Putting Etiquette...Getting Better or Worse?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1384993615' post='8180678']
Take a break if golf has become this stressful. Its supposed to be fun.
[/quote]

Indeed and with a username like [i]OnePuttEagle[/i], that suggests he's not helping making it any less stressful, haha.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1384993296' post='8180638']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1384928314' post='8176480']
[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1384919012' post='8175934']
Here we go. Today I was playing with a foursome of friends. My one buddy is The Complainer. Great golfer but what a head case, there's an excuse for everything. Missed putt, god did you hear that squirrel? You know the type. So he is on a tough green in two on a par 5. He is short and has a pretty wild uphill 30 footer. My buddy is just in the rough on the back of the green and chips his ball on while the complainer is waiting for him to tend the pin. The complainer doesn't get up the slope and ends up 5 putting for 7. All of a sudden he is blaming my buddy for going out of turn (we always play ready golf). It was sad.

Long story short, don't be that guy. You missed a putt because YOU missed a putt. Something bugging you? Let the person know, and move on. Don't be the guy that is blaming everyone and everything else for bad shots and missed putts.
[/quote]

That's ironic, today I played a round of bro golf with the haymaker, the heartbreaker, and Webb simpson.
[/quote]

How did no one laugh at this?!?!

What's wrong with you guys?
[/quote]

I can't imagine everyone had two seconds to comprehend the joke while they were power scrolling haha I enjoyed it though

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

^I've been trying since first seeing those shocking ads to block it out of my mind - really didn't need any reminders.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1384994139' post='8180734']
Here we go. Today I was playing with a foursome of friends. My one buddy is The Complainer. Great golfer but what a head case, there's an excuse for everything. Missed putt, god did you hear that squirrel? You know the type. So he is on a tough green in two on a par 5. He is short and has a pretty wild uphill 30 footer. My buddy is just in the rough on the back of the green and chips his ball on while the complainer is waiting for him to tend the pin. The complainer doesn't get up the slope and ends up 5 putting for 7. All of a sudden he is blaming my buddy for going out of turn (we always play ready golf). It was sad.

Long story short, don't be that guy. You missed a putt because YOU missed a putt. Something bugging you? Let the person know, and move on. Don't be the guy that is blaming everyone and everything else for bad shots and missed putts.
[/quote]

That's ironic, today I played a round of bro golf with the haymaker, the heartbreaker, and Webb simpson.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I can't imagine everyone had two seconds to comprehend the joke while they were power scrolling haha I enjoyed it though
[/quote]

Thanks buddy!

I dunno play with a bunch of people that are on the zone.... Kinda funny, we all on the green, Im holding the flag other guy standing next to me, 2 knuckleheads are about the same distance away but they are across from each other, one guy is still distinguishably out so he should go first, but the other guy is so in the zone he doesnt see the other guy in front putting, the other dude is in the zone too so these 2 idiots putt at the hole the same damn time....well they both made their putts..... they are in the zone and nothing bothers them...

so dance scream yell I dont give a damn. if their etiquette warrants not playing with them dont play with them if not you can stand 2 inches from my face I am focused on the putt not your face.....

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='jpalermo' timestamp='1384993170' post='8180620']
If I got paired up with you, I ditch you at the turn.
[/quote]

Damn I didn't even get to the turn! I told him I forgot my wedge on 3 and started walking back to the clubhouse...

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

[quote name='Girevik' timestamp='1385055177' post='8184080']
This is why, as a new golfer, I'm paranoid about getting paired up with people when I play. The people I golf with know I'm clueless, but I'm always worried I'll violoate some unknown (to me) rule and piss someone off.
[/quote]

Learn the basics like where to stand, not to walk in people's lines, and when and when not to talk and you'll be fine. If you need help with any of that stuff just start a thread about it and we'll help you out.

[quote name='Girevik' timestamp='1385055177' post='8184080']
This is why, as a new golfer, I'm paranoid about getting paired up with people when I play. The people I golf with know I'm clueless, but I'm always worried I'll violoate some unknown (to me) rule and piss someone off.
[/quote]

Don't be.
That you are self-aware enough to know you don't know it all is a good place to start from :)

You'll find the vast majority of people you are paired up with are great. According to the OP's - who hasn't returned the thread he started, which says all you need to know about him - POV he wouldn't be able to putt in a group of PGA touring pros without being pissed off. Ignore his nonsense and enjoy playing and learning the game of golf.

F.T.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1385060314' post='8184672']

Don't be.
That you are self-aware enough to know you don't know it all is a good place to start from :)

You'll find the vast majority of people you are paired up with are great. According to the OP's - who hasn't returned the thread he started, which says all you need to know about him - POV he wouldn't be able to putt in a group of PGA touring pros without being pissed off. Ignore his nonsense and enjoy playing and learning the game of golf.
[/quote]

Wish I could turn it off, but I'm just not wired that way. I'm the same way on pace of play...allways worried I'm slowing other folks down (much more so than the people I play with, it seems).

Besides, there's an 11 page "peeves" thread right down the page.....there's a LOT I can do wrong. :)

Sto Pro Veritate

Ha ha! That is true.
In fairness it's easy for me to say, 'Just get out there!' as I'm now 41 and after returning to the game and having played a lot the past two years I am comfortable teeing off with whoever, wherever.

When I started playing in my mid 20s, I did always play with at least one of my mates, if not a full foursome, and was able to get into all aspects of the game that way, without worrying much about my impact on others. A lot of it is 'common sense' and if you read up on etiquette rules on the USGA site and maybe watch a few videos, you should be in good shape. Also this site is great for info too, you just need to filter out the riff-raff like you would on any forum.

F.T.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1385063928' post='8185030']
In fairness it's easy for me to say, 'Just get out there!' as I'm now 41 and after returning to the game and having played a lot the past two years I am comfortable teeing off with whoever, wherever.
[/quote]

Lol - that's the sad part. I've got you by a couple of years and I've only been hacking it up for a few months. I'm WAY behind the curve! It a way I think people almost might excuse a younger guy more, but at my age they probably think I should know better.

Sto Pro Veritate

[quote name='Girevik' timestamp='1385065511' post='8185184']
[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1385063928' post='8185030']
[/quote]

Lol - that's the sad part. I've got you by a couple of years and I've only been hacking it up for a few months. I'm WAY behind the curve! It a way I think people almost might excuse a younger guy more, but at my age they probably think I should know better.
[/quote]
http://www.usga.org/etiquette/tips/golf-etiquette-101/

[quote name='Girevik' timestamp='1385061995' post='8184836']
[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1385060314' post='8184672']
Don't be.

[/quote]

Wish I could turn it off, but I'm just not wired that way. I'm the same way on pace of play...allways worried I'm slowing other folks down (much more so than the people I play with, it seems).

Besides, there's an 11 page "peeves" thread right down the page.....there's a LOT I can do wrong. :)
[/quote]

Many of the folks who post in the peeve posts are also rather self absorbed. Generally, they are those who believe they are better than they are and don't see the game as a.... well.... game. Go out, hit the ball, and have fun. As a beginner you will find those people who play like you.

We have a guy who is not afraid of grinding it out. While he is grinding, we all look at each other, roll our eyes, start talking, then say something profane followed by "pick it up." He gets it, but doesn't necessarily like it. You will find a group who appreciates you and it will be great. If you find yourself in a group with the OP, like someone already said, forget your wedge pronto and get the heck out of dodge.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1385080061' post='8186694']
[url="http://www.usga.org/etiquette/tips/golf-etiquette-101/"]http://www.usga.org/...-etiquette-101/[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks. That's pretty common sense stuff and I think I pretty much followed all of that excepct maybe standing directly behind a player's ball when they're hitting. Not sure if I've done that or not (maybe on the tee), but didn't realize that was a no-no. Logged and noted.

Sto Pro Veritate

[quote name='Girevik' timestamp='1385126580' post='8189224']
[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1385080061' post='8186694']
[url="http://www.usga.org/etiquette/tips/golf-etiquette-101/"]http://www.usga.org/...-etiquette-101/[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks. That's pretty common sense stuff and I think I pretty much followed all of that excepct maybe standing directly behind a player's ball when they're hitting. Not sure if I've done that or not (maybe on the tee), but didn't realize that was a no-no. Logged and noted.
[/quote]

If you are interested in learning things, then most people will be happy to show you things. When I started playing more seriously, I found it was best to be up front with new groups, and say things like "Hey, I'm still learning some of the ins and outs of golf, so if you see me doing something that I shouldn't, don't be afraid to point me in the right direction"

That tells them that a) you're willing to learn, and b) you don't want to be a bother to anyone. Most people (if they aren't complete jerks) will appreciate that. And if they do happen to be complete jerks, then nothing will be good enough anyways.

I'm sure you will be fine and good luck!!

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Really??

From the USGA book:
[color=#000000][size=3]The game relies on the integrity of the individual to show consideration for other players and to abide by the Rules.[/size][/color]

The OP wasted an/several opportunities to continue a tradition of the game and pass on his knowledge of the game and it's etiquette, ie consideration for other players. Instead, taking the easy way out and blaming them for his inadequacies. One fart while you were putting trashed an entire round????

Most of us, I suspect, learned the nuances of the game through more experienced and mature players advising us when we were doing something that was inconsistent with what was expected. Certainly none of us were born into this world knowing what to do on a golf course.

When did talking to others in a mature manner become such a hardship??
Throwing balls off the green, hitting drivers at people, how does that help the game going forward???

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/phil-mickelson-through-years/#slide-29

Bit of luck, Bones got a damn good thrashing for daring to have the flagstick in his hand while Phil was still putting.

[quote name='jewofgolf' timestamp='1385275106' post='8198514']
I'm surprised that less people aren't at least supporting that etiquette was breached. Yes the overreaction was poor, but totally reasonable for it to bother a person.
[/quote]

At least for me, the delivery and general chest-puffery of the OP caused me to question the validity and accuracy of his/her claims.

Your mileage may vary.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
dunno man, this is pretty serious business we're dealing with here.......

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

I'm surprised that less people aren't at least supporting that etiquette was breached. Yes the overreaction was poor, but totally reasonable for it to bother a person.
[/quote]
Life is far too short to be so serious about it....

[/quote]

That's because most of them are the perpetrators of poor golf etiquette and have difficulty breaking 90. They can not comprehend that putting is roughly 40% of the game and one putts are vital to low scores and making the game more enjoyable.

[quote name='OnePuttEagle' timestamp='1385403490' post='8204820']
[/quote]

That's because most of them are the perpetrators of poor golf etiquette and have difficulty breaking 90. They can not comprehend that putting is roughly 40% of the game and one putts are vital to low scores and making the game more enjoyable.
[/quote]
Really?
What an interesting couple of theories you have, there.

[quote name='4Wedges' timestamp='1384947203' post='8176796']
I like to take the flag and as the last guy putts stand behind him and whip it over his head then look around and ask if anyone else saw that hawk.

Would that be ok in your world?
[/quote]That hawk is always dive bombing me! There this one course where on the 9th hole, near the trees... I don't hear it's squawk, just ... wwwWWOOOOHSSSHHHhh. I duck and the other 3 are laughing at me all the time. "You didn't want to warn me about that damn hawk again?!?!?"

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='OnePuttEagle' timestamp='1385403490' post='8204820']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Or, and more likely, "most of them" understand the percentages of makes based on green condition because of play and distances made.

Take Pelz's study on the pool table, and those who are struggling to understand the OP probably simply have a better understanding of the odds and just want to have fun. These hacks you are describing also realize that teeing a ball up to hit at another human being based on a misstep into a putting line (or whatever other mysterious grievance used to deflect bad golf from the golfer to his mates behavior) is beyond asinine.

[quote name='OnePuttEagle' timestamp='1385403490' post='8204820']That's because most of them are the perpetrators of poor golf etiquette and have difficulty breaking 90. They can not comprehend that putting is roughly 40% of the game and one putts are vital to low scores and making the game more enjoyable.
[/quote]

I much prefer to think that they aren't uptight doofuses whose game enjoyment hinges on one putts.

But that's just me.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip