Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 vs X100 Iron shafts

lars29

So I was lucky enough to win a British Open contest for a set of Dynamic Gold Tour Issue iron shafts. I get to choose between the X100 or S400 flex options. I've only been golfing for 6 years, and aside from starting with borrowed clubs, I have only played my irons from the Adams Tight Lies 1012 complete set I bought in 2010.

I am an inconsistent player, slowly improving. I'll usually be in the low to mid 90's. Never have taken lessons because my golf budget is fairly tight, and I'm "good" enough to have fun playing as-is and taking small steps forward. My iron distances are about 140-PW, 150-9 iron, 160-8 iron, etc. Probably a "medium" ball flight, but again my inconsistency keeps me from having a true reliable ball flight.

So that's some background to help you answer my questions. Which of the 2 flexes (S400 or X100) would you recommend for me? What iron heads would you pair these shafts with, in my situation? I'm not much of a club tinkerer...seems like there's not much market just for un-shafted heads out there. Will having these nice shafts even help my game as it is? Could they be too much for me and hurt my game? Am I better off trying to sell them to someone who they'd be of more use to? It's a good problem to have, but I'm kind of like "now what?"...

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

BTW...first time poster, long time reader :)

It's a crapshoot, but I would say x100's. The thing is, they aren't any different from standard Dynamic Gold except that they have a tighter weight tolerance. You could sell them, buy standard x100's (or really any shaft you wanted) and still have some money in your pocket. Still, they are a good shaft, and would add resale value to anything you pair with them. No idea about heads you would need, but I would say find a forged set of heads to go with them.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

My personal opinion?

Flex to my is not the biggest issues. Its the static weight.

The heavier the shaft generally the better for those with quick/fast tempo/transition

If you have a really really fast tempo then the heavier of the 2 would be the best so the S400 shafts.

If you have a fast or hard tempo, then the X100 should be more than enough.

Flex I feel helps with dispersion more than distance as it helps keep the shaft stable. (again opinion for me,) While yes flex dictates loading and unloading of the shaft, I feel the stable loading will help with consistency

Dont let anyone tell you just because you shoot X score you CANT play X iron or shaft.

So 2 direct questions out side of your actually distances you have already

1) How is your tempo, Slow, Medium, Fast, Really really ludicrous speed?
2) How is your dispersion, if you hit 10 PWs at the 120 yard marker could you hit it within a 15 yard circle?

from there I can give you a better opinion!

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

A 160 yard 8-iron suggests an S400. No way I'd go X100 coming from those Adam's clubs. Dynamic Gold is HEAVY and they will feel like lead pipe compared to the stock shafts you have too. This feeling will be doubly so if you go with the stiffer X100.

Honestly, I think you'd be best off selling the shafts and spending the money on some more appropriate clubs. A nice set of Ping G25's or similar with stock CFS S shafts. Those will be plenty strong for you at this point in your golf progression.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1437511926' post='11994480']
A 160 yard 8-iron suggests an S400. No way I'd go X100 coming from those Adam's clubs. Dynamic Gold is HEAVY and they will feel like lead pipe compared to the stock shafts you have too. This feeling will be doubly so if you go with the stiffer X100.

Honestly, I think you'd be best off selling the shafts and spending the money on some more appropriate clubs. A nice set of Ping G25's or similar with stock CFS S shafts. Those will be plenty strong for you at this point in your golf progression.
[/quote]

Ness, The S400 are slightly heavier than the X100,

BTW I hit my 8iron 150 yards and play X100 no problem, way better than my Dynalite S300's where I can hit it 155.... but left right, up down, backwards somtimes LOL!

• Like 1

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1437512342' post='11994502']

[/quote]

[/quote]

by 4 grams.... Which no one can tell the difference in.

[quote name='pinhigh27' timestamp='1437512638' post='11994536']
[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1437512342' post='11994502']

[/quote]

[/quote]

by 4 grams.... Which no one can tell the difference in.
[/quote]

While you are correct.......I think its 2 grams hahaah... but the question then is why make those shafts in the first place LOL....

I know I cant tell the difference... but some might..... again its fine tuning at this point..... While I know nothing about op just throwing out info to help them make a better decision... and respectfully adding correct information! =)

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[/quote]

Well this is why I was a little apprehensive. I'm in the market for an upgraded set of irons, but worry that these are "too much" for me, and I would be better selling and using the money towards a nice set I can play off the rack and not have to fiddle with. Weight-wise, I'm 29, in fair shape and do some weight lifting in the offseason...so from that aspect I could maybe handle heavier irons, but still, it's not what I'm used to, like you said. And then there are other people telling me to go with the X100's because it's not all about what score I shoot....therein lies my dilemma!

[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1437511670' post='11994460']
My personal opinion?

The heavier the shaft generally the better for those with quick/fast tempo/transition

If you have a really really fast tempo then the heavier of the 2 would be the best so the S400 shafts.

Flex I feel helps with dispersion more than distance as it helps keep the shaft stable. (again opinion for me,) While yes flex dictates loading and unloading of the shaft, I feel the stable loading will help with consistency

Dont let anyone tell you just because you shoot X score you CANT play X iron or shaft.

2) How is your dispersion, if you hit 10 PWs at the 120 yard marker could you hit it within a 15 yard circle?

[/quote]

1) I'd say my tempo is fast, but definitely not really really ludicrously fast. It's naturally kind of fast, and sometimes I try to tone it down a bit for the sake of accuracy, which sometimes helps and sometimes just throws my timing off more than usual.

2) Hmm...depends on how I'm hitting it that day! Assuming I'm warmed up and have hit a handful of shots to figure out what my swing is doing that day...maybe 5 or 6? I usually have plenty of opportunities to get up and down from around the green :)

My personal opinion?

1) I'd say my tempo is fast, but definitely not really really ludicrously fast. It's naturally kind of fast, and sometimes I try to tone it down a bit for the sake of accuracy, which sometimes helps and sometimes just throws my timing off more than usual.

2) Hmm...depends on how I'm hitting it that day! Assuming I'm warmed up and have hit a handful of shots to figure out what my swing is doing that day...maybe 5 or 6? I usually have plenty of opportunities to get up and down from around the green :)

By your response, and out of personal opinion

The X100 should be fine then.... I think you hit it a fine distance.

Regular flex, would probably give you some horrible dispersion issues,

Stiff would be fine for you as would be X stiff, the difference in the 2 personally would be couple yards but what would really be a difference is the actually dispersion.

X100 in static weight is not going to make a difference from the S400 (Tour ISSUE models) 2 grams difference.......so really no drawbacks on both sides, I just think based on the actually distance you get out of the 8 iron (160yards, I think thats pretty massive)

CarryDistanceSwingSpeedChart.jpg

So while being up their in swing speed the flex and weight will probably help you out especially as you improve!

again all my $0.02..........some random dude on the internet!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

DG X100 are the most popular iron shafts on the PGA tour. Guys that hit their 8-iron a LOT farther than Mr. lars.

Ebay prices suggest those shafts are worth about $200. Sell them and put the money toward a nice set of GI clubs. Ping G-series or similar. You will get a lot more bang for your buck that way compared to using shafts that are going to feel really heavy and stiff compared to what you have now.

My personal opinion?

By your response, and out of personal opinion

The X100 should be fine then.... I think you hit it a fine distance.

Regular flex, would probably give you some horrible dispersion issues,

Stiff would be fine for you as would be X stiff, the difference in the 2 personally would be couple yards but what would really be a difference is the actually dispersion.

X100 in static weight is not going to make a difference from the S400 (Tour ISSUE models) 2 grams difference.......so really no drawbacks on both sides, I just think based on the actually distance you get out of the 8 iron (160yards, I think thats pretty massive)

CarryDistanceSwingSpeedChart.jpg

So while being up their in swing speed the flex and weight will probably help you out especially as you improve!

again all my $0.02..........some random dude on the internet!

I appreciate help from random dudes, especially when they seem well-informed (and undoubtedly more so than me on this subject).

I think I agree with the X100's, from what you're saying. I'm really not that concerned with losing some iron distance, I know that improving my accuracy/disperson will help my game a lot more than losing some yards will. Obviously the shafts can't cure an inconsistent swing, but if they can help a little...every bit helps.

What I was more worried about is that they would be "less forgiving" as they may be tailored to better players who always hit the ball how they want it. But maybe that is more about the clubhead than the shaft? Pardon my ignorance on all that, I'm a bit of a newbie on the equipment technicalities.

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1437514457' post='11994728']
DG X100 are the most popular iron shafts on the PGA tour. Guys that hit their 8-iron a LOT farther than Mr. lars.

Ebay prices suggest those shafts are worth about $200. Sell them and put the money toward a nice set of GI clubs. Ping G-series or similar. You will get a lot more bang for your buck that way compared to using shafts that are going to feel really heavy and stiff compared to what you have now.
[/quote]

So either way, keep or sell, it sounds like I should go with the X100's. That would be 1 decision down anyways...then what to do with them.

My last response in this thread is to say that you should NOT be using X100 and it's incorrect to think that playing a shaft that stiff will improve your shot accuracy and general performance.

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1437515184' post='11994818']
My last response in this thread is to say that you should NOT be using X100 and it's incorrect to think that playing a shaft that stiff will improve your shot accuracy and general performance.
[/quote]

Even if the other option is a (barely) heavier S400?

Do you think one option would have a larger market and be easier to sell, if I was to go that route as you suggest?

[/quote]

LOL Ness, I agree.... I cant fathom the distance these guys get on tour, but I am basing it purely on expected swing speed and if a heavier static weight will help or not. In any case, if the clubs dont work for him..... he sure can sell them for a pretty penny! Didnt realize a nice set of X100 could go for $200 I got 2 sets of them! Thats a new driver haahah!!!!
[quote name='lars29' timestamp='1437514642' post='11994756']
I appreciate help from random dudes, especially when they seem well-informed (and undoubtedly more so than me on this subject).

I think I agree with the X100's, from what you're saying. I'm really not that concerned with losing some iron distance, I know that improving my accuracy/disperson will help my game a lot more than losing some yards will. Obviously the shafts can't cure an inconsistent swing, but if they can help a little...every bit helps.

What I was more worried about is that they would be "less forgiving" as they may be tailored to better players who don't always hit the ball how they want it. But maybe that is more about the clubhead than the shaft? Pardon my ignorance on all that, I'm a bit of a newbie on the equipment technicalities.
[/quote]

Well based on my recent research and couple ahha moments....here are some additional thoughts....

"X" shafts were a baseline design, while pro's get their exact spec, us mere mortals have still a vast variety to choose from,

Forgiveness through the shaft....hmmmm.....dont see it being a factor in my opinion, as compared to how well your swing putts the club to the ball.

Now couple things I see is how the overall club balance affects your personal swing. So again, finding a shaft, combo with the club head that meets your ball flight and visual appeal is another animal. (Static Weight, Swing weight etc)

Ness suggest some Ping Series Irons, while pings personally I think are some of the best GI series irons made.....ultimately the club head will be your personal decision, but getting the right shaft balance for your swing then putting basically any head on the end of the shaft is where its going to make a difference. In head design what to you like?

PS. When I type "X" shaft I dont mean extra stiff, I mean "X as a random shaft"

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1437515687' post='11994860']

[/quote]

LOL Ness, I agree.... I cant fathom the distance these guys get on tour, but I am basing it purely on expected swing speed and if a heavier static weight will help or not. In any case, if the clubs dont work for him..... he sure can sell them for a pretty penny! Didnt realize a nice set of X100 could go for $200 I got 2 sets of them! Thats a new driver haahah!!!!
[quote name='lars29' timestamp='1437514642' post='11994756']

What I was more worried about is that they would be "less forgiving" as they may be tailored to better players who don't always hit the ball how they want it. But maybe that is more about the clubhead than the shaft? Pardon my ignorance on all that, I'm a bit of a newbie on the equipment technicalities.
[/quote]

Well based on my recent research and couple ahha moments....here are some additional thoughts....

"X" shafts were a baseline design, while pro's get their exact spec, us mere mortals have still a vast variety to choose from,

Forgiveness through the shaft....hmmmm.....dont see it being a factor in my opinion, as compared to how well your swing putts the club to the ball.

Now couple things I see is how the overall club balance affects your personal swing. So again, finding a shaft, combo with the club head that meets your ball flight and visual appeal is another animal. (Static Weight, Swing weight etc)

Ness suggest some Ping Series Irons, while pings personally I think are some of the best GI series irons made.....ultimately the club head will be your personal decision, but getting the right shaft balance for your swing then putting basically any head on the end of the shaft is where its going to make a difference. In head design what to you like?

PS. When I type "X" shaft I dont mean extra stiff, I mean "X as a random shaft"
[/quote]

What do I like in head design? Ideally something that only allows me to hit it straight ;). Actually...this is part of my problem. I've really only used my current set, so I don't exactly know "what I like". I know when my swing happens to be "on", my current set is plenty capable of producing good shots for me. And when it's "off", well probably no shaft/head combo could do me much good. The more I think about all this, the more I'm inclined to think selling is the best option, and use the $ toward a new set and possibly a fitting where I get to try some different options. I'd feel kinda bad winning a prize and then just selling it, but I'm sure I'd get over it.

My last response in this thread is to say that[b] you should NOT be using X100[/b] and it's incorrect to think that playing a shaft that stiff will improve your shot accuracy and general performance.
[/quote]

Well that rock has been turned over.... what the hell......

Please.....enlighten "ME".... why he should not be playing X100, I have brought info to the table based off experience, but all you have said is that he should not be playing them.

While this post may be coming of as antagonistic....I question you only for my own knowledge. Maybe the way I think is wrong, so I want to verify my thoughts with someone else that does not agree...

More so now you are saying that he should not be playing stiff or X stiff why? His 8 iron is some what indicative of his ability to swing an Xstiff shaft..... while I know nothing of his swing based on the swing chart BTW I got from GolfWRX.....its somewhat justifies.

Lastly, dispersion from flex again this is personal opinion but again giving OP food for thought.......not a definitive answer............I know this has been discussed......... it goes both ways.... but its not "Wrong" to think that way....there are some merits.......

OP.... BTW.... You said you play adams tightlies 1012.... what shafts are in there now?

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1437516460' post='11994924']
My last response in this thread is to say that[b] you should NOT be using X100[/b] and it's incorrect to think that playing a shaft that stiff will improve your shot accuracy and general performance.
[/quote]

Please.....enlighten "ME".... why he should not be playing X100, I have brought info to the table based off experience, but all you have said is that he should not be playing them.

While this post may be coming of as antagonistic....I question you only for my own knowledge. Maybe the way I think is wrong, so I want to verify my thoughts with someone else that does not agree...

More so now you are saying that he should not be playing stiff or X stiff why? His 8 iron is some what indicative of his ability to swing an Xstiff shaft..... while I know nothing of his swing based on the swing chart BTW I got from GolfWRX.....its somewhat justifies.

Lastly, dispersion from flex again this is personal opinion but again giving OP food for thought.......not a definitive answer............I know this has been discussed......... it goes both ways.... but its not "Wrong" to think that way....there are some merits.......

OP.... BTW.... You said you play adams tightlies 1012.... what shafts are in there now?
[/quote]

I just have the stock shaft, it's "Uniflex" which I was told is somewhere between regular and stiff. The sticker on them says something like "AdamsGolf Tight Lies Performance", it doesn't have any specific shaft manufacturer given anywhere, so I don't know if Adams actually makes their own shafts or not...it's maybe common knowledge though to those who are informed on such things.

If you're hitting a 150 9i consistently, then you absolutely can be playing X100's. Now, whether they're the right fit for you in terms of weight and profile is another story. But swing speed alone, you'd fit just fine (without knowing anything about loading and transition).

They're really not the beasts that people make them out to be.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

[quote name='Fade to Black' timestamp='1437521819' post='11995434']
If you're hitting a 150 9i consistently, then you absolutely can be playing X100's. Now, whether they're the right fit for you in terms of weight and profile is another story. But swing speed alone, you'd fit just fine (without knowing anything about loading and transition).

[b]They're really not the beasts that people make them out to be.[/b]
[/quote]

this so much. I have an x100 in my 3 iron and I can hit it stupid high if I want. Not to mention if he's hitting 9i 150 with a starter set, he might gain a little yardage with some nice new irons.

[quote name='lars29' timestamp='1437521151' post='11995368']
[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1437516460' post='11994924']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I just have the stock shaft, it's "Uniflex" which I was told is somewhere between regular and stiff. The sticker on them says something like "AdamsGolf Tight Lies Performance", it doesn't have any specific shaft manufacturer given anywhere, so I don't know if Adams actually makes their own shafts or not...it's maybe common knowledge though to those who are informed on such things.
[/quote]

I cant say anything about stock shaft offerings for Adams..... but I will just throw it out....... Im sure you are improving and the fact you swing hard enough for your 8iron to go 160....... Im sure you are good enough for stiff or better, Again personally shaft flex is not a big deal to me, but static weight....

If you have chance to get fitted do it....if not if you have a big box store to hit a bunch of stuff..... go grab some used 7irons off the racks and try them in all differnt types of weight from graphite, to steel, from extra light, to heavy..... so what feels and what seems to be giving you the best numbers

thats truly the only way to really see.... not some random internet people LOL!.... I have been known to be wrong many of times LOL!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

X100 shaft is about the same flex as an S300. The difference is that the X100 has a higher kick point meaning the ball flight is going to be several degrees lower (4-5 degrees or so). It may take a bit harder swing to torque the shaft with an X100 shaft. I used to have a flex equivalency chart from True Temper years ago that illustrated the comparison of stiffness between shaft flex. I remember the X100 and S300 were at the same shaft flex.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

[quote name='lars29' timestamp='1437510289' post='11994314']
I've only been golfing for 6 years, and aside from starting with borrowed clubs, I have only played my irons from the Adams Tight Lies 1012 complete set I bought in 2010.

I am an inconsistent player, slowly improving. I'll usually be in the low to mid 90's. Never have taken lessons because my golf budget is fairly tight, and I'm "good" enough to have fun playing as-is and taking small steps forward. My iron distances are about 140-PW, 150-9 iron, 160-8 iron, etc. Probably a "medium" ball flight, but again my inconsistency keeps me from having a true reliable ball flight.

[/quote]look dude, I'm thrilled you won the shafts, congrats. but we need a truth session here. no offense, you shouldn't go anywhere near them being installed in clubs. and lets say you do it, definitely NOT in X100. you're quoting "about" yardages with "mid" ballflight. and you hit an Adams starter set with probably some lightweight uniflex steel in them. and I'm sure this is TOTAL yardages you hit one of those irons every once in a while under the right circumstances. not your real world, every swing, carry in the air yardages. honestly, do you really know how far you FLY each of your irons? amongst these posters I actually play the Dynamic Gold Tour Issue and actually FLY my 7iron 170-75. they are S400. take delivery of the shafts. sell them for 200 bucks or so, you could even find someone on here. and then take the $$$ and get properly fitted for your next new set with more appropriate shaft choices. :good:

[url="https://youtu.be/mFSBWbgrfUk"]https://youtu.be/mFSBWbgrfUk[/url]

[quote name='Kenny Lee Puckett' timestamp='1437526147' post='11995836']
[quote name='lars29' timestamp='1437510289' post='11994314']
I've only been golfing for 6 years, and aside from starting with borrowed clubs, I have only played my irons from the Adams Tight Lies 1012 complete set I bought in 2010.

[/quote]look dude, I'm thrilled you won the shafts, congrats. but we need a truth session here. no offense you shouldn't go anywhere near them being installed in clubs. and lets say you do it, definitely NOT in a X100. you're quoting "about" yardages with "mid" ballflight. and you hit an Adams starter set with probably some lightweight uniflex steel in them. and I'm sure this is TOTAL yardages you hit one of those irons every once in a while under the right circumstances. not your real world carry yardages. honestly, do you really know how far you FLY each of your irons? amongst these posters I actually play the Dynamic Gold Tour Issue and actually FLY my 7iron 170-75. they are S400. take delivery of the shafts. sell them for 200 bucks or so, you could even find someone on here. and then take the $$$ and get properly fitted for your next new set.

[url="https://youtu.be/mFSBWbgrfUk"]https://youtu.be/mFSBWbgrfUk[/url]
[/quote]

I'm the first to admit I'm not a great golfer, but those yardages are legit and conservative (meaning anything 140-149ish I play PW and so on, given no wind or elevation) carry distances for when I put a nice strike on the ball. I've played enough to know how far I can hit my clubs that I've had for 6 years. Perhaps I de-loft my irons in my swing to achieve that distance, but my balls usually stop on the green 10-15 feet or less from my ball mark, depending on the club. They are not just thin laser shots that roll forever. Yes my current set is Uniflex, but why is it tough to believe that an intermediate golfer under 30 years old who takes care of his body could have a decent swing speed?

Despite the patting-my-head tone of your post though, I will probably end up trying to sell them first. Probably would be better served doing what you and some others have suggested.