Anyone else disappointed in the SLDR? - OP REVIEW ON PG 14 9/13/13

DaBigSaus

I hit the SLDR at a demo day yesterday and all I can say is WOW. Dispersion was tighter than anything I've ever hit and the sound is just amazing. Paired with a fuel 60x the flight was perfect; low spinning soaring bombs that literally left me in disbelief. I figured it would be pretty good from most of what I've read but I literally could not believe how awesome it was. I hit my Ping Anser right after it and it felt dead compared to the SLDR. I will definitely be gaming one here soon.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys - again, the right amount of SPIN is GOOD. It's the backstop for shot control.

Lot's of players here find the driver a bit wild off the tee due to the lack of spin. They initially were intrigued because due to some fairway condition they laced one out there and got rollout for days. Bottom line is you don't wan't 105mph, 12* LA, 1600 spin. These are the numbers I see guys at the retail stores getting excited about and buying the driver. Then returning it.

It's like hitting an old range ball with the dimples worm off.

In 45 days the SLDR will be the queen of the used rack.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1377454136' post='7741321']
[/quote]

I hate to agree with this because I'm still really liking the club, but it is not for everyone even though it was marketed to be. They already seem to be popping up for far less than retail and aren't disappearing too quickly.

Hit it today with a TS 7.2 and thought it was meh... Might as well get an 09 Burner TP. It does look better than the other 15 drivers they have released in the past 3 years.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='Rob G.' timestamp='1375915998' post='7627366']
Let me preface this with I am in no way a TM hater. Ive played TM for years and currently gaming a R1 and play the Penta ball.

I went in today to a brick and mortar with my R1 Black shafted with an AD DI 7x that just bombs expecting that the SLDR (even know it's the worst name of a club EVR) would be hands down the best driver ever.

I hit 10 with my R1 and 10 with a SLDR with my DI 7x in it. No difference in ball speed or spin.

The R1 still wins in all the categories including feel and looks. For some reason the SLDR looks big. Too Big.

THTS JST MY THGHTS RGRDNG TH NW SLDR.

Talk amongst yourselves....

The chick pea is neither a chick nor a pea.... Discuss
[/quote]

I haven't hit the sldr but to me the r1 black with an option to actually choose a loft is the best driver. It looks great, it performs really well. The single loft is a deal breaker for me because i want an 8.5 head and there is no manipulation with a sole plate and opening the face wide open that's giving me what I want. I'm also not willing to pay top dollar for the pro version release that gives the option.

The one major plus I see with the sldr is the simplified adjustments. The r1 requires an iphone app to help walk most golfers through what all the settings mean to ballflight. I'm sure a sldr pro version that's 440cc will come out at some point because i've heard a few times that the head looks big. I want the lowest spin possible so this driver might work for me, only a demo will convince me.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

Guys - again, the right amount of SPIN is GOOD. It's the backstop for shot control.

Lot's of players here find the driver a bit wild off the tee due to the lack of spin. They initially were intrigued because due to some fairway condition they laced one out there and got rollout for days. Bottom line is you don't wan't 105mph, 12* LA, 1600 spin. These are the numbers I see guys at the retail stores getting excited about and buying the driver. Then returning it.

[/quote]

I'm killing mine with enough spin and it's just as accurate as my g25 and 913 were.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

[/quote]

This times 100......got to go up in loft.....as much as 2 degrees based on what I've seen. The issue from what I've seen is not only is it ridiculously low spin but low launch as well.

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1377474819' post='7743423']
I haven't found it to be low launch just spin.
[/quote]

Maybe it was the shaft but I was launching the 9.5 at 12* when I normally launch around 14-16....I've got a positive aoa.

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

My gamer is an R1 set at Standard/10* (and Neutral Flight Bias) and played with either a Fuji Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Stiff or a UST Mamiya TourSPX VTS Black 6S, set at Standard +1, and love the Low Spin and Mid Launch that I get with either.

Yesterday I had the chance of testing a 10.5* SLDR head and hit about 50 balls with it, outside on a driving range. I interchanged both shafts and hit 25/25 balls with each and I could immediately tell that, although I was hitting the ball really well, it wasn't carrying as far/wasn't launching as high when compared to the flight characteristics of my R1 with the same shafts. Two of my playing partners were there and noticed/commented the exact thing. I had to raise the loft to 12* to get a ball flight that was close to my normal one but still felt and looked like it wasn't quite there. Such a marked difference was quite shocking to me and removed any possibility of the SLDR getting into my bag anytime soon.

Not really disappointed, as it's the indian and not the arrow. I am having a hell of a time getting hits to the center of the face. I am at 44.5" and all my impacts are in the mid-heel. My AoA has also gone from a +2-3 avg to a flat zero and sometimes negative. Something about this head is not fitting me quite right yet. I am not sure if it's because the higher than average head weight(driver is counter-balanced to a D2.5) or if I if the larger head is just screwing with me. I haven't given up, but it is certainly frustrating.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

I'm liking mine so far, I picked it up on release day over here in the UK and so far it is definitely longer than my 910D3 but most importantly it is far far easier to hit straight

For the past 6 months i've been looking for a new driver that was easier to hit straight, don't get me wrong, i'm no golf slouch, after 6 years out of golf i'm back to playing to 7 but was ending up in trouble off the tee more than i'd like

So far this year i've tried (and bought) a Covert Tour, Callaway RFE (both ended up being sold and going back to my 910) and until 2 weeks ago was all set to purchase a 913D2....however i thought i'd just wait until the SLDR

On the range it was impossible to hit anything but straight drives and yesterday on it's 4th outing I was hitting the longest straightest drives i've hit in a long time

Now I don't agree with TM bringing something out so often but the fact is that it will suit some people and not others, the stock shaft seems fine to me and there simply is not a need to spend so much on aftermarket or custom shafts (as the obsession seems to be on here) as we are not all tour pro's

I simply wanted something that I could hit as straight as possible leaving me on the short stuff as much as possible and for me I have found it, I don't care if it is replaced in 6 months, right now this will take some beating to get it out of my bag

Mishits were too punishing which is a no go for me.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1377474383' post='7743385']

[/quote]

I'm killing mine with enough spin and it's just as accurate as my g25 and 913 were.
[/quote]

I'm glad - it certainly fits a select number of people - and I never said it was crappy. Just fits a smaller number of people than some of there other products - hence a high rate of returns. I always thought the SuperTri fit a large cross section of golfers.

Whatever works is a good thing!

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1377530111' post='7746387']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm glad - it certainly fits a select number of people - and I never said it was crappy. Just fits a smaller number of people than some of there other products - hence a high rate of returns. I always thought the SuperTri fit a large cross section of golfers.

[/quote]

I need to do a SuperTri vs SLDR shoot out....great idea! I agree on the ST, as many called it a spinning top head, but not me. I will see if I can get some comparisons.

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1377530762' post='7746485']
[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1377530111' post='7746387']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I need to do a SuperTri vs SLDR shoot out....great idea! I agree on the ST, as many called it a spinning top head, but not me. I will see if I can get some comparisons.
[/quote]
The spin on a Supertri drops when the 16 gram weight is placed in the heel or toe. Go 16-1-1 or 1-1-16.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

[quote name='nickosbad' timestamp='1377499868' post='7745065'][b]Now I don't agree with TM bringing something out so often but the fact is that it will suit some people and not others, the stock shaft seems fine to me and there simply is not a need to spend so much on aftermarket or custom shafts (as the obsession seems to be on here) as we are not all tour pro's[/b][/quote]

Just because the stock shaft works for you doesn't mean that it'll work for the vast majority.

The way I see it, it isn't an obsession. I've been playing the wrong shaft for far too long (always thinking that the stock or even some of the TP offerings were good enough for me) and it translated into crappy (although still very playable) results. Once I was professionally fitted and was told what type of shaft profile worked for me and went ahead a got a new one, my game improved drastically in a very short time and my index dropped 4-5 strokes in just a matter of weeks.

The right shaft can make a world of difference. And yes, that may be an excuse to justify our ho'ing ways, but the numbers do support that theory.

[quote name='diabolo' timestamp='1377537178' post='7747343']
[quote name='nickosbad' timestamp='1377499868' post='7745065'][b]Now I don't agree with TM bringing something out so often but the fact is that it will suit some people and not others, the stock shaft seems fine to me and there simply is not a need to spend so much on aftermarket or custom shafts (as the obsession seems to be on here) as we are not all tour pro's[/b][/quote]

Just because the stock shaft works for you doesn't mean that it'll work for the vast majority.

The way I see it, it isn't an obsession. I've been playing the wrong shaft for far too long (always thinking that the stock or even some of the TP offerings were good enough for me) and it translated into crappy (although still very playable) results. Once I was professionally fitted and was told what type of shaft profile worked for me and went ahead a got a new one, my game improved drastically in a very short time and my index dropped 4-5 strokes in just a matter of weeks.

The right shaft can make a world of difference. And yes, that may be an excuse to justify our ho'ing ways, but the numbers do support that theory.
[/quote]
You should note, however, that your success came after professional fitting. You could easily fit into a stock shaft profile now that you [i]know[/i] what your profile is. What you are describing is a more informed YOU, not inferior stock shafts. The simple fact is, most stock shafts WILL be just fine for most golfers. Even better if it included a fitting.

I said it when I first tried it and was mauled here for daring to tell the truth...
The SLDR is easily 15 yards shorter than my r11s with the same shaft, trying a myriad of different loft combinations.
I'm glad for a small number of folks looking for a super game improvement driver this is a great fit, more power to you. The SLDR reminds me of the square driver phase that came and went in a summer. Everyone had to have one and they were awesome because of how straight they were. How many people do you see playing them now?
The driver to me was short and dead feeling. It feels and preforms exactly like a TM Dick's Exclusive release, which if you believe the rumors this was going to be until the R1 sales were so bad.

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1377549167' post='7748603']
I said it when I first tried it and was mauled here for daring to tell the truth...
The SLDR is easily 15 yards shorter than my r11s with the same shaft, trying a myriad of different loft combinations.
I'm glad for a small number of folks looking for a super game improvement driver this is a great fit, more power to you. The SLDR reminds me of the square driver phase that came and went in a summer. Everyone had to have one and they were awesome because of how straight they were. How many people do you see playing them now?
The driver to me was short and dead feeling. It feels and preforms exactly like a TM Dick's Exclusive release, which if you believe the rumors this was going to be until the R1 sales were so bad.
[/quote]

Lol
The sldr spins much less than the r11spin. The r11 is the sgi driver, more power to you though.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

[/quote]

15 yards shorter, really? I'm going to agree that this driver does seem finicky with the loft and shaft combinations, but none that I have hit describe the characteristics you are referring to. I had to go from a 9.5 to a 10.5 and honestly could probably get away going with the 12 degree head. The shaft I play in my R1 wouldn't work in the SLDR for me so I was forced to find something else. Real world problem, I know.

[/quote]~117 SS, ~165-170 BS, ~14*LA with 1900-2200 spin; pretty good if you ask me.

[/quote]

Wow, one of the best posts I have read on here :good:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1377560447' post='7749691']

[/quote]

Wow, one of the best posts I have read on here :good:
[/quote]

Just curious Tai. Have you hit the SLDR yet? Thoughts??

I'm glad for a small number of folks looking for a super game improvement driver this is a great fit, more power to you.
It feels and preforms exactly like a TM Dick's Exclusive release, which if you believe the rumors this was going to be until the R1 sales were so bad.
[/quote]

You do realize this is one of the least-forgiving clubs TM has made in years? The side affect of pushing the CoG forward is a reduction in MOI. That's why pros have no trouble making the switch (and reap the benefits of spin reduction) but less skilled golfers cannot understand why they lose 15 yards from their current driver. Hitting the center of the face is vital with the SLDR.
As I've said before, TM made a list air not marketing the SLDR as a 'tour' level driver. Basically the opposite as a Dick's special.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

[/quote]
Actually, the SLDR is rumored to be an Adams design that was brought to market earlier than expected under TM instead of Adams.

TM specials at Dicks Sporting Goods tend to be rebadged JDM releases that are a year or two old.

BTW, I own all three TM Drivers that you listed and the SLDR is longer in distance than the R11s and R1. You just need to get fitted for it.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

[quote name='grumpy84' timestamp='1377559095' post='7749579']

[/quote]~117 SS, ~165-170 BS, ~14*LA with 1900-2200 spin; pretty good if you ask me.
[/quote]

And your point is ??? :rolleyes:[size=4] [/size]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='rbilramz' timestamp='1377564842' post='7750079']
I'm glad for a small number of folks looking for a super game improvement driver this is a great fit, more power to you.
It feels and preforms exactly like a TM Dick's Exclusive release, which if you believe the rumors this was going to be until the R1 sales were so bad.
[/quote]

You do realize this is one of the least-forgiving clubs TM has made in years? The side affect of pushing the CoG forward is a reduction in MOI. That's why pros have no trouble making the switch (and reap the benefits of spin reduction) but less skilled golfers cannot understand why they lose 15 yards from their current driver. Hitting the center of the face is vital with the SLDR.
As I've said before, TM made a list air not marketing the SLDR as a 'tour' level driver. Basically the opposite as a Dick's special.
[/quote]

Not really sure about your COG claim based on these facts....the R9 series heads were still super forgiving with the heavier weights forward instead of in back. ( played mine 8-1-8 instead of 1-16-1)
With the R1 TM claimed that they moved the MWT more forward then the past offerings and I just never read about people saying the R1 is not forgiving. Now, this might be more true with the weight forward in the center of the head and not to the sides.

I have not found the SLDR is less forgiving then past offerings myself. I am missing it more left then with past offerings but I am also playing more loft then ever and add the fact that I have no seen an actual loft measurement post on here to date to verify their loft.

You could be 100% correct about the COG, but I would love to hear why my SuperTri was so forgiving with 16 grams of weights forward toward the face.

At long last a new driver that actually works... I have had so much trouble with my R1 since I got it. Changing shafts, altering loft, lowering weight, heavier grip - you name it, I've tried it - eventually arriving at 12* with stock (R) shaft.

I used to be a very straight albeit short driver (220 carry) at abt 95 ss. I had tremendous trouble carrying 220 with my R1 and I never knew where the ball was going to end up. (Thanks TMBob for your tip with experimenting with lower weights though).
The ball never had any hang time but sort of just fell out of the sky despite decent contact. I've had big problems breaking 80 on my home course unless I was lucky enough with the driver not to end up in too big trouble. I did have a -2 nine hole round the other day thanks to the tee ball actually happened to be in play. (My hcp is 6.3 at this time)

I had every reason to expect the SLDR being even more difficult than the R1 due to the advertised lower spin - but being very TM loyal (bordering to obsession) I couldn't resist ordering one.. I received it today... 12* stock Regular shaft. I tried it on the range with 4 different shaft left overs from my R1 days and ended up with a Graphite Design Tour AD Quattrotech 55. And what do you know... all of a sudden the ball actually 1) stayed in the air, 2) went pretty straight, 3) rolled a mile, 4) ended up close to where I intended - and 5) was at least 15 yards longer than a perfect hit with the R1. The half misses with the SLDR were much longer and straighter than the R1. I shot an easy 76 (+4) and every drive was in play. I couldn't be happier with the SLDR - this is definitely the right club for me. :golfer: I'll get in a launch monitor soon to check my numbers - that will be very interesting.