2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Random conversation thread

Augie,

Yes it is, I couldn't afford to get cut off on the island, even if all we get if storm surge and flooding.

As they say here in Georgia, "Hunker down you hairy dogs"

Be safe!!!!

Careful - I resemble that remark! Stay in touch, and let me know what's happening "in your neck of the woods" as this thing happens.

Just talked to Augie a few minutes ago they are starting to get some wind and rain. Nothing here YET--- Been erie calm and quiet here the last couple of days. Everything closed up no traffic noise no sirens. Told Augie while ago it is so quiet here I can stand in my front yard and hear a rat pee on cotton. The community I live in there are about 300 homes I think only 5 or 6 of us stayed, My neighbor beside of me stayed no one else on this street stayed. Storm is down to cat 2 now but our really perceived threat is rain and storm surge. It supposedly will be constant rain for the next 2 days here. Like you Randy I really could not afford to go anywhere and have to stay a week or 2.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Just talked to Augie a few minutes ago they are starting to get some wind and rain. Nothing here YET--- Been erie calm and quiet here the last couple of days. Everything closed up no traffic noise no sirens. Told Augie while ago it is so quiet here I can stand in my front yard and hear a rat pee on cotton. The community I live in there are about 300 homes I think only 5 or 6 of us stayed, My neighbor beside of me stayed no one else on this street stayed. Storm is down to cat 2 now but our really perceived threat is rain and storm surge. It supposedly will be constant rain for the next 2 days here. Like you Randy I really could not afford to go anywhere and have to stay a week or 2.

Any updates from you guys? How are you fairing down there?

We are fine on this end did not get it that bad-- We are still going to get some rain until about Noon today so they say. Augie texted me last night from what I can gather they have some flooding issues but they are ok

Minimal impact in my area of The Lowcountry. Relieved, but, feeling something akin to survivors remorse for all those that are not as fortunate.

Great to hear you are ok----- Yeah I really feel for those that are out of a home or worse for those families that lost loved ones

I completely agree also.

Being of 1945 vintage I confess to being very old school and certainly over the last 20 years I've seen a progressive march to ignore the rules which make the game what it is. The outcome, for me anyway, is that whatever game they think they are playing, it's not golf. The enjoyment used to be matchplay and the minor league betting which resulted in bragging rights rather than riches. Rules were religiously enforced, you called penalties on yourself. This still happens but it is no longer the norm. There was an article here on Golfwrx which came as close as 'Damn it' is to swearing advocating legitimising the mulligan on the first tee.

Regrettably, I've given up. I play golf my way and ignore the rest. Dumbing down golf will result in it's further collapse. Hopefully there will be enough like minded people around for the next 10 years which will probably see me out.

Agree Chris. Too simplified. And I can see the three minute lost ball ruling causing some serious arguments. The way some of our members look for a ball makes you think they lost a vintage Patek watch or winning lottery ticket.

If they wanted to speed up play, make it a drop with no penalty, or a two shot penalty for even looking for a lost ball. Most people have enough in their bag that looking for a ball at the expense of others is just plain stupid. It's a golf ball, not the Hope Diamond...

What are the actual concerns with the new rules? The "big 2" I've heard are a possible relaxation of the stroke and distance penalty, and putting with the pin in.

I'll be honest. I have enough rules to deal with in my professional life. On the golf course, I'm happy with a general principal of playing it as it lies, coupled with conventional, sequential arithmetic.

Another here who saw no reason to change the current rules, it's just plain dumbing down as far as I'm concerned.

I also agree that bending of the rules, whether knowingly or not, goes on a lot these days, but I didn't play in competitions until around 10 years ago so can't say if this has increased or not.

The one I see (or should I say hear) broken most frequently is the advice one, "what are you hitting here? "do you think a 7 iron will be enough", etc, etc.

I've mentioned it many times in a friendly way in the past but it's so rife, at my club at least, that I no longer bother.

Not sure the changes will make cheating any easier, if people want to cheat then they will, whatever the rules. I just do my best to play strictly by the rules in all games but especially competition play as it's part of the game for me.

A bit like equipment advances, some people will pay small fortunes on a regular basis to have the latest club that gives them a little more distance/accuracy/etc.

I once asked on another forum (in fact several times but never once got a reply), when would you say enough is enough? If a club came along that guaranteed to hit the ball 350 or 400 yards and in the fairway every time, would you buy it?

(Blimey, I've almost built up enough of a head of steam to try posting in the Rants & Raves thread.)

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

The golfing mindset was different in the past.

In my experience we all tried to play to the lowest number we could reach,cards were put in on a regular basis in addition to competition scores.

The powers that be have jumped on the 'slow play' bandwagon and by doing so have demonstrated how dismally out of touch they are with reality.

Slow play is not a result of a complicated rules book,it is due to the ignorance and stupidity of people who have not been taught (committees at fault) or cannot be bothered to learn and adopt the right way to behave on the course.

I agree with Stixman,it will not be long before we see bigger holes and a circle round the cup for 'gimmes'.

As it is there will be no penalty for accidently striking yourself or equipment,so a wedge laid below the hole on a sloping green that stops the ball from disappearing will presumably be ok as long as I say I hit it accidentally?

The OB rule will be a fiasco as will permitting players to drop from bunkers albeit under penalty.

All this nonsense combined with changes to the handicap system make me wonder if I really want to continue especially when my current course is being ruined by a chairman of greens and captain/comp secretary who want to leave their mark.

I wonder what the reaction of the world governing body for chess would be if it was suggested they make the rules a bit more like draughts,easier to understand and quicker to play?

Am I reading these new rules correctly? You can take a 2 strike penalty and move your ball out of the bunker? Please tell me my old age, and eyesight are playing tricks on me.

Well from the way I read it that is correct---- Unless you are playing OGA rules Then no one gives two rips if you throw it out or play it.Or if you take a penalty stroke or not. BTW Bear and Checkers are NOT allowed to play out of traps period!!! No penalty both of them have had bypass surgery and seriously they both have their chests wired together and we ain't gonna have them ripping their chests open or causing other issues playing a friendly game

For your amusement I offer one rule which I shall use without mercy.

As you know I play hickory golf for fun. Others seem to play it because it gives them some mysterious status which only they can understand.

One of the hickory Holy Grails in the artillery sense is the possession of a sand club, as you will know the originals are seriously scarce + pricy.

The original originals were the Hagen dish faced clubs and clones. While legal for use in the sense that they fit the period ie pre 1935 (I'm not talking the modern remakes here) they were banned back in the day because they were deemed to hit the ball twice in making a shot.

Ha Ha, now there is no penalty. That rule revision allows me to play my dish faced broad soled sand club ( which cost me £20 btw) and it gets out of bunkers for fun!

Am I reading these new rules correctly? You can take a 2 strike penalty and move your ball out of the bunker? Please tell me my old age, and eyesight are playing tricks on me.

Well from the way I read it that is correct---- Unless you are playing OGA rules Then no one gives two rips if you throw it out or play it.Or if you take a penalty stroke or not. BTW Bear and Checkers are NOT allowed to play out of traps period!!! No penalty both of them have had bypass surgery and seriously they both have their chests wired together and we ain't gonna have them ripping their chests open or causing other issues playing a friendly game

I think they would be better off having two sets of rules, wouldn't they? A relaxed set with very few penalties for beginner and casual golfers with the second set for competition. Like the sand rule could be no penalty in interest of speeding up the game, like a fielder's choice, and play it as it lies with no removal for comp. Of course, the equipment makers wouldn't sell many wonder sand wedges anymore...

I think they would be better off having two sets of rules, wouldn't they? A relaxed set with very few penalties for beginner and casual golfers with the second set for competition. Like the sand rule could be no penalty in interest of speeding up the game, like a fielder's choice, and play it as it lies with no removal for comp. Of course, the equipment makers wouldn't sell many wonder sand wedges anymore...

I have said this many times but I think it needs repeating. Most recreational golfers play by the rules they want to since they play for fun and recreation. They do not play any comps and play for fun. They could give 2 hoots less what the PGA USGA or the R&A says they are going to do their thing.

I completely agree also.

Being of 1945 vintage I confess to being very old school and certainly over the last 20 years I've seen a progressive march to ignore the rules which make the game what it is. The outcome, for me anyway, is that whatever game they think they are playing, it's not golf. The enjoyment used to be matchplay and the minor league betting which resulted in bragging rights rather than riches. Rules were religiously enforced, you called penalties on yourself. This still happens but it is no longer the norm. There was an article here on Golfwrx which came as close as 'Damn it' is to swearing advocating legitimising the mulligan on the first tee.

Regrettably, I've given up. I play golf my way and ignore the rest. Dumbing down golf will result in it's further collapse. Hopefully there will be enough like minded people around for the next 10 years which will probably see me out.

I read that argument and I think I commented on it. I think I also stated there that sometimes it would take 3 teams of Philadelphia lawyers to argue golf rules. At this stage of my life I am done with comps and big money matches so I play for fun. But if someone wanted to play a down match strictly for the money and by rules of comp well I could come out of "retirement".

Earlier today I read the 'breakfast ball' tripe,incredible that the author teaches golf rules yet apparently has no proper understanding......language issue perhaps?

Did any fellow lefty players notice the Macgregor LH2 Tourney Colokrom irons on t'ebay?

Spotted them late last night......woke about 4.30am to look for Kaplan....1958 so close to my '59 cf4000's....gone...they were nice.....

Am almost certainly changing golf clubs so money saved on yet another set of irons I won't play with will go into subscription instead!

I had one on the 30th of June and played in a two day scramble 3 weeks later. No effects at all

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

Hey guys totally random and not golf related but how long can I expect to be laid up from a laparoscopic appendectomy.

All I have to go by is my recovery time from having part of my colon removed. All depends on how long it takes to get your core strength back up to a reasonable amount. I was chipping and putting in about two months, started trying full swings at about the three month mark.

Body, and game never fully recovered from pre op status, but, you learn to adjust.