Anyone else disappointed in the SLDR? - OP REVIEW ON PG 14 9/13/13

DaBigSaus

[quote name='hogan1' timestamp='1377637481' post='7755293']
At long last a new driver that actually works... I have had so much trouble with my R1 since I got it. Changing shafts, altering loft, lowering weight, heavier grip - you name it, I've tried it - eventually arriving at 12* with stock (R) shaft.

I used to be a very straight albeit short driver (220 carry) at abt 95 ss. I had tremendous trouble carrying 220 with my R1 and I never knew where the ball was going to end up. (Thanks TMBob for your tip with experimenting with lower weights though).
The ball never had any hang time but sort of just fell out of the sky despite decent contact. I've had big problems breaking 80 on my home course unless I was lucky enough with the driver not to end up in too big trouble. I did have a -2 nine hole round the other day thanks to the tee ball actually happened to be in play. (My hcp is 6.3 at this time)

I had every reason to expect the SLDR being even more difficult than the R1 due to the advertised lower spin - but being very TM loyal (bordering to obsession) I couldn't resist ordering one.. I received it today... 12* stock Regular shaft. I tried it on the range with 4 different shaft left overs from my R1 days and ended up with a Graphite Design Tour AD Quattrotech 55. And what do you know... all of a sudden the ball actually 1) stayed in the air, 2) went pretty straight, 3) rolled a mile, 4) ended up close to where I intended - and 5) was at least 15 yards longer than a perfect hit with the R1. The half misses with the SLDR were much longer and straighter than the R1. I shot an easy 76 (+4) and every drive was in play. I couldn't be happier with the SLDR - this is definitely the right club for me. :golfer: I'll get in a launch monitor soon to check my numbers - that will be very interesting.
[/quote]

Awesome!

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard back from TM today and a 12 degree is on the way.....I really think going up from ones normal loft is key as cranking up the loft via the sleeve just closes down the face and seems to create smother hook problems for me as well as many others who've chimed in. I've always played TP's for precisely that reason....I'll post updated impressions once it arrives and I get a little time with it...

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1377571727' post='7750795']
[quote name='grumpy84' timestamp='1377559095' post='7749579']
[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1377454136' post='7741321']
Guys - again, the right amount of SPIN is GOOD. It's the backstop for shot control.

Lot's of players here find the driver a bit wild off the tee due to the lack of spin. They initially were intrigued because due to some fairway condition they laced one out there and got rollout for days. Bottom line is you don't wan't 105mph, 12* LA, 1600 spin. These are the numbers I see guys at the retail stores getting excited about and buying the driver. Then returning it.

It's like hitting an old range ball with the dimples worm off.

In 45 days the SLDR will be the queen of the used rack.
[/quote]~117 SS, ~165-170 BS, ~14*LA with 1900-2200 spin; pretty good if you ask me.
[/quote]

And your point is ??? :rolleyes:
[/quote]Obviously it was a brag post that I am beast

[quote name='golfnut5438' timestamp='1377561978' post='7749823']
[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1377560447' post='7749691']
[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1377454136' post='7741321']
Guys - again, the right amount of SPIN is GOOD. It's the backstop for shot control.

Lot's of players here find the driver a bit wild off the tee due to the lack of spin. They initially were intrigued because due to some fairway condition they laced one out there and got rollout for days. Bottom line is you don't wan't 105mph, 12* LA, 1600 spin. These are the numbers I see guys at the retail stores getting excited about and buying the driver. Then returning it.

It's like hitting an old range ball with the dimples worm off.

In 45 days the SLDR will be the queen of the used rack.
[/quote]

Wow, one of the best posts I have read on here :good:
[/quote]

Just curious Tai. Have you hit the SLDR yet? Thoughts??
[/quote]

I have hit both the TDXXXX and the retail head with 6.3TS and DI-BB shafts. I think it's okay.. but nothing that blew me away. One of my issues with TM is that they release so many drivers that the improvements over the previous model or two is negligible, and I think the SLDR follows suit. The main reason that I like it, is that it looks better than the other models but as far as performance, I wasn't floored at all. I really do hope they go back to the "TP" line and give us a legit offering with new technology and more of a classic look and feel.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='Hairpie' timestamp='1377644732' post='7755801']
Heard back from TM today and a 12 degree is on the way.....I really think going up from ones normal loft is key as cranking up the loft via the sleeve just closes down the face and seems to create smother hook problems for me as well as many others who've chimed in. I've always played TP's for precisely that reason....I'll post updated impressions once it arrives and I get a little time with it...
[/quote]
Their customer service really is top notch. If they're reading this (and I know someone from TM is) kudos to you.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

[quote name='Derek666' timestamp='1376773779' post='7695038']
[b] Anyone else disappointed in the SLDR?[/b]

Charles Howell III
[/quote]

I think he had it back in the bag this week though.

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

[quote name='PingDrv00' timestamp='1377713120' post='7760327']
[quote name='Derek666' timestamp='1376773779' post='7695038']
[b] Anyone else disappointed in the SLDR?[/b]

Charles Howell III
[/quote]

I think he had it back in the bag this week though.
[/quote]

Yea, it's an alright club and he gets payed to put in there. Would do the same.

Also, he now knows to leave it in the bag if/when it falls apart again

TM Q10 LS 9, Graphite Design AD XC X
TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

I can honestly say that the first time I saw the SLDR I was unimpressed, and really had no interest in hitting it. I ran out of tape regripping a few clubs at the house, and decided to pop into the local GolfSmith. They weren't too busy, so I finally picked up the SLDR TP 9.5 set to Standard, and all I can say is wow. I was just hitting long high bombs, and it was super easy to hit. This is a brand new store as well so the monitors have not been jacked as well, and I have compared against my gamer many times and the numbers are dead on. I will say it is not pretty, but every swing just the same launch and spin. It was almost automatic. I tried the 10.5 as well, and it seemed even better, and just seemed to go forever. It was enough for me to want to put up up against my current gamer, but regardless I won't buy until the price drops a bit. I think $499 for the TP is just a bit silly.

I have had 2 range sessions with the SLDR. The first range session I hit the SLDR next to my R1 tp and just switched the shaft between the 2 (Ahina 70x). I started out hitting range balls and while I did like the feel and sound better than my R1 (it has about 6 cotton balls in it btw) I was not overly impressed with the SLDR vs my R1 regarding consistency. I found my R1 much more consistent and maybe just a hair shorter than the SLDR........then I pulled a used Srixon out of the bag and man the SLDR came to life. I only had one old ball in the bag that I was willing to blast down the range, so I decided to come back another day with my shag bag and hit better balls. I did notice that the ball flight with the SLDR set at 9.5* was very similar to my R1 set at 8* but with less spin. The SLDR seemed to have a higher initial launch but produced a very piercing mid high flat trajectory while the R1 had a lower initial launch but seemed to have more spin and did not produce as flat of a ball flight as the SLDR. Don't get me wrong, I have hit some good tee balls with the R1, but overall I feel the spin is a bit higher than I would like. My second range session was a bit shorter than I would have liked due to lack of daylight, but I was able to hit about a dozen balls from my shag bag. The result was similar to what I saw with the one good ball I hit in the first range session.......mid flight low spin flat trajectory bullets. I do think that a proper fitting is more crucial to this driver vs the R1 as it seems to be a bit finicky (for lack of a better word). I am planning on spending more time hitting the SLDR, as I want to try the 10.5 with my shaft and adjusted down to 10 or 9.5 before pulling the trigger. I also think the swingweight is a bit lower/better with the SLDR vs my R1 which is currently D8. All in all I think the SLDR is a great fit for those that need to lower their spin. The people that are bashing this club, more than likely aren't producing enough spin and or club head speed to keep it in the air. Just my .02

PING G430 LST 9* 
Srixon 13.5* 
Adams LS 19* 
Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Nippon Tour 125s
Odyssey Backstryke blade 
PING/Cleveland 54* 58*

[quote name='evanseze' timestamp='1377749208' post='7763645']
I have had 2 range sessions with the SLDR. …….[b]. Don't get me wrong, I have hit some good tee balls with the R1, but overall I feel the spin is a bit higher than I would like.[/b]
[/quote]

R1 too spinny? How is that possible? - it's the second lowest spinning head every created in the industry behind the SLDR. Sounds like you are coming at the ball with an extreme AoA or badly open face angle.

That's the first time I've ever read R1 and too high spin in the same paragraph.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[/quote]

I have TP and jacking it up to 12 degrees does close the face and cause problems. Once I get this puppy tuned in however Look Out!

[quote name='Lobber' timestamp='1377818125' post='7768245']
[/quote]

I have TP and jacking it up to 12 degrees does close the face and cause problems. Once I get this puppy tuned in however Look Out!
[/quote]

I was getting 17-18* LA with the 10.5. Still sub-1800 spin. Why would I want to see 20-22*+ launch angles with a 12* driver to get the spin up to normal? Those are not the drives my eye likes to see.

Our golf course Asst Professional came outside to the range the other day and said "OK I have the SLDR figured out. You have to gear it to 12*…or use a 12* head." He proceeded to hit some of the dumbest looking shots I've ever seen. Sooo freaky high that they weren't realistic and you didn't know where they were going to land. A couple guys standing around said "Yeah, I don't like the look of that at all"…after a few shots he said "Me either".

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

Ok. So being the OP I think I need to share a couple thoughts. I still bought one, I have a 10.5 head and I finally feel like I have it dialed in.

I play my R1 with an AD DI 7x. And I thought that if that shaft worked for my R1 it would be an easy fit in my SLDR.

Well not all combos work out as I thought. I put a Matrix 6x3 White Tie in the SLDR and things change. My swing weight now is D3 and it feels better than my AD DI 7x in the SLDR.

I played my SLDR today with it set one notch below standard and the weight moved one notch to draw. And holy cow!!! I hit it well today. Better than I've hit my R1. Had consistent 300+ yard bombs and one that my buddies and I measured one of them at 362 on a par 5. (Had 132 left in and still made par! DOH!)

In short after playing the SLDR and finding the right combo of head and shaft for me it has changed my view. I wanted to like this when it came out. Now i can say I do love this Tmag Head. I love the deep face and the classic shape of it. By far the most beautiful driver TMag has released.

So to end my thought here I am a believer and will game this for awhile.

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1377815166' post='7768017']
[quote name='evanseze' timestamp='1377749208' post='7763645']
I have had 2 range sessions with the SLDR. …….[b]. Don't get me wrong, I have hit some good tee balls with the R1, but overall I feel the spin is a bit higher than I would like.[/b]
[/quote]

R1 too spinny? How is that possible? - it's the second lowest spinning head every created in the industry behind the SLDR. Sounds like you are coming at the ball with an extreme AoA or badly open face angle.

That's the first time I've ever read R1 and too high spin in the same paragraph.
[/quote]

Amazing........you might just be the greatest golf instructor on the face of the planet in that you can diagnose my swing from just a few lines of text, maybe Tiger should reach out to you, so you can share with him some of your incredible swing thoughts......might get him over the 14 hump. I can promise you the R1 is not the 2nd lowest spinning head ever created......... Cobra pro D, j33, etc etc just to name a few that are lower spin. Besides that, most of the amateur guys from Europe don't swing hard enough to generate too much spin, so I can understand your confusion.

PING G430 LST 9* 
Srixon 13.5* 
Adams LS 19* 
Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Nippon Tour 125s
Odyssey Backstryke blade 
PING/Cleveland 54* 58*

[quote name='Rob G.' timestamp='1377822340' post='7768563']
Ok. So being the OP I think I need to share a couple thoughts. I still bought one, I have a 10.5 head and I finally feel like I have it dialed in.

I play my R1 with an AD DI 7x. And I thought that if that shaft worked for my R1 it would be an easy fit in my SLDR.

Well not all combos work out as I thought. I put a Matrix 6x3 White Tie in the SLDR and things change. My swing weight now is D3 and it feels better than my AD DI 7x in the SLDR.

I played my SLDR today with it set one notch below standard and the weight moved one notch to draw. And holy cow!!! I hit it well today. Better than I've hit my R1. Had consistent 300+ yard bombs and one that my buddies and I measured one of them at 362 on a par 5. (Had 132 left in and still made par! DOH!)

In short after playing the SLDR and finding the right combo of head and shaft for me it has changed my view. I wanted to like this when it came out. Now i can say I do love this Tmag Head. I love the deep face and the classic shape of it. By far the most beautiful driver TMag has released.

So to end my thought here I am a believer and will game this for awhile.
[/quote]

Funny that you mentioned how the SW was better with the 6X3 shaft . I found the same thing with a 5X3 I was messing with that was a friends. It has to be a counter balance shaft, because just like you found out, my SW dropped big time also. I also think that they are a touch heavier then a normal 6 or 5 series shafts.

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1377842385' post='7770021']
Had consistent 300+ yard bombs and one that my buddies and I measured one of them at [b]362 on a par 5.[/b]
[/quote]

Ah..Golfwrx.
[/quote]

I can verify the 362 yard bomb. Hole was playing downwind, although not severely, and the course was dry which led to some serious roll. That being said, one Bushnell read 364 and the other read 362. I can also verify that it took him 4 shots to get the ball in the cup from GW territory.

Rob, you know better than to post numbers like that on WRX regardless if they're true or not. Especially in a TM thread!

My issue with the r1 was it went too high with too much spin. It sounds like this club resolves that problem, so that's a good thing to me.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

Ah..Golfwrx.
[/quote]
Ah..Closed mind.

Some people do hit the ball a long way, he's not asking you to believe it. It's difficult for me to post things that may be helpful to people because I spend half my time warding off people like you who won't open up and believe it's possible that someone not on television can hit the ball as far/further.

SLDR 460 8.5° / TEE XCG6 16.5°
2-PW '94 Ram FXTG / Rifle 7.0
Cally Jaws CC SW 55° / LW 60°
Arm Lock Ping Cushin / Salty Grip.
WITB Link

[quote name='Froth' timestamp='1377869034' post='7770825']
Ah..Golfwrx.
[/quote]
Ah..Closed mind.

Some people do hit the ball a long way, he's not asking you to believe it. It's difficult for me to post things that may be helpful to people because I spend half my time warding off people like you who won't open up and believe it's possible that someone not on television can hit the ball as far/further.
[/quote]

There are people out there that can clobber the ball. I'm not one but have played with many. Just because you hit the tar out of it doesn't mean you make eagle on every 5 par and shoot in the 60s every round. If I recall correctly the winner of the PGA hits it about as far as many of us mere mortals.

[quote name='winn0040' timestamp='1377870616' post='7770955']
[quote name='Froth' timestamp='1377869034' post='7770825']
Ah..Golfwrx.
[/quote]
Ah..Closed mind.

[/quote]

There are people out there that can clobber the ball. I'm not one but have played with many. Just because you hit the tar out of it doesn't mean you make eagle on every 5 par and shoot in the 60s every round. If I recall correctly the winner of the PGA hits it about as far as many of us mere mortals.
[/quote]

passive brag, kind of... I'm a fairly long hitter, usually hit a couple 300 yard drives each round. A couple rounds ago I birdied all 4 par 5s in the round! (first time ever) Still ended up shooting an 88... =P

TM Q10 LS 9, Graphite Design AD XC X
TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

Had consistent 300+ yard bombs and one that my buddies and I measured one of them at [b]362 on a par 5.[/b]
[/quote]

Ah..Golfwrx.
[/quote]
There are a number of us who have played with Rob. Don't worry yourself about it.

[quote name='david92' timestamp='1377880573' post='7772093']
Anyone finding that a shaft working in a current driver just doesn't work in the SLDR?
I have used an Accra MT60 in a 2012 RBZ Tour and it is great...same shaft in the SLDR it seems dead and short
[/quote]

You nailed it. I get along great with my Matrix RUL in my R1, but it's a no go in the SLDR. Had to do some experimenting but found one that works for me in there as well. Now comes the temptation to keep two drivers around.

I really thought the stock TP shaft was pretty dang solid. I am surprised more people are not liking it.

[quote name='PingDrv00' timestamp='1377880895' post='7772127']
I really thought the stock TP shaft was pretty dang solid. I am surprised more people are not liking it.
[/quote]

I wanted to/still want to give it a whirl, but the TP offerings were lagging a few weeks behind the non-TPs. I'm still not even sure if the local stores have them in stock.

Ok I am done. Gave it a fair shot and I just don;t think I am man enough for this club. Started with 10.5 stock stiff and found it to be considerably shorter than my 9.5 Optiforce with Diamana Stiff (one of Callaway's stock options). Decided I needed a better shaft so returned and exchanged for the TP model also in Stiff. Initial range session was encouraging but two rounds have not been anything to write home about. Today I played with one of my regular playing partners. who uses an R1 TP with Diamana Kali. Wiht my Optiforce model I am even with him or 10yds longer on some holes . Today with the SLDR I was consistently 10-15 yds behind hiim. We have similar swing speeds, hcps, etc. Perhaps the SLDR is too low spin for me although I typically am a high spin player, maybe I need a different shaft, etc. but my experiment is done. So back to the store she goes for store credit and the Optiforce 440 jumps back in the bag.

[quote name='PingDrv00' timestamp='1377880895' post='7772127']
[/quote]
I could not have hated it more.

SLDR 460 8.5° / TEE XCG6 16.5°
2-PW '94 Ram FXTG / Rifle 7.0
Cally Jaws CC SW 55° / LW 60°
Arm Lock Ping Cushin / Salty Grip.
WITB Link