2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Chamblee/Tiger Woods controversy (merged)

[quote name='MikeNa' timestamp='1382133227' post='8023413']
I don't think Tiger needs people to defend him on forums. I think he knows when it comes down to it, he's the best golfer in the world.

Let these people say what they want about him so they can get back to their average lives that consist of nothing worthwhile except trying to break 80 in their weekend dollar skins game...LOL
[/quote]

So is it just the plus handicappers on here defending him?

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G10 9* Prolaunch Red Stiff
Titleist 913 17* S Plus 82 Stiff
Titleist 913 21* S Plus 70 Stiff
Mizuno MP63 4-Pw SG S300 Stiff
52 & 56 MD Players Cobalt Wedge Flex
58 Ping Tour S
Rife Bimini[/font][/size]

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='middie8' timestamp='1382104588' post='8021075']
The funny thing is that Tiger could probably call the GC and say "get rid of him or I'll never do another interview or have anything to do with the GC" and he would be gone.
[/quote]

You know, you'd think that, and I think perhaps 5-10 years ago this would be correct. Right now I am not so sure.

Last 5 years were not kind to Tiger's body, psyche and his overall stature. I don't think he gets to fire GC analysts on whim.

If I were GC and he called that way, I'd say ok, go ahead don't give us interviews, only makes you and your sponsors look bad.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

[quote name='kellygreen' timestamp='1382133007' post='8023383']
[quote name='nochct1' timestamp='1382132775' post='8023367']
[quote name='bunter101' timestamp='1382131698' post='8023295']
And calling him Eldrick upsets you why?
[/quote]

It doesn't bother me. Its simply a question. Just like if someone was calling Bubba Watson by his real name, I would ask why. It just seems odd.
[/quote]

It's not "odd"...it's a subtle form of disrespect.
[/quote]

He might find "Tiger" to be pretentious or work for Tiger Conservation Society.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1382051902' post='8018129']
For the record, BC also says quite a few nice things about TW too. Try not to stay too one-dimensional as you bash Chamblee.
[/quote]True, I've heard many. But, no criticism is allowed. The stock answer is, "Yeah, but look at how many times he won."

I don't think Tiger needs people to defend him on forums. I think he knows when it comes down to it, he's the best golfer in the world.

Let these people say what they want about him so they can get back to their average lives that consist of nothing worthwhile except trying to break 80 in their weekend dollar skins game...LOL
[/quote]

Being a good golfer does not define one's life; does not make one a "good" person. There is a lot more to one's humanity than being able to hit a golf ball.

[quote name='HackerVance' timestamp='1382134509' post='8023517']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1382051902' post='8018129']
For the record, BC also says quite a few nice things about TW too. Try not to stay too one-dimensional as you bash Chamblee.
[/quote]True, I've heard many. But, no criticism is allowed. The stock answer is, "Yeah, but look at how many times he won."
[/quote]

Reading this thread I don't know if I'm listing to Ed Schultz or Rush Limbaugh...it's all the same.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1382134783' post='8023535']

[/quote]

Being a good golfer does not define one's life; does not make one a "good" person. There is a lot more to one's humanity than being able to hit a golf ball.
[/quote]

But he gives money to charity...

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G10 9* Prolaunch Red Stiff
Titleist 913 17* S Plus 82 Stiff
Titleist 913 21* S Plus 70 Stiff
Mizuno MP63 4-Pw SG S300 Stiff
52 & 56 MD Players Cobalt Wedge Flex
58 Ping Tour S
Rife Bimini[/font][/size]

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1382133717' post='8023465']
[quote name='middie8' timestamp='1382104588' post='8021075']
The funny thing is that Tiger could probably call the GC and say "get rid of him or I'll never do another interview or have anything to do with the GC" and he would be gone.
[/quote]

You know, you'd think that, and I think perhaps 5-10 years ago this would be correct. Right now I am not so sure.

Last 5 years were not kind to Tiger's body, psyche and his overall stature. I don't think he gets to fire GC analysts on whim.

If I were GC and he called that way, I'd say ok, go ahead don't give us interviews, only makes you and your sponsors look bad.
[/quote]

TGC squeezes every last drop of headlines out of the Woods name that they can. That will continue for the rest of his career.

Steinberg threatens lawsuit

[url="http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9845410/tiger-woods-agent-threatens-lawsuit-analyst-brandel-chamblee"]http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9845410/tiger-woods-agent-threatens-lawsuit-analyst-brandel-chamblee[/url]

[color=#333333][size=4][b]Brandel Chamblee's comments are shameful, baseless and completely out of line. In his rulings, Tiger voiced his position, accepted his penalty and moved on. There was no intention to deceive anyone. Chamblee's uninformed and malicious opinions, passed on as facts, and his desperate attempt to garner attention, is deplorable.[/b][/size][/color]

[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1382060867' post='8019031']
Yes, what a tangled web we weave...[b]tiger is one of the greatest cheaters we've ever seen (off the course)...

The question in play is whether or not that mentality transfers onto the course....BC certainly seems to think so - Honestly, I don't think anyone would be surprised if Tiger were a serial cheater on the course[/b]....I also don't believe we'd be surprised if he weren't -

Regardless of where you land on this, Tiger's rules "issues" this year have been curious at the least and IMO, enough to raise significant question
[/quote]

then there are a lot of on course cheaters that are/have played on the pga tour and are/have played on the champions tour

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

[quote name='bunter101' timestamp='1382134964' post='8023549']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I do too. :-)

I'm not necessarily talking about TW per se, just the cult of worship over any Touring pro (or celebrity for that matter).

[quote name='lsugolf1105' timestamp='1382135174' post='8023565']

[url="http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9845410/tiger-woods-agent-threatens-lawsuit-analyst-brandel-chamblee"]http://espn.go.com/g...randel-chamblee[/url]

[color=#333333][size=4][b]Brandel Chamblee's comments are shameful, baseless and completely out of line. In his rulings, Tiger voiced his position, accepted his penalty and moved on. There was no intention to deceive anyone. Chamblee's uninformed and malicious opinions, passed on as facts, and his desperate attempt to garner attention, is deplorable.[/b][/size][/color]
[/quote]

This just adds fuel to the fire, and shines light on the issue, which would just go away quickly since we have the attention span of gnats. :-)

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ohhhhh. My bad fellas. I didn't know this topic was about how good of a guy he has been throughout his career!

See, I thought it was about chamblee's take on Tiger Woods as a GOLFER this past season.

Sorry about that. Carry on!

Nike Covert 2.0 Tour Driver - 9.5
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood - 15
Nike Covert Performance 5 Wood - 19
Nike VR Pro Blades - 3-PW
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Putter
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 56, 60

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1382135445' post='8023597']

[url="http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9845410/tiger-woods-agent-threatens-lawsuit-analyst-brandel-chamblee"]http://espn.go.com/g...randel-chamblee[/url]

[/quote]

This just adds fuel to the fire, and shines light on the issue, which would just go away quickly since we have the attention span of gnats. :-)
[/quote]

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. The standard to prove libel in court is extremely high. I doubt anything comes of it on that side of things. But at a minimum this will probably strain Woods' relationship with TGC even more. It wasn't very good to begin with obviously.

[quote name='MikeNa' timestamp='1382135625' post='8023615']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ohhhhh. My bad fellas. I didn't know this topic was about how good of a guy he has been throughout his career!

See, I thought it was about chamblee's take on Tiger Woods as a GOLFER this past season.

[/quote]

Mike, I think it's fine to disagree with Brandel and his take on TW. What I find disturbing is the spew of vitriol being heaped upon him. It's one thing to disagree with someone, it's another to pile on so much hatred. I find it a bit bizarre.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1382063819' post='8019351']
I don't know enough about TW to form an opinion one way or the other. The only thing I DO know is he cheated on his wife. Plenty of guys have done that. Everything else is speculation.

However, when push comes to shove it really doesn't matter what a person has achieved in their life that matters. What really matters is a person's character, his "soul" if you will. If you can "do" both all the better, but to "worship" someone (anyone really), because of their wealth, achievement, etc., is rather superficial.

Admire what's inside the person, not what's on the outside. If the two coincide, terrific.
[/quote]

Care to step down from your towering equine beast and spare us of the pious, philosophical blabber?

Tiger Woods fans did NOT become fond of Tiger because of his remarkable personal character, his extreme wealth, or the content of his "soul". Tiger fans (like me), radiated towards him because of his dominant skills on the course and his ability to prevail in clutch situations. I was, and still am, captivated by his inhuman skills on the golf course. But I do so with the understanding that Tiger is a mere mortal. Just like the rest of us. Every person that continues to beat this topic (and this golfer) into the ground, CLEARLY weren't fans of Tiger Woods to begin with. And since he is back on track and winning tournaments, the fact that he was unfaithful to his wife FOUR YEARS AGO (and a few minor 2013 rules violations) are the ONLY two things that can be used to criticize the guy.

[size=4]And while we are on the subject of personal character, morals, and righteousness; isn't the ability to be [u]understanding[/u] and granting [u]forgiveness [/u]a key part of that? [/size]

[size=4]I think so...[/size]

[size=4]Edit: [/size][size=4]I apologize for singling you out, Sean. It's just extremely absurd that we are STILL talking about this.[/size]

[quote name='middie8' timestamp='1382105339' post='8021145']
[quote name='Playaway' timestamp='1382049454' post='8017937']
[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1382046304' post='8017609']
What did Chamblee win? One tour event? In Canada?
[/quote]

I trust you would agree that the more germane question would be, "How many times has Chamblee cheated?" (In just one season, sorry)

Have an A-1 day.
[/quote]

Da Germans aint got nothin to do wit dis!!!!

Sorry couldnt help myself.
[/quote]

"You sounded much taller on the radio."

Valhalla, I am coming!
Drums beating, cold English blood
runs hot.
they just can't kill the beast

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1382135857' post='8023633']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Mike, I think it's fine to disagree with Brandel and his take on TW. What I find disturbing is the spew of vitriol being heaped upon him. It's one thing to disagree with someone, it's another to pile on so much hatred. I find it a bit bizarre.
[/quote]

Sean, I completely understand that but it seems like you guys are basically doing the same thing in defense of chamblee towards fans of TW. Calling them gnats and cult worshipers, right?

It's more than understandable to not be a fan of Tiger, I just don't understand the blatant hate and disrespect being shown for him and his fans. From the looks of some of your guys' responses, you would think Tiger and his fans terrorized your city.

Nike Covert 2.0 Tour Driver - 9.5
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood - 15
Nike Covert Performance 5 Wood - 19
Nike VR Pro Blades - 3-PW
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Putter
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 56, 60

[quote name='TripleGrindSole' timestamp='1382136190' post='8023649']
I don't know enough about TW to form an opinion one way or the other. The only thing I DO know is he cheated on his wife. Plenty of guys have done that. Everything else is speculation.

However, when push comes to shove it really doesn't matter what a person has achieved in their life that matters. What really matters is a person's character, his "soul" if you will. If you can "do" both all the better, but to "worship" someone (anyone really), because of their wealth, achievement, etc., is rather superficial.

Admire what's inside the person, not what's on the outside. If the two coincide, terrific.
[/quote]

Care to step down from your towering equine beast and spare us of the pious, philosophical blabber?

Tiger Woods fans did NOT become fond of Tiger because of his remarkable personal character, his extreme wealth, or the content of his "soul". Tiger fans (like me), radiated towards him because of his dominant skills on the course and his ability to prevail in clutch situations. I was, and still am, captivated by his inhuman skills on the golf course. But I do so with the understanding that Tiger is a mere mortal. Just like the rest of us. Every person that continues to beat this topic (and this golfer) into the ground, CLEARLY weren't fans of Tiger Woods to begin with. And since he is back on track and winning tournaments, the fact that he was unfaithful to his wife FOUR YEARS AGO (and a few minor 2013 rules violations) are the ONLY two things that can be used to criticize the guy.

[size=4]And while we are on the subject of personal character, morals, and righteousness; isn't the ability to be [u]understanding[/u] and granting [u]forgiveness [/u]a key part of that? [/size]

[size=4]Edit: [/size][size=4]I apologize for singling you out, Sean. It's just extremely absurd that we are STILL talking about this.[/size]
[/quote]

Sean is an awesome guy and I respect how he feels on this.

I, otoh, worship satan and all I care about is seeing some skills ; )

But really. TW is an outstanding athlete. It is a shame if even those who do not like him can't learn something from his commitment to being the best at what he does.

[quote name='TripleGrindSole' timestamp='1382136190' post='8023649']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, I'm certainly not on a high horse TripleGrind. I don't even ride. :-)

I made the vain attempt of bringing some rationality to this discussion, with this and subsequent post. As I said, the only thing I know for sure is that TW cheated on his wife, and plenty of men have done that. All the rest is speculation.

My problem is with the hate being heaped on Brandel. Disagree with him? Fine. But, no need to treat him like a serial killer. And, no need to treat TW that way either.

[quote name='MikeNa' timestamp='1382136857' post='8023707']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1382135857' post='8023633']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sean, I completely understand that but it seems like you guys are basically doing the same thing in defense of chamblee towards fans of TW. Calling them gnats and cult worshipers, right?

It's more than understandable to not be a fan of Tiger, I just don't understand the blatant hate and disrespect being shown for him and his fans. From the looks of some of your guys' responses, you would think Tiger and his fans terrorized your city.
[/quote]

As I said above Mike, the same thing that I said about Brandel applies to TW as well. He's just an announcer, and he's just a golfer. You would think they were Hitler and Stalin they way some folks are responding. :-)

[/quote]

"Steiny" might be better served planning a way to salvage his man's record lest they find a rules "faux-pas" in one or more of Tiger's previous majors.

That would be disastrous for golf.

Who would have thunk it? How many asterisks are there in those 14? Hopefully none!

The last thing we need now is for Stevie (aka "The Big Ape") to come forward with some damning info.

Oh, and have an A-1 day!

Valhalla, I am coming!
Drums beating, cold English blood
runs hot.
they just can't kill the beast

[quote name='Playaway' timestamp='1382137497' post='8023767']

[/quote]

"Steiny" might be better served planning a way to salvage his man's record lest they find a rules "faux-pas" in one or more of Tiger's previous majors.

That would be disastrous for golf.

Who would have thunk it? How many asterisks are there in those 14? Hopefully none!

The last thing we need now is for Stevie (aka "The Big Ape") to come forward with some damning info.

Oh, and have an A-1 day!
[/quote]

I think the funniest part of "Steiny's" rant is when he says that TW had "no intention to deceive anyone"...his entire adult life has been meant to do that!