2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Wilson Staff 50 Balls

Guysl

I picked up a dozen of these about 6 weeks ago just to see if all the clamor had any validity to it. Well the jury is in,,,,it is not just a good ball but it is THE BEST BALL I HAVE PLAYED WITH IN A LONG TIME.

It flies straight and it flies long off the tee, My drives have increased by at least 10 yards and in a lot of cases 20 or more. It flies high and lives up to the hype about compressing off the driver club face and imparting little side spin. And with irons, it is soft and accurate. As a matter, I have won two closest to the pins on par 3's on our Senior Shootouts on Wednesday.

And off the putter, it feels like butter, with "click" sound, just a muffled sound as it rolls true on the line I chose.

In my opinion,, this IS THE SENIOR Ball we all need and I suggest you pick up a sleave or two to give it a try. At under $13 for a dozen,,this is a bargain

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='jtbrown248' timestamp='1386031347' post='8239400']
Guysl

I picked up a dozen of these about 6 weeks ago just to see if all the clamor had any validity to it. Well the jury is in,,,,it is not just a good ball but it is THE BEST BALL I HAVE PLAYED WITH IN A LONG TIME.

It flies straight and it flies long off the tee, My drives have increased by at least 10 yards and in a lot of cases 20 or more. It flies high and lives up to the hype about compressing off the driver club face and imparting little side spin. And with irons, it is soft and accurate. As a matter, I have won two closest to the pins on par 3's on our Senior Shootouts on Wednesday.

And off the putter, it feels like butter, with "click" sound, just a muffled sound as it rolls true on the line I chose.

In my opinion,, this IS THE SENIOR Ball we all need and I suggest you pick up a sleave or two to give it a try. At under $13 for a dozen,,this is a bargain
[/quote]

The course where I play with my dad has a large senior clientele and the pro can't keep them in stock.

But I got some for my dad and he didn't like them. He still equates soft with short, even though he was hitting them as well as anything else (125-150 off the tee. He's nearly 80).

He likes a ball that feels like a rock. He was complaining to me the other day that Walmart doesn't have Top Flites anymore!

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

[quote name='Bella Woods' timestamp='1386112836' post='8244124']
I agree with chet schwalm -

If you like the Wilson 50s, you will probably like the Wilson Duos too.

A lot of the hickory guys play both of the above - but they would be good balls
for the classic clubs as well. Both of the balls are very durable.

I prefer the Wilson Duo between the two...........
[/quote]I picked up a dozen yellow Wilson 50's on Sunday and I played with them today after a 3 week layoff due to weather and I hit them straight and true did not lose a single ball.

I am not sure if it was me, my new "old" Ping hot dog putter or the ball, but the ball just seemed to track straight and true toward the hole. I missed birdie putts by inches which set up easy par putts.

It maybe mental but I am one sold easy swinging 62 year old. :taunt:

I think part of the popularity of these balls is the fact that they are very soft feeling (off both
woods and irons) - but are great feeling around the greens as well (both chips/pitches an
putting). I think both are an improvement on the Wilson Zip - which to me, the longer the
club you were hitting, the more distance you lost in general.

Relatively decent distance (even with somewhat faster swingspeeds) with the longer clubs
but fit in with the short game as well - and the price is right.

I play Titleist Pro V1s in the warmer weather and the Wilson Duos in the colder weather with
my Hickories and Classic clubs.

Not sure a 120 MPH swinger would want to play them with modern clubs though.....

Edit:

jtbrown248 - Its more a good technology fit for you than mental......

Bella I thought the same thing but I love to tinker and play as many different balls I can every year. I turn 40 this month but can still hit it (some days). My clubhead speed is slightly over 110mph with my x flex Titleist 910 D2. My hickory driver is a stiff Jack White Louisville. Surprisingly I get as much distance, if not more, off the driver with the Duo as I do with any premium ball. Obviously I can't spin it as much with my wedges but COMPLETELY agree with you it feels like a marshmallow

I think the Wilson balls are good for what we are talking about but don' forget the Bridgestone E6, Srixon Soft Feel and the NXT Tour S. All very good balls for play. Many people feel the Wilson balls have no feed back on putting and a difficult to get used to feeling on short approaches as the ball does not give off any click or sound. I say that you should experiment with all of the softer core balls to find the one you like. Some are more money but you can always buy just a sleeve and as long as the new balls last a sleeve covers a lot of golf. I play an NXT Tour S in yellow because of my eyesight but i have tried them all. Tad

Ordered 2 dozen orange Staff 50s last night thanks to this thread; since I only swing the driver @ about 95 mph, I'm looking forward to seeing their low compression at work.

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

Played nine yesterday using a Wilson Duo and Bridgestone e6. I have been playing the Duo all year. For me I have to give the nod to the e6 considering yesterday's 9 hole performance, but since it was such a relatively small sample size and perfect weather conditions I will continue the experiment.

[quote name='jtbrown248' timestamp='1386111506' post='8244020']
[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1386077258' post='8241458']
Thanks for the tip. Will try some out today if the pro shop has some.
[/quote]Try Walmart,,,they have them on the shelf for about $12 a dozen
[/quote]Follow up here:

Stopped in the local Walmart yesterday to pick up another dozen and they were completely out. I talked with the sports dept manager and he said they can't keep them in stock as they fly off the shelf and people are buying 2 and 3 boxes at a time.

Also, I found a good non biased review comparing the 50 with the Duo as well as other "soft" balls and I will include the link below. Their bottom line was that for the price, the 50 is the ball of choice for people with 85-95 mph swings

[url="http://golf-info-guide.com/golf-ball-tests-and-reviews/wilson-staff-fifty-elite-terrific-performance-even-better-price/"]http://golf-info-guide.com/golf-ball-tests-and-reviews/wilson-staff-fifty-elite-terrific-performance-even-better-price/[/url]

[size=5]Titleist Solo is excellent value,I've stopped buying the 'better' balls like ProVI's as the difference in cost doesn't balance with the difference in performance,I might get a bit more yardage and control with the ProVI but nothing significant.[/size]
[size=5]Srixon Soft Feel is also a very good value all-rounder,very similar to Solo in the way it plays and if really cold there is the Srixon Lady.[/size]
[size=5]Might be a bit off-putting for you macho geezers but we are talking about what works and I fondly remember my use of the old PTS80 during the winter months when balata balls were as resilient as a lump of putty. [/size]
[size=5]Don't know if the Wilson 50's are available in the UK,have played a lot with the old DX2 which I like but doesn't play as well in the wind as Solo or Soft Feel and E6 are quite expensive.[/size]

I think there is a general population that is starting to realize that the "players" balls today feel just about as hard as the surlyn 2 piece balls of the past. Here's a really interesting read from Golfwrx contributor Monte Scheinblum on the topic.

[url="https://montescheinblum.wordpress.com/2013/07/12/the-modern-golf-ball-sucks/"]https://montescheinblum.wordpress.com/2013/07/12/the-modern-golf-ball-sucks/[/url]

Budget golf.com is having a closeout on the Wilson Staff C:25 ball, $12.96 per dozen. [url="http://www.budgetgolf.com/WILSON-STAFF-C25-GOLF-BALLS.html"]Link here[/url]. I've read some pretty good reviews on them. They also carry the Duo's ($19.97) and 50's ($12.97).

This summer they were selling FG Tour blemishes for $15/dozen, I grabbed 6 of them. Unfortunately, they're out of stock on those now. That was a great deal on a great ball.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

As you guys know I'm a Wilson fan, so I do still feel some odd compulsion to buy their golf balls. A few notes:

I had sworn off the 50's based on trying the optic orange and yellow out over the last two years. I found the covers firm, and nothing like the original 50/50s. However, I noticed in a dozen at the store the other day that the white ones still have the soft covers. So where the white ones putt have a nicely muted click, the orange and yellow ones "bounce" off the putter with a click. Might have to try them again next year, but in white only.

This makes we wonder about the Duos. I only tried the yellows this year, and found the ball to come incredibly soft off the putter, even though the cover was a bit firmer. I liked it a lot, and I wonder if the white cover one feels even softer.

The old 3-piece Zip was a great ball, replaced by both a two-piece bargain ball, and the C:25. I hated the C:25 and would play the old 50/50 or the Duo over it any day of the week.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Interesting observation on the color and the hardness of covers.

Been using the wilson 50 compression ball w/ the hickory clubs and really like the feel of the full shots, especially off the tee w/ woods. Chipping and putting tho these balls don't seem to have the same feel as say a pro ball. The ball definitely seems to roll a bit further w/ chips and putts, but it's all relative once you become used to how a ball behaves I suppose. I like em! :)

Steve H
Golf, surfing, and sandwiches!

I have used Wilson DX2 Yellow as my ball of choice for nearly two years now, and have had just one ball that I managed to cleave in half in that time.

I think your friend must have had a bad batch Tad !

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Tad, I'd think the Duo would be a very good ball for your hickory friends.

I have never played a softer feeling two-piece ball that spun as well as the Duo. Most importantly to me, it feels fantastic when putting and around the green.

As for the splitting, Wilson Staff has been my main brand of ball over the past 4 years or so, and I've had no splitting or cover issues. I had heard this complaint about both the Duo and the FG Tour, but have never had the issue myself.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='dukeman' timestamp='1386188347' post='8248507']
I think there is a general population that is starting to realize that the "players" balls today feel just about as hard as the surlyn 2 piece balls of the past. Here's a really interesting read from Golfwrx contributor Monte Scheinblum on the topic.

[url="https://montescheinblum.wordpress.com/2013/07/12/the-modern-golf-ball-sucks/"]https://montescheinb...olf-ball-sucks/[/url]
[/quote]

I wouldn't put much stock in that. There's a lot of misinfo in that piece...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Last year I played the Staff 50 when the weather turned cold. Would agree with the OP that the distance held true and overall it was a nice ball in every aspect of the game. However, as temperatures warmed up this year I saw a loss in distance and only use it now for playing in colder temperatures. Great ball though at a great price. I bought 2 doz at PGATSS for $20...can't beat that.

Managed to break a reproduction mesh ball today after a hefty whack with a Gibson Spoon.

Split it down the join:

[attachment=1974941:Hickory Ball.jpg]

This was one of the balls I bought at the World Hickory Open - it's stamped St Andrews Golf Co but I think it is essentially a re-badged McIntyre 'Victor' ball. The box had a Wilson logo on the top.

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)