Anyone else disappointed in the SLDR? - OP REVIEW ON PG 14 9/13/13

DaBigSaus

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1376084399' post='7643508']
[i]gunmetal,[/i]
[i]Never once did I suggest a spin rate. I said the right spin rate and nor did I mention loft, I said right launch angle,simply because I did not want to get into specific swing speeds and lofts etc. I stand by the premise that the correct technology in the right hands will improve distance and accuracy gains. I really don't think it is the OEM's job to say who will or will not fit into a particular piece of equipment. That is a fitters job. And really, we are saying the same things, especially the importance of fitting., but are attacking it from a different angle. The biggest difference between us is that I still think that the driver head and the purpose of a particular design is a large contribution to the fitting task, especially the newer high launch low spin drivers that have appeared lately. That is what the SLDR is supposed to be all about.I JUST received my shipment today. I'll find out soon if it stands up to TM's claims..[/i]
[i]Happy fitting[/i]
[/quote]

That's fine. Standing "by the premise that the correct technology in the right hands will (by default) improve distance is flawed. Otherwise why is Dustin Johnson's driving distance the following: 2013 304.8, 2012 310.2, 2011 314.2? Is he not properly fitted? But I thought the R1 was better technology than the R11. I thought the R11 was better technology than the R9. Why isn't he hitting the ball further? Same reason Bubba's and all the other top driving PGA tour players numbers look similar and fluctuate up and down from year to year. HEADS HAVE BEEN MAXED. They can't do anything tangible for distance. We definitely agree that fitting is the key. I guess we'll just agree to disagree on the importance of the head. Give me a 913 and an Amp Cell Pro - I can get a lot more out of fitting for the right shaft than simply swapping those two heads around. Not saying that head isn't important, but these days once we've identified the right loft, the majority of the fit is in the shaft. Cheers!

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='gunmetal' timestamp='1376271100' post='7657080']
[i]gunmetal,[/i]
[i]Never once did I suggest a spin rate. I said the right spin rate and nor did I mention loft, I said right launch angle,simply because I did not want to get into specific swing speeds and lofts etc. I stand by the premise that the correct technology in the right hands will improve distance and accuracy gains. I really don't think it is the OEM's job to say who will or will not fit into a particular piece of equipment. That is a fitters job. And really, we are saying the same things, especially the importance of fitting., but are attacking it from a different angle. The biggest difference between us is that I still think that the driver head and the purpose of a particular design is a large contribution to the fitting task, especially the newer high launch low spin drivers that have appeared lately. That is what the SLDR is supposed to be all about.I JUST received my shipment today. I'll find out soon if it stands up to TM's claims..[/i]
[i]Happy fitting[/i]
[/quote]

That's fine. Standing "by the premise that the correct technology in the right hands will (by default) improve distance is flawed. Otherwise why is Dustin Johnson's driving distance the following: 2013 304.8, 2012 310.2, 2011 314.2? Is he not properly fitted? But I thought the R1 was better technology than the R11. I thought the R11 was better technology than the R9. Why isn't he hitting the ball further? Same reason Bubba's and all the other top driving PGA tour players numbers look similar and fluctuate up and down from year to year. HEADS HAVE BEEN MAXED. They can't do anything tangible for distance. We definitely agree that fitting is the key. I guess we'll just agree to disagree on the importance of the head. Give me a 913 and an Amp Cell Pro - I can get a lot more out of fitting for the right shaft than simply swapping those two heads around. Not saying that head isn't important, but these days once we've identified the right loft, the majority of the fit is in the shaft. Cheers!
[/quote]
The right shaft in the right head is the key to success. I threw a driver together for myself,just for fun. Maltby KE4 with Arthur Xcaliber T6+ R, tipped 1" Turned out to be the best driver I've hit in 15 years. Spins perfectly with a great launch angle and I'm seeing distances I didn't think I'd ever get to again. While I believe that the shaft is the engine of this club, I think the head is a very important part of the mix as well. same as you chose the Amp and 913 because ( I'm guessing) they are, for you the right heads for the shaft that works best for you in combination. See? The head does matter.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1376279213' post='7657942']
[quote name='gunmetal' timestamp='1376271100' post='7657080']
[i]gunmetal,[/i]
[i]Happy fitting[/i]
[/quote]

[/quote]
The right shaft in the right head is the key to success. I threw a driver together for myself,just for fun. Maltby KE4 with Arthur Xcaliber T6+ R, tipped 1" Turned out to be the best driver I've hit in 15 years. Spins perfectly with a great launch angle and I'm seeing distances I didn't think I'd ever get to again. While I believe that the shaft is the engine of this club, I think the head is a very important part of the mix as well. same as you chose the Amp and 913 because ( I'm guessing) they are, for you the right heads for the shaft that works best for you in combination. See? The head does matter.
[/quote]

Not sure about this and here is why,

My SuperTri and R9 460 were awesome with 3 different shafts...Oban Devo, DI 6 and Blue PX

My R11s has been awesome with the DI 6, and just OK with the other two and a VTS Silver.

Only two range session with the SLDR and not one shaft jumped out the most to me from these
Matrix 5X3.......never played it before
Matrix Altus.....played this shaft, but not since 2007
Fuji 6.2 VC.....worked very well in a R1
Attas 4 U.....first time trying this shaft ever
DI 6....awesome in R11s, ST and R9 450
Blue PX....same as above.

The White Tie got the nod for two rounds.

So out of this mix of shafts that have preformed well in the past and the shafts that I have never played.....not one stood out. This is very rare for me and The Driver is my best club........sure these are all not the same exact profile, but not one is too extreme from the others....you would think that I would be struggling o choose one, not still looking for one.

I might just need a 10.5 head instead, but that will be a hard pill to swallow coming from 8.5 or lower lofted from TM in the past and my current 9 degree R11s.

I guess I will need to find a club fitter with a few more shafts to try and see how it goes.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1376322991' post='7660498']
This club sounds like a fitting nightmare. If I tried that many shafts, I'd know it wasn't for me.

Sounds like you get fit with this head or just throw your money out an open window. I'm trying to remember the last "must have" club that everyone struggled to find a fit with this badly. It's been a while.
[/quote]

Sometimes too low of spin could be a very bad thing. Spin seems to be the buzz now. Went to bigger heads, to adjustable loft options and now spin is the new buzz word.

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

[quote name='deck' timestamp='1376324067' post='7660650']
This club sounds like a fitting nightmare. If I tried that many shafts, I'd know it wasn't for me.

Sounds like you get fit with this head or just throw your money out an open window. I'm trying to remember the last "must have" club that everyone struggled to find a fit with this badly. It's been a while.
[/quote]

Sometimes too low of spin could be a very bad thing. Spin seems to be the buzz now. Went to bigger heads, to adjustable loft options and now spin is the new buzz word.
[/quote]
My eyes were opened when I went thru a fitting and found that I had really flattened out my swing over the years and was not the "high spin" player I used to be. I went to 10.5 heads last year as I just needed higher initial launches and the spin the higher loft offers. And I'm not a short hitter by any means. The ball is low spin and they pair it with low spin heads now. Something has to give. You need some spin. I like how a slightly higher spinning head will stay straighter. I don't care if it loses a little yardage into a serious head wind. Low spin can be very difficult to control.

People better give their ball some consideration too if they go down the SLDR trail. Might have to go PV1 instead of a PV1x for example for the higher initial launch.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1376325175' post='7660816']
[quote name='deck' timestamp='1376324067' post='7660650']

[/quote]

[/quote]
My eyes were opened when I went thru a fitting and found that I had really flattened out my swing over the years and was not the "high spin" player I used to be. I went to 10.5 heads last year as I just needed higher initial launches and the spin the higher loft offers. And I'm not a short hitter by any means. The ball is low spin and they pair it with low spin heads now. Something has to give. You need some spin. I like how a slightly higher spinning head will stay straighter. I don't care if it loses a little yardage into a serious head wind. Low spin can be very difficult to control.

People better give their ball some consideration too if they go down the SLDR trail. Might have to go PV1 instead of a PV1x for example for the higher initial launch.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more with what you are saying.

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

Tried one today. Loud and felt 'hard'. Also tried the Opti-force 460, liked it better. Softer feel and not as loud!? Going to have to say, out of all the drivers I tried today, G25 worked best. :golfer:

Ping Traverse

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

TM P790 5-AW

TM Hi Toe 3 54/58*

TM TP Black Soto

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

It actually isn't bad for better players it performs quite nice. Good spin numbers. Low shots on the face don't have as much rpms. Overall much better than the retail r1 for me and probably other plus handicapers/low handicappers. The spin rates were even slightly lower than the stage 2 tour. The reason most people don't see a big change is because cor is maxed out and they don't work on a good launch monitor such as trackman/ flightscope to see the true numbers. Big retail stores launch monitors tend to suck and can be extremely inaccurate

A.G.

[quote name='dtowngolf' timestamp='1376347820' post='7663560']
It actually isn't bad for better players it performs quite nice. Good spin numbers. Low shots on the face don't have as much rpms. Overall much better than the retail r1 for me and probably other plus handicapers/low handicappers. The spin rates were even slightly lower than the stage 2 tour. The reason most people don't see a big change is because cor is maxed out and they don't work on a good launch monitor such as trackman/ flightscope to see the true numbers. Big retail stores launch monitors tend to suck and can be extremely inaccurate

A.G.
[/quote]

I think you hit the nail on the head with your post. I also think this head is going to get a lot of bad press from guys that are already mid-low spin players that would much better benefit from the G25 or something in that category.

PING G430 LST 9* 
Srixon 13.5* 
Adams LS 19* 
Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Nippon Tour 125s
Odyssey Backstryke blade 
PING/Cleveland 54* 58*

[quote name='Rob G.' timestamp='1375976175' post='7632190']
[quote name='Ti-Cip ' timestamp='1375975586' post='7632078']
if you like your black r1 better than the sldr, it makes sense. probably because you cannot generate the club head speed to properly launch the sldr. the black r1 is NOT the white r1 painted black!! it is designed differently vs the white r1. it is designed to launch higher, WITH more spin!!
sldr: higher launch, low spin
white r1: lower launch , low spin
black r1: higher launch, higher spin
[/quote]

Now that's awesome response. I don't think my 113mph swing speed is fast enough for the SLDR. Thanks man. I own a white head as well and get the same numbers as my black one.

But let the conspiracy theories continue about spin and the different colored R1s.
[/quote]

Your swing of 113 is plenty for the sldr as long as you are hittin up on your driver. I have a swing speed of 112 and play to a +2 and let me tell you this driver is the real deal. I was fitted at the TM performer lab in Carlsbad ,ca. The new thinking is 1700 an 17 degree launch angle. You all need to get properly fitted . With my 112 swing speed I was pumping the ball out nearly 315-325 consistently.

I think the bad press for the most part are from guys who try to fit themselves. I have witnessed at least a dozen or more fittings/ demos. Not one person, with this head and right shaft LOST anything. In fact most saw decent gains. Nothing earth shattering, but gains none the less. What is hurting is that many who I saw demo it have R1 black, V2, Stage 2 etc drivers, and can't justify $400-$500 for 5 yards when they just bought a driver this year....now guys with R11 and older drivers and are ready for something new, by all means are all over this club. Most guys just are not ready to drop $1200 on drivers in the span of 2 months, plain and simple. I also believe as one poster mentioned, big box store sims and monitors are so inaccurate, that when guys get these drivers out in the real world, they have buyers remorse. If TaylorMade wants to sell more and keep more happy customers, offer the head only through real fitting centers

Zolex 0 CC "The Hammer" driver
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

What if you don't have an outdoor fitting center near you?

Maybe Taylormade should fly everyone out to the Kingdom so they can get fitted properly?

Every man, woman and child would be playing the SLDR and Taylormade would rule the WORLD!

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='MorikawaTMAG' timestamp='1375927101' post='7628742']
They can get faster, and they are. All WRXers just assume that when Taylormade says "longest driver" they mean 10-20 yards. In reality each driver probably only gains you [size=5][b]a 5 MPH ball speed maybe giving you 1-5 extra yards[/b][/size], which you will probably not notice.
[/quote]

I take it Math wasn't your best subject in High School when you graduated,,,,, last year was it ? :beruo:[size=4] [/size]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

Was going to weigh in on this topic but i am. I am 1 handicap and currently play an Adams ls 9.5 degree tour head (will people's) with motore speeder 6.2 frequencied at 6.0. With that information I have not been very consistent with my driver lately and want something new. I have always been a high spin player on the driver so thought I would try the sldr.

First session was on the range and I used a 9.5 and 10.5 with stock stiff shaft. Tone honest the 9.5 was difficult to hit consistent, but when I switched to the 10.5 there was marked difference. I could tell how I compared distance wise but from consistency and miss standpoint the sldr seemed to win.

Second session - played 18 holes in the morning with my driver and then played nine after with the 10.5 sldr. To my amazement the sldr was longer on all but one hole compared to the morning and the hole it wasn't I missed badly and it was equal. Again misses much better.

I was totally shocked since the Adams driver has been the longest driver I have ever hit. I haven't purchased but I am extremely interested now. Need to try some new shaft combos - any suggestions?

While not for everyone the sldr is by far the best looking and performing tm driver in a while - FOR ME.

[quote name='Rebel420' timestamp='1376355052' post='7664226']
I think the bad press for the most part are from guys who try to fit themselves. I have witnessed at least a dozen or more fittings/ demos. Not one person, with this head and right shaft LOST anything. In fact most saw decent gains. Nothing earth shattering, but gains none the less. What is hurting is that many who I saw demo it have R1 black, V2, Stage 2 etc drivers, and can't justify $400-$500 for 5 yards when they just bought a driver this year....now guys with R11 and older drivers and are ready for something new, by all means are all over this club. Most guys just are not ready to drop $1200 on drivers in the span of 2 months, plain and simple. I also believe as one poster mentioned, big box store sims and monitors are so inaccurate, that when guys get these drivers out in the real world, they have buyers remorse. If TaylorMade wants to sell more and keep more happy customers, offer the head only through real fitting centers
[/quote]

Also, as another post pointed out, the ball used makes a big difference. I have the stage2 and a ProV1x is simply an unreal distance machine for me BUT the SLDR and the same ball...10-15 shorter on average. Will try another shaft as I love the sound and feel but the Stage 2/Titleist ball combo is a beast for me. Too many variables though...Shaft, ball, club setting, attack angle, blah, blah, blah....

[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1376341878' post='7662944']
Tried one today. Loud and felt 'hard'. Also tried the Opti-force 460, liked it better. Softer feel and not as loud!? Going to have to say, out of all the drivers I tried today, G25 worked best. :golfer:
[/quote]
I found that the ball had that soft feel coming off the center of the face of the SLDR. The ball speed is there, I just need to find the right shaft and setting to get that 17* launch angle that TM recommends.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

[quote name='Rob G.' timestamp='1376394153' post='7666350']
[quote name='mweaver84' timestamp='1376358771' post='7664668']
I have no clue where a place in Minnesota fits people outdoors...
[/quote]

Rush creek can do it. I know Eric Chiles could at the Chaska Town Course if you ask him as well. There are multiple places. Just need to ask.
[/quote]

Sweet thank you! Will definitely have to check one of those places out next time I am trying out a driver. Played Spring Hill yesterday (got a buddy that works there so played for free...I'm not rich =P) and I was crushing my R1, gonna be tough to replace it right now.

TM Q10 LS 9, Graphite Design AD XC X
TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

You guys are great, I came to check out what people who have hit the sldr have to say and you get a couple informative posts mixed in with 5 pages of arguments and bs.

Titleist TSR2 9 Fujikura Ventus Blue
Srixon ZX mkll 15 Ventus Red

Taylormade Sim2 Max 19 GD
Srixon ZX 5 MKII 4-AW Nippon
Vokey SM7 54/10

Vokey SM9 59/5

Scotty tri sole Newport 2 ct

Titleist ProV1

So my SLDR arrived today. TP version with a UST VTS Silver 6S. Looks great and then I throw it on the measuring stick....45". I ordered standard specs on it which have the TP version at 45.25". Pretty frustrating as I don't want to hit it yet since it will probably have to go back. It was ordered directly from Taylormade's website. Anyone have experience with their customer service? Are they good, bad etc? Thanks

Just to put some info out there about the sliding weight track.... TM beat Mizuno to the punch by over a year.

Taylor Made Patent, filed 12/19/2006:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/US7775905.pdf

Mizuno Patent, filed 02/08/2008:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/c64e096133884218e574/EP1955740B1.pdf

M3 9.5* - Fujikura 757TR
M5 15* - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
M1 5W - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
P760 3i - KBS $ Taper Black
P730 5-PW - KBS $ Taper Black
Milled Grind 50 & 55 DG TI Onyx
Hi-Toe 60 DG TI Onyx
Spider X Navy

[quote name='blav28' timestamp='1376507850' post='7676768']
Just to put some info out there about the sliding weight track.... TM beat Mizuno to the punch by over a year.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/US7775905.pdf

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/c64e096133884218e574/EP1955740B1.pdf
[/quote]

Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything even remotely true!

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

[quote name='blav28' timestamp='1376507850' post='7676768'] Just to put some info out there about the sliding weight track.... TM beat Mizuno to the punch by over a year. Taylor Made Patent, filed 12/19/2006: https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/US7775905.pdf Mizuno Patent, filed 02/08/2008: https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/c64e096133884218e574/EP1955740B1.pdf [/quote]

ahhhh so your saying it is even older technology then we thought it was.... :taunt:

TM Q10 LS 9, Graphite Design AD XC X
TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

https://docs.google....s/US7775905.pdf

https://docs.google....EP1955740B1.pdf

Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything even remotely true!

I read it on the internet.

Bonjour.

DDfPpzd.jpg

M3 9.5* - Fujikura 757TR
M5 15* - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
M1 5W - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
P760 3i - KBS $ Taper Black
P730 5-PW - KBS $ Taper Black
Milled Grind 50 & 55 DG TI Onyx
Hi-Toe 60 DG TI Onyx
Spider X Navy