Anyone else disappointed in the SLDR? - OP REVIEW ON PG 14 9/13/13

DaBigSaus

[quote name='Rob G.' timestamp='1375927129' post='7628748']
[quote name='Str8Shot' timestamp='1375926843' post='7628704']
[quote name='Rob G.' timestamp='1375915998' post='7627366']
Let me preface this with I am in no way a TM hater. Ive played TM for years and currently gaming a R1 and play the Penta ball.

I went in today to a brick and mortar with my R1 Black shafted with an AD DI 7x that just bombs expecting that the SLDR (even know it's the worst name of a club EVR) would be hands down the best driver ever.

I hit 10 with my R1 and 10 with a SLDR with my DI 7x in it. No difference in ball speed or spin.

The R1 still wins in all the categories including feel and looks. For some reason the SLDR looks big. Too Big.

THTS JST MY THGHTS RGRDNG TH NW SLDR.

Talk amongst yourselves....

The chick pea is neither a chick nor a pea.... Discuss
[/quote]

If the SLDR did not have an AD DI then of course the results are going to be not even close. Just saying as you do not state if the SLDR had the AD DI when it was being tested. The R1 is Junk stock and I do not know anyone who really likes it. The SLDR is bunches better by people who tested it I know and when i tried it. Still not taking the cake. Although that is in the eye of the beholder! I see so many people on courses gaming Titleist 910/913's or even 909's. Razr Fit or the Tour Authentic version. Bridgestone J40. JV of Callaway Drivers and TourStage. Or even the old RBallz. This new equipment is just not pushing my buttons. The Titleist 913 was the only line this year I was satisfied with. The Xtreme gets mne sometimes but I do not use it much. It is my 913 or TA Razr Fit all day long. SLDR has my love over the R1 though but it will go back and forth from one to another in what they like.
[/quote]

If you take the time to read my post. I did hit both with my AD DI 7x in them both.
[/quote]

Yea I read that the way it was typed though just had me slightly confused if you meant it was in the SLDR or the R1 and you were just stating it at the end of the sentence. My bad!

Callaway BB 815 DB Diamond 10.5* AD DI 6
Titleist 915FD 18* GD AD DI 7
PING i25 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 TOUR 130
TVD-M TX3 VOKEY 50* 56* 60* KBS HI-REV
Odyssey Prototype #1
Bridgestone B330S or Titleist Pro V1X

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Golfrnut' timestamp='1375929902' post='7629092']
I will say that I bought into the hype. I never got numbers for the R1 as I didn't like the look, sound, or feel. I did however hit the SLDR today, it works way better for me than the V2 supertri I have. Launches are 16+ and can still see sub 2000 spin rates if I hit it well. Still needs some tweaking for consistency as I am a little sporadic at the moment with the stock settings as far as hitting center contact, but I can't say I am disappointed with results. This is with a 9.5 set to 8(couldn't tell you digital loft number), but I also have a +2-3 AoA so I am a little better off than a lot of people in that regard.
[/quote]

This is TaylorMades best driver in the past 2 years easy. I agree with what you said as I found the same...but everyone is different so I will hold to that. Not a TaylorMade hater but I love their Asian market equipment....quality is so much better. When I play TMade....that is the stuff I game.

Odyssey Prototype #1

It didn't work for me. No hating - just a bad fit. Spin was too low. Carry 250, roll another 50 = 300. Not my kind of golf. Tried several shafts - spoke to this point at length in another thread.

YMMV.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1375927351' post='7628776']
[quote name='Rob G.' timestamp='1375927129' post='7628748']
[quote name='Str8Shot' timestamp='1375926843' post='7628704']
[quote name='Rob G.' timestamp='1375915998' post='7627366']
Let me preface this with I am in no way a TM hater. Ive played TM for years and currently gaming a R1 and play the Penta ball.

I went in today to a brick and mortar with my R1 Black shafted with an AD DI 7x that just bombs expecting that the SLDR (even know it's the worst name of a club EVR) would be hands down the best driver ever.

I hit 10 with my R1 and 10 with a SLDR with my DI 7x in it. No difference in ball speed or spin.

The R1 still wins in all the categories including feel and looks. For some reason the SLDR looks big. Too Big.

THTS JST MY THGHTS RGRDNG TH NW SLDR.

Talk amongst yourselves....

The chick pea is neither a chick nor a pea.... Discuss
[/quote]

If the SLDR did not have an AD DI then of course the results are going to be not even close. Just saying as you do not state if the SLDR had the AD DI when it was being tested. The R1 is Junk stock and I do not know anyone who really likes it. The SLDR is bunches better by people who tested it I know and when i tried it. Still not taking the cake. Although that is in the eye of the beholder! I see so many people on courses gaming Titleist 910/913's or even 909's. Razr Fit or the Tour Authentic version. Bridgestone J40. JV of Callaway Drivers and TourStage. Or even the old RBallz. This new equipment is just not pushing my buttons. The Titleist 913 was the only line this year I was satisfied with. The Xtreme gets mne sometimes but I do not use it much. It is my 913 or TA Razr Fit all day long. SLDR has my love over the R1 though but it will go back and forth from one to another in what they like.
[/quote]

If you take the time to read my post. I did hit both with my AD DI 7x in them both.
[/quote]

Come on why would he read your whole post? Silly talk sir!
[/quote]

I really did read his whole post but he did not say conclusively he had each AD DI shaft in both drivers. So I deleted what I said on my first post in regards to that. I was making a point that shaft of course was going to give better results. I would have said I tried the R1 of mine with the AD DI and then the SLDR with the AD DI....he worded it a tad different and it came off inconclusive the way I took it, but if he hit them both then he hit them both! Then if he liked his R1 he liked his R1...whatever works.

Odyssey Prototype #1

Well...if this thing spins too much for some of you guys, you could always slap some lead tape on the bottom of an Mp-600. Not much spins less than that thing. lol

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Different strokes for different folks, OP. While it may not fit you, or many others, this club, with the right shaft, will suit a lot of golfers, just fine.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

[quote name='Llortamaisey' timestamp='1375935187' post='7629628']
Add me on the disappointed list. I'm comfortable with being a TMAG hater but I was hoping this would be the driver that took me to the darkside. It looked great but once I hit it, the honeymoon was over. Just didn't fit me at all. Super spinney, launch was too high, and it felt like it had no mass behind the ball. I will say that it was fairly accurate. I didn't hit any shots that would have missed the fairway.

Overall, it was super accurate but not very long for me.
[/quote]

Having a hard time believing any of your review. Super spinney? High launching? No mass behind the ball (#1 complaint is a heavy head)? Maybe you should rethink your fake review and try again.

No club will be everyone's favorite but its hard to believe a club that nearly every player professionally fit found to be lower spinning and lower launching than whatever driver they currently use would be the exact opposite is a s-t-r-e-t-c-h.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I was at my local shop last week and they got me to hit one on their trackman. They were telling me how it was very low spin for everyone. Well I proved that wrong, I hit it with the stock Fuji shaft in it, and the spin numbers were 4500 plus. The thing doesn't work for me with out a different shaft. I wouldn't waste my time to upgrade to a shaft that works better and come away with a 700 dollar driver that isn't any better than the combo I have now, and will probably be replaced by January.

8 degree SLDR is back ordered already !!!!!!!!!!! sold black my R1 yesterday i had that bad boy cranked open 2 degrees . I was told by a local fitter that called TM that the 8 degree heads never made it from china and it will be October before they reach the states .

Mizuno jpx850 Driver
Callaway big bertha alpha 815 3 wood
mizuno fli hi 2 iron
mizuno jpx850 forged irons 4-GW
Mizuno wedges 52&56
Scotty notch back 1st of 300

This club hasn't even been released for sale, yet soooo many of you have tried it and fried it? Something seems funny here.....

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1375972820' post='7631702']
This club hasn't even been released for sale, yet soooo many of you have tried it and fried it? Something seems funny here.....
[/quote]

It has been available for sale for a couple days...

TM Q10 LS 9, Graphite Design AD XC X
TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

[quote name='mweaver84' timestamp='1375973152' post='7631744']
[/quote]

[/quote]
It is not being released until tomorrow, the 9th. We do not even have inventory yet.

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1375973537' post='7631780']
[/quote]

[/quote]
It is not being released until tomorrow, the 9th. We do not even have inventory yet.
[/quote]

My three retailers have been selling them for 2 weeks. PGA Superstore sold out of their first lot and got a second. They think they've sold about 50 total.

There are 2 on the used rack! (not a comment on the quality of the club, just the volume that has sold)

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1375973785' post='7631804']
[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1375973537' post='7631780']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

My three retailers have been selling them for 2 weeks. PGA Superstore sold out of their first lot and got a second. They think they've sold about 50 total.

There are 2 on the used rack! (not a comment on the quality of the club, just the volume that has sold)
[/quote]
Then U.S. release date must have been earlier than here in Canada. We can't even get them to view, let alone have on hand for our release date, which is tomorrow Aug. 9th. I'm glad that they have been received so positively south of our border. Bodes well for us here, if we ever get to take delivery of the product.

if you like your black r1 better than the sldr, it makes sense. probably because you cannot generate the club head speed to properly launch the sldr. the black r1 is NOT the white r1 painted black!! it is designed differently vs the white r1. it is designed to launch higher, WITH more spin!!
sldr: higher launch, low spin
white r1: lower launch , low spin
black r1: higher launch, higher spin

[quote name='Ti-Cip ' timestamp='1375975586' post='7632078']
if you like your black r1 better than the sldr, it makes sense. probably because you cannot generate the club head speed to properly launch the sldr. the black r1 is NOT the white r1 painted black!! it is designed differently vs the white r1. it is designed to launch higher, WITH more spin!!
[/quote]

Now that's awesome response. I don't think my 113mph swing speed is fast enough for the SLDR. Thanks man. I own a white head as well and get the same numbers as my black one.

But let the conspiracy theories continue about spin and the different colored R1s.

Love this thread. Learned some things today. The Black R1 is different than the White R1 in design/purpose but also color. Learned that some golfers aren't satisfied with 250 carry and 50 yard roll AND that the two combined equal 300. We learned how some people don't like the club, some people like the club, and some people don't find it any better or worse than their current. I guess I don't know if I'm a high spinner or low spinner, though. Some days I hit my driver straight and long and other days I fade or draw on occasion. My longest drives ever are with a Bridgestone J33R but I have to be really on my game. I've never found anything much better than a few drivers I own but I still want to buy new ones every other day.

[quote name='Shankopottamus' timestamp='1375976614' post='7632260']
Love this thread. Learned some things today. The Black R1 is different than the White R1 in design/purpose but also color. Learned that some golfers aren't satisfied with 250 carry and 50 yard roll AND that the two combined equal 300. We learned how some people don't like the club, some people like the club, and some people don't find it any better or worse than their current. I guess I don't know if I'm a high spinner or low spinner, though. Some days I hit my driver straight and long and other days I fade or draw on occasion. My longest drives ever are with a Bridgestone J33R but I have to be really on my game. I've never found anything much better than a few drivers I own but I still want to buy new ones every other day.
[/quote]

Best post of the thread!

i spoke to a tm tech recently, and my local rep. both confirmed this!! i have a white and black r1, sldr will be here tomorrow. i, too, can confirm. white r1 is low launching, low spin vs the black one!!
those 2 tm reps said same thing, that tm found that most golfers cannot launch the white r1 correctly, so they re designed it in the black one..
also confirmed that the sldr will be in their line for the next 16-18 months!!!
i'm not saying your super fast 113+ mph ss ins't enough for the sldr head. with that ss, it's probably the shaft or your not hitting it in the ss!!

[quote name='Ti-Cip ' timestamp='1375975586' post='7632078']
[/quote]

This information is just plain wrong.

[quote name='misplacedtexan83' timestamp='1375919457' post='7627800']
What did yall expect? 10 more yards and for ball just to automatically go in the holes? I hit the SLDR and thought it was a very solid club...now is it going to be a bomber? I do not think so, but the adjusting is a lot better then the COMPASS that is on the R1 that is design to help people find their golf balls... Limit your expectations, because TM and other companies are just putting clubs left and right to beat out the competition..
[/quote]
And the R1 and SLDR are, *gasp*, DIFFERENT clubs. They aren't the same, so they won't perform the same. If they come back with similar numbers, that's just statistics. For many, one club will outperform the other, which ever it may be.

As for the OP's disappointment, not sure what he was expecting...maybe 10 more yards, 20 less pounds, 40% raise.......... :pimp:

[quote name='vtnerf' timestamp='1375977212' post='7632376']
What did yall expect? 10 more yards and for ball just to automatically go in the holes? I hit the SLDR and thought it was a very solid club...now is it going to be a bomber? I do not think so, but the adjusting is a lot better then the COMPASS that is on the R1 that is design to help people find their golf balls... Limit your expectations, because TM and other companies are just putting clubs left and right to beat out the competition..
[/quote]
And the R1 and SLDR are, *gasp*, DIFFERENT clubs. They aren't the same, so they won't perform the same. If they come back with similar numbers, that's just statistics. For many, one club will outperform the other, which ever it may be.

As for the OP's disappointment, not sure what he was expecting...maybe 10 more yards, 20 less pounds, 40% raise.......... :pimp:
[/quote]

I get what your saying. What I was hoping for was maybe a couple MPH in ball speed and a couple yards consistently. But the R1 preformed the same. So that was my take away. For all the hype I expected something. And came away with nothing gained. Like I said its just my 2 cents. Some people will love it and some will hate it. Just wast experience. Was a little let down on all the hype.

[quote name='Rob G.' timestamp='1375979555' post='7632756']
[quote name='vtnerf' timestamp='1375977212' post='7632376']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I get what your saying. What I was hoping for was maybe a couple MPH in ball speed and a couple yards consistently. But the R1 preformed the same. So that was my take away. For all the hype I expected something. And came away with nothing gained. Like I said its just my 2 cents. Some people will love it and some will hate it. Just wast experience. Was a little let down on all the hype.
[/quote]

Hype? So you drank the marketing koolaid? And are upset the SLDR didn't add [s]17[/s], [s]10[/s], [s]27[/s], 350 yards?!
As for the title, disappointment would be hitting if awfully off line 30 yards shorter than you do now...not the same. Don't you think TMAG (as well as every other OEM out there) has been trying to max out ball speed for a few years now, including with your R1? Just sayin.