2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Walking through putting lines

Yes/No?
I noticed a complaint about this on another thread and got a bit of a chuckle. However, I realize many feel this is of the biggest breaches in golf etiquitte that can occur. Personally, I don't have a problem with it. I don't do it, because I respect the other players, but I still think it's a silly thing to worry about in this day and age.

Back when spikes were the norm, I understood how a spike mark could affect a putt. But in todays world of soft spikes only, I just don't see the issue. It's one thing on a 4 foot putt that matters but on a 15+ footer I just don't see where someone walking in ones line is going to be the reason one makes or misses that putt.

My common response when a playing partner needs to cross my line is "go ahead". I'm never in the first group on the course and my rational is that someone else has already walked across that line that day. Being a large man, I figure nobody walking that path could cause a larger depression than me by walking through it again.

I only post this as an opinion. I'm interested to see others opinion on the matter. Though I'm an average golfer (about a 10 handicap), I play with guys who are everything from 25 handicap hacks to tour pros. When I pose the question to them, they seem to have the same reaction I do, but they may just be being nice.

This all said, I still don't walk through anyones line. I just find it funny that some are so bothered by the idea of someone walking through theirs.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tour 360s leave noticeable marks. Alot of times the greens are soft and I've putted over a few footprints.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

No control on publics or munis. Alot of the better soft spikes do leave traction marks.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

I don't out of courtesy, but if someone steps on my line, it's no biggie.

We are hitting a ball with dimples on it on a surface of grass, sand, and dirt across the contours of the ground. The way look at it, a spike/softspike/footprint mark has as much chance of helping as hurting.

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I sometimes get irritated when people walk across my line without even trying to not stand on it. I once told my mate, who didn't know the etiquite of it, just to watch out for my line. Now when we play and I'm winning by a good margin he scrapes his foot across green just in front of the whole to annoy me. I don't tell anyone anymore, just push down the grass with my putter.

Edit: Woot! 100 posts

While it's true that on any given hole, someone earlier might have left a big footprint/mark directly in front of your line, the whole etiquette aspect derives from the fact that having a footprint in your line is generally a bad thing. I agree that a spike mark or a footprint could possibly help in some circumstance, but in those cases the ball is almost certainly "off line" and the mark ends up being a gift if it prods the ball back toward or into the hole.

Consider another annoyance in the same context. Suppose you're on the green, and you're checking your line and there's a sunflower seed hull right in the middle of the line. No big deal. It's a loose impediment, so you flick it away.

Now, suppose one of the knuckleheads you're playing with spits another hull right in your line.

No big deal right? It could have been spit there earlier in the day, and you'd still have to remove it anyway. If it's a good friend who's goofing on you, that's one thing.

This is the whole essence of it to me. The person who spits it there earlier in the day is rude enough, knowing that someone might have to deal with it. But for someone you're playing with to do that can only mean one of two things: your enjoyment of the game means nothing to them, or they don't have the slightest clue about golf.

Etiquette is more about signalling and communicating than it is about actually avoiding the act itself. I play a lot of walk-on golf as a single, and over time I've found that there are really three or four things that tell you the person is a player, and I mean that in the sense of "student of the game" rather than scratch.

Line acknowledgement is one of those things. It's not a big deal, but it tells you something, however small, about how that person approaches the game.

I don't mind this either but I think there's a difference between "walking thru" a line and "walking thru a line, but when stepping over it, you actually step on it"

Agree completely with this statement - BUT the only time I am "hardcore" and "by the letter" is when I'm playing with my oldest son (9yrs old) I wan thim to learn it "the right way" in the beginning and hopefully it will stay with him as he grows.

Back when spikes were the norm, I understood how a spike mark could affect a putt. But in todays world of soft spikes only, I just don't see the issue. It's one thing on a 4 foot putt that matters but on a 15+ footer I just don't see where someone walking in ones line is going to be the reason one makes or misses that putt.

if it matters on 4 footer why not on a 15+ footer? Either way the ball has to roll over that spot to get to the hole.

Now i usually dont care unless im playing in something serious, but usually if they ask ill say go ahead and they step over the line, not walk right on top of my line.

I'd personally prefer them not to step in my line. It's just courtesy, it's how I was raised to play on the golf course. If they happen to step in it by accident, it's not a huge deal to me.

What I really don't like is when they're walking across my line when I'm over my putt going thru my routine.

-Jordan

It bothers me. Some spikes, like mine, do leave marks but it is not really even that. I just don't like seeing the etiquette, honor, and rules of golf continue to slip away. So many people that play these days simply don't know the rules and many have no interest in learning . They are more interested in spanking their new driver and taking mulligans when they slice it into the next county OB. I like to see players still show respect for their playing partners. JMO. I did notice though most of you guys that posted said it didn't bother you but most of you also said you didn't do it. I am guessing for the reasons listed above. Respect for the game and you playing partner. ;)

To change gears a little here...I got paired with a guy last fall and it was obvious the didn't play a lot of golf and/or was new to the game. He walked all over everyone's line simply because he didn't know it wasn't proper etiquitte.

Would you say anything to him?

I didn't, but thought I probably should just for his own good.

To change gears a little here...I got paired with a guy last fall and it was obvious the didn't play a lot of golf and/or was new to the game. He walked all over everyone's line simply because he didn't know it wasn't proper etiquitte.

Would you say anything to him?

I didn't, but thought I probably should just for his own good.

I would for the reason you mentioned. I would just do it quietly and friendly as to not embarrass them.

Just for clarification...

If someone accidentally steps on my line, it's a non-issue. If someone walks over my line (but not stepping on my line to the hole), I don't let it bother me, but I ALWAYS walk around playing partners lines. It is slightly discourteous in my eyes to step over someoens line.

Now, is someone purposely steps ON my line, then I have a problem. Not because they have signifigantly affected my putt (which may or may not be the case), but because they are apparently looking for a confrontation.

My biggest peeve (behind slow play) is getting paired up with someone and having them grab clubs out of my bag and waggle/swing with them without asking permission.

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

for me it's not about the spike marks, but rather the weight and depression someone creates the size of a shoe. When the greens are soft there's a pretty big valley created when someone mashes their footprint into a line. Usually they do rise back up a little after a minute or two but waiting would be even more rude.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

com on, theres gotta be the one player we mentioned who does walk on lines in this forum, if not we wouldnt be having this conversation. Where are you? lol . Mostly its the newer recent players who walk on lines. Someone has to teach them etiquette. If someone does walk on your line without knowing what golf etiquette is the best thing you can do for them and the game of golf is to whisper " hey watch out for players putting paths" theyll most likely say " ooh i didnt know that". But if its a friendly game with one of your buddies for a $5 nassau go right ahead and stomp on their 3 footer for birdie! leave a crater if you have too thats 5 bucks! the price of a dog and drink at the turn! lol

I am personally not a big fan of people stepping on my line. However, if it happens I don't get too fired up about it. I have a pretty good idea that my missed putts aren't from spike marks.

How many of us pick up every single pebble from bunker shot wash on the greens.? None us do. It would take all day.

I believe the courtesy/etiquitte involved with not stepping on a players line has less to do about the foot impression left behind, and more to do with not being allowed to step in your own line.

So why should another player step in your line? That's etiquitte by definition.

There is no rule saying you can't yell NOONAN! when someone is putting, but you don't do it. Same applies with stepping in another's putting line.

• 6 years later...

I played golf with a guy in July and he's still beefing that I forgot not to walk across his line of putt maybe a coupla times. (it' now OCTOBER) I guess I may not play him again; life's too short to dwell on such matters. Sure I would not deliberately do it to him, but this was just an oversight in a friendly (or not so friendly) game. Another friend regularly touches sand. So what?