jll62's WITB - End of 2018

124»

Comments

• pdaeropdaero Lefty Boomers Posts: 6,021 ✭✭
    I love how attentive you are to your game and how that plays out with the equipment you select - I am surprised you only play wedges for a year and replace, but maybe you play significantly more golf than I do. How did you like the X-Torsion Copper 70TX you showed a few months ago? Also, how do you decipher which iron shafts play better in your set of irons and wedges than others? It seems like your knowledge and understanding of what works and what doesn't (and how you realize) is significantly fine-tuned.
    Titleist 917D2 9.5* w/ Aldila X-Torsion Copper 60TX; Titleist 915F 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X; Titleist 915H 18* w/ Diamana S+ 90 X

Titleist 716CB 3-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd; Vokey SM6 53.09*, 59.07* w/ DG TI S400

PING Anser Milled 0 34"
  • jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 2,028 ClubWRX
    pdaero wrote:

I love how attentive you are to your game and how that plays out with the equipment you select - I am surprised you only play wedges for a year and replace, but maybe you play significantly more golf than I do. How did you like the X-Torsion Copper 70TX you showed a few months ago? Also, how do you decipher which iron shafts play better in your set of irons and wedges than others? It seems like your knowledge and understanding of what works and what doesn't (and how you realize) is significantly fine-tuned.

Thanks! I’ve been playing for a long time, so I tend to know what works for me and what doesn’t. However, I've also learned that it’s easy for me to adapt to something that doesn’t fit quite right, so I have to be meticulous when selecting options. A few seasons ago I was playing iron shafts that did not fit me at all. It was that experience that caused me to be a little more data driven when selecting shafts. I choose them by a combination of best feel, best dispersion, and finally consistency of all the launch monitor data (in that order). The last iron shaft fitting I did was fairly intensive, but I can share that process with you if you'd like.

With regard to wedges, by the end of the year the grooves will have worn enough to change their performance. They'll launch a little higher and spin a little less than what I'm expecting. The game is hard enough as it is without having to adjust to clubs whose performance characteristics are changing over time, so I just replace them to get back to the baseline level of what I'm expecting. I practice twice a week and play about 60 rounds a year, with maybe 40% of those in competition. I'm sure I could probably squeeze two seasons out of them, but it's one area that I need to have dialed in, so I invest in the performance each season.

I had high hopes for the X-Torsion Copper based on some comparisons to the Tensei Orange V2 proto I read here on WRX, but the 70 just wasn't for me (a 60 may have been a better fit). I'm quite happy with the Tour AD GP-6s I have now. I've always been an S/X tweener in the driver, so the stiffer GP-6s fits pretty well. With driver shafts, I'm obviously looking for certain performance benchmarks, but there's also a feel I'm after that helps me choose between similar performing shafts. If I feel the shaft working at all in the swing, it's out. When I've found one that fits, I know it almost instantly. It's like the shaft is just an extension of my arms, if that makes sense.

I used to be known within my circle as the guy who would always have something new in the bag, but lately I've settled down. Having some empirical data behind my selections has helped remove doubt about my equipment choices and it makes it harder for me to replace a club. But I still like to test everything!
    TaylorMade M3 9.5, GD Tour AD GP-6s, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M3 T3, Tensei Pro White 70 S, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade P-770 3-4, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade RSi TP 5-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade DJ Itsy Bitsy Proto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB
  • PatsNationPatsNation Members Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    jll62 wrote:

PatsNation wrote:

You get a chance to hit the 760s yet?

Yeah. When I was at TaylorMade in late November getting a look at the 2019 product line, I was able to carve out a little time to hit a P760 6-iron. I'm intrigued. I liked the look of the head in person and thought it felt like a normal forged players CB 6-iron, as opposed to the way the P790 felt. However they're using speed foam, they seemed to have done it in such a way that didn't change the feel. Numbers on TrackMan were comparable to what I'm currently playing, but the P760 did launch a bit higher (going off memory...I didn't have my club to compare against). I'm already a high ball player, so that was a bit of a negative for me.

The biggest factor that will likely prevent me from upgrading is the total cost. I play with an iron shaft not available from TaylorMade's custom shop (C-Taper S+) and I'd have them rebuilt using MOI matching. I'm fine with the P760 being sold for $1399 at retail, but I'd have to add a few hundred more on top of that to get them built to spec. I don't think the value add is there to make that investment. Not right now, anyway.
    gotcha thanks. I’m a high ball/high spin guy as well may bend them a little strong if I end up getting them. Actually really like the look of the RS TP you play. Can get them for a good deal with c tapers.
    PatsNation wrote:

jll62 wrote:

PatsNation wrote:

You get a chance to hit the 760s yet?

Yeah. When I was at TaylorMade in late November getting a look at the 2019 product line, I was able to carve out a little time to hit a P760 6-iron. I'm intrigued. I liked the look of the head in person and thought it felt like a normal forged players CB 6-iron, as opposed to the way the P790 felt. However they're using speed foam, they seemed to have done it in such a way that didn't change the feel. Numbers on TrackMan were comparable to what I'm currently playing, but the P760 did launch a bit higher (going off memory...I didn't have my club to compare against). I'm already a high ball player, so that was a bit of a negative for me.

The biggest factor that will likely prevent me from upgrading is the total cost. I play with an iron shaft not available from TaylorMade's custom shop (C-Taper S+) and I'd have them rebuilt using MOI matching. I'm fine with the P760 being sold for $1399 at retail, but I'd have to add a few hundred more on top of that to get them built to spec. I don't think the value add is there to make that investment. Not right now, anyway.
    gotcha thanks. I'm a high ball/high spin guy as well may bend them a little strong if I end up getting them. Actually really like the look of the RS TP you play. Can get them for a good deal with c tapers.

I play my RSi TP a little strong to try and flight them down a bit. I think TaylorMade hit on a nice headshape with the RSi and I'm glad they stuck with it for their recent player's CB irons. The 750 I have at home are very similar in shape to the RSi and the 760s seem to have followed suit.
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB
    First bag change of 2019: Replaced the original UDI 2 with a P-790 UDI 2.

I have a feeling I'm just getting started...
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB
  • TitletownTitletown Members Posts: 68 ✭✭
    I love the V-Steel, such a classic club. I also love the old school UDI. Have you had any issue with the Spider putter chipping on the face? I had the Red one with the black face insert and after about 4 rounds the face with chipping near the edge of the insert, which was a real bummer because I really enjoyed that putter.

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Tensei CK Pro White 60
    Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 TS 15* Tensei CK Pro White 70
    Hybrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Tensei CK Pro White 90
    Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 4i-9i KBS $-Taper 120
    Wedges: Mizuno T7 46/50/54/58 KBS $-Taper 120
    Putter: Edel E-5 Torgue Balaned
    Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Titletown wrote:

I love the V-Steel, such a classic club. I also love the old school UDI. Have you had any issue with the Spider putter chipping on the face? I had the Red one with the black face insert and after about 4 rounds the face with chipping near the edge of the insert, which was a real bummer because I really enjoyed that putter.

I'll be honest, TaylorMade putters have had a well-deserved reputation for paint chipping. No doubt about it. But what I've found is that just being mindful of the putter helps tremendously. Keep the head cover on at all times and if you're walking to the green with other clubs, be careful that the wedges aren't banging into the putter head. It's not difficult.

Here are pics of my Jason Day Itsy Bitsy Proto. This was my gamer for over two full seasons. I haven't had any chipping around the face. There's a little chip on the top, a couple of chips on the toe, and a little bit around the top of the neck where the head cover doesn't protect. Along with that, there's a little paint wear from the head cover on the left rear bumper, and wear from turf/sand on the bottom of the top bumper. All in all, this is pretty clean for 2 years of play and practice. The chips on the top and the toe are 100% my fault for letting something bang into the putter.
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB
    New 3-iron in the bag for testing: P760 with C-Taper S. Have a funny feeling this could lead to a bag full of P760...
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB
    edited Jan 30, 2019 8:26am #100
    jll62 wrote:

New 3-iron in the bag for testing: P760 with C-Taper S. Have a funny feeling this could lead to a bag full of P760...
    I keep going back to the store to see the P760s. Got a feeling I will end up with a full bag as well bent 1 strong when weather warms up. Debating 790 4 iron tho
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    PatsNation wrote:

jll62 wrote:

I keep going back to the store to see the P760s. Got a feeling I will end up with a full bag as well bent 1 strong when weather warms up. Debating 790 4 iron tho

They have really grown on me to the point where I love the look. I was going to wait until I could do more testing on turf, but if I like the feel of the 3 iron, I don't think I'll be able to hold out for too long. I already have a set of shafts waiting to install.

I like the idea of a P790 4 iron at the top. I considered a P790 for the 3 iron, but decided to stick with the progression in the 760
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB
    jll62 wrote:

PatsNation wrote:

jll62 wrote:

They have really grown on me to the point where I love the look. I was going to wait until I could do more testing on turf, but if I like the feel of the 3 iron, I don't think I'll be able to hold out for too long. I already have a set of shafts waiting to install.

I like the idea of a P790 4 iron at the top. I considered a P790 for the 3 iron, but decided to stick with the progression in the 760
    Yeah im with you. Thought the first pictures out were pretty bad. Now I actually think they are a very good looking iron. Just need to decide what to do on the 4 iron end before I pull the trigger
  • JonnyKrasnodarJonnyKrasnodar Members Posts: 1,825 ✭✭
    Really solid bag throughout. The 790 UDI looks great and will definitely get a lot of attention over the next few days.

Putter looks sweet, the wrong shape for my eye though at address.