2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Random conversation thread

Sco, I did not notice one thing with my setup that required modification. When playing the Pings, I have the tendency to play the ball slightly back in my stance and with more forward press then I typically use. All in an effort to "feel the bounce" and alleviate hitting fats and thins. Felt like I had to manipulate the clubhead to get it to work properly. When playing the Apex's, this is not necessary. Setup is slightly left of center, no forward press, gets me back to square at impact reasonably well.

The other factor I have to constantly monitor is swing plane. My tendency still remains getting to upright and over the top, resulting in pulls. Last week while playing with a bud, he pointed this out to me. Was "looping" my swing. Tucked the right elbow into my side, at least it felt that way, got my swing back into a correct angle. Things sort of fall into place during the swing if I concentrate on the flatter angle almost to the point of feeling that I'm going to push everything to the right.

With things go haywire, and it happens to all of us, I push the reset button. Go back to basics and work at doing two things perfectly. For me that's setup (i.e ball position in my stance) and sing plane. All else builds from that. Didn't play at all this weekend. But had two extended range sessions working on these two issues. Felt things coming together, gathering some rhythm and tempo that heretofore has been missing so far this early season. And the practice was exclusively with the Hogans. Even to the point of hitting a nice little draw during the second session. A shot shape that is not of my repertoire.

So we'll see how this translates to the course this week. Cautiously optimistic.

Hang in there buddy, don't get overly frustrated (easy to do), focus on those things that you were doing right last season. Build things from there. It'll come back to you.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

We've certainly had those conversations in the past, Fella, about how difficult it can be playing the modern Ping irons when coming from a vintage set. Unfortunately, I don't play with a good bird dog to eyeball my swing for flaws, so short of hiring a teaching pro, I am left to my own devices.

The reset is a good idea and I'm going to do that with my vintage bag in tow and shelve the moderns for the time being. Try and simplify things; play less and practice a bit more particularly with my short game and putter because they're killing me.

This too shall pass I suppose. I'm glad I wrote about it last night because the responses so far have opened my eyes to a range of possibilities and for that I'm actually thankful for the food for thought.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

We've certainly had those conversations in the past, Fella, about how difficult it can be playing the modern Ping irons when coming from a vintage set. Unfortunately, I don't play with a good bird dog to eyeball my swing for flaws, so short of hiring a teaching pro, I am left to my own devices.

The reset is a good idea and I'm going to do that with my vintage bag in tow and shelve the moderns for the time being. Try and simplify things; play less and practice a bit more particularly with my short game and putter because they're killing me.

This too shall pass I suppose. I'm glad I wrote about it last night because the responses so far have opened my eyes to a range of possibilities and for that I'm actually thankful for the food for thought.

As long as we're throwing around ideas. A bud recommended that I video record my swing. At first, I was rather dismissive. Thinking that 1) not going to pay someone to do this 2) thought I had a pretty good idea of my swing dynamics 3) nervous to see just how woeful it may actually be. But, being self instructed like yourself, thought what the heck worth a try. Found a cheap, flexible smartphone holder ($10.00) with a clamp that I attach to the golf bag. Takes some futzing to get use to the proper framing, but it does a reasonably effective job of recording my swing. Take videos from behind and to the side, even slo-mo.

Immediately saw a couple of issues that needed attention. My distance at address to the ball was to close, constricting down swing rotation and exacerbating my over the top tendency. Second, was a bit of a wayward right elbow compromising my ability to get the club back square at impact causing the pulls. Both we're readily apparent when viewing the video. Then compare this to a couple of YouTube vids I've been using for instruction and comparison.

Have video'd a couple of range sessions now. Noticed the improvements in sequencing and tempo from the beginning of the session to where I was at the end. Now awaiting the Granddaughter to teach me the fine points of using iMovie to edit the relevant sections that I'm interested in. Another set of eyes, your own.

Nice Fella. Last time I videoed my swing was about 6 yrs ago. I immediately saw I was setting my wrists way too early in the takeaway leading to an across the line position at the top.

Yes, videoing is a fast easy way to spot obvious stuff, it just takes free time and effort, both of which I have very little of. If I have a few hours to spare a couple times every week, I would rather go to the first tee than the driving range. However, I did just get a gopro camera and clamp holder with every intention of vid'ing my swing. If I have enough balls and the swings look perfect I'll post...

Thanks Juice! I'm actually looking forward to playing tomorrow. It's just a pitch and putt so that will allow me to focus on irons and the short game. I'm playing in a scramble on Saturday. As long as I can contribute in some small way I'll be satisfied with that.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• 3 weeks later...

Since when did stand bags get to $280 a piece? I'm not talking a Jones bag or a Mackenzie, just you're basic Sun Mountain 3.5 or Ping Hoofer. We bought #1 son a SM 3.5 about 5 years ago and I think I paid $140!

$500 drivers, $280 bags, $140 golf shirts; where does it all stop? I guess it has been a while since I've been in a big box golf retailer. I don't know how people can afford to play!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I can afford to play by not buying any of that ridiculously priced crap. :stink:

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Since when did stand bags get to $280 a piece? I'm not talking a Jones bag or a Mackenzie, just you're basic Sun Mountain 3.5 or Ping Hoofer. We bought #1 son a SM 3.5 about 5 years ago and I think I paid $140!

$500 drivers, $280 bags, $140 golf shirts; where does it all stop? I guess it has been a while since I've been in a big box golf retailer. I don't know how people can afford to play!

I dunno, they had an event at our kids' school this last weekend - "Drive 4 Ur School" put on by Ford. For every person who shows up for a test drive, Ford donates $20 to the school library.

We took a nicely trimmed out Ford Explorer for a drive, and the DW said "OOH, I like this".

After taxes, etc. this bad boy came in at over $69,000. Yes, $69,000 for an Explorer. Wow. And I see some people with two of these bad boys in their driveways!

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Yeah, the prices of golf stuff have gotten totally out of control. Especially apparel. At the LGS, prices of name branded shirts and shorts are obscene. Makes for a very easy non-purchase decision as I don't like the look of most of the stuff I see. Have been really liking the Hagger Cool 18 shorts lately. Can be had a discount and with coupons for > $20 a pair. Every bit as good as the high end ones IMO.

I haven't had to shop for a new golf bag in a long time. Bought a SM C-130 bag probably 15 years ago. Paid a premium (at the time) for it. It's held up extraordinarily well all these years. No rips, very few wear spots, zippers all working fine. So it was a very worthwhile "investment". Don't know if SM has maintained the same level of quality. But without question, feel that I got good value for my $ considering how long its lasted.

Yup! DW accompanied me this morning as I went to Golftown in search of some lead tape. She has lost a lot of weight so most of her golfing apparel doesn't fit particularly well. She got an outfit. It was very nice. Do you want a new shirt for Father's Day? No, I said. Like you Fella, I didn't really care for anything on offer and I wasn't about to pay (or have her pay) those kinds of prices for the exact same sort of dry fit technology I could get at the Eddie Bauer outlet store for less than half of the price and not feel like I'm a flashing neon light when not on the golf course!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I dunno, they had an event at our kids' school this last weekend - "Drive 4 Ur School" put on by Ford. For every person who shows up for a test drive, Ford donates $20 to the school library.

We took a nicely trimmed out Ford Explorer for a drive, and the DW said "OOH, I like this".

After taxes, etc. this bad boy came in at over $69,000. Yes, $69,000 for an Explorer. Wow. And I see some people with two of these bad boys in their driveways!

The purchasing power of the dollar has really declined lately. And didn't I hear that the Feds want to raise the rate of inflation to keep the economy stable? Looking forward to $10 loafs of bread..

The purchasing power of the dollar has really declined lately. And didn't I hear that the Feds want to raise the rate of inflation to keep the economy stable? Looking forward to $10 loafs of bread..

I think it already exists. In Hawaii.

A side note for anyone watching and unaware... Sco and Scooter are from North of the border. Eh. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I just bought a new Titlest stand bag and noticed that there was no cover in the pocket as I put in the trunk. I headed back to the store to get one and got the you-must-be-an-alien look from the staff.

It turns out that they don't give you the vinyl rain cover that snaps onto the top anymore.

Huh?

The snaps are there, but no rain cover. They saved a whole 23¢ on that $250 bag by not giving us a rain cover anymore.

Inflation can come in many slimely, sleezy ways.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

I just bought a new Titlest stand bag and noticed that there was no cover in the pocket as I put in the trunk. I headed back to the store to get one and got the you-must-be-an-alien look from the staff.

It turns out that they don't give you the vinyl rain cover that snaps onto the top anymore.

Huh?

The snaps are there, but no rain cover. They saved a whole 23¢ on that $250 bag by not giving us a rain cover anymore.

A pound of coffee is nowhere even close to a pound anymore. Everything is getting smaller while the prices go up. Hey, CEOs have to make more money somehow dammit.

Huh?

"Dear Titleist, I was about to purchase one of your nice bags but found that you no longer include a rain cover. Is your next cost saver going to be no longer including a carry strap?. I've since purchased another brand bag that does come with a rain cover.

Seriously, your ex-customer ..,..........."

edit: grammar

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Wow Solo, you're the CEO of Titleist?

LOL. Watch out for that Bunny - he's a Thug.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I'm pretty sure the apparel sales are the only thing keeping most of the golf stores open -- much higher margins there iirc.

But count me in with the crowd that passes it by. I'm not interested in the new colors or materials. Moisture-wicking? Really? I think that's just marketing speak for "Hey, buy this shirt made of over-priced, inferior and thinner material that clings to your man-boobs like polyester," ???

Its actually hard to find an honest to goodness summer cotton golf shirt anymore. I did run across some at the discount store the other week, selling for all of $6 -- regular price, not markdown. As an added bonus, they were completely devoid of logos, tags, brand names, graphics, stripes, bells, or whistles. I bought 3, all plain white. My wife did not approve but I think Ben Hogan would :)

P.S. - they also had the actual Ben Hogan line of golf shirts and shorts. A more garish rack of clothes I hope never to see.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Tried to be a fan of the moisture-wicking, dri-fit type golf shirts. Majority are to clingy and waaay over priced for what you get. Gotta pay to wear the "logo". Plus, I've had some start smelling really nasty after several wears. I've been getting the LL Bean 100% cotton polos for a long time. Lots of solid colors and they come in Tall. However, they seem to have done something with their sizing because a recent one didn't fit right (to tight for my normal size) and I sent it back. So I'm not so sure anymore.

The Ben Hogan shirts found at Walmart (of all places) are a decent, moisture wicking polyester shirt, especially considering the price. Have a couple in solid colors. The rest are, as you say, "garish".

Found a Peter Millar polo at a thrift store recently for $5.00. A classy design, not "man-boob" clingy, good fit. Went online to investigate further and what they cost. High probability that it will be my one and only.

I don't know how you guys can wear cotton. It's comfortable, but it's terrible once the perspiration starts.

And with my ancestors being from northern Finland, I'll be doing some perspiring in the summers. :)

I agree with you on the prices, I've been buying Champion polos for a few years now, shopping at Target (yea, I'm a high fashion type). Another favorite of yours truly are the Haggar Cool 18 polos. Both are reasonably priced.

Once I got away from cotton, I haven't looked back. I can't imagine wearing something like that during our bouts of gulf coast weather, such as we had this past weekend.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Moisture-wicking? Really? I think that's just marketing speak for "Hey, buy this shirt made of over-priced, inferior and thinner material that clings to your man-boobs like polyester," ???

Its actually hard to find an honest to goodness summer cotton golf shirt anymore.

Agreed, though I've had luck finding cotton at Sears (Roebuck and Co., usually reasonably priced, or Southpole in the Hip-Hop garish section - I love bright colors like chartreuse). Izod outlet stores are also usually pretty good for the cottons too, though their collars seem to roll easy.

Plus, I've had some start smelling really nasty after several wears.

Correct, something about how the odor bacteria sit on the shirt makes them smell really bad, and it's tough to get the odor away once the plastic absorbs it. Think Tupperware and raw onions.

But, my go to is cotton. Shows a little perspiration, but I find it much more comfortable than the thin moisture wicking things out today, and they look better too!!!

Agreed, 100%. There have been a few days I've been glad for moisture wicking, but I find the only ones that have held up were a Callaway one I received as a door prize, and two Nike ones I bought off the distress rack at an outlet mall for something like $12 each.

Edit: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Edit 2:

fe37dexii7pgrlgna5vw.jpg

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Let me put in a good word for the company I used to work for... Lands' End.

Great polos reasonably priced and backed with the best guarantee in the industry.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.