2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Chamblee/Tiger Woods controversy (merged)

[quote name='Redhill' timestamp='1382075788' post='8020139']
thank goodness for pancake houses without cameras....
[/quote]

HA!! I got a chuckle out of that zinger.

Here's the awesome thing about being a "hater". There are endless opportunities for satire. The soil just keeps getting richer. TW's desperate measures are bound to be only more ridiculous as 19 or 18 or even 15 slips out of reach. And the TW kids have got no love. They're eternally in defense mode and tend to react like cornered cats. It's an interesting case study in human nature and cult of personality fanaticism.

I have to admit, I do feel a bit sorry for Tiger. He does move the needle. In Platonic terms "Pathos" is one of the three major modes of persuasion. It's also the root word of Pathetic. Funny how a man with all the riches in the would can make life hell just by his own inner weakness, lack of character, egocentric schism, name it what you will.

So Chamblee is calling some good golf now. Used to be that golf was a game that "revealed" character. Now with all the money involved golf can literally "Make the Man". So the massive crowd of lemmings that constitute the fan base will scream POY in all caps and 20 point font in fusia or teal or chartreuse. But look at all the oversights, the "carelessness", the general disrespect for the game it's self. Money can never make the man. It can only make a suckling pig. Real men feed on something greater.

As golfers we need to respect, retain and defend the character REVEALING nature of the game. In my opinion Augusta National set the game back in a way that is difficult to even comprehend. I love the Master's for everything it is and everything it stands for. It stands for something lesser now and that's a bloody crying shame.

So in the end Golf is just a silly game. However the degradtion of the microcosm has stark and dire portents for the macrocosm. Golf is supposed to be the "getaway". Even as I write this I'm reconsidering the greatness of Bobby Jones. He walked away to persue a carrer in law. I would love to hear more about that aspect of his life actually. Sounds more intriguing than that pancake house girl.

Yuck.

TM '07 Burner TP 8.5° Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5° PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18° PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51°/56°/60°
The Wilson 8802

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a few people replying to this topic actually remind me of people like chamblee and miller.

Chamblee is obviously extremely bitter about something in his life so he takes his tv opportunities to take his frustrations out on the person who in fact is one of the most accomplished golfers in the history of the sport. Chamblee is the same type of guy who gets on these forums and has to go "against the grain" because he's an "individual" with a "genuine" opinion that's better than someone who's a fan of TW (because that's too mainstream). He's just someone who never got good enough to beat the next guy at anything in his life.

And miller, miller is just embarrassing...

Nobody's perfect. Tiger has made some bad decisions in his life, but so have you. Nobody's hating on you for missing your kid's baseball game or ditching your wife to shoot an 80 in your little club championship.

Nike Covert 2.0 Tour Driver - 9.5
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood - 15
Nike Covert Performance 5 Wood - 19
Nike VR Pro Blades - 3-PW
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Putter
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 56, 60

[quote name='thisisMikeNa' timestamp='1382088539' post='8020359']
Quite a few people replying to this topic actually remind me of people like chamblee and miller.

Chamblee is obviously extremely bitter about something in his life so he takes his tv opportunities to take his frustrations out on the person who in fact is one of the most accomplished golfers in the history of the sport. Chamblee is the same type of guy who gets on these forums and has to go "against the grain" because he's an "individual" with a "genuine" opinion that's better than someone who's a fan of TW (because that's too mainstream). He's just someone who never got good enough to beat the next guy at anything in his life.

Nobody's perfect. Tiger has made some bad decisions in his life, but so have you. Nobody's hating on you for missing your kid's baseball game or ditching your wife to shoot an 80 in your little club championship.
[/quote]

You sound rather bitter yourself regarding Miller.

Nobody's perfect ;)

TM '07 Burner TP 8.5° Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5° PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18° PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51°/56°/60°
The Wilson 8802

[quote name='SurfinTurf' timestamp='1382090172' post='8020395']
[quote name='thisisMikeNa' timestamp='1382088539' post='8020359']

[/quote]

You sound rather bitter yourself regarding Miller.

Nobody's perfect ;)
[/quote]

Not bitter at all. Miller is actually funny to listen to. His swing knowledge as an announcer on TV is in fact embarrassing, but in a completely entertaining way.

Nike Covert 2.0 Tour Driver - 9.5
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood - 15
Nike Covert Performance 5 Wood - 19
Nike VR Pro Blades - 3-PW
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Putter
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 56, 60

[quote name='thisisMikeNa' timestamp='1382088539' post='8020359']Nobody's perfect. Tiger has made some bad decisions in his life, but so have you. Nobody's hating on you for missing your kid's baseball game or ditching your wife to shoot an 80 in your little club championship.
[/quote]

I don't like to harp on such things, but since you brought it up...Neither of those are on the same level as making a complete mockery of your marriage and disrespecting your family due to a delusion that you are untouchable.

And if I ever did such things I would fully expect for various people to look negatively upon that. Who wouldn't?

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Attempting to read a Chamblee story with the intent to find actual nuggets of information, fact based reporting, and practical suggestions is flat out impossible.. His reporting standard is at not even at the National Enquirer level.

Tiger is not perfect- no one is. We all know the story on the importance of majors, but 2013 was hardly an F. He had an exceptional [u]career [/u]in one year. The rules issues were a sideshow.

That said, it's not carte blanche to be an absolutely horrible journalist and a over the top TV personality.

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1382095420' post='8020521']
[quote name='thisisMikeNa' timestamp='1382088539' post='8020359']Nobody's perfect. Tiger has made some bad decisions in his life, but so have you. Nobody's hating on you for missing your kid's baseball game or ditching your wife to shoot an 80 in your little club championship.
[/quote]

I don't like to harp on such things, but since you brought it up...Neither of those are on the same level as making a complete mockery of your marriage and disrespecting your family due to a delusion that you are untouchable.

And if I ever did such things I would fully expect for various people to look negatively upon that. Who wouldn't?
[/quote]
Sure. But we eventually would let it drop, stop clubbing you with it and let you continue living your life hoping you get it right the next time.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I'm not a fan of tiger and normally don't jump into all the hate threads either. People don't bring up the free drop he got after airmailing a clubhouse and the ball landed in the cup holder of the staff who miraculously came back with the ball just before the 5 minutes was up.

Is tiger one of the best players ever? for sure he is. Has he had too many favourable rulings? 100%

There are a lot of dumb rules in the game.. like when tigers' ball moved maybe a 1/16" when he touched the twig... did the ball move yes it did... but he backed off... didn't remove the twig.. was not given any advantage and he played the shot out.

now did he see it move... i would assume that he did and should be penalized under the current rules. So having said that i enjoy watching chamblee tee off on tiger for hours and then tiger basically tells chamblee where he can shove his comments by finishing the event.

All i would want at the end of the day is the rules to be enforced properly... even the dumb ones... regardless of who breaks/bends them and the appropriate penalty assessed.

Chamblee just took first place passing Johnny Miller in I'm an annalist so I can say whatever I want award even if it is stupid... I am so tired of people drilling Tiger for absolutely every little thing he does... If he winning apparently he is cheating. If he isn't winning then he is washed up and done forever. Tiger Woods was VOTED player of the year. This means his peers picked him for this award. Tiger didn't choose himself.

Chamblee I give you an F. For your poor style and your remarks against people that have done great things for this game. Tiger Woods made the game of golf as big as it is today. Chamblee would not make as much money if Tiger would not have inspired thousands of people to pick up the game of golf and start supporting the sport every single weekend. Chamblee you are biting the hand that feeds you. Good Day Sir.

[quote name='Playaway' timestamp='1382049454' post='8017937']
[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1382046304' post='8017609']
What did Chamblee win? One tour event? In Canada?
[/quote]

I trust you would agree that the more germane question would be, "How many times has Chamblee cheated?" (In just one season, sorry)

Have an A-1 day.
[/quote]

Da Germans aint got nothin to do wit dis!!!!

Sorry couldnt help myself.

The funny thing is that Tiger could probably call the GC and say "get rid of him or I'll never do another interview or have anything to do with the GC" and he would be gone.

You know Chamblee is one of those guys that is the first one to raise his hand when they sa ywho wants the live feed with Tiger this weekend... He is like that little kid that is like" Oooohh Oooohhh Pick ME! Pick ME! If I was Tiger I would call the golf Channel and make him aplogize on sunday of the masters for his comments against tiger. Just so he would look like a huge D-BAG in front of golf's biggest stage.

[quote name='xabia' timestamp='1382065027' post='8019467']
Aside from this year's strangeness what do you guys have to sling at Tiger? The boulder? I am asking if I am missing something

Because the insinuation that his whole career is tainted by this year and cheating on his wife is completely absurd
[/quote]

Well put. If he was taking liberties and bending the rules his entire career there would a lot more stories about it. Especially with someone as polarizing as him.

If winning Tour events was the sole criterion for criticizing Chamblee then not a single person in this thread should be commenting on either him or Woods.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1382101460' post='8020801']
[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1382095420' post='8020521']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Sure. But we eventually would let it drop, stop clubbing you with it and let you continue living your life hoping you get it right the next time.
[/quote]
Only those with their own insecurities would continue to harp on someone for doing something years after, that has zero effect on anybody else but that person and that person's family.

That isn't directed at you Vinny. You don't do that. It's a general statement about the media and some of the posters on this site.

i don't think it is right for someone with Brandel's stage to come out and accuse tiger of cheating when he is not 100% sure that he cheated. cheating is a serious accusation to a golfer. now if tiger came out and said he cheated on purpose, then have at him. at no point this year was it ever 100% certain that tiger was trying to cheat.

Tiger Woods F..ked up three times this past season, but I do not believe he cheated. The fourth incident for which there was no penalty, was a non issue.
Even though I believe he did not cheat, I also believe he should spend some extra time under closer scrutiny by his peers and the PGA Tour, not because he cheats, but to protect him from himself. Sadly,being the best player in the world does not make him the smartest person in the world.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

The dude should be fired. It's just poor journalism and reflects terribly upon the Golf Channel. Look Tiger had his issues with the rules on the course. And I agree, that can be factored into the year he had. But to outright call Tiger a cheater because he dropped the 3 feet behind his pitchmark or because the somewhat moved when he pulled a leaf is a joke. Maybe Tiger did knowingly make those moves and try to hide them, maybe he didn't. We don't know. To then say tiger signed a wrong scorecard and somehow infer that that was cheating is just total bs. The tournament officials determined the course of action and punishment and Tiger followed them. How is that cheating?

Brandel should be fired. He has simply become another useless shock and awe journalist. The type of journalist that no one gives real merit to.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Cheating is too harsh of a term. But Tiger's manipulation and understanding
of the rules was clearly defined by the penalties he received. All in all, Tiger has
had a good year, but maybe a major next year and less rules infringements would
be more like the Tiger brand that everyone likes. I think Brandel 's letter grades
are a bit much, but it does fill these boards.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

[quote name='lsugolf1105' timestamp='1382041095' post='8017135']
[size=4][color=#000000]Chamblee gave out his grades to a bunch of the tour players today on golf.com. here is his grade of tiger.[/color][/size]

[color=#000000][size=3][url="http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-gets-f-brandel-chamblees-year-end-grades"]http://www.golf.com/...year-end-grades[/url][/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=3][b]"Tiger Woods:[/b] When I was in the fourth grade, I cheated on a math test and when I got the paper back it had "100" written at the top and just below the grade, was this quote, "Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive!" It was an oft-quoted line from the epic poem "Marmion" by Sir Walter Scott, and my teacher's message was clear. Written once more beneath that quote was my grade of "100", but this time with a line drawn through it and beneath that an F. I never did ask my teacher how she knew I cheated and I certainly didn't protest the grade. I knew I had done the wrong thing and my teacher the right, but I never forgot the way I felt when I read that quote.[/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=3]I remember when we only talked about Tiger's golf. I miss those days. He won five times and contended in majors and won the Vardon Trophy and ... how shall we say this ... was a little cavalier with the rules.*[/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=3][b][s]100 [/s]
F"[/b][/size][/color]
[/quote]
So Chamblee is a self confessed cheater on Maths tests. No surprise there, he hasnt once displayed any sign of honesty or integrity in his years of commentating. Maybe the teachers comments didnt sink in after all.

[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1382063276' post='8019305']
[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1382062119' post='8019187']
[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1382061091' post='8019055']
[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1382060867' post='8019031']
Yes, what a tangled web we weave...tiger is one of the greatest cheaters we've ever seen (off the course)...

The question in play is whether or not that mentality transfers onto the course....BC certainly seems to think so - Honestly, I don't think anyone would be surprised if Tiger were a serial cheater on the course....I also don't believe we'd be surprised if he weren't -

Regardless of where you land on this, Tiger's rules "issues" this year have been curious at the least and IMO, enough to raise significant question
[/quote]

Tiger Woods

Has won 79 PGA Tournaments

And

14 Major Championships

He won 5 PGA tournaments this year

Brandel?

Ok, I think you understand now.
[/quote]

I'm not sure what Tiger's illustrious records of achievements has to do with integrity. Yes, he's won a lot of tournaments. But, perhaps I'm too simple minded to understand how his trophy case have anything to do with his questionable rules "infractions" on the course.
[/quote]

First, my apology for being rude.

But his record of winning 80 (maybe 100 times inclusive of all events) does

Establish a high degree of credibility

His record of winning so much with his rounds being recorded/observed so closely should be considered as

You seem to attempt to draw some parallel of his personal life to his professional game.

Speculation, per your quote "serial cheater on the course" needs to be paired with the fact that he has won

79 PGA tournaments including 14 Majors in the modern age with every shot recorded.
[/quote]

Integrity = Steadfast adherence to a strict moral or ethical code. Credibility = The quality, capability, or power to elicit belief. Care to explain how you can change the English language of the later word and distort it enough so it means the same as the former. Winning "X" number of events in no earthly way translates to integrity.

POY is decided on years accomplishments or wins. In no way does that vote include the voters personal opinion of Tiger.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

[b] [size=4]This time, Brandel Chamblee goes too far in his Tiger Woods analysis[/size][/b]

[url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/local-knowledge/2013/10/this-time-brandel-chamblee-goes-too-far-in-his-tiger-woods-a.html"]http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/local-knowledge/2013/10/this-time-brandel-chamblee-goes-too-far-in-his-tiger-woods-a.html[/url]

Brandel is big news. You can Google News his name and quite a few stories come up.

He is really becoming very well known for his golf analysis.

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1382118679' post='8022315']
[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1382063276' post='8019305']
[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1382062119' post='8019187']
[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1382061091' post='8019055']
[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1382060867' post='8019031']
Yes, what a tangled web we weave...tiger is one of the greatest cheaters we've ever seen (off the course)...

The question in play is whether or not that mentality transfers onto the course....BC certainly seems to think so - Honestly, I don't think anyone would be surprised if Tiger were a serial cheater on the course....I also don't believe we'd be surprised if he weren't -

Regardless of where you land on this, Tiger's rules "issues" this year have been curious at the least and IMO, enough to raise significant question
[/quote]

Tiger Woods

Has won 79 PGA Tournaments

And

14 Major Championships

He won 5 PGA tournaments this year

Brandel?

Ok, I think you understand now.
[/quote]

I'm not sure what Tiger's illustrious records of achievements has to do with integrity. Yes, he's won a lot of tournaments. But, perhaps I'm too simple minded to understand how his trophy case have anything to do with his questionable rules "infractions" on the course.
[/quote]

First, my apology for being rude.

But his record of winning 80 (maybe 100 times inclusive of all events) does

Establish a high degree of credibility

His record of winning so much with his rounds being recorded/observed so closely should be considered as

You seem to attempt to draw some parallel of his personal life to his professional game.

Speculation, per your quote "serial cheater on the course" needs to be paired with the fact that he has won

79 PGA tournaments including 14 Majors in the modern age with every shot recorded.
[/quote]

Integrity = Steadfast adherence to a strict moral or ethical code. Credibility = The quality, capability, or power to elicit belief. Care to explain how you can change the English language of the later word and distort it enough so it means the same as the former. Winning "X" number of events in no earthly way translates to integrity.

POY is decided on years accomplishments or wins. In no way does that vote include the voters personal opinion of Tiger.
[/quote]

Not sure if we are arguing

Semantics or minutiae ; )

And it being Friday (happy Friday!), I am not in the mood for either.

Suffice if to say, winning over 100 golf tournaments under the modern media microscope precludes TW being a cheater on the golf course. And if the players on tour felt he was a cheater, they would not have voted him Player of the Year.

If you want to take issue with a man's personal life. Your prerogative.

I've defended a lot of the TV analysts and even journalist about being critical or overly negative about players. Mostly because it's got to be tough to be on air for 5-6 hours and have every word coming out of your mouth be all sweetness, light and positive. Same for golf writers - if you have to write an article 2-3 times a week....something negative is going to come out.

This time old Brandel has gone off the deep end.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1382118870' post='8022333']
[b] [size=4]This time, Brandel Chamblee goes too far in his Tiger Woods analysis[/size][/b]

[url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/local-knowledge/2013/10/this-time-brandel-chamblee-goes-too-far-in-his-tiger-woods-a.html"]http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/local-knowledge/2013/10/this-time-brandel-chamblee-goes-too-far-in-his-tiger-woods-a.html[/url]

Brandel is big news. You can Google News his name and quite a few stories come up.

He is really becoming very well known for his golf analysis.
[/quote]
He has become very well known for being the least credible golf analyst in the history of the game. And for being an A+++++ (in his own rankinv system) tool.