2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Chamblee/Tiger Woods controversy (merged)

[quote name='nochct1' timestamp='1382149251' post='8024693']
At the players he again asked his playing partner where to drop? Is that breaking a rule?
[/quote]

That's exactly what the rules say to do.

Calling the Players drop questionable is one of the dumbest things in this thread, which is saying something.

First, he dropped it where his opponent told him to. He did not have an option to go farther back from that spot, any more than he did at the Masters, so the haters are taking completely opposite positions on the two drops. (Note to the sensitive: no, you're not a hater any time you criticize Tiger, but yes, you're a hater if you consider the Players drop cheating --- unless you're completely ignorant of the rules. Although you might be both.)

Second, he dropped it at a horrible spot for him. He had to swing at a ball at knee level, like a baseball player. As well as he plays his long irons, going farther back to a flat spot would have given him an advantage, but he didn't do that.

Just insane.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a lighter note, maybe we should reach out and encourage Brandel Chamblee's participation in the instructional forum here. Now, that would be entertaining! :)

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

[quote name='nochrome' timestamp='1382155655' post='8025149']
On a lighter note, maybe we should reach out and encourage Brandel Chamblee's participation in the instructional forum here. Now, that would be entertaining! :)
[/quote]

Granted on the condition that Tiger participates in the Rules and Etiquette forum.

TM '07 Burner TP 8.5° Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5° PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18° PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51°/56°/60°
The Wilson 8802

[quote name='puttingmatt' timestamp='1382155379' post='8025135']
[quote name='Brock Savage' timestamp='1382141879' post='8024137']

Are there any stats for that? IMO only the BMW incident was even questionable --- he consulted his playing partners before dropping at Abu Dhabi and the Players, and blew the whistle on himself at the Masters --- nobody even looked at it until his press conference, where he said he moved back a yard or two.

One questionable incident (as opposed to BS like the boulder, which just shows the fans' ignorance of the rules) in 18 years sounds low to me, even for guys who aren't on camera every shot they hit.
[/quote]

Wow, nice defense, but it lacks....... Truth , Tiger did not blow the whistle on himself at the Masters.
[/quote]

I think the point is that if he was intentionally covering up something he wouldn't have mentioned dropping 2 yards back.

Whoa.. This story is gaining traction in the mainstream media. Straight up the charts with a bullet. This is what Chamblee and the golf channel are after... publicity, views and clicks. I would be surprised if Chamblee didn't get a raise from all this.

Tiger does need to be more careful. Perception is everything in the world he decided to live in. You know, the incredibly public, I am a brand world. Although he does look like Tiger's evil twin with that goatee he's sporting these days. Maybe he should take that "bad tiger" image to the max now. Who knows, but it will be entertaining.

[quote name='cxx' timestamp='1382167542' post='8025421']
Whoa.. This story is gaining traction in the mainstream media. Straight up the charts with a bullet. This is what Chamblee and the golf channel are after... publicity, views and clicks. I would be surprised if Chamblee didn't get a raise from all this.

Tiger does need to be more careful. Perception is everything in the world he decided to live in. You know, the incredibly public, I am a brand world. Although he does look like Tiger's evil twin with that goatee he's sporting these days. Maybe he should take that "bad tiger" image to the max now. Who knows, but it will be entertaining.
[/quote]

A few years ago he was walking on water. He literally walked on water for some product TV spot. Hit a ball off a lily pad. No joke.

Now after the big fat rigormortis "I'm Sorry"..... well let just say he ain't no Puritan. Chose to fix his swing rather than his perspective.

Now he sporting a goatee and cheating with reckless abandon. It's almost biblical. Fake media relationship with the only other person on Earth that knows as much about downhill slides. It's just wonderful. I like real butter on my popcorn. ;)

Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
The Wilson 8802

If Steiny wanted the general public to be aware of the funny games Tiger plays with the rules, he couldn't find a better way than to have a phoney little lawsuit threat thrown randomly.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

Don't find anything wrong with the article at all.
It is about time someone started to question certain things Tiger does regarding rules and their usage.

Many people would have withdrawn their-selves after it became evident he had gained an advantage a few times.
The worst one was denying the ball had moved, even after viewing the video.

I think he is becoming a bit desparate as he loses his ability.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

[quote name='SurfinTurf' timestamp='1382173088' post='8025507']
Well I just noticed I'm at 499 GolfWRX Likes.

Hump Day ;) Cheer's fellows!!

[/quote]

Thanks guys!!!

Aussie!! Aussie!! Aussie!! That's good stuff.

And Rock on OHIO!

Now let's get back to talkin' smack ;)

Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
The Wilson 8802

I am beginning to think that Brandel does not worship at The Altar of Tiger.

I think the more salient review of the year is that while Tiger can win events at places he has won before, he can't get ahead in majors after a couple of rounds like he used to, and still can't win one from behind.

TM Stealth, 10.5, HZRDUS Red 65 S
Titleist TSi2, 16.5 fairway, Oban Devotion 75, S
Titleist TSi2, 21 utility, Tensei 75, S
Mizuno 923 Forged, KBS $-Taper lite S

Vokey 50, 56, 60, KBS Tour V S
Kronos Metronome

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1382171968' post='8025489']
If Steiny wanted the general public to be aware of the funny games Tiger plays with the rules, he couldn't find a better way than to have a phoney little lawsuit threat thrown randomly.
[/quote]

This is the Oscar Wilde problem. Sucker someone into filing a lawsuit and it exposes more about them than it does the accused.

Kronos Metronome

Utter BS the majority of this here, 3 questionable rules events, all 3 of which tiger was penalised for. The players situation is people looking to make a mountain out of a molehill. Even though the drop was confirmed by his playing partner and thus should not even be questioned, there was no issue in the first place, ball was dropped in the correct place.

None of this would be an issue if worthless people werent out there trying to destroy others

fact is tiger is under the microscope more than anybody else--

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

[quote name='mizunostaffer' timestamp='1382179847' post='8025577']

[/quote]

Yeah, and he spends so much time trying to shun coverage.

Tiger gets the coverage partly because his reputation and playing record merits it, but also because he and his advisers have engineered and developed this media interest. No media interest means no endorsements. He has also built something of a reputation for displays of anger and that makes good TV too.

Kronos Metronome

[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1382149965' post='8024759']
[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1382149047' post='8024671']
[quote name='deasy55' timestamp='1382141047' post='8024053']
Mark Steinburg "This is the most deplorable thing I have seen"

Even more deplorable than you endangering lives with your DWI, Steiny?

Funny guy
[/quote]
Glass houses and stones. Bad mixture.
[/quote]

C'mon now. Steinberg sounds like an absolute fool spouting that nonsense.

What was the point of him even opening up his mouth? There is no chance they will pursue legal action. And the notion that it was "the most deplorable thing he's seen" just adds fuel to this ridiculous fire...
[/quote]

Steinberg's job is to protect his client's image and he is as big a windbag as any TV analyst. The interest in golf is always at its lowest from Oct. to Jan. and this teapot tempest creates a modicum of controversy.

It will be gone in a fortnight.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke Max 10*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Cleveland Launcher DST 15*, Diamana Red 64 R
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

[quote name='mizunostaffer' timestamp='1382179847' post='8025577']
Utter BS the majority of this here, 3 questionable rules events, all 3 of which tiger was penalised for. The players situation is people looking to make a mountain out of a molehill. Even though the drop was confirmed by his playing partner and thus should not even be questioned, there was no issue in the first place, ball was dropped in the correct place.

None of this would be an issue if worthless people werent out there trying to destroy others

[/quote]

You do realize that if this story picks up steam in the mainstream media none of what you are saying will matter. The story, and its effect, will take on a life of its own. It will be one giant dog pile. Then you'll get some real microscopic scrutiny and who knows what will happen.

[quote name='nochct1' timestamp='1382149251' post='8024693']
[quote name='DRRicks' timestamp='1382148615' post='8024631']
He didn't call the penalty against himself at BMW (as countless other pros have done). He tried to gain an advantage at The Masters and got caught. Should've been dq'd and wasn't. The TPC drop was a joke. And I really don't remember the other instance that he probably cheated. See how "facts" work?
[/quote]

I see you didn't answer the questions.

Did it take an HD video in slow motion to determine if ball moved at the BMW?
If he was trying to cheat at the masters, why would he bring up the drop? Please explain that one, I would love to hear your explanation.
If he cheated in Abu Dhabi, how did he get Martin Kaymar in on it?
At the players he again asked his playing partner where to drop? Is that breaking a rule?

Next up, let's discuss your views on Carl Peterson and Villegas.
[/quote]

NO, it was evident that the ball moved...even to Tiger.
Ego
Again, I don't know anything about Dubai...but I'm sure he was cheating
At The Players, he was 150 yds closer than he should have been...I can't help it that his playing partners weren't paying attention.

Finally, what do Peterson and Villegas have to do with anything?

[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1382150672' post='8024821']
[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1382150395' post='8024795']
He's only a fool if he said it without someone's explicit blessing.
[/quote]

Well, I'm not so sure about that. He's fully capable of taking responsibility for his words/actions. To me, it's irrelevant if TW gave him the thumbs up for such a response. It sounds childish and petty. Take the high road(like TW has done for most of his career) and let it go. If BC is left swinging in the wind, he looks more the fool than had there been a response...
[/quote]
I admit, it was a little over the top...

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1382149183' post='8024689']
He didn't call the penalty against himself at BMW (as countless other pros have done). He tried to gain an advantage at The Masters and got caught. Should've been dq'd and wasn't. The TPC drop was a joke. And I really don't remember the other instance that he probably cheated. See how "facts" work?
[/quote]
Your facts don't jive with official explanations of the events. Better re-look at your ummm....facts.
[/quote]

Official explanations are usually damage control. The facts are on video,
Each of these violations resulted in penalties, disputing those facts, is just delusional .

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

[quote name='puttingmatt' timestamp='1382192339' post='8026035']
[/quote]
Your facts don't jive with official explanations of the events. Better re-look at your ummm....facts.
[/quote]

Each of these violations resulted in penalties, disputing those facts, is just delusional .
[/quote]
The fact is, only those who dislike him intensely call him a cheater.

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1382192572' post='8026041']
[quote name='puttingmatt' timestamp='1382192339' post='8026035']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
The fact is, only those who dislike him intensely call him a cheater.
[/quote]

I disagree .

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Just because you don't like someone, that doesn't mean he or she is a cheater, just a rules violator or rules incompetent, either way, he or she needs to learn the rules and if they don't, ask someone who does know and all controversy is avoided.

Callaway Epic Max 10.5 Mitsubishi AVBlue 65 S
Callaway Paradigm HL 3 wood Hazardous Silver 60S
Callaway Rogue ST 5 wood Mitsubishi Tensi Blue AV

Ping I25 4-LW ZZ65 

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2013

Bridgestone B RX
God Bless America

Stay Free

[quote name='MikeNa' timestamp='1382088539' post='8020359']
Quite a few people replying to this topic actually remind me of people like chamblee and miller.

[b]Chamblee is obviously extremely bitter[/b] about something in his life so he takes his tv opportunities to take his frustrations out on the person who in fact is one of the most accomplished golfers in the history of the sport. Chamblee is the same type of guy who gets on these forums and has to go "against the grain" because he's an "individual" with a "genuine" opinion that's better than someone who's a fan of TW (because that's too mainstream). He's just someone who never got good enough to beat the next guy at anything in his life.

And miller, miller is just embarrassing...

Nobody's perfect. Tiger has made some bad decisions in his life, but so have you. Nobody's hating on you for missing your kid's baseball game or ditching your wife to shoot an 80 in your little club championship.
[/quote]

Or maybe he is extremely bitter about someone destroying the fabric of the game that he loves so much and has made his life.

[quote name='Body_Visions' timestamp='1382197293' post='8026305']
[quote name='MikeNa' timestamp='1382088539' post='8020359']
Quite a few people replying to this topic actually remind me of people like chamblee and miller.

[b]Chamblee is obviously extremely bitter[/b] about something in his life so he takes his tv opportunities to take his frustrations out on the person who in fact is one of the most accomplished golfers in the history of the sport. Chamblee is the same type of guy who gets on these forums and has to go "against the grain" because he's an "individual" with a "genuine" opinion that's better than someone who's a fan of TW (because that's too mainstream). He's just someone who never got good enough to beat the next guy at anything in his life.

And miller, miller is just embarrassing...

Nobody's perfect. Tiger has made some bad decisions in his life, but so have you. Nobody's hating on you for missing your kid's baseball game or ditching your wife to shoot an 80 in your little club championship.
[/quote]

Or maybe he is extremely bitter about someone destroying the fabric of the game that he loves so much and has made his life.
[/quote]

You don't actually believe that statement do you? C'mon man

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

IMO, Brandel likes the media attention, probably had a big ego prior to sports commentating, and realized if he took the less traveled road, he'd be "the man" people are listening to/ talking about.

I think it's just an egomaniac type thing that's become somewhat addictive for him

F9 Driver, Atoms TS Blue 6S
F9 3-wood, Atmos TS Blue 7S
Hogan VKTR 20*, UST Recoil 85F4
Hogan Edge Irons, KBS Tour-V
Hogan Equalizer 50*,54*,58* Wedges, KBS Tour-V
Odyssey Toulon San Diego Putter
Callaway Chrome Soft Plus

Let's not wax poetic about Brandel's love for the game, etc.

His increasingly personal issues with Woods the past several years are well known. Now that Tiger is winning, the attacks on Foley are ringing hollow, Brandel jumps on new opportunity.

Brandel showed his true colors and went way over the line Saturday morning at The Masters, then had to disappear for a couple of hours because he had seriously screwed up the facts of what had transpired in his eagerness to attack Woods and because his GC colleagues were nailing him on air and on Twitter.

He can say what he likes, but he has some major bias issues when it comes to Woods.

[quote name='HAWKEYE77' timestamp='1382198003' post='8026351']
Let's not wax poetic about Brandel's love for the game, etc.

His increasingly personal issues with Woods the past several years are well known. Now that Tiger is winning, the attacks on Foley are ringing hollow, Brandel jumps on new opportunity.

Brandel showed his true colors and went way over the line Saturday morning at The Masters, then had to disappear for a couple of hours because he had seriously screwed up the facts of what had transpired in his eagerness to attack Woods and because his GC colleagues were nailing him on air and on Twitter.

He can say what he likes, but he has some major bias issues when it comes to Woods.
[/quote]
Yep.