2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

14 club rule

I think it depends on the level one plays to. At hcp 18, I can shoot my usual 86-94 rounds at my home club with 14 clubs in the bag, or with 3wood, 6iron, 8iron, SW and putter. The 5 club bag just forces me to lay up to safer spots short of the green

I really like your 5 club bag and I absolutely agree that we mid caps will probably shoot the same (or better) scores with fewer clubs.

I think you should allow yourself the luxury of one more club though: how about one hybrid ?

A hybrid between the 3W and the 6I would give the versatility to get to some par fours and some par threes in regulation, still with half as many clubs as most golfers carry .

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 14 club limit is perfect. I could probably play with 13 without a problem by dropping my gap wedge and adjusting lofts on the rest of my wedges, 12 would start to get a little more troublesome.

If I remember right, the USGA adopted the rule after Lawson Little won back to back US and British AM's (I think) with 31 clubs back around 1935!

I think 14 club limit is perfect. I could probably play with 13 without a problem by dropping my gap wedge and adjusting lofts on the rest of my wedges, 12 would start to get a little more troublesome.

If I remember right, the USGA adopted the rule after Lawson Little won back to back US and British AM's (I think) with 31 clubs back around 1935!

great post so he played better with more clubs and as usual the USGA made a rule :D

Honestly I see no reason for a club limit. I always thought it had to do with helping the caddies. Today the USGA says it has to do with protecting the record book.

But I have written to them and ask if a change is even considered and they said no.

Ok lets not get me started on the USGA.

Wow, I started this thread in Feb, 2007! Forgot all about it, that being said I played Monday and carried 15 clubs because I was trying out a different driver. :D

I personally still think that they should change the rule just to mix things up a bit, would like to see a 12 club rule, 13 would be unlucky and would freak people out. JMO

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

• 11 months later...
Anyone know the origin of the 14 club rule? things like : since when, why 14 and who and were implied first?

I remember hearing this on TV and found the following story online:

http://www.scottishgolf.com/features/featu...play0271-2.html

"Now, why should I be restricted to carrying 14 clubs in my bag? Why not 13 or 15 or even bloody 16 if I feel like it? Well, because the rules of golf say so and that's that!

The 14-club rule has stood since 1939, coincidental with the outbreak of war though not a causal factor of it. To the best of my knowledge, Hitler was unaware of the 14-club rule.

I think that I would be more prepared to jettison my jigger if I could be assured that the 14 club rule had been arrived at after lengthy deliberation, the outcome of the resolution of a complex mathematical equation or the product of a furious debate in which blood had been spilt. But there is no evidence for any of this. The number 14 would appear to have been arrived at with the same intellectual effort put into the selection of a cucumber sandwich.

The apocryphal story goes that at the 1936 Walker Cup, Bobby Jones and Tony Torrance were chatting away about the number of clubs that different players carried. At that time there was no limit to the numbers of clubs carried; 20 clubs and upwards was commonplace as was caddies hernias. Doing something about limiting the number of clubs had been in the pipeline for some time without ever getting anywhere because no one could agree about what was a rational number. So the story goes that Jones remarked that he had carried 16 clubs when he won the Grand Slam in 1930. Torrance chips in with the little known fact that he had only carried 12 clubs when he was a beaten semi-finalist in the Amateur Championship the previous year at Lytham.

Lets split the difference one or other of them says and we'll make it 14. A bit far-fetched you may say remembering that I did say the story was apocryphal. But the story is given some credence when one reflects that Tony Torrance was about to become chairman of the Rules of Golf Committee and that Bobby Jones was after all Bobby Jones and essentially the USGA. It is also noteworthy that the 14 club rule was first introduced by the USGA in 1938 and it was not until 1939 and Torrance was the Rules Committee chairman that the R&A adopted and fixed the number.

Of course these chaps then could never have anticipated the angst that their decision is subjecting me to today. Nevertheless, had the bastards given it a little more thought I could be sleeping properly and not feeling guilty about my jigger.

I would be glad if you noted that I am not at all concerned about the effect of the 14-club rule on my game. Having watched Ballesteros play a par round of golf with only one club and myself enjoyed satisfactory scoring in five club competitions, I have long since been aware that the number of clubs in the bag matters not a jot. Indeed, I think it was the same actress who said to another bishop that the outcome of a good round was never dependent on the number of clubs but rather on how well they were used.

Ed's note: for another version of how we came to settle on 14 clubs, see the ScottishGolf Q&A section, page two of the Rules questions and answers. "

• 3 years later...

[b][i][size=2][size=3]This is going to have you all running for your "golf trivia and facts books". Contrary to common belief the fourteen club rule was not introduced due to limit strategies and "unfair" advantages. It was imposed mainly because of the child labor laws in this country. Prior to 1939 most caddies were young children. There were old photos taken, one in particular shown on the Golf Channel, showed a young boy about ten years old carrying a bag with over thirty clubs. They imposed the rule to make it easier for the caddy )being a child) to carry a weighty bag. Fourteen clubs was the magic number they thought that all caddies would be able to manage. So much for having an unfair advantage with extra clubs. By the way... I carry 13 most times in my bag and play to a two without the extra baggage.[/size][/size][/i][/b]

[quote name='rogolf' timestamp='1359249801' post='6305375']
[quote name='jwrogers' timestamp='1359245578' post='6305023']
I'd love to see it changed to a 10 club rule. That would bring some creativity into the game.
[/quote]

Wouldn't bother me and it would be fun to watch, but the uproar from the equipment manufacturers would be unbearable!
[/quote]

And they would object not because it would lower the sales, but because it would make the golf more difficult and drive people away from it...

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

I shutter to think about the number of strokes my driver, 3 wood, 3 iron, 4 iron, PW, and LW cost me every round. I would almost guarantee that in a perfect world, a bag with a 15* 3 wood or a 16* rescue, 21* rescue, 6-9 iron, 50*&56* wedges, and putter would save not cost me strokes.

What would my game be like if I could count on hitting a [u]dead straight[/u] 200 yd tee-shot and off the fairway, a [u]dependable[/u] 170 yd approach, have clubs I could [u]count on[/u] getting on the green from 160 yds or less [u]every time[/u]. Get the score card from your favorite courses. Plot out the shots. Do the math. Surprising, isn't it?

Would a bag like this be the first step in making my golf game a game at peace with itself? It's a very, very interesting idea.

[quote name='profsmitty' timestamp='1359378555' post='6313469']
I shutter to think about the number of strokes my driver, 3 wood, 3 iron, 4 iron, PW, and LW cost me every round. I would almost guarantee that in a perfect world, a bag with a 15* 3 wood or a 16* rescue, 21* rescue, 6-9 iron, 50*&56* wedges, and putter would save not cost me strokes.

What would my game be like if I could count on hitting a [u]dead straight[/u] 200 yd tee-shot and off the fairway, a [u]dependable[/u] 170 yd approach, have clubs I could [u]count on[/u] getting on the green from 160 yds or less [u]every time[/u]. Get the score card from your favorite courses. Plot out the shots. Do the math. Surprising, isn't it?

Would a bag like this be the first step in making my golf game a game at peace with itself? It's a very, very interesting idea.
[/quote]Early in the season, I've left the Driver, 3W and 4hybrid in the trunk (and the occasional round where I forget to put them in the bag... they don't fit in the bag with bag in the trunk). I no longer play a club higher than 58*.

It's really does shine a new light on the game than 'driver/wedge' on the par 4s.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='justinq721' timestamp='1171820760' post='450146']
when playing with friend si think a fun event is always the 3 club challenge, really brings out the best in our games
[/quote]

Now that's a cool idea

Titleist 905R 9.5*
Titleist 906f2 15*
Titleist 585h 21*
Mizuno MP-57 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*
Odyssey White Hot Pro #1 34"

I must admit that I'm comfortable with 14 clubs, and I don't want it changed primarily because I'm used to it as it is. May sound kind of dinky, but I don't see a major advantage to changing this, so for me it would just be irritating.

(Plus, I'd have to find something to do with the extra slots in my 14-hole golf bag if there wasn't a club sitting comfortably in each existing slot. Way too much pressure.)

[quote name='dlygrisse' timestamp='1171815026' post='450007']
What is everyones thoughts on changing the 14 club rule? If you think it should be changed should there be more or less clubs allowed?

I think it would be interesting if they cut the limit back to 12 clubs to encourage shot making. A typical set make up could easily be a 5* gap between all clubs and could look somehting like this

10* Driver

15* 3w

20* 3iron/hybrid/7 wood

25* 4 iron

30* 6 iron

35* 7 iron

40* 8 iron

45* 9 iron

50* Pitch/gap

55* sand

60* lob

putter

This would give nice spacing between all clubs and I would bet that most peoples scores would not change much. Of couse there could be a million other combinations on how to make up your bag, just like there is now.

My guess is that the OEM's would scream bloody murder if the USGA did this but then their marketing departments would realize the opportuniites to sell more specialty clubs and re-gap'd sets of irons etc.

Cant wait to hear everyones opinion.
[/quote]

Yes.. i would welcome a rule change to add a club , now i choose between a 16 degree hybrid and a 4 th wedge , 54 degree for the 14th club but it would be nice to have 15 clubs legal for play and carry both

My club's ladies organization has a Halloween ladies day event, where we always play some kind goofy golf. A few times we've played 18 holes with only four clubs (each individual's choice). I always use a 3-wood, 6-hybrid, 9-iron & putter.....my score has always been only 4 or 5 strokes above my average score. It makes me really think out each shot very carefully.

I've often carried fewer than 14 clubs out of practicality more than anything else. When I'm walking a course I want the bag to be as light as possible, so I take out a few clubs. However, I don't worry about my yardage gaps, I simply remove the clubs I don't hit well. So I end up with the following:

3W, 3H, 6-pw, 58* and putter

I tend to score a little better this way, so I almost never have the full 14 now. But I don't always use the same clubs for every round, so I still get use out of the others.

[quote name='DFW Snowman' timestamp='1360095148' post='6368299']
I've often carried fewer than 14 clubs out of practicality more than anything else. When I'm walking a course I want the bag to be as light as possible, so I take out a few clubs. However, I don't worry about my yardage gaps, I simply remove the clubs I don't hit well. So I end up with the following:

I tend to score a little better this way, so I almost never have the full 14 now. But I don't always use the same clubs for every round, so I still get use out of the others.
[/quote]

Wow. You are one very flexible person to change your club selections like that!

Tip of the cap!

[quote name='Sawgrass' timestamp='1360095503' post='6368337']
[quote name='DFW Snowman' timestamp='1360095148' post='6368299']

[/quote]

Wow. You are one very flexible person to change your club selections like that!

Tip of the cap!
[/quote]

Thanks! But it is probably much easier to do this when you're shooting in the 90s like me than for somebody scoring in the 70s. And for tournaments I'm fully loaded with 14 clubs.

All this talk about rule changes, again, worries me. We already have a set of rules, why not stay with it. No one has an advantage over someone else. If we are just trying to make things harder, then why? Just because as an individual you choose to play with less clubs do not force that on the rest of us. There is no reason to make changes where changes do not need to be made.

I'm a little puzzled by the folks who want to drop the official number. Because there is absolutely nothing to stop them from doing that right now. And why should THEY care about how many clubs I carry? If it is true that fewer clubs make for better shot-making and better play then they should be happy that I carry 14 because they will have an advantage over me with their better shot-making.

Or there is the person who said a lower limit would encourage more people to walk. Why should that concern anyone other than the player themself? If you enjoy walking that's fine, but let me pick how I want to play, please.

The whole thing just sound a little like people wanting to tell other peope how THEY should play. It is not a one-size-fits-all world.

If I go out for just a few holes i'll leave some clubs in the locker.

Driver or 15* hybrid. then either 4, 6 and 8 or 5, 7 and 9 in the irons, PW plus my 54* wedge. Plus my putter.

One club? the pro's choice used to be 5 iron...

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Nlh5E9SVxiE[/url]

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G10 9* Prolaunch Red Stiff
Titleist 913 17* S Plus 82 Stiff
Titleist 913 21* S Plus 70 Stiff
Mizuno MP63 4-Pw SG S300 Stiff
52 & 56 MD Players Cobalt Wedge Flex
58 Ping Tour S
Rife Bimini[/font][/size]

It's interesting that people here say it's easier for higher handicap players to play with half sets than for low handicappers.

I would argue that low-handicap players are better at half-swings, hitting those "110%" shots, short game etc. so they wouldn't be affected as badly from having to drop clubs out of the bag.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

Give me stock in Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy, Callaway, Ping, Cleveland, etc, etc... and then increase the limit to 30 clubs.

Srixon Z 785 9.5 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z F85 15 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z U85 18 Steelfiber i110 S
Srixon Z FORGED 3-9 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 46 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 Forged 50 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland RTX4 58 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11S

Bettinardi QB6 DASS High Polish
Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

[quote name='putfrdo' timestamp='1359237006' post='6304183']
[b][i][size=2][size=3]This is going to have you all running for your "golf trivia and facts books". Contrary to common belief the fourteen club rule was not introduced due to limit strategies and "unfair" advantages. It was imposed mainly because of the child labor laws in this country. Prior to 1939 most caddies were young children. There were old photos taken, one in particular shown on the Golf Channel, showed a young boy about ten years old carrying a bag with over thirty clubs. They imposed the rule to make it easier for the caddy )being a child) to carry a weighty bag. Fourteen clubs was the magic number they thought that all caddies would be able to manage. So much for having an unfair advantage with extra clubs. By the way... I carry 13 most times in my bag and play to a two without the extra baggage.[/size][/size][/i][/b]
[/quote]

Source?

I have no problem with carrying more than 14 clubs, as long as you have to actually carry them.

[quote name='putfrdo' timestamp='1359237006' post='6304183'][b][i][size=2][size=3]By the way... I carry 13 most times in my bag and play to a two without the extra baggage.[/size][/size][/i][/b]
[/quote]

the extra baggage of ONE club?!!?

Wow. that's crazy man

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip