could explain getting roll out. I also think the 6.3TS shaft has a lot to do with the results as well. The two have me more excited about a driver than I've ever been.

Anyone want a 913 D2 in great shape? That's what I think of my new SLDR after round one. I hit it straighter and further, no doubt. Drivers are very personal things but I really like the look, feel and sound this thing makes. For some odd reason, I get the face square most every shot. It's heavy head feel to me. Really like

I'm not and neither is Phil M.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

• 5 weeks later...

Thought I would bump this older topic, especially since I just got my first round in with my SLDR.........and no I AM NOT disappointed in the SLDR.

PING G430 LST 9* 
Srixon 13.5* 
Adams LS 19* 
Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Nippon Tour 125s
Odyssey Backstryke blade 
PING/Cleveland 54* 58*

Yeah, neither am I. 12* set to 11.5, 6.3TS X tipped 1" playing 45", full fade setting.

Simply put, my pro says he's sold several 12* SLDRs to other members who've asked about mine.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='zerofade' timestamp='1385862482' post='8230526']
Bump

Noticing more comments about off center hits being punished .. Is there some loss of forgiveness with this head vs the R1?
[/quote]

By design the forgiveness is less with the SLDR. The mass is 1 inch behind the face as opposed to trailing 6 inches behind the face as in the case of the G25 driver.

The SLDR is long - but so is the G25.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1385863425' post='8230582']
Bump

Noticing more comments about off center hits being punished .. Is there some loss of forgiveness with this head vs the R1?
[/quote]

By design the forgiveness is less with the SLDR. The mass is 1 inch behind the face as opposed to trailing 6 inches behind the face as in the case of the G25 driver.

The SLDR is long - but so is the G25.
[/quote]

Very true just depends on what fits the player. I've played with both drivers and they are soild offerings. The G25 is uber forgiving and really inspires confidence off the tee but it's harder to work the ball, atleast it was for me. Very straight and a high ball flight so it pairs well with a low spin/ high flex point shaft. The SLDR is lower spin and depends on the user getting the right loft. I tried it 9* and gave me decent numbers but then tried a 10.5* head opened all the way back to 9* and it gave me better numbers. Off center hits didn't fly nearly as far but that's to be expected with a MOI close to 3000 vs G25 over 5000. All depends on the player.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Slower swing speed here, around 95mph. I hit the G25, XHot, Stage 2, Mizuno EZ, Amp Cell and the SLDR had the best numbers by far for me. I went in planning on buying the Mizuno, but hit the others for the heck of it. In fact, I actually bought the Mizuno and brought it back the next day because the SLDR numbers were that much better. I bought a 10.5 degree regular shaft and it was adjusted to 11 with the slide adjusted halfway between Neutral and Fade.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

Bump

[/quote]

I had 4 sldr's versus many other drivers trying to get it to work. On perfect strikes it was five yards longer than the others but my average drive went down because misses are punished.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

During rounds where I was really driving the ball well tried SLDR for a couple swipes. Low. Just a "thud" sensation for me at impact, now with two different shafts attempted. Two guys in our group today tried my G25 and they were ga-ga over it. One had a SLDR. He agreed the face sensation is off for him too. He hit it well enough though.