2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

14 club rule

I still contend that less is more, [i]especially[/i] for beginners.

Get them only "every other" club until they become consistent. 3 wood, lofted hybrid, 5,7,9,W and a putter. They would lose far less balls and have more fun by scoring better.

When my friend was learning and we were at a "real" course, once off the tee, he would only hit his 7 iron until he got around the green. It made him play faster, and he sure learned to hit an iron. He would march up the fairway and hit it again! Every hole.

20 clubs? 30? Really? At what point are there diminishing returns?

X________________________________ Sign Here

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1450125404' post='12719904']
I still contend that less is more, [i]especially[/i] for beginners.

Get them only "every other" club until they become consistent. 3 wood, lofted hybrid, 5,7,9,W and a putter. They would lose far less balls and have more fun by scoring better.

When my friend was learning and we were at a "real" course, once off the tee, he would only hit his 7 iron until he got around the green. It made him play faster, and he sure learned to hit an iron. He would march up the fairway and hit it again! Every hole.

20 clubs? 30? Really? At what point are there diminishing returns?
[/quote]

Thats great that strategy worked for your friend! I just dont see it though as making most people play faster. Id have to think he was more of the exception. I am not saying everyone should carry 20. I certainty dont think its needed in any way, but I do think not having a limit would make the game easier on people. I play in a lot of tournaments and obviously abide by the 14 club limit for that, but if I could carry more, I certainly would. Ideal in my opinion to have everything would be driver, 3 4 5 wood, 2 3 hybrid 3-p iron, 52 56 60 64 degree wedges, putter, so 19 clubs. I can and am forced to get around with less, but if you had all that, you would have every shot you could want, and not really have to get as creative as you sometimes do. Like how a 64 degree wedge is something I would never carry in a tournament, because I feel great about opening my 60 up, but if I could carry a 64 and not lose out on another club, heck yes I would do it.

All just a matter of opinion on this one though!

O an maybe a 7 wood to. So their would be my 20!

[quote name='SPH' timestamp='1449672914' post='12698636']
It would also slow play down even more because of spending so much time trying to figure out how to play it, and then finding their miss hit, and repeating the same process again on the next one. I think if people had as many clubs as they wanted, they would have an easier time figuring out what to do, and it would make the game more enjoyable and faster.
[/quote]

If the decision of how to play a shot is limited by what clubs you have, the decision on what club to use is simplified. Most players would then choose to attempt a shot based upon the strengths and weaknesses of the selected club, which can be determined quite quickly. The greatest variable is the swing made at the ball. If the decision of to play a shot is limited by using a singular swing, the decision on what club to us is much more difficult. Weighting the small variances between one club or another and how their performance will influence the shot at hand is nearly impossible for the average player. Especially considering the average players swing is anything but consistent and will always be a variable. The variables of the swing and the small varying difference of clubs in a bag full of them would paralyze most players from making a decision, or second guessing all decisions. This would cause club selection to be much more difficult and a much slower decision to make during play. If the club count is significantly limited it becomes rather easy to eliminate what clubs can't perform the desired shot, which leaves the player with a simple decision on what club can, and how to play it. The more micro the game is analyzed by the player the slower the game will be played. the more macro the game is analyzed the more feel is used in play and the faster the game can be played.

Maybe a batter should only get 2 strikes.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

[quote name='hollabachgt' timestamp='1450205321' post='12723992']
If the decision of how to play a shot is limited by what clubs you have, the decision on what club to use is simplified.
[/quote]

Agreed.

And that person would learn how to be creative with making fewer clubs perform more shots rather than "where's my 150 club?"

Personally, I carry at least five "150 clubs".... (six if you count my one popped up driver last week)

X________________________________ Sign Here

It would also slow play down even more because of spending so much time trying to figure out how to play it, and then finding their miss hit, and repeating the same process again on the next one. I think if people had as many clubs as they wanted, they would have an easier time figuring out what to do, and it would make the game more enjoyable and faster.
[/quote]

If the decision of how to play a shot is limited by what clubs you have, the decision on what club to use is simplified. Most players would then choose to attempt a shot based upon the strengths and weaknesses of the selected club, which can be determined quite quickly. The greatest variable is the swing made at the ball. If the decision of to play a shot is limited by using a singular swing, the decision on what club to us is much more difficult. Weighting the small variances between one club or another and how their performance will influence the shot at hand is nearly impossible for the average player. Especially considering the average players swing is anything but consistent and will always be a variable. The variables of the swing and the small varying difference of clubs in a bag full of them would paralyze most players from making a decision, or second guessing all decisions. This would cause club selection to be much more difficult and a much slower decision to make during play. If the club count is significantly limited it becomes rather easy to eliminate what clubs can't perform the desired shot, which leaves the player with a simple decision on what club can, and how to play it. The more micro the game is analyzed by the player the slower the game will be played. the more macro the game is analyzed the more feel is used in play and the faster the game can be played.
[/quote]

As close to an "average" player, I disagree completely. It is much easier for me to play quickly if I have an exact yardage for a club. Most average golfers I play with have a much harder time when they are between two clubs, and need to figure out how to hit an easy 7, or a 75% PW. Lot more hesitation, lot more practice swings trying to get the correct feel, lot slower play.

If the average golfer has 10 yard gaps throughout the bag, how would that make club selection harder? Wouldn't it just be a matter of grabbing the correct club? If you have a 30 yard gap between clubs, and you are dead between two, that is when there is a lot more decision making.

I completely agree that for a golfer who wants to improve, learning that creativity to allow yourself to have 5 different "150 clubs" is essential. But for the average golfer that isn't spending time practicing these shots, it seems like more clubs would simplify the selection process greatly, since every shot would be a full shot with x club.

[quote name='SeaOfGreen10' timestamp='1450213554' post='12724502']
[/quote]

[/quote]

As close to an "average" player, I disagree completely. It is much easier for me to play quickly if I have an exact yardage for a club. Most average golfers I play with have a much harder time when they are between two clubs, and need to figure out how to hit an easy 7, or a 75% PW. Lot more hesitation, lot more practice swings trying to get the correct feel, lot slower play.

If the average golfer has 10 yard gaps throughout the bag, how would that make club selection harder? Wouldn't it just be a matter of grabbing the correct club? If you have a 30 yard gap between clubs, and you are dead between two, that is when there is a lot more decision making.

I completely agree that for a golfer who wants to improve, learning that creativity to allow yourself to have 5 different "150 clubs" is essential. But for the average golfer that isn't spending time practicing these shots, it seems like more clubs would simplify the selection process greatly, since every shot would be a full shot with x club.
[/quote]

In a clinical environment, perfect 10 yard gaps would be beneficial. Knowing you are 150 yards to the pin and pulling your 150 yard club should product the perfect shot. But these yardages gaps don't take into account elevation change, wind speed and direction, lie, slope at the ball, slope on/near the landing areal and ground firmness near the landing area. All factors would weigh heavily into a players shot and corresponding club selection. Knowing the exact yardage rarely gives a player enough information to play the correct shot. This also overlooked the frequent occurrence of being in between yardage, if you are 155 yards to the hole do you hit your 150 club or your 160 club? Small gapping of yardages between club easily make the choice of selecting the club a 3 or 4 club decision when all factors are addressed. This is of course presuming that the player's swing is consistent enough to hit the ball the same way every time. As the swing is a very large variable in this process. asking a player to select the "perfect" club for their upcoming shot is like picking a number on a roulette wheel. Going beyond the true average golfer, the handicapped average golfer carries a 15 handicap and would average 2.5 green in regulation per round. Which suggest that either they are consistently selecting the wrong club for their approach, or their swing is causing them to miss the green. Most likely a balance of both. While we are often taught "aim small miss small" for these average players their goal should be to just put the ball on the green, anywhere on the green they can get it. If they played with a reduced set of clubs, who's gaps are closer to the 30 yards you suggest, selecting clubs falls under picking the one who's natural distance would land the ball on the green. As greens are commonly built 30+ yards deep this should be fairly simple. The selection in many situations can be reduced to where will the natural shot with this club land on or near the green and what is the danger that particular shot can get into. If the natural shot of one's 5 iron would land their ball near the back of the green, putting themselves in a dangerous position, then stepping back one iron would allow their ball to land on or just short of the green in a safer spot. reducing the clubs available forces the player to play for much greater margins of error and simplifies what they are trying to achieve, hitting the green.

[quote name='hollabachgt' timestamp='1450241706' post='12726232']
[quote name='SeaOfGreen10' timestamp='1450213554' post='12724502']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

In a clinical environment, perfect 10 yard gaps would be beneficial. Knowing you are 150 yards to the pin and pulling your 150 yard club should product the perfect shot. But these yardages gaps don't take into account elevation change, wind speed and direction, lie, slope at the ball, slope on/near the landing areal and ground firmness near the landing area. All factors would weigh heavily into a players shot and corresponding club selection. Knowing the exact yardage rarely gives a player enough information to play the correct shot. This also overlooked the frequent occurrence of being in between yardage, if you are 155 yards to the hole do you hit your 150 club or your 160 club? Small gapping of yardages between club easily make the choice of selecting the club a 3 or 4 club decision when all factors are addressed. This is of course presuming that the player's swing is consistent enough to hit the ball the same way every time. As the swing is a very large variable in this process. asking a player to select the "perfect" club for their upcoming shot is like picking a number on a roulette wheel. Going beyond the true average golfer, the handicapped average golfer carries a 15 handicap and would average 2.5 green in regulation per round. Which suggest that either they are consistently selecting the wrong club for their approach, or their swing is causing them to miss the green. Most likely a balance of both. While we are often taught "aim small miss small" for these average players their goal should be to just put the ball on the green, anywhere on the green they can get it. If they played with a reduced set of clubs, who's gaps are closer to the 30 yards you suggest, selecting clubs falls under picking the one who's natural distance would land the ball on the green. As greens are commonly built 30+ yards deep this should be fairly simple. The selection in many situations can be reduced to where will the natural shot with this club land on or near the green and what is the danger that particular shot can get into. If the natural shot of one's 5 iron would land their ball near the back of the green, putting themselves in a dangerous position, then stepping back one iron would allow their ball to land on or just short of the green in a safer spot. reducing the clubs available forces the player to play for much greater margins of error and simplifies what they are trying to achieve, hitting the green.
[/quote]

These things: "[color=#282828]elevation change, wind speed and direction, lie, slope at the ball, slope on/near the landing areal and ground firmness near the landing area" have nothing to do with the number of clubs you have though. Whether your clubs are gapped 10 yards or 30 yards, you still need to factor in all of those things. Most players are going to take the yardage, factor in those things, and come up with an adjusted yardage of what this shot will actually play. Again, if my clubs are gapped every 10 yards, that estimated yardage will inevitably be close to a full swing with one of my clubs, which I am more comfortable with. If I am gapped every 30 yards, not necessarily the case. Those things change nothing.[/color]

[color=#282828]Furthermore, in your scenario, even with a 90 ft green, which seems large, your options are to hit a full 5 iron, leaving you on the back or over the green, or one club less, leaving you short or on the front edge. How many "average" golfers will either try to muscle up the shorter club or take something off the longer one? Both of those options are more uncomfortable, and more difficult, for the average golfer who doesn't get to practice or play a ton. I fail to see how that is the smarter, or easier, or faster, choice than choosing a club that you know you can hit to the center of the green on a full swing.[/color]

[color=#282828]Regarding this quote: [/color][color=#282828] "If they played with a reduced set of clubs, who's gaps are closer to the 30 yards you suggest, selecting clubs falls under picking the one who's natural distance would land the ball on the green.",[/color]
[color=#282828]I don't follow. Whether you are playing with 2 clubs or 20, the average golfer is going to use this selection process. It's just that with 20 clubs, you are more likely to have one that naturally goes the needed distance on a full swing.[/color]

[quote name='SeaOfGreen10' timestamp='1450244924' post='12726328']
[color=#282828]Regarding this quote: [/color][color=#282828] "If they played with a reduced set of clubs, who's gaps are closer to the 30 yards you suggest, selecting clubs falls under picking the one who's natural distance would land the ball on the green.",[/color]
[color=#282828]I don't follow. Whether you are playing with 2 clubs or 20, the average golfer is going to use this selection process. It's just that with 20 clubs, you are more likely to have one that naturally goes the needed distance on a full swing.[/color]
[/quote]

Returning the discussion back to increasing pace of play. Fewer clubs leads to fewer equipment options and simplifies the club selection process. When selecting a club for an upcoming shot it is a faster process to eliminate clubs ill suited for the shot vs. deciding between a multitude of clubs that maybe well suited for the shot. Considering the shortcomings in an average players swing, selecting a club that will work and selecting the "perfect" club will more often than not lead to similar outcomes in play.

A common example of this is with the average player and their wedges. Often a player carrying 3 or more wedges relies on just 1 or 2 as they do not have a good grasp as to where and why they should use the others. The difference in performance between their 48 to 52, 52 to 56, and 56 to 60 is not great enough for them to recognize one's clear advantage over another. They often selectively "eliminate" clubs from their play by relying on a wedge they use most often and thus are more familiar with. While these clubs may stay in their bag they are used so infrequently that if removed would have little to no impact on the players score.

[quote name='hollabachgt' timestamp='1450280559' post='12727292']
[/quote]

Returning the discussion back to increasing pace of play. Fewer clubs leads to fewer equipment options and simplifies the club selection process. When selecting a club for an upcoming shot it is a faster process to eliminate clubs ill suited for the shot vs. deciding between a multitude of clubs that maybe well suited for the shot. Considering the shortcomings in an average players swing, selecting a club that will work and selecting the "perfect" club will more often than not lead to similar outcomes in play.

A common example of this is with the average player and their wedges. Often a player carrying 3 or more wedges relies on just 1 or 2 as they do not have a good grasp as to where and why they should use the others. The difference in performance between their 48 to 52, 52 to 56, and 56 to 60 is not great enough for them to recognize one's clear advantage over another. They often selectively "eliminate" clubs from their play by relying on a wedge they use most often and thus are more familiar with. While these clubs may stay in their bag they are used so infrequently that if removed would have little to no impact on the players score.
[/quote]

I see what you are saying to an extent. I mean their is no way to deny that less options, speeds up the decision making process. My argument though is while decision making may be faster, performance could suffer from not having the other options, resulting in more bad shots. I think an extra second or two to decide on a club is far better than the time to hit more shots that resulted from not having all the correct equipment.

referring specifically to what you are saying about wedges. I carry 4 and do have to decide on what to use around the greens. However through the versatility, on pitches and chips, I typically hit it in pretty close, to tap in range, or not some crazy putt, resulting in my often being given the putt, or having one so simple that I dont have to grind over it at all. So Maybe I read the lie for an extra second, but thats nothing compared to the time saved from hitting it so close to the hole. If I didnt have the wedge set up, I wouldnt have nearly the same proximity to the hole, resulting in more green reading, and more 2 putts, all of which slows down play.

now I dont contend that most people would hit it as close as I am referring to, but I think thats a good example of more clubs making play faster. While I dont think most people hit it that close, the options LIKELY can get them closer than they would other wise be.

[quote name='hollabachgt' timestamp='1450280559' post='12727292']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Fair enough. I understand your point on club selection. I just believe that is more than offset by the time it takes an average golfer to calculate how to make a 150 yard club go 135 yards. Which generally requires some calculation, a lot of practice swings to get the correct feel, and ultimately, a more difficult shot due to lack of practice/playing time.

[quote name='SPH' timestamp='1450284471' post='12727572']

referring specifically to what you are saying about wedges. I carry 4 and do have to decide on what to use around the greens. However through the versatility, on pitches and chips, I typically hit it in pretty close, to tap in range, or not some crazy putt, resulting in my often being given the putt, or having one so simple that I dont have to grind over it at all. So Maybe I read the lie for an extra second, but thats nothing compared to the time saved from hitting it so close to the hole. If I didnt have the wedge set up, I wouldnt have nearly the same proximity to the hole, resulting in more green reading, and more 2 putts, all of which slows down play.

[/quote]

I would presume you are far beyond an average player, and looking at your listed handicap you have confirmed that. Unlike an average players your game is consistent enough and you have put in the time to learn each wedge where you are able to take advantage of their differences. The average player has not and can easily get lost in the weeds when trying to decide which one to use for their upcoming shot.

I'm curious over your last statement. my guess is at a 3 handicap if you played and only carried 1 or 2 wedges vs your full 4 your difference in score would be on average less than 1 stroke worse and you were see little change in your pace of play.

On the whole a faster pace of play is a mindset of the player. The right player that carries 20+ clubs can be faster than the wrong player that carries 5. But the wrong player that carries 5 is also faster than the wrong player that carries 20. Its hard to force people to play faster, but players who's game has not developed to the point where they can take advantage of a full set of clubs only hinder their progress and pace by carrying them.

[quote name='hollabachgt' timestamp='1450294279' post='12728168']
[quote name='SPH' timestamp='1450284471' post='12727572']

[/quote]

I would presume you are far beyond an average player, and looking at your listed handicap you have confirmed that. Unlike an average players your game is consistent enough and you have put in the time to learn each wedge where you are able to take advantage of their differences. The average player has not and can easily get lost in the weeds when trying to decide which one to use for their upcoming shot.

I'm curious over your last statement. my guess is at a 3 handicap if you played and only carried 1 or 2 wedges vs your full 4 your difference in score would be on average less than 1 stroke worse and you were see little change in your pace of play.

On the whole a faster pace of play is a mindset of the player. The right player that carries 20+ clubs can be faster than the wrong player that carries 5. But the wrong player that carries 5 is also faster than the wrong player that carries 20. Its hard to force people to play faster, but players who's game has not developed to the point where they can take advantage of a full set of clubs only hinder their progress and pace by carrying them.
[/quote]

well totally agree with a lot of what you said. especially pace of play being a mindset thing. I mentioned in another forum that I actually dont think anything will actually change it. Good players will still be fast regardless of clubs, and slow players will still be slow. Even marshalls and course rules, etc wont really help unless the player is wiling to make the change. Its a pretty unfortunate situation.

ya totally agreed most people wouldnt get the same results with wedges. Just a point I thought Id mention! Maybe to a degree I could see how more clubs could be more beneficial to the better player as oppose to beginners. You certaintely do go about the whole process a lot faster when youve done it a million times and have a good idea of how to manipulate the club to get what you want.

You know, I actually am curious. I think I am playing tomorrow so maybe Ill just go P and Sand wedges and see how it changes things!

• 2 weeks later...

Recently started playing 11 or 12 clubs and been great for me. I started off the "test " by playing 4 rounds at 4 different courses and cataloging my shots. I found that I rarely hit my fairway wood (3 times in 4 rounds) and my 4 iron (4 times in 4 rounds), and didn't hit my 60° even once (always been more comfortable and very capable with my 56°). So now my current bag consists of:
14° driver
20.5° hybrid
5-pw
52°
56°
Putter

Hcp has stayed the exact same and I find I'm being more creative and thinking more on the course (maybe not always a good thing haha) but I think it will help me in the long term, and as hcp decreases and consistency gets better, maybe I'll add another club.

Do I hit all 14 clubs in the course of a round? Heck no. Am I glad to have them all, just in case? Heck yeah.

If abolished, the only thing I would remotely consider adding is a 62-64* wedge

Nike Vapor Fly Pro
Cobra BiO Cell 3W, 3H
Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW
Callaway MD2 T-grind 54.11, 58.9
Scotty Select Newport 2, SS Fatso 5.0