Random conversation thread

In my neck of the woods, there is a mythological creature called a "Yowie" cousin or sub-relative of Sasquach, seen around the little village of Kilcoy. I was interested up until the reports of witnesses seeing glowing red eyes and the local club giving the Yowie a 9 hcp.

pic acknowledgements:

Kilcoy Golf Club

SLUniverse.com

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Just dodged a bullet over here. My daughter's cat Ron Weasley (he's orange, get it?) got some sort of weird infection a couple of days ago. His right leg was puffed up twice it's normal size. The vet thought he might have feline leukemia, which is fatal in cats. Well, Kira LOVES this cat, is crazy about him and the idea that we might have to put him down a week before Christmas was distressing to say the least. They cut open the abscess, drained it (TMI?) and tested the fluid and did blood work, plus a sh*t ton of antibiotics. Well the test came negative today. The swelling is down and he's going to be ok. Whew! I am beyond relieved. Don't even mind the dough we spent, well now that I think about it...I could have bought a nice set of irons with that money...

Just kidding.

All the same maybe I should talk to Kira about going to vet school when college rolls around in a few years. They make craploads of money. They're worse than doctors.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

KD, I feel your pain.

In my case, it's the wife who is the animal lover, we've had two dogs for years. Cocker Spaniel and a Cavachon (Bichon/Cavalier Spaniel mix). First, a few years ago, the Cocker eats a black walnut he'd found outside, it sticks in his intenstines and they have to go and get it. The sutures fail, because the section of his intestine where it got stuck was too damaged, and they had to go in a second time.

Yes, that was fun. Money well spent, though, in my mind.

Then, 10 months later, we take our Cavachon in for a lump on his head. Turns out to be a large tumor that's inside his eye, and even his nose. Surgery for him, they have to take his right eye. When the wife picks him up from vet, she doesn't recognize him, with the face and head shaved and the large number of stitches, he looked a bit like Frankenstein's Monster, in dog form. Wife cried all the way home. Ultimately, he was fine, though.

And then one year later, we see a lump start growing where the original one was. Yep, same thing. No way we're doing more surgery, even if it didn't take the other eye. Thing keeps growing slowly, but he gets past Xmas and into 2016. Gets so big the wife makes the Final Appt in April, but I talk her into making it an exam and advice from vet, and he says there's no reason to do anything, it's not threatening anything.

Unfortunately, it eventually started wrapping around into his mouth and apparently in his nasal passages, the sound of his breathing while sleeping woke us up in the middle of the night. Right after Thanksgiving, we had to take him in, and he didn't come home with us.

Wife was fine for most of it, but cried quite a bit just before we left, and especially after we got home.

Adding the rotten cherry on the crap sundae, my wife's birthday is 12/1. I hope she doesn't affiliate this with her birthday in future years.

Glad to hear your cat is going to be ok, KD. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

If you are an animal lover they become such a part of your life. I had a big chocolate lab named Hershey for 15 years. About 10 years ago she was on her last legs, almost totally blind and loosing control of her bowel functions. I called my vet and made an appointment to take her in the next day to put her down. That night she woke me up wanting to go outside, so I got up and took her out. Hung out with her for awhile, drinking coffee and smoking my pipe. Tossed a ball to her within her reach. She caught it, got up and trotted around the yard. I couldn't get her to go back inside, so I let her stay out.

The next morning I found her underneath her favorite tree, the ball resting in her paws, looking at peace.

She knew it was time to go and saved me the heartache of having to put her down.

If you are an animal lover they become such a part of your life. I had a big chocolate lab named Hershey for 15 years. About 10 years ago she was on her last legs, almost totally blind and loosing control of her bowel functions. I called my vet and made an appointment to take her in the next day to put her down. That night she woke me up wanting to go outside, so I got up and took her out. Hung out with her for awhile, drinking coffee and smoking my pipe. Tossed a ball to her within her reach. She caught it, got up and trotted around the yard. I couldn't get her to go back inside, so I let her stay out.

The next morning I found her underneath her favorite tree, the ball resting in her paws, looking at peace.

She knew it was time to go and saved me the heartache of having to put her down.

Just sitting in the kitchen, with my neighbor's 4 year old Golden Retriever, Penny, keeping me company. I watch her for a few hours while the neighbors are at work. She is a sweet girl, most loving dog I ever knew.

Your story about Hershey really misted me up. Our Benji type mutt, Wriggles, passed away at almost age 16, in 2004. A couple operations and a stroke through the years. She quit eating for the last couple weeks, and passed away quietly. I still miss her.

Cheers!

Sorry for your loss, but a beautiful story. Yes, they do know when it is their time, and I believe that they would do anything to spare us the pain of losing them.

I had to put two dogs down in the past year for a friend, but I grew attached to them myself. It was one of the hardest things to go thru I couldn't imagine having to let go of a human family member like that.

I still think about my dog who died in 2009. I didn't play golf for 4 years after his death because I would mostly just chip and pitch in the yard while he chased after the ball, and I didn't care to walk around anymore without him.

But in 2013 a friend dragged me to the driving range and I caught the bug again. Now I picture my dog walking with me whichever course I might be playing, even if it's just my yard.

Ohhhkay...I am running out of hankies, so here is a picture of the patient, on his way to recovery, complete with onesie to cover his bandages.

Meet Ron Weasley.

Ping 3 and 7 woods
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts

...claws are obviously working...

I needed a good laugh this morning and I just got one, lol.

Thank you, Birly.

I can't figure out how to get pictures to be right side up. Oh well...

Ping 3 and 7 woods
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts

The clubs regular Santa had knee replacement surgery, so the club manager ask around for help and my name came up. My boss, the head superintendent, started out the inquiring conversation with,"Randy, I hope you're not offended, but we would really like you to fill in for our regular Santa." "Offended, why? ". "Because I'm a bit hefty, have a long white beard and wear John Lennon glasses?"

Turns out it's a two day gig. Today's grandmother & granddaughter afternoon tea and luncheon and an appearance Christmas afternoon.

Today was the most non golfing fun I have ever had at a course. What a blessing seeing the enchanted eyes of young and old alike.

Just wanted to share my joy.

Pictures will be posted!!!

The clubs regular Santa had knee replacement surgery, so the club manager ask around for help and my name came up. My boss, the head superintendent, started out the inquiring conversation with,"Randy, I hope you're not offended, but we would really like you to fill in for our regular Santa." "Offended, why? ". "Because I'm a bit hefty, have a long white beard and wear John Lennon glasses?"

Turns out it's a two day gig. Today's grandmother & granddaughter afternoon tea and luncheon and an appearance Christmas afternoon.

Today was the most non golfing fun I have ever had at a course. What a blessing seeing the enchanted eyes of young and old alike.

Haha!! Jolly Old Saint Rocker!!

That is great Randy--- I used to play Santa a lot especially when I had the real long hair they just had to put frosting in it and wola! I used to grow my beard out some but it was kinda scraggly so I gave that up and used a fake beard. Was asked to do it this year for one of the pancake houses a friend of mine owns but had a prior commitment for a charity scramble that benefited some under priviliged children. That ended up being the biggest ever. I think they had close to 70 teams on 2 different ajoining courses. I normally do not do the scramble thing but one of the host pros was a good friend of mine and my buddy Bo- Bear wanted to play in it so we did. We ended up not playing with Bear though he ended up this week with an almost heart attack and underwent bypass surgery. He was ok after all of that and it goes to show the man upstairs answers prayers even from us sinners. But Bear wanted us to play so I got a sub and we did respectable finishing mid pack. it had been a hectic week for us with all that going on between work etc. But as they say "all is good in the neighborhood" Bo Bear came out ok and the kids really made out good. This charity gets those kids needed stuff like clothes and shoes

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

We could talk all day about things we would like to have back!!

The main one being our youth!

I do not honestly know if I could survive my youth again :taunt:

You don't ever forget your pet friends. Our 20 yr old moggy left us 6 years ago and I still hurt like hell, and I think about the 14 dogs I had last century, spaniels, foxies, boxers, bitzers - some of them working dogs - most of them lazy buggers but all of them loyal friends.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

You don't ever forget your pet friends. Our 20 yr old moggy left us 6 years ago and I still hurt like hell, and I think about the 14 dogs I had last century, spaniels, foxies, boxers, bitzers - some of them working dogs - most of them lazy buggers but all of them loyal friends.

Oh how well I know we lost our beloved Chow Chow 15 years ago but she did live to be 16 years old. A well traveled dog not to be a show dog. She ran on the truck with me and the wife for about 6 years or so. She has been to all 48 States and 4 Providences in Canada.

Our Boston we have now is 10 years old and she is showing it. From what I gather those dogs only live 12 years or so. I think she knows that because she cuddles more than ever with me and sometimes she looks at me to say hold me now while I am still here. I mean she is in good health and goes to her Vet for regular checkups but you know where I am coming from

I hope I'm not being overly sentimental by posting this but when I saw it on the news today it made my day. Wait, no actually, it made the whole Christmas season for me:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYP-SUietog[/media]

Merry Christmas, my friends.

From the notes with the video:

A 10-year-old girl who attends a special needs school in Co Down is being tipped for musical stardom after her Christmas performance of Hallelujah reduced adults to tears.

Kaylee Rogers, a pupil at Killard House School in Donaghadee, was chosen to sing a special biblical version of the Leonard Cohen classic for the school’s festive end-of-year shows. The primary seven pupil, who has moderate learning difficulties, gave an emotional performance of the song at three Christmas concerts, supported by Killard’s middle school choir.

A video of Kaylee’s rendition was also shown at a carol service at First Newtownards Presbyterian church, leaving many of the congregation in tears. It has since been uploaded on Facebook and has been shared up to 1,000 times so far.

Colin Millar, principal of Killard special school, which provides education for children with learning difficulties, speech and language difficulties and autism, said everyone who heard Kaylee sing was blown away by the power and the tone of her voice. And he said he believed she had a special gift which needed to be shared. Speaking to Belfast Live, Mr Millar said: “Kaylee came to us in primary four and our music teacher, Lloyd Scates, who is a musician and has his own band, spotted her talent straight away.

“He got her to sing a few solos and she performed at the Easter and Harvest concerts, which helped her confidence to grow. Kaylee is a lovely child; she’s very quiet and shy, but when she opens her mouth to sing, something wonderful happens.

“She may only be a child but she has an amazing tone to her voice and when I heard her sing Hallelujah, I can honestly say the hairs stood up on the back of my neck and I had tears in my eyes.

“Kaylee was supposed to perform at a carol service at First Newtownards Presbyterian church at the weekend but was unfortunately ill. We showed the video of her singing instead and it’s fair to say there wasn’t a dry eye in the house.

“I believe she has a very special gift which needs to be heard. Her voice is a complete joy.”

Killard school caters for around 200 children in total, aged between three and 16. Each year the school stages three different Christmas shows, according to age and this year, Kaylee was given the star role of singing Hallelujah at each of the three concerts. Mr Millar said he hoped the Donaghadee girl went on to receive the right training to help her fulfil her potential as a performer.

“I’ve spoken to Kaylee’s mum and she’s keen to organise vocal coaching for her,” he said. “Kaylee has a special talent that needs to be harnessed and nurtured.

“She has the voice of an angel and I believe she could go very far.” And he said he was proud of all the children involved.

“The whole production of Hallelujah is really beautiful and it’s just brilliant that these children, many of whom have learning difficulties and other issues, are bringing joy to other people with their singing.”

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Just brilliant! Even better still is that my family hales from County Down, not too far actually from Newtownards. I recall being there when we visited in 2010. It's about 15 km north of the old homestead.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• 4 weeks later...

Kabaddi. I don't play any sport that means, "to hold hands."

My niece plays patty cake. Talk to her. Lol.

JK. Just looked it up. Simple rules but intense.

Had no idea this existed. I'm in.

Hey Juice man how are the rusty Macs doing? Or did you clean them up?

Sorry for your loss, but a beautiful story. Yes, they do know when it is their time, and I believe that they would do anything to spare us the pain of losing them.

I've had Labs for over 40 years, so you know your story really hits home. I presently have 2, Cooper and Emma. Coop is a 6yr old black, and Em is a 1yr old yellow.

Thanks for the eyewash brother.

-B-

Actually mentioned them in the rounds with a vintage bag thread. I think I need to get to know them better. Hopefully a range session will straighten me out.

Actually mentioned them in the rounds with a vintage bag thread. I think I need to get to know them better. Hopefully a range session will straighten me out.

Fella informed me the other night that any Mac FCs were rated on the MPF scale as the hardest to hit clubs ever and a guy names De Ninny who is a smart guy over in the 19th hole explained to me in laymans terms why