Surprising Kuchar Arm Lock hasn't taken off more?

left hand low

A lot of people thought this was the wave of the future when they outlawed anchoring, but has it really caught on? I play in a lot of tournaments and around at other courses and I haven't seen it at all. Nobody else on any of the tours do it that I have seen either. Why hasn't it taken off like we thought?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that might catch on as well. My brother and son in law tried it for awhile but found it too mechanical. I tried it with the son in law's Bette and just did not feel it either. It was ok for short putts but I struggled with long lags. I think Kuch has the right tall body style to make it comfortable for him. With the arm lock it is critical to have the putter set up perfectly.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Aren't Webb Simpson and Keegan Bradley both using a version of it?

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

I'm surprised more guys on the tour aren't using it, but it is a pretty drastic setup/mechanics change so maybe that's why. I think the belly was so popular cause guys could setup like they have for 30 years but then just stick the end in their gut. I'm not surprised it hasn't taken off at the club level because I think its one of those things you really have to tinker with to find the right length/loft/lie combo and your weekend warrior ain't gonna go that far.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

I've tried it with my friends putter and hated it. It's different like knock it close said. Not sure it will catch on like belly putting

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I'm surprised more guys on the tour aren't using it, but it is a pretty drastic setup/mechanics change so maybe that's why. I think the belly was so popular cause guys could setup like they have for 30 years but then just stick the end in their gut. I'm not surprised it hasn't taken off at the club level because I think its one of those things you really have to tinker with to find the right length/loft/lie combo and your weekend warrior ain't gonna go that far.

I agree with this. I think the problem is you need a pretty weird putter to try it. I haven't seen many putters like this that would allow me to try it at the local golf galaxy. Unless there are going to be a few versions in every pro shop, it will never really show up in many weekend golfer's bags.

biggest issue is its very very sensitive to length... you have to get the butt end of the grip into about a 1 inch spot on the forearm for it to feel correct... most all off teh rack ones are too short for me (im tall)and they feel so bad id rather putt with a sand wedge..... ive used one that was correct length and i still hated it ... its for the truly lost putter who has no feel to begin with

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

biggest issue is its very very sensitive to length... you have to get the butt end of the grip into about a 1 inch spot on the forearm for it to feel correct... most all off teh rack ones are too short for me (im tall)and they feel so bad id rather putt with a sand wedge..... ive used one that was correct length and i still hated it ... its for the truly lost putter who has no feel to begin with

I was a great putter before, I'm still a great putter with the arm lock. Feel is probably the only thing in my game that got me to + territory, sorry to shoot down your theory so quickly.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Though it would have surprised me in the past, it doesn't surprise me one bit now. ANY change requires some commitment to work, and most people just don't have the time or motivation to do that. I really, truly believe with all my heart that putting from a "conventional" stance with a "conventional" grip is THE worst way to roll a golf ball that there is, but it persists because making changes is hard and takes time.

I was a HS basketball coach for 39 years, and one of the most common scenarios that comes up is making VERY small changes to a player's shot. The first thing a kid will say is "That feels weird!". But the real issue is that there is a period during which the player might shoot no better, if not worse, until the change takes full effect. At basketball practice, I could deal with that; I had a whistle and a stopwatch and a bench to motivate players to make a needed change.

There are small changes to putting that a guy who plays once or twice a week and doesn't have time to practice can make. Going left hand low, for instance, can be tried and can work immediately. I'd put the claw/saw grip one notch up from there in terms of difficulty of implementing, but that's about the end of it UNLESS someone is putting so badly due to the yips that anything would help.

But the arm lock isn't that way, and neither is side saddle. That magnitude of change takes intentional practice, a period of adjustment, an investment in equipment, and at least SOME knowledge of method. There just aren't that many people who are going to do that.

FWIW, I've never played a round of golf with ANYBODY using the arm lock method, and I play a LOT of golf with a LOT of different people. That's not because it's an inferior method; it's because change is hard and major change is major hard.

Having done a lot of experimenting with arm lock, the following is my experience...

Arm lock putting can fit within your current stance only when properly fit (which is not simply a few more degrees loft and a length based upon your height). If this is done properly, putting arm lock it is a "minor" adjustment to a forward press type grip, and provides a lot of stability locking up the wrists for a shoulder rock type stroke.

The factors I found most important are ball position and the angle of the left fore arm when taking my stance, and the associated length from my left elbow to the ball (which is a function of the angle, ball position, my height, and crouch). With this, you can properly fit the putter length and angle to your stance (where the additional "loft" should come from shaft lean, not actually loft of the putter head).

If all of these factors are not considered, chances are you will be changing your putting stroke, stance, and/or ball position to fit the arm lock putter, which can be very awkward.

Did you watch the Memorial this past weekend? Kucher was using a conventional overlap grip (right hand low). Not sure if the grip change was temporary or what. Now, I wonder if Bettinardi will still sell the Kucher putter with high loft for the left hand lock grip now he has changed his grip.

Can you explain what you mean? I didn't watch. He's never been left hand low with the arm lock.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

I was a great putter before, I'm still a great putter with the arm lock. Feel is probably the only thing in my game that got me to + territory, sorry to shoot down your theory so quickly.

would have to argue that if you didnt improve with it then why do it ? obviously you arent a horrible putter and a +6....but it must have made a difference or else why ? everythings relative.... among other + caps how good of a putter where you without the armlock ?

edit.... im not trying to be a pain... I have a great friend who is a senior pro who is a former belly putter... he was and is a great putter most days.. BUT after having to drop the belly putter he literally just got the yips.... he refused to prctice and actually try to go conventional... even though ive played with him when he putted conventionally without a 3 putt.....( so he could do it ) then he went armlock and now all is good..... I truly think its more of a placebo effect than real... But im also a believer that feel is real , as in real enough that its all that matters.. so placebo or not i would use what works... he is one example of someone who just needs that mind crutch to lean on ...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• 4 months later...

I have been an armlock guy for years now. Definately work better than conventional for me. Set up of the club specs to your frame is key. No arm lock off the rack will fit anyone, that's why so few people have converted. It feels awkward because the putter off the rack does not fit you. If it fits you, it feels natural...

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock