I believe I have stumbled upon genius....Hogans big secret!

Forewood ·  
ForewoodForewood MW2Members  316WRX Points: 0Handicap: +2Posts: 316

I am new to the forum but I'm not new to the site and I enjoy the massive amounts of knowledge from this site! You guys have connected so many dots along with my tireless research and analysis of hogan and many other great ball strikers mechanics. I'm a true student of the game and enjoy discovering new things everyday. I practice 30 hours/6 days a week so I'm constantly experimenting with new drills and theories I come across. While doing this everyday I do discover a ton of cool stuff but I think I stumbled upon the holy grail.....I do not want to come off cocky or arrogant like I "solved" the puzzle. Like I said I'm a humble student of the beautiful game we all love and just enjoy hitting hundreds of balls and trying to get a little better everyday.....

I have linked together a bunch of stuff while building my swing over the last 2-3 months. I had a swing similar to Phil mickelsons very long and languid no rush to start the downswing, very similar past parallel/cross the line arm and hand action at the transition but not as wild lower body as him, but I did have a move away from the ball w/ a "twist" or "flip release with forearms touching after impact and I always battled a two way miss. The powerful push cut and over the top toe down duck hook. It all depended on my timing that day. Well I woke up and decided I would never hit a hook again. I then began studying hogan, Nicklaus, Snead, Phil Rodgers, elk, among many other teaching and touring professionals throughout history. I have tried a lot of stuff that has helped many of which came directly from SITD and other similar instruction videos on YouTube. Well yesterday I had an "AH HA" moment and the light bulb clicked on and everything slowed down and doubled in size. The swing plane became visual instead of being a feel and the release is one of the most amazing things I've ever felt. I literally giggled and acted like a lil kid after hitting a few shots. I went back to the range today for 6 hours and did not hit one shot left. I mean I could release as hard as I want and not hit it a foot left of my target line. So this was not one of those lucky days at the range and all the feelings went away the next morning. The move is so easy and repeatable I honestly feel like I will never hit a shot less than flush ever again. And as long as you have basic athletic ability and flexibility there should be no reason why ANYONE would ever hit a hook or even off line ever again!

I think hogan mislead everyone slightly or maybe something was lost in translation. I don't believe the secret is in the dirt...I think that's just a clue. There's actually a ton of clues. And just about every clue has been a main suspect to be his secret...but the secret is actually right in front of everyone's eyes....everybody keeps looking for that one subtle move that made him swing a club the way he did and can not see the big picture right in front of their face! And I was just as guilty until 48 hours ago....

The really crazy part is there are a large group of people that already know his secret and don't even know it...and probably don't even know who Ben hogan is.....

Before I jump out on the plank and have a ton of people tell me why I'm an idiot, I'm curious if any of you guys have a best guess to what his "secret" actually was/is? I'd just like to know if I'm even in the same ball park....

Again I just stumbled across this and this website is the first place I've gone to get any feedback or opinions about hogans mechanics and his "secret." Let's get the thread started! Anyone have any theories?

Posted:

Comments

• greens hitgreens hit Members  1462WRX Points: 57Posts: 1,462 Platinum Tees
    Ben Hogan had a secret?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • GrapehunterGrapehunter Live and play with passion Members  1014WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,014
    Hogan's secret was we wore a pink thong during his practice and tournament rounds. Decreased restricted motion in his hips. Word has it that during a tournament he had ran out of fresh pink thongs to wear and so he borrowed one from his lady friend Victoria. Victoria was sworn to secrecy so not to give away this precious knowledge. To keep her quiet, Hogan gave her a significant portion of his winnings. With it she opened a chain of retail stores better known today as Victoria's Secret. The name never sat well with Hogan given the irony in the name, but Victoria knew he'd never say a word in fear one day people would finally realize what the true secret was all these years.
    Posted:
    M1 460 Driver<br /><br /><br /><br /> M1 3 Wood<br /><br /><br /><br /> M1 Hybrid<br /><br /><br /><br /> RSi TP irons PW-4<br /><br /><br /><br /> Edel Wedges 50,55,60<br /><br /><br /><br /> MACHINE M2A Converter Putter<br /><br /><br /><br /> <a href="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1012489-grapehunters-witb/" title="WITB Link" target="_blank">WITB Link</a><br />
  • SurfinTurfSurfinTurf In like Flynn with my 8802 Members  4466WRX Points: 3Posts: 4,466 Titanium Tees
    Hi everybody! First post here. I used to swing like Phil but I know Hogan's secret now even though he mislead all you folks. It ain't in the dirt either so try again. But before I tell y'all the secret why don't you tell me first. Okay?

Thruth is that Hogan shwang a shlong like a ring-a-ling-a-ding-dong bingo bango basket full of fresh pink roses. So there's your secret.
    Posted:
    TM '07 Burner TP 8.5° Protopype 80X
    TM '07 Burner TP 14.5° PX 10A2
    Adams Pro Idea Gold 18° PX HB6
    Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
    Cleveland 588 RTG 51°/56°/60°
    The Wilson 8802
  • MuskyMusky Members  1532WRX Points: 1Posts: 1,532 Bunkers
    He always added a little fresh nutmeg to most dishes. In private he would say, "You know, my secret is to always grate a little fresh nutmeg into a dish."
    Posted:
  • Golfer2334Golfer2334 Members  323WRX Points: 0Posts: 323
    The real secret is figuring out how I can skip work to practice 30 hours/6 days a week
    Posted:
  • anthanth From the Land Down Under Members  2785WRX Points: 206Handicap: 4Posts: 2,785 Titanium Tees
    When do I get to hand over my credit card details to learn this secret?
    Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 10.5
    Callaway BB Alpha 816 16
    Srixon Z H45 19 Hybrid
    Srixon Z U45 23 Utility
    Srixon Z 765/965 5 - PW
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 50 & 54
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi Toe 58
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
    TaylorMade TP5

Advertisement
  • WhatsinthebagWhatsinthebag Members  1024WRX Points: 25Handicap: 9Posts: 1,024 Bunkers

Hogan's secret was we wore a pink thong during his practice and tournament rounds. Decreased restricted motion in his hips. Word has it that during a tournament he had ran out of fresh pink thongs to wear and so he borrowed one from his lady friend Victoria. Victoria was sworn to secrecy so not to give away this precious knowledge. To keep her quiet, Hogan gave her a significant portion of his winnings. With it she opened a chain of retail stores better known today as Victoria's Secret. The name never sat well with Hogan given the irony in the name, but Victoria knew he'd never say a word in fear one day people would finally realize what the true secret was all these years.
    LOL. Well done
    Posted:
    Mp
  • FadeFade Members  1332WRX Points: 241Posts: 1,332 Platinum Tees
    I am happy for you OP. But it really isn't all that interesting to us that you found the secret. We want to know what it is.
    Posted:
  • deckdeck Off The Deck Members  3850WRX Points: 51Handicap: 8.7Posts: 3,850 Titanium Tees
    Yeah. Why come and say you found it without sharing it?

Cool story bro
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
    Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
    Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
    X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
    Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
    Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
    James Ingles Scratch Handmande
  • CwingCwing #TaylorMade TwistFace Experience 2018 Go Big Blue!!! 8x Champs. Who Dey !!! Go Bengals,Members  8355WRX Points: 333Handicap: 12.1Posts: 8,355 Titanium Tees
    Ok then
    Posted:
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5”
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    Cleveland RTX 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1
  • caniac6caniac6 Members  3350WRX Points: 993Handicap: 4Posts: 3,350 Titanium Tees
    Does anyone else think the "secret" is a myth? I can't believe that with all the high priced teachers, and detailed video, that his secret is still a secret.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462 Members  5341WRX Points: 200Handicap: ?Posts: 5,341 Titanium Tees
    Wonder if the OP will have a 2nd post?

Posted:
    SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • V-twinV-twin Members  635WRX Points: 0Posts: 635
    Get fit both body and clubs, take lessons and practice.
    Posted:
    XR 9.0 Oban Kiyoshi Tour LTD 70 Stiff
    Xhot 3 Deep 14.5 Project X 6.0
    Xhot Pro Hybrid 16,18 Project X 6.5
    Cobra Amp Forged KBS Tour +S 4-P
    Ping Anser Circa 1972 (Mint)
    CG10 58 Lob wedge, CG10 50 gap wedge
  • AsizAsiz Members  556WRX Points: 0Posts: 556
    Anybody think he'll actually tell us?
    Posted:
    GI to Blades to SGI= Golf is now fun
  • hankmoodyhankmoody Members  1821WRX Points: 126Posts: 1,821 Platinum Tees
    D- trolling OP

Have to try harder
    Posted:
    M6 10.5
    M4 3W
    Titleist 816h 21
    CF19 5-AW
    SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
    Byron Morgan 612
    V1X/ERC Soft
  • Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Spend 4+ Hours With Him on a Golf Course⛳️ The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene poolClubWRX  15940WRX Points: 1,234Posts: 15,940 ClubWRX
    First, welcome to the forum!!

Thats great that you lead with a thread image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

Post crash-

In his book, "Five Lessons," Hogan spoke of "rotating from the top," which chops, scratches & Tour Pros alike tried to "emulate," none with success. Video later broken down showed not only why no one could do as Ben advised, but the one key factor that Ben had left out of his "seminal" work:

He had already shifted his weight to the left and posted over his left leg/side at the top of his back swing, actually starting his "slide" left when his club was parallel to the ground on his back swing, so he could then "rotate like ****," because he was on his left, not on the right side, as anyone trying to follow his words in "Five Lessons" would be.

Have a great season FW image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

Richard
    Posted:
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Advertisement
  • nova6868nova6868 Members  4910WRX Points: 290Handicap: 2.1Posts: 4,910 Titanium Tees
    Worst thread ever.

What's next? Writing long posts that end with the Fresh Prince theme song?
    Posted:
  • Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Spend 4+ Hours With Him on a Golf Course⛳️ The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene poolClubWRX  15940WRX Points: 1,234Posts: 15,940 ClubWRX
    nova6868 wrote:

Worst thread ever.

What's next? Writing long posts that end with the Fresh Prince theme song?
    I've always been curious as to why, if someone doesn't like a thread or post, why do they feel compelled to waste theirs' and more especially, others' time leaving a nasty negative post? An individual, probably a nice guy, joins the board, and on his first post is excited enough about something, be it an article, book or just a thought, that he posts it here.

And THIS is how you welcome someone?

Its one thing to disagree with someone's positions, though to just leave a negative, nasty post that brings absolutely zero value to the thread? I just never have understood that. It's like Easyyy said in his "How WRX" post-

Treat others as though they were a guest at your course/club-

Is that that hard?

Forewood, again, welcome to the forum, and whether peeps agree or dissagree with your opinion or post, Thank God posts like this are the minority. It's no different than life, absorb what helps ya and what you can learn and improve from, and ignore the rest image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Have a great day Bro!

My Best,

Richard
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • sharkiesjsharkiesj Members  3167WRX Points: 314Posts: 3,167 Titanium Tees
    I know the secret. He told me before he passed away. He whispered in my ear...

"Everyone thought it was a pink thong, but it was actually white, turned red by the chaffeing of hitting all those balls."
    Posted:
  • WHC888WHC888 Members  2750WRX Points: 278Handicap: 7.9Posts: 2,750 Titanium Tees
    400_zps044be00a.jpg

Secret is in there somewhere!!
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamonds 9* w/ Fuji VENTUS
    Taylormade M5 Rocket 3 wood
    Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons KBS FLT
    Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons KBS C Taper Lite
    Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons KBS $ Taper

NIKE OVEN Engage Wedges 46* Mike Taylor Specials

ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet ws8C8Un.jpg
    ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 49* wedge / KBS $Taper
    ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 53* wedge / KBS $Taper
    ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 58* wedge / KBS $Taper

Taylormade P7TW on deck

xG7EixQ.png
  • WHC888WHC888 Members  2750WRX Points: 278Handicap: 7.9Posts: 2,750 Titanium Tees
    brad-pitt-se7en-seven-end-scene1-575x316_zps599b2626.jpg
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamonds 9* w/ Fuji VENTUS
    Taylormade M5 Rocket 3 wood
    Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons KBS FLT
    Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons KBS C Taper Lite
    Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons KBS $ Taper

NIKE OVEN Engage Wedges 46* Mike Taylor Specials

ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet ws8C8Un.jpg
    ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 49* wedge / KBS $Taper
    ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 53* wedge / KBS $Taper
    ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 58* wedge / KBS $Taper

Taylormade P7TW on deck

xG7EixQ.png

Advertisement
  • ChrizZChrizZ Members  210WRX Points: 0Posts: 210
    The real secret is that Hogan was actually a lizard.

Those **** lizard people!
    Posted:
  • Judge440Judge440 Titleist will always have my heart. Cleveland, OH USAClubWRX  2147WRX Points: 161Handicap: 5Posts: 2,147 ClubWRX
    The secret is you need to buy more clubs.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 10.5* - GD Tour AD-DI 6X 
    TaylorMade M3 15* - GD Tour AD-DI 7X
    Titleist 818H1 19* - GD Tour AD-DI 8X
    Honma T//World 747 V - KBS Tour $-Taper 130X
    Titleist SM7 Raw - 50.12F | 54.14F | 60-12D - TT TI S400
    Scotty Cameron Tour Rat

WITB Link

https://www.instagram.com/judge44o/
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer San Jose, CaClubWRX  3629WRX Points: 205Handicap: 4.1Posts: 3,629 ClubWRX
    Haaa haaa haaaa, sounds like the introduction an insurance salesman would tell you right before presenting you with the plan that will create wealth and also provide you coverage for life. Too funny. Im glad you found the secret though. Goodluck
    Posted:
    Tourstage 9* Graphite Design MJ
    Callaway Subzero 14* Hazardous Smoke 6.5
    Taylormade sldr 2 hybrid 19* 
    Callaway 3 iron C taper 110
    Bridgestone Tour B XCB 4-PW
    Callaway MD4 52/58  C taper 110
    Titleist Fast back
    Taylormade Tourpreffered X
  • North TexasNorth Texas Members  4565WRX Points: 917Posts: 4,565 Titanium Tees

Thats great that you lead with a thread image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

Post crash-

In his book, "Five Lessons," Hogan spoke of "rotating from the top," which chops, scratches & Tour Pros alike tried to "emulate," none with success. Video later broken down showed not only why no one could do as Ben advised, but the one key factor that Ben had left out of his "seminal" work:

He had already shifted his weight to the left and posted over his left leg/side at the top of his back swing, actually starting his "slide" left when his club was parallel to the ground on his back swing, so he could then "rotate like ****," because he was on his left, not on the right side, as anyone trying to follow his words in "Five Lessons" would be.

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

Richard

Hogan did state on page 93 in Five Lessons that "many top-rung golfers, sensing that their timing will be better accommodated, start to turn their hips to the left a fraction of a second before their club reaches the top of the backswing".
    Posted:
  • JimNewtonJimNewton Members  1613WRX Points: 1Handicap: 11.1Posts: 1,613 Platinum Tees
    I always thought it was that extra spike that was literally "in the dirt". Mike Maves talks about that. You can screw your feet into the ground properly and setup your turn around that point. I am so tired of these softspikes, what a joke they are ... need metal spikes image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
    Posted:
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font]° [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font]

Advertisement

Post crash-

In his book, "Five Lessons," Hogan spoke of "rotating from the top," which chops, scratches &amp; Tour Pros alike tried to "emulate," none with success. Video later broken down showed not only why no one could do as Ben advised, but the one key factor that Ben had left out of his "seminal" work:

He had already shifted his weight to the left and posted over his left leg/side at the top of his back swing, actuallbuyy starting his "slide" left when his club was parallel to the ground on his back swing, so he could then "rotate like ****," because he was on his left, not on the right side, as anyone trying to follow his words in "Five Lessons" would be.

Fairways &amp; Greens My Friend,

Richard

Hogan did state on page 93 in Five Lessons that "many top-rung golfers, sensing that their timing will be better accommodated, start to turn their hips to the left a fraction of a second before their club reaches the top of the backswing".
    Yep, absolutely.....

My Best,

Richard
    Posted:
  • rsj1360rsj1360 Member of the Resistance Members  2414WRX Points: 2Posts: 2,414 Platinum Tees
    And the secret can be yours too for three easy payments of $19.95! But wait there's more! If you act now ...
    Posted:
  • Colby327Colby327 Members  1963WRX Points: 61Handicap: 8.3Posts: 1,963 Platinum Tees
    OP, are you planning on sharing this "secret"?
    Posted:
    Ping G30 AD DI 6x
    Callaway XHP 15* AD DI 7s
    Adams A12 19* & 22* VTS Silver
    Ping S55 Nippon Modus 120x
    Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58*
    Byron Morgan Copper DH89 Mini
    WITB Link

Advertisement
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX  15098WRX Points: 1,151Posts: 15,098 ClubWRX
    rsj1360 wrote:

And the secret can be yours too for three easy payments of $19.95! But wait there's more! If you act now ...

But Wait!!

Order today and get two secrets for the price of one. Just pay separate shipping and handling!
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.